Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2020, 06:06 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

I really wanted to watch Zach Wilson play this weekend, but apparently BYU was off. I didn't want to see any highlight films, because they tend to be skewed to just feature the positives. Luckily, Youtube had the full 2 1/2 hr. game that was played between BYU and La. Tech back on Oct. 2. Here I would get to see every throw the kid made. I was coming in completely blind as I had never watched this kid play before and frankly, my expectations were kinda low. That changed greatly.

My first impression when they showed his face was that he looked like he had the head of a 15 year old boy on a man's body. I immediately started thinking about Johnny Manziel. Luckily, he erased that thought very quickly. On the first drive of the game, he started flashing. I immediately noticed the arm strength and quick release. He gets rid of the ball immediately and with some zip. He is extremely accurate. He was 24/26 in the game I saw for over 300 yards. The difference between him and other QB's I have seen is that Wilson's receivers were not running free. The catches were contested and he would place the ball in areas where only his receivers could catch it. He was making NFL throws.

He also impressed me as a scrambler. He bought time with his legs and unlike other QB's who just take off and run when the pocket collapses, he kept his head up and kept scanning the field to find open receivers. His passing accuracy while on the run was just as good as when he had a clean pocket. I was kinda "blown away" how poised this kid looks. I'm also kind of ashamed that this is the first time I have gotten to see him play. How have I not seen him before?

During the game, they were also talking about how the coaches said he was an extremely hard worker and actually watches more film than they do. That's always a good sign as well. It shows he wants to continue to get better and isn't just relying on his God given talents. Obviously, I'm gonna have to see more games of his before I make a final assessment, but right now, I'm impressed. Very impressed. I'm gonna be looking for more games of his to watch online, since BYU doesn't play again until Dec. 12.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-29-2020, 06:04 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I really wanted to watch Zach Wilson play this weekend, but apparently BYU was off. I didn't want to see any highlight films, because they tend to be skewed to just feature the positives. Luckily, Youtube had the full 2 1/2 hr. game that was played between BYU and La. Tech back on Oct. 2. Here I would get to see every throw the kid made. I was coming in completely blind as I had never watched this kid play before and frankly, my expectations were kinda low. That changed greatly.

My first impression when they showed his face was that he looked like he had the head of a 15 year old boy on a man's body. I immediately started thinking about Johnny Manziel. Luckily, he erased that thought very quickly. On the first drive of the game, he started flashing. I immediately noticed the arm strength and quick release. He gets rid of the ball immediately and with some zip. He is extremely accurate. He was 24/26 in the game I saw for over 300 yards. The difference between him and other QB's I have seen is that Wilson's receivers were not running free. The catches were contested and he would place the ball in areas where only his receivers could catch it. He was making NFL throws.

He also impressed me as a scrambler. He bought time with his legs and unlike other QB's who just take off and run when the pocket collapses, he kept his head up and kept scanning the field to find open receivers. His passing accuracy while on the run was just as good as when he had a clean pocket. I was kinda "blown away" how poised this kid looks. I'm also kind of ashamed that this is the first time I have gotten to see him play. How have I not seen him before?

During the game, they were also talking about how the coaches said he was an extremely hard worker and actually watches more film than they do. That's always a good sign as well. It shows he wants to continue to get better and isn't just relying on his God given talents. Obviously, I'm gonna have to see more games of his before I make a final assessment, but right now, I'm impressed. Very impressed. I'm gonna be looking for more games of his to watch online, since BYU doesn't play again until Dec. 12.
I have a feeling he’s going to be a fast riser during the draft process.

(11-29-2020, 06:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I have a feeling he’s going to be a fast riser during the draft process.

He's in the top 5/10 on most mocks. Ain't a whole lot of room left to rise.

(11-29-2020, 06:14 PM)Upper Wrote:
(11-29-2020, 06:09 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: I have a feeling he’s going to be a fast riser during the draft process.

He's in the top 5/10 on most mocks. Ain't a whole lot of room left to rise.

Its a mock, which means nothing lol

I guess I am the only who likes Lance... just not at #2
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(11-29-2020, 06:50 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: I guess I am the only who likes Lance... just not at #2

There's just not enough of a body of work for me to justify taking him in the first 3 rounds. He's playing against a very low level of competition and he's a one year starter. That's just way too much of a risk imo.

I like Lance, you could argue he is flat out the toolsiest QB in this draft. His predraft will be very important. If he kills the combine, pro day, and interviews he could be a top 10 pick.

Not that it matters to anyone but i'm team Zach Wilson. Take him at 2 if you have to and don't look back. (Sewell is tempting there but we need to finally hit on the damn QB and I don't want to invest other resources to trade up from our Rams 1st rounder to get the one we want. Just take the QB you want at 2 and let's move on)
Lance is another very intriguing guy...it sucks that there's not much to evaluate but the tools are there. Let's see how this all unfolds over the next few months.

It’s so interesting how outside of this board Fields is the complete no brainer #2 pick and I’ve seen people go as far as to say there’s not even a big difference between Fields and Lawrence.

I’m not there with Fields yet either fwiw

(11-30-2020, 10:36 AM)JNev Wrote: It’s so interesting how outside of this board Fields is the complete no brainer #2 pick and I’ve seen people go as far as to say there’s not even a big difference between Fields and Lawrence.

I’m not there with Fields yet either fwiw

I think we're gunshy after Gabbert and Bortles.

https://theathletic.com/2228878/2020/11/...rterbacks/

Brugler's first mock has us taking Wilson at 2 over Fields. Also Darrisaw at 25.

I think that qualifies as a bold take

(11-30-2020, 03:40 PM)Upper Wrote: https://theathletic.com/2228878/2020/11/...rterbacks/

Brugler's first mock has us taking Wilson at 2 over Fields. Also Darrisaw at 25.

I imagine it gets boring constantly mocking Fields at 2 and Leatherwood at 25. Gotta switch it up here and there.

Leatherwood at 25 would be a Cam Robinsonesque mistake. Unless we're drafting him to play guard.

(11-30-2020, 05:52 PM)Upper Wrote: Leatherwood at 25 would be a Cam Robinsonesque mistake. Unless we're drafting him to play guard.

okay

Today I had a lot of free time so I was able to get on Youtube and watch two more of Zach Wilson's games this year. The first game I watched was against the Houston Cougars and the second one was against Boise State. I didn't realize Youtube had full games, but I'm certainly glad they did. In the game against Houston, Wilson started out like he was on fire. The very first pass he threw was a beautiful bomb for a long touchdown. He threw a couple more long passes later in the game as well and I'm now reassessing my thought that Mac Jones throws the best deep ball in the NCAA, as I now give that title to Wilson. He leads his receivers perfectly and throws with such touch, that they are able to keep stride and go even further from the point of the catch.

As the game progressed, Houston got a lot of pressure on Wilson. In many cases, they were blowing right passed his O-Linemen and getting in his face. Houston's offense took advantage as they ended up taking a lead at halftime. BYU came out in the second half and Wilson made some adjustments and it paid off. He was still scrambling a lot, but he was taking more of the underneath stuff and picking up yards with his legs, when Houston was blitzing. He made some plays in that second half that was absolutely jaw dropping. There was one play where BYU was in the redzone and it looked as though Wilson was rolling out for a play action pass, but then you see the refs signaling touchdown in the middle of the field. The announcers were as confused as I was. When they showed the replay, Wilson quickly pitched a no-look shovel pass to his receiver and continued rolling out of the pocket like he still had the ball. The entire defense was fooled and so was the spectators. I hate to compare him to Patrick Mahomes and I won't, but that particular play was very Mahomes-esque. He ended up leading BYU to a comeback win and continued to show the poise, quick release, accuracy, arm strength and escapability that he did when I watched the La. Tech game. I only counted two "bad" passes by him in the game. One where he threw into double coverage in the endzone when he was being hit and another where he led his receiver too far on a swing out pass.

I thought Boise State would offer Wilson a greater test, but he completely dominated this game as well. He ended the half with very modest stats and it looked as though he might be held in check, but in the second half, he just started dropping bombs on Boise State. He does an excellent job scanning the field as he's scrambling and finding open receivers. He doesn't just throw it to one or two players either. He spreads the ball around to who ever is open. The accuracy this kid has on his passes is extremely impressive. He knows exactly where to place the ball, so only his receiver can catch it.

After watching three full games from Wilson now, I can confidently say that I would be very comfortable taking him with the #2 pick in the draft. I think this kid is going to be something special. Like any rookie QB, there will be growing pains, but I think the finished product will be what we've all been waiting for since the inception of this team. In fact, I'm gonna say something pretty controversial. I would go as far to say that I like him a bit more than I like Trevor Lawrence. I would be thrilled to draft either guy, but I would be especially excited to see Wilson in a Jaguars uniform.

(12-02-2020, 01:25 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Today I had a lot of free time so I was able to get on Youtube and watch two more of Zach Wilson's games this year. The first game I watched was against the Houston Cougars and the second one was against Boise State. I didn't realize Youtube had full games, but I'm certainly glad they did. In the game against Houston, Wilson started out like he was on fire. The very first pass he threw was a beautiful bomb for a long touchdown. He threw a couple more long passes later in the game as well and I'm now reassessing my thought that Mac Jones throws the best deep ball in the NCAA, as I now give that title to Wilson. He leads his receivers perfectly and throws with such touch, that they are able to keep stride and go even further from the point of the catch.

As the game progressed, Houston got a lot of pressure on Wilson. In many cases, they were blowing right passed his O-Linemen and getting in his face. Houston's offense took advantage as they ended up taking a lead at halftime. BYU came out in the second half and Wilson made some adjustments and it paid off. He was still scrambling a lot, but he was taking more of the underneath stuff and picking up yards with his legs, when Houston was blitzing. He made some plays in that second half that was absolutely jaw dropping. There was one play where BYU was in the redzone and it looked as though Wilson was rolling out for a play action pass, but then you see the refs signaling touchdown in the middle of the field. The announcers were as confused as I was. When they showed the replay, Wilson quickly pitched a no-look shovel pass to his receiver and continued rolling out of the pocket like he still had the ball. The entire defense was fooled and so was the spectators. I hate to compare him to Patrick Mahomes and I won't, but that particular play was very Mahomes-esque. He ended up leading BYU to a comeback win and continued to show the poise, quick release, accuracy, arm strength and escapability that he did when I watched the La. Tech game. I only counted two "bad" passes by him in the game. One where he threw into double coverage in the endzone when he was being hit and another where he led his receiver too far on a swing out pass.

I thought Boise State would offer Wilson a greater test, but he completely dominated this game as well. He ended the half with very modest stats and it looked as though he might be held in check, but in the second half, he just started dropping bombs on Boise State. He does an excellent job scanning the field as he's scrambling and finding open receivers. He doesn't just throw it to one or two players either. He spreads the ball around to who ever is open. The accuracy this kid has on his passes is extremely impressive. He knows exactly where to place the ball, so only his receiver can catch it.

After watching three full games from Wilson now, I can confidently say that I would be very comfortable taking him with the #2 pick in the draft. I think this kid is going to be something special. Like any rookie QB, there will be growing pains, but I think the finished product will be what we've all been waiting for since the inception of this team. In fact, I'm gonna say something pretty controversial. I would go as far to say that I like him a bit more than I like Trevor Lawrence. I would be thrilled to draft either guy, but I would be especially excited to see Wilson in a Jaguars uniform.

Interesting report.  

I'm sure during the pre-draft time, the mock drafts will come out, and then in a month or so, players will start "rising up draft boards," which is never true, it's really just the media finding out what the teams actually think of these guys.  

Everyone assumes Fields is a lock for 2nd QB picked, but at this point, it's all speculation.  Nothing coming from the guys who will actually do the picking.

(12-02-2020, 08:13 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-02-2020, 01:25 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Today I had a lot of free time so I was able to get on Youtube and watch two more of Zach Wilson's games this year. The first game I watched was against the Houston Cougars and the second one was against Boise State. I didn't realize Youtube had full games, but I'm certainly glad they did. In the game against Houston, Wilson started out like he was on fire. The very first pass he threw was a beautiful bomb for a long touchdown. He threw a couple more long passes later in the game as well and I'm now reassessing my thought that Mac Jones throws the best deep ball in the NCAA, as I now give that title to Wilson. He leads his receivers perfectly and throws with such touch, that they are able to keep stride and go even further from the point of the catch.

Interesting report.  

I'm sure during the pre-draft time, the mock drafts will come out, and then in a month or so, players will start "rising up draft boards," which is never true, it's really just the media finding out what the teams actually think of these guys.  

Everyone assumes Fields is a lock for 2nd QB picked, but at this point, it's all speculation.  Nothing coming from the guys who will actually do the picking.
Fields or Wilson will be the debate for the next 6 months.

Give me Wilson please. He is by fat my favorite QB in the draft. Granted my favorite last year was Haskins. So take that gir what it's worth, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Yea. That second to last throw for Wilson before half..... something about this kid.