Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(10-21-2020, 10:02 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 02:44 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Talking about Fields or any other Ohio State QB?

Btw, I don't follow the college game so much but isn't Fields the guy that had to transfer from Georgia because Jake Fromm was better?

By that logic, isn’t Joe Burrow the guy who had to transfer from Ohio State because Dwayne Haskins was better?

Sure, but all it proves is that success at Ohio State is no indicator of NFL success. There's a long line of Ohio State QBs that failed at the NFL level and Haskins looks like the latest.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-22-2020, 01:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 09:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Don't mistake Fields not being selected by the coaches over Fromm as Fields being worse than Fromm.

I'm not saying he's worse than Fromm, I'm saying he's highly overrated and not worth a first round pick.

(10-21-2020, 10:02 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: By that logic, isn’t Joe Burrow the guy who had to transfer from Ohio State because Dwayne Haskins was better?

Dwayne Haskins was one of the best college football QB's of the last 10 years. He had one of the best season's of any college QB of the last 10 years. Sometimes college success does not translate to the NFL. Whether or not that is the case with Haskins remains to be seen. That team is a complete mess. Terrible O-Line, one decent receiver and no running game. I don't know how any QB could succeed there in the current state of the team.

I agree about Haskins. I think, if given a legitimate chance by a competent organization, he’ll end up being a top half of the league starter or better. My point was more that Fromm starting over Fields didn’t necessarily mean that Fromm is more talented, which you seem to agree with.

I was reading over on the Jets forum and the current debate is between three options:
1. Drafting Tlaw..obviously.
2. Drafting Fields ahead of Tlaw...yes...people are debating this.
3. Building around Stafford and this one is quite popular.

It IS possible the Jets someway somehow pass on Tlaw from the sentiments of the team currently.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 12:44 PM by Kane.)

(10-22-2020, 12:30 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I was reading over on the Jets forum and the current debate is between three options:

It IS possible the Jets someway somehow pass on Tlaw from the sentiments of the team currently.

Stafford?

Like trade for Stafford or should that be build around Darnold?

If the GM that drafted Darnold is still employed by the Jets, I could see them passing on TLaw. Foolish as it may be. GMs seemingly are ego guys that don't usually admit to a mistake.
They could use the first overall pick and trade down and probably get a good haul and add to that OL and give Darnold (or Stafford I guess) some weapons

(10-22-2020, 12:30 PM)Corriewf Wrote: I was reading over on the Jets forum and the current debate is between three options:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

(10-22-2020, 12:42 PM)Kane Wrote:

Stafford?

If the GM that drafted Darnold is still employed by the Jets, I could see them passing on TLaw. Foolish as it may be. GMs seemingly are ego guys that don't usually admit to a mistake.
They could use the first overall pick and trade down and probably get a good haul and add to that OL and give Darnold (or Stafford I guess) some weapons

Sorry- meant Darnold, my fingers must have had Stafford on their mind.  Big Grin 

I’ve seen several folks wanting them to trade out and build around Darnold. 

Anyway- it is not a lock that the Jets automatically take TLaw with their first pick. Maybe...just maybe..we won’t have to beat the Jets at being the worst! Ha!

(10-22-2020, 02:20 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 12:42 PM)Kane Wrote: Stafford?

Sorry- meant Darnold, my fingers must have had Stafford on their mind.  Big Grin 

Anyway- it is not a lock that the Jets automatically take TLaw with their first pick. Maybe...just maybe..we won’t have to beat the Jets at being the worst! Ha!

IMO it doesn't mean much if the Jets don't want Lawrence.

1.-Even if we only have to move one spot I expect them to ask for a lot of compensation, are we willing to give up our other 1st round pick? I wouldn't do it.
2.-Other teams could trade up for the #1 

I really doubt they just pass on him and draft someone else. It is either we or someone else trade for that pick.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-22-2020, 02:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:20 PM)Corriewf Wrote: Sorry- meant Darnold, my fingers must have had Stafford on their mind.  Big Grin 

IMO it doesn't mean much if the Jets don't want Lawrence.

1.-Even if we only have to move one spot I expect them to ask for a lot of compensation, are we willing to give up our other 1st round pick? I wouldn't do it.

I really doubt they just pass on him and draft someone else. It is either we or someone else trade for that pick.

IF IF Tlaw becomes another franchise QB you can build around for a decade. A QB you can build a winning team around. A Tom Brady, Mahomes type... Yeah I trade that 2nd 1st round pick and move up ASAP. I would then send Ramsey a thank you card! Smile

(10-22-2020, 02:57 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: IMO it doesn't mean much if the Jets don't want Lawrence.

IF IF Tlaw becomes another franchise QB you can build around for a decade. A QB you can build a winning team around. A Tom Brady, Mahomes type... Yeah I trade that 2nd 1st round pick and move up ASAP. I would then send Ramsey a thank you card! Smile

IF he can become that, then obviously it is worth doing the trade but who knows for sure. I mean, if we end up doing the trade I wouldn't be upset.

Anyway, I fully expect the Jets to have a new GM and HC that will want a new QB, which means they'll get Lawrence. I also doubt they win a game this season, hopefully they do though.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-22-2020, 02:57 PM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 02:49 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: IMO it doesn't mean much if the Jets don't want Lawrence.

Yeah the extra first from the Rams is looking more and more like a mid 20s pick anyway. Plus with the Vikings being awful our 2nd 2nd rounder will be good as will the 4th or 5th we get from the Yan trade.

Although I have a hard time seeing the Jets sticking with Darnold. Neither he nor Gase are Douglas' guy...
think Douglas is cleaning house this off season and putting his stamp on the team.

Doesn't matter what the arm-chair GMs on their site think.

What is going to happen is that they will have a complete overhaul from GM to coach and players - then select Lawrence with the 1st overall pick (if they maintain that position).

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM by Corriewf.)

(10-22-2020, 03:45 PM)enigma Wrote: Doesn't matter what the arm-chair GMs on their site think.

What is going to happen is that they will have a complete overhaul from GM to coach and players - then select Lawrence with the 1st overall pick (if they maintain that position).

No- let me live in my alternate reality! Stop with your non sense logic! 

Big Grin

I could see us grabbing Fields and who freaking knows, he could end up being the better NFL QB. If we have a new GM I don’t see them NOT taking a QB.

We all know what will happen with the QB we select.

I have a new QB that I am completely enamored with. Wisconsin QB Graham Mertz was supposedly the most highly touted QB to enter Wisconsin in a long time. Well he began his college career last night against Illinois and man, did he impress. He finished the game by going 20-21 for 248 yards and 5 TD's. This kid was throwing absolute lasers into some very tight windows. He showed a quick release and superb pocket presence. I'm really looking forward to watching this kid progress.

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2020, 03:52 AM by JackCity.)

hr]
(10-22-2020, 01:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-21-2020, 09:38 PM)JackCity Wrote: Don't mistake Fields not being selected by the coaches over Fromm as Fields being worse than Fromm.

I'm not saying he's worse than Fromm, I'm saying he's highly overrated and not worth a first round pick.

(10-21-2020, 10:02 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote: By that logic, isn’t Joe Burrow the guy who had to transfer from Ohio State because Dwayne Haskins was better?

Dwayne Haskins was one of the best college football QB's of the last 10 years. He had one of the best season's of any college QB of the last 10 years. Sometimes college success does not translate to the NFL. Whether or not that is the case with Haskins remains to be seen. That team is a complete mess. Terrible O-Line, one decent receiver and no running game. I don't know how any QB could succeed there in the current state of the team.

You said part of the reason Fields is overrated was because he couldn't beat out Burrow. 

And Fields was actually more impressive last year than Haskins season was. Way more suited to the modern NFL game and how the offenses operate

(10-24-2020, 03:49 AM)JackCity Wrote: hr]
(10-22-2020, 01:32 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm not saying he's worse than Fromm, I'm saying he's highly overrated and not worth a first round pick.

You said part of the reason Fields is overrated was because he couldn't beat out Burrow. 

And Fields was actually more impressive last year than Haskins season was. Way more suited to the modern NFL game and how the offenses operate

You misunderstood what I wrote. I merely wrote that as a fact. I listed why I feel the kid is overrated either in this thread or another. I can't remember where i wrote it. If you need to hear them again, here they are. In his time with OSU, I don't see the pocket presence you need to be an NFL QB. He relies way too much on his athleticism and takes unnecessary hits when he leaves the pocket too early. He doesn't show the football I.Q. to properly read defenses either. On several occasions, I've noticed that he failed to pickup blitzes and he panics. When he does throw, he passes to wide open receivers and doesn't always show the accuracy to fit his passes in tight windows. I live in Ohio and I see all of the Buckeyes' games on my local channels. I just don't see an elite QB, when I watch Fields play. IMO, Haskins was far superior as a college QB and that hasn't helped him in the NFL, so I have no hope that Fields would fare any better at the next level. The only "elite" QB I see in the next draft is Trevor Lawrence. If he is gone, I might take a gamble on Kyle Trask or Mac Jones in that 2nd or 3rd round range, but I definitely save those first two picks to add "elite" players to our many, many areas of need. I would never reach for a QB, just because we need one. As we know, taking the wrong QB usually sets a franchise back 3-4 years, sometimes much longer.

Fields is the only player in history with 40 passing and 10 rushing TDs in a season. Doesn't seem to shabby to me.

For real though, I watched him just casually a bunch last year and he seemed very impressive...but I wasn't really watching with my NFL translation cap on. I definitely will be this year since he'll very possibly be our best option.

Fields is lookin pretty damn good in the 1st quarter today. Already seeing some NFL throws out there.

(10-24-2020, 09:18 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-24-2020, 03:49 AM)JackCity Wrote: hr]

You misunderstood what I wrote. I merely wrote that as a fact. I listed why I feel the kid is overrated either in this thread or another. I can't remember where i wrote it. If you need to hear them again, here they are. In his time with OSU, I don't see the pocket presence you need to be an NFL QB. He relies way too much on his athleticism and takes unnecessary hits when he leaves the pocket too early. He doesn't show the football I.Q. to properly read defenses either. On several occasions, I've noticed that he failed to pickup blitzes and he panics. When he does throw, he passes to wide open receivers and doesn't always show the accuracy to fit his passes in tight windows. I live in Ohio and I see all of the Buckeyes' games on my local channels. I just don't see an elite QB, when I watch Fields play. IMO, Haskins was far superior as a college QB and that hasn't helped him in the NFL, so I have no hope that Fields would fare any better at the next level. The only "elite" QB I see in the next draft is Trevor Lawrence. If he is gone, I might take a gamble on Kyle Trask or Mac Jones in that 2nd or 3rd round range, but I definitely save those first two picks to add "elite" players to our many, many areas of need. I would never reach for a QB, just because we need one. As we know, taking the wrong QB usually sets a franchise back 3-4 years, sometimes much longer.

His short area accuracy was among the best in college football last year and reaction to pressure is something 90% of college Qbs do badly and 99% of 1 year starters do. In fact Fields is actually better than most at reacted to the rush and either side stepping it or bailing out the back side, something Haskins was totally unable to do in college or the NFL. the only real critique of fields is tight window passing which basically doesn't exist in the offense but his short passing traits indicate he can be a lot better at it in the NFL. 

And yeah I've seen every Fields game in college so far too. He's the real deal and an amazing consolation prize to Tlaw, huge tier drop after him to Lance

This guy has one of the elite offensive lines in college football. He works out of a clean pocket the vast majority of the time. If he doesn't react to pressure well in that situation, what's he gonna do in the NFL, behind a bad O-Line? Fields is not even the 2nd or 3rd best QB prospect. The only reason he is getting hype is because he can run. I want a smart QB with a quick release who can make all the throws in tight areas. I could care less how athletic they are.