Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
QB's

(10-27-2020, 12:42 AM)JackCity Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 10:06 AM)Upper Wrote: Lmao dude really said it's harder to find a franchise LT than a franchise QB?

(10-26-2020, 12:12 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: As of now yes but its still early.  Fields couldn't make a starting spot in the SEC.  Id like to see what he can do against a real defense

You mean like Wisconsin? He played 4 top 20 defenses last season and mostly did very well
Wisconsin?  Lol

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-26-2020, 09:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 09:22 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: LT is the only position I feel is harder to get than a QB.  There are a bunch of good QBs right now.  Not many good LTs, its super rare to find an elite LT
There are a lot of really good LTs. 

If the Jags take Sewell like some of you want, who’s the QB next year? Like someone else said, taking Sewell just ensures he’s the next Joe Thomas. It needs to be Fields or Lawerence because if Fields hits, the Jags are set for the next 10-15 years.

If the FO (whoever they may be) feels that Fields is a sure thing, of course take him over Sewell. If there is a question mark, though, would it be better to grab Sewell early and spend one of the second rounders on a QB instead? Think along the lines of a Derek Carr, Dalton, Bridgewater type - late first, early second, not necessarily game manager territory, but enough upside to become a long term starter without wasting value of picking them in the top ten or so.

I don't know if there's any guys out there next year that might fit that bill (heck Lance might fall that far, depending on the spring games), but it might be worth consideration.

(10-27-2020, 09:21 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 09:28 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: There are a lot of really good LTs. 

If the Jags take Sewell like some of you want, who’s the QB next year? Like someone else said, taking Sewell just ensures he’s the next Joe Thomas. It needs to be Fields or Lawerence because if Fields hits, the Jags are set for the next 10-15 years.

If the FO (whoever they may be) feels that Fields is a sure thing, of course take him over Sewell. If there is a question mark, though, would it be better to grab Sewell early and spend one of the second rounders on a QB instead? Think along the lines of a Derek Carr, Dalton, Bridgewater type - late first, early second, not necessarily game manager territory, but enough upside to become a long term starter without wasting value of picking them in the top ten or so.

I don't know if there's any guys out there next year that might fit that bill (heck Lance might fall that far, depending on the spring games), but it might be worth consideration.
You’re not winning a SB with Dalton, Carr or Bridgewater.

(10-27-2020, 09:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 09:21 AM)Mikey Wrote: If the FO (whoever they may be) feels that Fields is a sure thing, of course take him over Sewell. If there is a question mark, though, would it be better to grab Sewell early and spend one of the second rounders on a QB instead? Think along the lines of a Derek Carr, Dalton, Bridgewater type - late first, early second, not necessarily game manager territory, but enough upside to become a long term starter without wasting value of picking them in the top ten or so.

What about Brees, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, or Jackson

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 01:43 PM by Upper.)

(10-27-2020, 01:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Good Lord, you have low standards!

Not low standards, but not sky high standards like you. I think history has shown all you need is serviceable across board at oline and you can win a lot of super bowls. And I think this is a really good time for the NFL being chock full of serviceable or better LTs. But we haven't seen serviceable at LT in a long time, probably the early Eugene Monroe years, so I get it. Especially when the glory days of the franchise include an all time great at the position. It's natural to yearn for that.

(10-27-2020, 01:42 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Good Lord, you have low standards!

Not low standards, but not sky high standards like you. I think history has shown all you need is serviceable across board at oline and you can win a lot of super bowls. And I think this is a really good time for the NFL being chock full of serviceable or better LTs. But we haven't seen serviceable at LT in a long time, probably the early Eugene Monroe years, so I get it. Especially when the glory days of the franchise include an all time great at the position. It's natural to yearn for that.

That whole statement you wrote is chocked full of misinformation. As far as that goes, the Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer, but he had one of the all-time greats at LT (Jonathan Ogden). So, apparently you can win a Superbowl with a so-so QB and a great LT. San Francisco made it to the Superbowl last year with an average QB (Jimmy G.,) yet he had a future hall of fame LT (Joe Staley) protecting him.

(10-27-2020, 09:48 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 09:21 AM)Mikey Wrote: If the FO (whoever they may be) feels that Fields is a sure thing, of course take him over Sewell. If there is a question mark, though, would it be better to grab Sewell early and spend one of the second rounders on a QB instead? Think along the lines of a Derek Carr, Dalton, Bridgewater type - late first, early second, not necessarily game manager territory, but enough upside to become a long term starter without wasting value of picking them in the top ten or so.

So you'd prefer Bortles and Cam Robinson? The point was that you don't overdarft the QB just because he is #2 on the list of QB if there is an OT that is head and shoulders above him on your board. If Fields is seen as a can't miss prospect, only a fool would take an OT instead, or rank the OT above him on their board, for that matter.

(10-27-2020, 01:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:42 PM)Upper Wrote: Not low standards, but not sky high standards like you. I think history has shown all you need is serviceable across board at oline and you can win a lot of super bowls. And I think this is a really good time for the NFL being chock full of serviceable or better LTs. But we haven't seen serviceable at LT in a long time, probably the early Eugene Monroe years, so I get it. Especially when the glory days of the franchise include an all time great at the position. It's natural to yearn for that.

That whole statement you wrote is chocked full of misinformation. As far as that goes, the Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer, but he had one of the all-time greats at LT (Jonathan Ogden). So, apparently you can win a Superbowl with a so-so QB and a great LT. San Francisco made it to the Superbowl last year with an average QB (Jimmy G.,) yet he had a future hall of fame LT (Joe Staley) protecting him.
Lol all you need is an all time great defense and you’re right in the SB!

Consistently great QB play gives you a better chance at the playoffs and playoff success than any other position. Why is this even an argument? I would rather have an average LT with an all-pro QB than an all-pro LT with an average QB.

(10-27-2020, 01:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That whole statement you wrote is chocked full of misinformation. As far as that goes, the Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer, but he had one of the all-time greats at LT (Jonathan Ogden). So, apparently you can win a Superbowl with a so-so QB and a great LT. San Francisco made it to the Superbowl last year with an average QB (Jimmy G.,) yet he had a future hall of fame LT (Joe Staley) protecting him.

Consistently great QB play gives you a better chance at the playoffs and playoff success than any other position. Why is this even an argument? I would rather have an average LT with an all-pro QB than an all-pro LT with an average QB.

I'd rather take the BAP. That's how you build a winning team. We keep drafting for need unless a great player falls right into our laps.

(10-27-2020, 01:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That whole statement you wrote is chocked full of misinformation. As far as that goes, the Ravens won a Superbowl with Trent Dilfer, but he had one of the all-time greats at LT (Jonathan Ogden). So, apparently you can win a Superbowl with a so-so QB and a great LT. San Francisco made it to the Superbowl last year with an average QB (Jimmy G.,) yet he had a future hall of fame LT (Joe Staley) protecting him.

My qualm about this strategy though is that there are a very few QB's that meet that criteria -- maybe 3-5 drafted every decade? And you still need the correct coach and complementary teammates around that QB no matter how good he is.

I'm not saying that shouldn't draft a QB or aim for Trevor, but "can't miss QB prospects" don't pan out more often than they do. And getting the right GM/Coach combo us WAY more important this offseason, and the foundational step needed first.

(This post was last modified: 10-27-2020, 02:16 PM by Cleatwood.)

(10-27-2020, 02:07 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol all you need is an all time great defense and you’re right in the SB!

I'd rather take the BAP. That's how you build a winning team. We keep drafting for need unless a great player falls right into our laps.
When it comes to QB, that thought goes out the window. If it’s close between Fields and Sewell come draft day and you need a QB (which this team desperately needs), then you take Fields.

Not to mention, Jags have 2 first rounders this year. Is there a tackle around pick 25 that may be good? I’d rather have BAT at 25 and Fields than Sewell and Minshew.

(10-27-2020, 02:14 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:57 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: Lol all you need is an all time great defense and you’re right in the SB!

My qualm about this strategy though is that there are a very few QB's that meet that criteria -- maybe 3-5 drafted every decade? And you still need the correct coach and complementary teammates around that QB no matter how good he is.

I'm not saying that shouldn't draft a QB or aim for Trevor, but "can't miss QB prospects" don't pan out more often than they do. And getting the right GM/Coach combo us WAY more important this offseason, and the foundational step needed first.
Don’t disagree at all.

My hope is Joe Brady/Bienemy with Fields.

Of course all this could be Lawrence playing the media and giving himself some leverage, or just the media run amok:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/st...-nfl-draft

Quote:Clemson Tigers QB Trevor Lawrence hints at staying for senior season rather than opting for NFL draft
[font=Georgia,]Clemson Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL following this his junior season.[/font]

The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro

(10-27-2020, 02:42 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Of course all this could be Lawrence playing the media and giving himself some leverage, or just the media run amok:

Quote:Clemson Tigers QB Trevor Lawrence hints at staying for senior season rather than opting for NFL draft
[font=Georgia,]Clemson Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL following this his junior season.[/font]

The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro

Well, that would certainly throws a monkey wrench into things! Imagine if the Jags finally got the #1 overall pick and Lawrence stays in school. I'm starting to wonder if the franchise might be cursed. He's assured of being the #1 overall pick and he's so desperate not to go to the Jets or Jags that he might risk everything he has dreamed about to stay in school. I'm speechless.

(10-27-2020, 01:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 01:42 PM)Upper Wrote: Not low standards, but not sky high standards like you. I think history has shown all you need is serviceable across board at oline and you can win a lot of super bowls. And I think this is a really good time for the NFL being chock full of serviceable or better LTs. But we haven't seen serviceable at LT in a long time, probably the early Eugene Monroe years, so I get it. Especially when the glory days of the franchise include an all time great at the position. It's natural to yearn for that.

And they won it because of Ogden? How many rings do Willie Roaf, Tyron Smith, Walter Jones, Joe Thomas, Boselli, Lincoln Kennedy, Jake Long have?

BTW, 49ers almost won the SB but Garoppolo missed his open WR in the final seconds...
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-27-2020, 03:05 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:

And they won it because of Ogden? How many rings do Willie Roaf, Tyron Smith, Walter Jones, Joe Thomas, Boselli, Lincoln Kennedy, Jake Long have?

BTW, 49ers almost won the SB but Garoppolo missed his open WR in the final seconds...

I'm saying without Ogden, they probably wouldn't have even made it to the Superbowl. Dilfer was not a good QB. He was probably the equivalent of what Kirk Cousins is today and that team won a Superbowl, despite having a sub par QB. You guys underestimate how valuable really good O-Lines are to successful teams and LT is the cornerstone.

(10-27-2020, 02:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:42 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: Of course all this could be Lawrence playing the media and giving himself some leverage, or just the media run amok:

Well, that would certainly throws a monkey wrench into things! Imagine if the Jags finally got the #1 overall pick and Lawrence stays in school. I'm starting to wonder if the franchise might be cursed. He's assured of being the #1 overall pick and he's so desperate not to go to the Jets or Jags that he might risk everything he has dreamed about to stay in school. I'm speechless.

Relax. He's still in the middle of the College football season... He kinda can't commit to the NFL at this point in time. If he's still saying these things come Jan/Feb, then it's a different story.

(10-27-2020, 04:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 02:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Well, that would certainly throws a monkey wrench into things! Imagine if the Jags finally got the #1 overall pick and Lawrence stays in school. I'm starting to wonder if the franchise might be cursed. He's assured of being the #1 overall pick and he's so desperate not to go to the Jets or Jags that he might risk everything he has dreamed about to stay in school. I'm speechless.

Relax. He's still in the middle of the College football season... He kinda can't commit to the NFL at this point in time. If he's still saying these things come Jan/Feb, then it's a different story.

I know, but you have to admit, it would fall in line with what being a Jags' fan is all about................. constant disappointment.

(10-27-2020, 05:13 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-27-2020, 04:56 PM)Eric1 Wrote: Relax. He's still in the middle of the College football season... He kinda can't commit to the NFL at this point in time. If he's still saying these things come Jan/Feb, then it's a different story.

I know, but you have to admit, it would fall in line with what being a Jags' fan is all about................. constant disappointment.

Agreed, but we'd still have to see the Jets win at least 2 games and that's looking like a really big long shot at this point in time. They flat out stink.

A few months ago Lawrence said he planned on graduating in December and for this to be his last year at Clemson. This was back when everyone said we were tanking and calling us “Trevor’s team”. The fact that he is backtracking now, when it’s New York who is now in the drivers seat, makes me think he doesn’t have a problem with us.

Additionally, Roddy White said last week that Trevor should avoid the Jets. I found it interesting because he is the cousin of Clemson’s OC.

I don’t think a guy from a small southern town, would have a problem playing in Jax.

That being said, it would be par the course for us to get the number 1 pick, and then have him go back for his senior year.

Why do y'all think Trevor Lawrence won't come to Jacksonville? We got all the things that Trevor Lawrence desire as an NFL franchise.

No state income tax

Most likely a new GM and offensive minded coach and coaching staff.

Potential Playmakers on the offensive side of the ball

12 draft picks including 4 in the first 40 picks if Minnesota continues to be bad this year.

75 million dollars in cap space which is the highest in the NFL this upcoming offseason.

The Jets on the other hand can't offer any of these things to him so I can see why he would feel way about them.
[Image: giphy.gif]