Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Washington Benches Dwayne Haskins

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2020, 10:11 AM by mal234.)

Not only was he benched he was actually moved to the 3rd string position behind Alex Smith. Ron Rivera had hinted a little while ago that he was willing to make a change at the starting QB position. There were also reports that the staff had talked to Dwayne and made it clear he needed to start playing better soon.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1313828186854166530

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/...2481988618

This is another example of a team moving on from a young QB quickly. Granted Dwayne has had his fair share of struggles, though they could have given him more time to figure things out given how young he is. Some people are saying this reminds them of some ways of Josh Rosen, (who I have felt got a rough break and not enough support).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2020, 10:15 AM by Kane.)

Based on what I saw last year (and heard about the coach staff not wanting him) and then a changing of the guard at HC, this was inevitable imo.

He hasn't played well for the most part, and sure some it is the team around him but I wasn't sold on him coming out of college.
When Ron brought over Allen from Carolina I knew Haskins had a short leash. Combine that with Smith getting healthy enough to maybe play... Haskins looks to be taking the Rosen road of first round QBs.

edit: the new rookie wage scale makes it easier for GMs to move on from failed first round picks. Which makes ya wonder why more teams don't do it (Bortles, Trubisky, etc) If by year 2 or 3 they ain't showing at least glimpses of "special" you made a mistake and it is time to move on.
I've said it all along, if you're taking them in the first round, especially like top ten, they shouldn't need that much "development". Rookie year start, get acclimated, learn play book. Year two, be making plays, be special.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2020, 10:41 AM by mal234.)

Yeah, early on this season I could tell that Ron had him on a short leash. He was saying a little while ago that he was willing to make a change from Dwayne and then there reports about those meetings he had with the staff. It just seemed like Ron and the staff didn't really want him. He hasn't played that well, but I do have symphaty for him given that he's young and wasn't put in the best situation to succeed. Like Josh Rosen wasn't. It's tough when a team doesn't really seem to want a young QB or give them much time to grow. We are seeing more and more just how quickly organizations will give up on young QB's including first round draft picks.

I wonder what would have happened if Dwayne/Josh had been given more support like Bortles/Trubisky were given. They definitely ended up having better teams. Trubisky for example has pretty much always had a decent team with a good defense and kept getting chance, after chance, after chance... until they finally decided to bench him. I think that someone like Trubisky has been treated very fair and has been given a bunch of chances. Dwayne/Josh probably wish they could have received even half the support that Trubisky got from their organizations.

But the rush for teams to try and get much better right away, paired with other QB's playing extremely well early on, (Patrick, DeShaun, Dak, etc... As well as the the presence of young talented college QB's breathing down their necks (like Trevor, Justin Fields), gives some QBs very little time to figure things out and try and secure a starting spot for themselves. It's unfortunate.

I was told by multiple people on here that I was dumb for doubting him coming out of college. Look at his Ohio St. Highlights.. it's literally all go-routes and 50yd bombs. That kind of offense doesn't work in the NFL.

(10-07-2020, 10:31 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I was told by multiple people on here that I was dumb for doubting him coming out of college. Look at his Ohio St. Highlights.. it's literally all go-routes and 50yd bombs. That kind of offense doesn't work in the NFL.

Kalamari... I never once doubted you, but I would never eat your kind again. Too squishy.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(10-07-2020, 10:31 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: I was told by multiple people on here that I was dumb for doubting him coming out of college. Look at his Ohio St. Highlights.. it's literally all go-routes and 50yd bombs. That kind of offense doesn't work in the NFL.

Same here.  A few wanted him with our first and we got a better QB in the 6th and we wouldn't have Allen

In today's practice Dwyane didn't get any snaps and they let the practice squad get snaps.over him.

https://twitter.com/brgridiron/status/13...7175263232

This treatment of him is becoming even more harsh. Maybe.even a little personal. I wonder if there is something else going on that we don't know about.

He doesn't have a future in Washington. They're developing their future back ups.

I remember back in the draft Haskins at 7 thread, I said Geno Smith 2.0
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

This thread is fun

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...ht=Haskins

Woulda been nice if Haskins showed any potential so it would eliminate the football team in the QB sweepstakes for the draft.

Mind as well play Haskins to see if he has any value by season end, but Ron wants some w’s.

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2020, 05:10 PM by iHaunting Raven.)

(10-07-2020, 03:40 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I remember back in the draft Haskins at 7 thread, I said Geno Smith 2.0

Ugh, yeah, I remember a lot of people wanted Geno too... eww
I never wanted Haskins but the guy has barely played. He had a short offseason this year and switched OC's. I wouldn't call him a bust yet.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-07-2020, 05:05 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 03:40 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I remember back in the draft Haskins at 7 thread, I said Geno Smith 2.0

Ugh, yeah, I remember a lot of people wanted Geno too... eww
I never wanted Haskins but the guy has barely played. He had a short offseason this year and switched OC's. I wouldn't call him a bust yet.

When you go from starting to third string and not taking snaps in practice... I would pretty much call that a bust.  Unfortunately for the Redskins they are on the hook for the remainder of his rookie salary.  At best he might become another Blaine Gabbert.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

I still think the kid has talent, but he was doomed when he was chosen by Washington. They only have 1 good O-Lineman (Scherff) who is on I.R., a terrible running game and one decent receiver to throw to and he's not even a #1 on most teams, (McLaurin.) Pat Mahomes would have a hard time succeeding in that offense.

(10-07-2020, 06:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I still think the kid has talent, but he was doomed when he was chosen by Washington. They only have 1 good O-Lineman (Scherff) who is on I.R., a terrible running game and one decent receiver to throw to and he's not even a #1 on most teams, (McLaurin.) Pat Mahomes would have a hard time succeeding in that offense.

In college he had 3 of the fastest and best WRs in college, his WRs would be wide open on almost every play and he never played any real defenses.  Some just looked at his TD number and thought he was good. Haskins is the main reason Gruden left, he wanted a real QB to work with.  McLaurin is a damn good WR though, he needs a real QB

He has been utter crap and I saw this coming for a long time.

This is also a major reason why I believe Washington is the worst team - with the Jets being a close second.

(10-07-2020, 10:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

(10-07-2020, 06:24 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I still think the kid has talent, but he was doomed when he was chosen by Washington. They only have 1 good O-Lineman (Scherff) who is on I.R., a terrible running game and one decent receiver to throw to and he's not even a #1 on most teams, (McLaurin.) Pat Mahomes would have a hard time succeeding in that offense.

In college he had 3 of the fastest and best WRs in college, his WRs would be wide open on almost every play and he never played any real defenses.  Some just looked at his TD number and thought he was good. Haskins is the main reason Gruden left, he wanted a real QB to work with.  McLaurin is a damn good WR though, he needs a real QB

I see that too in Fields highlights.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

He has certainly been a disappointment so far, but I wouldn’t bury the kid yet. He only had 14 college starts, only has 11 nfl starts and is younger than Burrow.

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 06:37 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(10-08-2020, 12:31 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 10:00 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:  In college he had 3 of the fastest and best WRs in college, his WRs would be wide open on almost every play and he never played any real defenses.  Some just looked at his TD number and thought he was good. Haskins is the main reason Gruden left, he wanted a real QB to work with.  McLaurin is a damn good WR though, he needs a real QB

I see that too in Fields highlights.
There was another stat that showed him against pressure as he was one other the worst QBs 8n college against pressure,

(This post was last modified: 10-08-2020, 07:48 AM by mal234.)

I think that one main reason that Ron benched Dwayne is because he thinks he the Washington Football Team could maybe win the NFC East division. That is the worst division in football and right now the winner has a bad record. I believe that seven games could win that division.

Maybe Ron thinks that Kyle Allen gives them a better chance at getting wins. Though last year after having a nice start and five straight wins, Kyle ended up playing rough and had several interceptions. I wonder if that will happen again. Or if he won't even play as well as he started out playing last year. He did have Christian McCaffrey last year and the team was largely running things through him. If Kyle ends up playing poorly that won't look good for Ron and the Washington Football team.

And I still think when it's all said and done that the Cowboys will win that division. They are the best of the teams with the losing records. And I could see them beating teams they should beat like some bad teams that they have coming up.