Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How to Improve the Defense

Since our 4-man rush is useless, and we can't get any pressure on the QB, why not rush 3 and drop 8 men into coverage?   The 3 pass rushers will do just as much as the 4 pass rushers, which so far is nothing.   But we'd have an extra man in coverage.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-07-2020, 12:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Since our 4-man rush is useless, and we can't get any pressure on the QB, why not rush 3 and drop 8 men into coverage?   The 3 pass rushers will do just as much as the 4 pass rushers, which so far is nothing.   But we'd have an extra man in coverage.

I think the biggest thing we could do is become less predictable... mix things up more and try to force the opposing QB into misreading what we are doing an getting them to make a mistake.  You can't always play coverage or always blitz, we need to take a more balanced approach.  That being said, the more we do, the more we have to learn and execute properly, which could leave our own defense more vulnerable to mistakes and blown coverages.  But at this point, do we really have anything to lose?  We need to do something.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Better balance defense. We need to blitz more. Everytime we have done it, the QB was under pressure and rarely hit his target.

We were supposed to see some 3-4 defense...I'm still waiting. We have the players for it (Josh Allen and Chaisson would be very good IMO).

I think our Dline would have been much better with Woods and Gunter. We didn't replace them with equal talents.

And of course, we are young. People are already calling Chaisson a bust after 4 games...Hamilton (23 years old), Allen (23), Chaisson (21) are still raw. I'm also very disappointed in Smoot.

In 2017, our best defensive players were complaining about the defensive scheme...and we are still playing the same [BLEEP], soft zone. This is probably the main problem.

How to improve our defense??

End the season today, spend first 4 picks on DT, CB, and 2 safeties. Fire Wash, hire new DC and HC, switch to 3-4. Spend that 90+mil in FA to fill any holes that are left.
[Image: giphy.gif]

(10-07-2020, 12:31 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: Since our 4-man rush is useless, and we can't get any pressure on the QB, why not rush 3 and drop 8 men into coverage?   The 3 pass rushers will do just as much as the 4 pass rushers, which so far is nothing.   But we'd have an extra man in coverage.

Teams would run all over that defense with draw plays.

Jarrod Wilson practiced today. Won't solve the problems, but will definitely help getting Dewey out of there

Fire Caldwell and Marrone.  That's the only way to fix this dumpster fire of a team.

(10-11-2020, 04:07 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Fire Caldwell and Marrone.  That's the only way to fix this dumpster fire of a team.

Can we just at LEAST start with Wash? Please?

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 06:03 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

Jags sign Sheard, good pick up

All defenses are struggling this year due to the virus limiting reps. This is magnified on teams with newer players/rookies. This was a tough year to pull this jettisoning of all the veterans on the defense. One thing it did was reduce labor costs in a revenue challenged year. One question isn't there a minimum you are required to spend on salaries?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Why not just drop 11?
s
;

;

(10-12-2020, 06:03 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Jags sign Sheard, good pick up

What happen to him? I always thought he was a monster for the Colts and next thing you know its like he dropped off the map.
In Dougie I Trust!

Better players and new scheme. Tired of the played out Seattle nonsense. You need absolute studs for it to work, and in that matter just about any defense would work if you're trotting out 6-8 pro bowlers on defense. Wash is terrible and I hope he and the rest of the Bradley era leftovers are shown the door asap.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2020, 03:53 AM by captivating.)

(10-13-2020, 12:46 AM)Norman Mushari Wrote: Why not just drop 11?

I was thinking rush 11.  Go all out crazy blitz...every play

Coaches should watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3VBGUAaToo

We simply have an atrocious system. I’m not willing to criticise any defensive players because I’ve seen some undoubtedly talented players struggle in this system.

How Wash is in a job is beyond me. How Marrone is is beyond me. How Caldwell is for allowing those 2 still be in a job is beyond me.

That is all.

According to a reporter on twitter, Jabaal Sheard is going to be active for the Jags tomorrow. I also read that Sidney Jones should get be getting more playing time.

https://twitter.com/jordandelugo

https://twitter.com/Jaguars/status/1317559185924554753