Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Taven Bryan - Another first round bust on this Regime's Resume!

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 12:30 AM by jaguarmvp.)

(10-10-2020, 10:42 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 10:20 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I am the one who said the team was bad before TC got here.   Caldwell decided to strip the roster totally bare when he got here.. Caldwell along with Shad kept Bradley around who was not really a HC but a glorified Cheerleader.   Caldwell drafted his QB and outside of one year was a complete Failure.   Caldwell was struggling so bad that Tom was hired in the first place.   Caldwell has many more misses than hits on this resume.  His stradegy is build through the draft but one cannot do that if he is constantly making mistakes.   I do understand that the draft is a crapshoot and some players are just going to bust.  That being said, his bust rate is much too high to "build through the draft."   The guy is a good scout(in the later rounds) but a lousy GM.  Lets not even talk about all of the lackluster free agents Caldwell has brought in.   Campbell said the reason he came here was because of Coughlin so he don't count.
But there was little on the roster worth keeping when he got here.  It was a 2-14 team.  It's not like there were some 6 Pro Bowlers like in Kansas City when Reid took over.  For every Daryl Smith, there were 10-15 players on the roster that would not start on another NFL roster.

Outside of that one season that Tom Coughlin was the boss,  How much has our record improved?  Very very little.   We pick in the top 10 almost yearly.  Let see how much this team has improved from that 2-14 record

2013: 4-12
2014: 3-13
2015: 5-11
2016: 3-13
2017: 10-6
2018: 5-11
2019: 6-10
2020: 1-3 (the arrow is pointing way down and this is all Caldwell's team again)

You must have really low expectations if you call that great improvement.  Caldwell flat out sucks What would it take for you to agree he needs to be fired?
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Imagine doing this every single week... It's not like there's already 18 threads that say exactly the same thing... Stop making new threads about the same stupid [BLEEP].

He gets fired when he gets fired. Making a new thread every week about it isn't going to change anything, or make it happen any sooner. Get over it already and stop beating a dead horse.

(10-11-2020, 12:50 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Imagine doing this every single week... It's not like there's already 18 threads that say exactly the same thing... Stop making new threads about the same stupid [BLEEP].

He gets fired when he gets fired. Making a new thread every week about it isn't going to change anything, or make it happen any sooner. Get over it already and stop beating a dead horse.

Nah.  We like doing this.  Run along if you don't.   Laughing
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Fire Dave Caldwell. He has had his time.

(10-11-2020, 08:25 AM)Talented Kalamari Wrote: Fire Dave Caldwell. He has had his time.

You have to be patient.  It takes a good 15 years for a GM to learn the ropes so we only have 7 more years to go and at that point we can make a fair judgement.

If there was one misconception we could change around here it's the belief that the 2013 was such a bad draft and Caldwell should get a pass for it. Sorry, but go look again and there were a ton of very good players in that draft. Minus QB and LB you could put together a very solid ~20 man pro bowl roster and just as many solid starters behind that.

(10-11-2020, 10:52 AM)Upper Wrote: If there was one misconception we could change around here it's the belief that the 2013 was such a bad draft and Caldwell should get a pass for it. Sorry, but go look again and there were a ton of very good players in that draft. Minus QB and LB you could put together a very solid ~20 man pro bowl roster and just as many solid starters behind that.

Agreed.  The thing that drives me crazy about Caldwell apologists is when they say "well, the media experts agreed with Caldwell's picks and they said we won the Draft, so its not his fault they didn't work out".  It is ABSOLUTELY his fault.... because he is paid to know more than they do.  And he has repeatedly shown he does not.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

The young man has absolutely no awareness on the football field. As an opponent my game plan would center around attacking his gap.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Bryan was expected to go about where we drafted him. Is it on Caldwell or Morrone that he's no good?

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 11:33 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-11-2020, 11:30 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Bryan was expected to go about where we drafted him. Is it on Caldwell or Morrone that he's no good?

You're just messing with me now... right?   Laughing

(10-11-2020, 11:28 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: Agreed.  The thing that drives me crazy about Caldwell apologists is when they say "well, the media experts agreed with Caldwell's picks and they said we won the Draft, so its not his fault they didn't work out".  It is ABSOLUTELY his fault.... because he is paid to know more than they do.  And he has repeatedly shown he does not.

(10-11-2020, 12:50 AM)Eric1 Wrote: Imagine doing this every single week... It's not like there's already 18 threads that say exactly the same thing... Stop making new threads about the same stupid [BLEEP].

If your that anal and butt hurt about it then simply do not click on my threads.  This forum is very slow and the last thing that should be done is creating less threads.  Better yet, put me on your ignore list.  I am quite frankly tired of hearing your constant whining, your like a big baby.

(10-11-2020, 11:29 AM)jagsfan06 Wrote: The young man has absolutely no awareness on the football field. As an opponent my game plan would center around attacking his gap.
He certainly acts like a stereotypical dumb UF player/fan. I said it when he was drafted that he always got by because he was bigger and faster. Now that he if facing guys they have the same physical abilities, he has nothing because he isn't smart enough or know football in order to figure out what to do.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Bryan is what he is IMO, a gap filler and he pushes the pocket on the middle. The young man has power. If your expecting him to be Donald well I don't know what to say. He is a glorified second round pick. I like what he provides for the Jags since we got what we got.

IMO Khan keeps Dave after this season on sympathy, but I would love this guy if he does get fired.

Martin Mayhew

Martin Mayhew is in his fourth season with the 49ers and second as the vice president of player personnel. He spent the previous two years (2017-18) as the team's senior personnel executive. Mayhew joined the 49ers after spending the 2016 season as the director of football operations/special projects with the New York Giants. In his role with the Giants, he worked all aspects of the salary cap, CBA compliance and player contract negotiations.

Prior to his time in New York, Mayhew spent 15 years (2001-15) in the Detroit Lions organization, including the final seven as the team's general manager. Taking over as general manager following the team's winless season in 2008, he aided Detroit's ascent to a 10-win season in 2011. Mayhew was responsible for the draft selections of Pro Bowlers QB Matthew Stafford and DE Ezekiel Ansah, as well as 2010 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year DT Ndamukong Suh, who was selected to four Pro Bowls as a member of the Lions. He was also responsible for signing WR Golden Tate and S Glover Quin in free agency, both of whom went on to earn Pro Bowl honors in Detroit.
In 2015, Detroit had five players selected to the Pro Bowl for the first time since 2000 (WR Calvin Johnson, Tate, Stafford, Suh & Quin). The previous year, Mayhew constructed a Lions team that won 11 games for the fourth time in franchise history. That year, Detroit finished second in total defense and third in points allowed, led by their top-ranked rush defense that allowed just 69.3 yards per game, which stands as the ninth fewest rushing yards allowed per game in NFL history.

Mayhew first joined the Lions organization in 2001 as the senior director of football administration/staff counsel. In 2003, he was promoted to senior vice president of football administration/staff counsel and was appointed senior vice president and assistant general manager in 2004. In 2008, Mayhew was promoted to general manager.
Originally a 10th round selection (262nd overall) by the Buffalo Bills in the 1988 NFL Draft, Mayhew played nine seasons in the NFL. During his career with Buffalo (1988), Washington (1989-92) and Tampa Bay (1993-96), he appeared in 118 games (107 starts) and registered 473 tackles, 21 interceptions, four forced fumbles and 1.0 sack. In 1991, Mayhew started and was a member of Washington's Super Bowl XXVI champion team.

A native of Tallahassee, FL, Mayhew graduated from Florida State University with a degree in business management and earned his law degree from Georgetown University's Law Center in 2000. While at FSU, he was a National Merit and Achievement Scholar and earned GTE CoSIDA Academic All-America honors. He was also a two-sport athlete, lettering on both the Seminoles football and track teams. During the 1999 season while attending law school, Mayhew spent nine months as an intern in Washington's personnel department. He also had two separate internship stints with the NFL league office in both the labor operations and legal departments before joining the Lions in 2001. He is a member of The Florida Bar.
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 12:50 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-11-2020, 12:26 PM)JAGFAN4EVER! Wrote: Bryan is what he is IMO, a gap filler and he pushes the pocket on the middle. The young man has power. If your expecting him to be Donald well I don't know what to say. He is a glorified second round pick. I like what he provides for the Jags since we got what we got.

IMO Khan keeps Dave after this season on sympathy, but I would love this guy if he does get fired.

Martin Mayhew

This is the guy I would go with: CHAMP KELLY

https://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/champ-kelly

Former SEC player in college turned NFL scout.  A young, forward-thinking guy who has been around the block in a short amount of time.  Every video I have seen of him talking he seems like a real and positive communicator who could build a culture.  He played big roles in building the Super Bowl team in Denver and transformed the defense in Chicago.  Interviewed for the Jets job in 2019.

I just saw Taven fly past the guard...

(10-11-2020, 01:12 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I just saw Taven fly past the guard...

That was his only play all game.  He went back to being invisible after that.

(10-11-2020, 09:56 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 01:12 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: I just saw Taven fly past the guard...

That was his only play all game.  He went back to being invisible after that.

I missed that play, where was the ball at the time? Knowing Tater Cakes it was probably in Minshew's hands.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 09:58 AM by Minshew Mania.)

(10-10-2020, 09:25 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 09:22 PM)Bullseye Wrote: TC was put in above him by Khan in 2017.

Was Bryan a TC pick or a Caldwell pick?

I think draft wise Caldwell is okay.  Player retention? 

Big problem.

I would not say Calwell is even ok with Picking players.   He has many more bust the hits.   WIth the firepower that Caldwell had we should be on the KC level of talent.  This team was bad well before Coughlin got here.    I do not want Caldwell making next year's picks.

We would've been if all our players didn't leave. I mean we've lost like 5-6 pro bowl caliber players that Caldwell dafted. That's pretty significant. Hard to say why exactly they all left though and whether that's on Caldwell. Unfortunately we have the whole Coughlin situation making the waters murky.. I'm not against ruling it out, but all in all he's a pretty good drafter and cap manager. But not showing much else.

(10-12-2020, 09:55 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote:
(10-10-2020, 09:25 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I would not say Calwell is even ok with Picking players.   He has many more bust the hits.   WIth the firepower that Caldwell had we should be on the KC level of talent.  This team was bad well before Coughlin got here.    I do not want Caldwell making next year's picks.

We would've been if all our players didn't leave. I mean we've lost like 5-6 pro bowl caliber players that Caldwell dafted. That's pretty significant. Hard to say why exactly they all left though and whether that's on Caldwell. Unfortunately we have the whole Coughlin situation making the waters murky.. I'm not against ruling it out, but all in all he's a pretty good drafter and cap manager. But not showing much else.

You are out of your mind.  His drafts as horrible (look at our record dude).  And good cap manager?!?!?!  We are paying more money ($44 million this year) in dead cap space to players who are no longer on our team... by far the most in the League!!!  How do these thoughts get into people's heads?!?!?!

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:51 AM by Minshew Mania.)

(10-12-2020, 10:44 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 09:55 AM)Minshew Mania Wrote: We would've been if all our players didn't leave. I mean we've lost like 5-6 pro bowl caliber players that Caldwell dafted. That's pretty significant. Hard to say why exactly they all left though and whether that's on Caldwell. Unfortunately we have the whole Coughlin situation making the waters murky.. I'm not against ruling it out, but all in all he's a pretty good drafter and cap manager. But not showing much else.

You are out of your mind.  His drafts as horrible (look at our record dude).  And good cap manager?!?!?!  We are paying more money ($44 million this year) in dead cap space to players who are no longer on our team... by far the most in the League!!!  How do these thoughts get into people's heads?!?!?!

Yeah well if you judge our drafts based on record then I can see how you can come to that conclusion. You'd have to ignore the awful coaches, but whatever. You're right, our win/loss column is a direct reflection of our God awful drafts. Caldwell is such a loser.

And if you count the dead cap space for one year then yeah, I can see how you can come to that conclusion. You'd have to be ignoring all the Free agent Cuts we literally just did. And also ignore we will have the top cap space going into 2021. But yeah bro, Caldwell is awful worst GM ever. You're totally right.