Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't kick Gardner Minshew to curb in draft

(10-18-2020, 08:01 AM)leopold332002 Wrote:
(10-15-2020, 10:20 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: Considering we just came from Blake Borltes(another Caldwell Gem) Minshew has been a god send.   Again, this team is very mediocre across the board and I do not feel like he is getting a fair shake.

Also Gruden has been calling horrible games lately, too pass happy and forgetting Robinson exist.  We are facing struggling run defenses but instead of playing against their weaknesses we do the opposite.

I still believe in the Stache but the rest of this season is a prove it year for him.  If the jags are picking again near the top of the draft, he is getting replaced and maybe traded.   Hopefully he shows enough to be our franchise guy.

Blake Bortles can make passes that Gardener Minshew wish he can make and he had terrible mechanics. Just because Gardner Minshew plays like Case Keenum on the Minnesota Vikings don't make him a godsend by any means. The thing is both Blake and Gardner Minshew are benefiting from garbage time stats but Gardner wide receivers numbers are down compared to what Blake Bortles did with Allen Robinson Allen hurns. I just hope we're bad enough so we can get Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance or Justin Fields either one will work for me. 

And Bortles makes some passes that I've never seen another NFL quarterback make.

And that's not a good thing in this case.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-20-2020, 01:12 PM)FBT Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 08:40 AM)SamusAranX Wrote: Putting Trevor on this team with this god awful coaching staff will ruin him.

If we actually do draft Trevor Lawrence, I'm assuming it will be a new GM and head coach making those decisions.  

I know that's a stretch, but at some point Khan has to remember he actually owns an NFL franchise, right?

(10-20-2020, 11:13 AM)dennisp3 Wrote: You draft a quarterback let them both compete. This way you don’t waste three years to see if men shoes the man. If the drafted quarterback becomes the starter then you have a great back up Gardner.  Nobody wins consistently in this league without a franchise quarterback.

You don't draft a QB at the top of the draft and hang on to a guy you drafted last year in the 6th round to compete.  You draft your guy, find a willing trade partner for Minshew, and then sign a veteran backup QB to help guide your shiny new QB along.  This is especially true if we somehow stumble into drafting Lawrence.

(10-20-2020, 11:21 AM)Newton Wrote: Hate to see Gardner struggle, but it’s become all too obvious that he was figured out and doesn’t have the physical ability to make certain throws at this level. Great backup guy who will be around in the league for a while, but he is not going to be a long term franchise qb. This is coming from one of his biggest fans.

Gardner was a great story last year.  Everyone was hoping he'd take the next step this year, but he spent more time focusing on his persona and not enough working on developing himself as a starting QB in the NFL.  That hasn't paid off for him.  I think he'd be an okay backup, but I do think he'd have some trade value for the team. Hand the keys to the new guy and move on.  

I too am a Minshew fan, but he's been fully exposed this year and it's pretty disappointing.
Seems like Minshew trained hard in the offseason, so I don’t fault his work ethic. I think it’s more the limitation of arm strength that is simply not possible to overcome. He cannot hit players down the middle of the field in traffic as a result, which limits what defenses have to cover.

(10-20-2020, 02:17 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 08:01 AM)leopold332002 Wrote: Blake Bortles can make passes that Gardener Minshew wish he can make and he had terrible mechanics. Just because Gardner Minshew plays like Case Keenum on the Minnesota Vikings don't make him a godsend by any means. The thing is both Blake and Gardner Minshew are benefiting from garbage time stats but Gardner wide receivers numbers are down compared to what Blake Bortles did with Allen Robinson Allen hurns. I just hope we're bad enough so we can get Trevor Lawrence, Trey Lance or Justin Fields either one will work for me. 

And Bortles makes some passes that I've never seen another NFL quarterback make.

And that's not a good thing in this case.

That's true and that's why both Blake and Gardner are going to be backups for the remainder of their careers. LOL
[Image: giphy.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 09:19 PM by D6.)

(10-20-2020, 04:05 PM)Newton Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 01:12 PM)FBT Wrote: If we actually do draft Trevor Lawrence, I'm assuming it will be a new GM and head coach making those decisions.  

I know that's a stretch, but at some point Khan has to remember he actually owns an NFL franchise, right?

You don't draft a QB at the top of the draft and hang on to a guy you drafted last year in the 6th round to compete.  You draft your guy, find a willing trade partner for Minshew, and then sign a veteran backup QB to help guide your shiny new QB along.  This is especially true if we somehow stumble into drafting Lawrence.

Gardner was a great story last year.  Everyone was hoping he'd take the next step this year, but he spent more time focusing on his persona and not enough working on developing himself as a starting QB in the NFL.  That hasn't paid off for him.  I think he'd be an okay backup, but I do think he'd have some trade value for the team. Hand the keys to the new guy and move on.  

I too am a Minshew fan, but he's been fully exposed this year and it's pretty disappointing.
Seems like Minshew trained hard in the offseason, so I don’t fault his work ethic. I think it’s more the limitation of arm strength that is simply not possible to overcome. He cannot hit players down the middle of the field in traffic as a result, which limits what defenses have to cover.

I realize that the very high praise for Gardner Minshew II is coach speak. Yet, I agree with Matt Patricia's assessment that Minshew is difficult to play against and he extended some plays ( that many QBs wouldn't have ). 

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2020/10/insi...gs-up.html

“They are complementary in the run and the pass game. That is true. Give Minshew credit. That guy got out of some tough looks. He is a great player. He is really difficult to play against. He made some really phenomenal escapes and extended some plays. We have to do a better job and we missed some opportunities there. We missed some, but give him some credit for the athlete that he is."

Taking the work ethic component discussion out of the equation;  I think the keys against Minshew are to limit the Jaguars running game, and not giving him clear throwing lanes he could step up into.  Minshew is most dangerous when he breaks contain and there's no one outside the pocket that inhibits his throw and vision.  Minshew's strengths are pronounced but so are some of his weaknesses.  Whether Minshew is capable and likely to make adjustments to how teams are trying to defend him is a question that the Jaguars 2021 team brass is going to need to try to answer?  

(10-20-2020, 09:17 PM)D6 Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 04:05 PM)Newton Wrote: Seems like Minshew trained hard in the offseason, so I don’t fault his work ethic. I think it’s more the limitation of arm strength that is simply not possible to overcome. He cannot hit players down the middle of the field in traffic as a result, which limits what defenses have to cover.

I realize that the very high praise for Gardner Minshew II is coach speak. Yet, I agree with Matt Patricia's assessment that Minshew is difficult to play against and he extended some plays ( that many QBs wouldn't have ). 

“They are complementary in the run and the pass game. That is true. Give Minshew credit. That guy got out of some tough looks. He is a great player. He is really difficult to play against. He made some really phenomenal escapes and extended some plays. We have to do a better job and we missed some opportunities there. We missed some, but give him some credit for the athlete that he is."

Taking the work ethic component discussion out of the equation;  I think the keys against Minshew are to limit the Jaguars running game, and not giving him clear throwing lanes he could step up into.  Minshew is most dangerous when he breaks contain and there's no one outside the pocket that inhibits his throw and vision.  Minshew's strengths are pronounced but so are some of his weaknesses.  Whether Minshew is capable and likely to make adjustments to how teams are trying to defend him is a question that the Jaguars 2021 team brass is going to need to try to answer?  

Firstly, I dont know if to say well done on the victory or sorry for giving Patricia another week  Big Grin

I think thats a pretty fair analysis of Minshew. I'm supporting the guy but I admit he isnt perfect. Its not going to get any easy for him as the season goes on and I hope he and Gruden can find a style that gets us going again. So many things are broken here.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(10-20-2020, 09:26 PM)JagFan81 Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 09:17 PM)D6 Wrote: I realize that the very high praise for Gardner Minshew II is coach speak. Yet, I agree with Matt Patricia's assessment that Minshew is difficult to play against and he extended some plays ( that many QBs wouldn't have ). 

Firstly, I dont know if to say well done on the victory or sorry for giving Patricia another week  Big Grin

I think thats a pretty fair analysis of Minshew. I'm supporting the guy but I admit he isnt perfect. Its not going to get any easy for him as the season goes on and I hope he and Gruden can find a style that gets us going again. So many things are broken here.

There's no question that Matt Patricia is still on the hot seat. My gut feeling is that the game in Jacksonville bought Patricia at least a couple of additional weeks.  

One thing that I think will help Gardner Minshew and the overall Jaguars team is the expected return of Kicker Josh Lambo. The Jags kicking situation changed the entire complexion of the Texans game and it probably was the difference in the Lions leading 17-3 in the early 3rd QTR instead of 17-9.  

For Minshew to have a realistic chance of sustained success, the Jaguars Coaches have figure out how to get their running game going again.   Another factor is for D.J. Chark to overcome his recent injuries. Minshew would also benefit from better all around TE play and the Jaguars Defense having much better health moving forward.