Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Don't kick Gardner Minshew to curb in draft

(10-11-2020, 05:39 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:27 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: I'm not saying that you definitely take him... I'm talking about all the people that are saying that minshew is horrible... I think he's way better than what we have seen in the past couple of weeks... and all of a sudden the people are coming out of the woodwork bashing him... I'm saying in this situation it ain't minshew that is the problem

He is not though. Minshew had a solid game for his standard, 2 TDs and no INT. Fumble was bad but other than that this was pretty much what you will get from Minshew. High Completion Percentage and fairly accurate in the Red Zone. The Problem is, this game showed that he can't throw it deep, his balls sail and are under thrown. Burrow and Herbert have shown that they can hit Receivers in stride on 50 yarders, Minshew basically under threw Conley and he had to go back and get it. Same thing on the last drive, Minshew missed both throws to Cole. He is an amazing BU QB, maybe a starter for rebuilding teams that don't have their QB yet or want to wait a year for them to mature. But he isn't a franchise QB, and if you look at how the NFL works, a franchise QB is what you need to win it all.

Exactly.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 05:45 PM by nejagsfan.)

(10-11-2020, 05:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:07 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: you just proved my point Cincinnati is horrible... they hadn't won a game until they played us... which means we are even worse... the number one pick is not going to fix our problems.... how's The Jets quarterback doing... or how about the Cardinals.. oh wait that guy lasted a year... how are the Giants doing.... you put a first round quarterback on a s***** [BLEEP] team He's going to fail... how many quarterbacks has Cleveland gone through... they finally got a quarterback but they packed the team with other great players... and guess what they changed management...I would honestly say minshew is up there with Mayfield but you got to have a team around him.... now I'm not saying we shouldn't go for a quarterback if we can get him... but if think that's the answer to all our problems... not a chance.... I would say if we had minshew back in 2017 we might have won a super bowl...

You need to wrap your head around the fact that this roster is so bad, it will be a long-term rebuild.  You need an elite QB to win a championship.  Every week it becomes more clear we do not have that.  You are quite emotional thinking otherwise, and it is clearly clouding your logic and judgements.  Next year is going to look a lot like Cincy this year, or Indy when Peyton Manning got there.  You need the QB first, then get building the rest.  We have 2 first round picks next year... it would be insane NOT to address that next year with our new GM.

The one thing I've learned about watching the NFL the past 40 years... it's a crap shoot... take for instance Brett favre... how many crappie seasons did he have before he got traded... he just happened to go to Green Bay... actually he didn't do too well at first... now take minshew it could be the same situation... maybe we needed to build around him and our management failed to do that.... who's to say that minshew doesn't go to a new team and gets put in the right fit and management.... turns out to be an elite quarterback like Brett favre... it's crap shoot dude... and that's just one example over the past hundred years of the NFL

(10-11-2020, 05:39 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:27 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: I'm not saying that you definitely take him... I'm talking about all the people that are saying that minshew is horrible... I think he's way better than what we have seen in the past couple of weeks... and all of a sudden the people are coming out of the woodwork bashing him... I'm saying in this situation it ain't minshew that is the problem

He is not though. Minshew had a solid game for his standard, 2 TDs and no INT. Fumble was bad but other than that this was pretty much what you will get from Minshew. High Completion Percentage and fairly accurate in the Red Zone. The Problem is, this game showed that he can't throw it deep, his balls sail and are under thrown. Burrow and Herbert have shown that they can hit Receivers in stride on 50 yarders, Minshew basically under threw Conley and he had to go back and get it. Same thing on the last drive, Minshew missed both throws to Cole. He is an amazing BU QB, maybe a starter for rebuilding teams that don't have their QB yet or want to wait a year for them to mature. But he isn't a franchise QB, and if you look at how the NFL works, a franchise QB is what you need to win it all.

lmao what? ok there's so many things that I disagree with on this... He I can't throw a deep seriously I can pull up highlights of him throwing it deep... and accurate... he underthrew people today because he was running for is life... but I also seen him running and throwing the ball before...but when you're running for your life and then trying to throw the ball 50 yards down the field... do you realize how many quarterbacks can't do that... are you a scout do you work for the NFL how do you know he's not a franchise quarterback... like I said in my last comment how long did it take for Brett favre to become an elite quarterback... and you're wrong there's been plenty of quarterbacks "that aren't franchise"  that have been mediocre and win the super bowl...

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 06:28 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-11-2020, 05:43 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:26 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: You need to wrap your head around the fact that this roster is so bad, it will be a long-term rebuild.  You need an elite QB to win a championship.  Every week it becomes more clear we do not have that.  You are quite emotional thinking otherwise, and it is clearly clouding your logic and judgements.  Next year is going to look a lot like Cincy this year, or Indy when Peyton Manning got there.  You need the QB first, then get building the rest.  We have 2 first round picks next year... it would be insane NOT to address that next year with our new GM.

The one thing I've learned about watching the NFL the past 40 years... it's a crap shoot... take for instance Brett favre... how many crappie seasons did he have before he got traded... he just happened to go to Green Bay... actually he didn't do too well at first... now take minshew it could be the same situation... maybe we needed to build around him and our management failed to do that.... who's to say that minshew doesn't go to a new team and gets put in the right fit and management.... turns out to be an elite quarterback like Brett favre... it's crap shoot dude... and that's just one example over the past hundred years of the NFL

I will answer your Brett Favre question:  ZERO.  He had zero crappie seasons before he got traded.  He threw a grand total of 4 passes in Atlanta as a rookie, was traded, and starting winning IMMEDIATELY with a Green Bay team who went 4-12 the year before.  He was young and making mistakes, not playing his best football, but still WINNING. You are actually comparing Minshew to Brett Favre?  Dude.... wow.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 06:40 PM by nejagsfan.)

(10-11-2020, 05:59 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:43 PM)nejagsfan Wrote: The one thing I've learned about watching the NFL the past 40 years... it's a crap shoot... take for instance Brett favre... how many crappie seasons did he have before he got traded... he just happened to go to Green Bay... actually he didn't do too well at first... now take minshew it could be the same situation... maybe we needed to build around him and our management failed to do that.... who's to say that minshew doesn't go to a new team and gets put in the right fit and management.... turns out to be an elite quarterback like Brett favre... it's crap shoot dude... and that's just one example over the past hundred years of the NFL

I will answer your Brett Favre question:  ZERO.  He had zero crappie seasons before he got traded.  He threw a grand total of 4 passes in Atlanta as a rookie, was traded, and starting winning IMMEDIATELY with a Green Bay team who went 4-12 the year before.  He was young and making mistakes, not playing his best football, but still WINNING.  You are actually comparing Minshew to Brett Favre?  Dude.... wow.

you don't get what I'm trying to say... I'm not comparing him to Brett favre.... Brett favre was drafted #33... he had a horrible start... so did Brady..... hell he was drafted in the sixth round... all I'm saying is a guy that goes over all number one in the draft isn't a sure thing.... there's plenty of mediocre quarterbacks to have won super bowls. and they weren't drafted number one.... you need good scouting you need good management.... you could very well have a franchise quarterback in minshew... if you had good management that could put the players on the field that mix well... I mean seriously dude you're joking if you think you could put any franchise quarterback behind our offensive line and have them do well.... and a defense that allows 30 points a game.... why do I feel like if we had 2017 Jacksonville defense and minshew you would be singing a different tune right now

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 01:31 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-11-2020, 06:39 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:59 PM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: I will answer your Brett Favre question:  ZERO.  He had zero crappie seasons before he got traded.  He threw a grand total of 4 passes in Atlanta as a rookie, was traded, and starting winning IMMEDIATELY with a Green Bay team who went 4-12 the year before.  He was young and making mistakes, not playing his best football, but still WINNING.  You are actually comparing Minshew to Brett Favre?  Dude.... wow.

you don't get what I'm trying to say... I'm not comparing him to Brett favre.... Brett favre was drafted #33... he had a horrible start... so did Brady..... hell he was drafted in the sixth round... all I'm saying is a guy that goes over all number one in the draft isn't a sure thing.... there's plenty of mediocre quarterbacks to have won super bowls. and they weren't drafted number one.... you need good scouting you need good management.... you could very well have a franchise quarterback in minshew... if you had good management that could put the players on the field that mix well... I mean seriously dude you're joking if you think you could put any franchise quarterback behind our offensive line and have them do well.... and a defense that allows 30 points a game.... why do I feel like if we had 2017 Jacksonville defense and minshew you would be singing a different tune right now

Dude... you have no idea with what you are talking about.  Regarding Brett Favre's career or seemingly anything else.  Brady has never had a losing season and won a Super Bowl in his SECOND YEAR!!!  WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?????   Wallbash

Of course you can win with a mediocre QB and a great defense.  Ever heard of Trent Dilfer?  Is that really your plan?  To win DESPITE the QB?  If your idea of a franchise QB is David Garrard or Case Keenum, then Minshew is your guy.  But he is never going to be an elite QB... he is just an average NFL quarterback who is already close to his performance ceiling.  He does not have an outstanding arm like Favre or any special athleticism.  It is becoming more apparent each week.  He is Captain Checkdown and hopes the receiver or running back makes some yards.  I don't know what you're looking at my man... but keep drinking the Teal Kool Aid.

If we pass on another QB in hopes Minshew turns into something I'ma be dissapointed. Should have taken Watson/Mahomes the year we took Fournette, QB's don't magically become superstars, he's not one. Love the dude, but we need a good QB for once.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 01:30 AM by Minshew Mania.)

I think everyone is getting carried away here. Minshew is not a franchise guy? How can you say that with any sort of certainty? What, judging him based on 17 games with really [BLEEP] Jaguars teams? Lol, yeah okay bro. He's done pretty decent considering, but I'll admit, the jury is still out. It's not fair to crown him or relegate him to bench duties.

I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed a QB in the first round of the draft, I wouldn't be upset if we grabbed a QB in the 6th round of the draft. We got capital to work with, let's see what happens. I'm sure it'll be another disaster season regardless #becausejaguars.

(10-11-2020, 05:58 PM)nejagsfan Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 05:39 PM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: He is not though. Minshew had a solid game for his standard, 2 TDs and no INT. Fumble was bad but other than that this was pretty much what you will get from Minshew. High Completion Percentage and fairly accurate in the Red Zone. The Problem is, this game showed that he can't throw it deep, his balls sail and are under thrown. Burrow and Herbert have shown that they can hit Receivers in stride on 50 yarders, Minshew basically under threw Conley and he had to go back and get it. Same thing on the last drive, Minshew missed both throws to Cole. He is an amazing BU QB, maybe a starter for rebuilding teams that don't have their QB yet or want to wait a year for them to mature. But he isn't a franchise QB, and if you look at how the NFL works, a franchise QB is what you need to win it all.

lmao what? ok there's so many things that I disagree with on this... He I can't throw a deep seriously I can pull up highlights of him throwing it deep... and accurate... he underthrew people today because he was running for is life... but I also seen him running and throwing the ball before...but when you're running for your life and then trying to throw the ball 50 yards down the field... do you realize how many quarterbacks can't do that... are you a scout do you work for the NFL how do you know he's not a franchise quarterback... like I said in my last comment how long did it take for Brett favre to become an elite quarterback... and you're wrong there's been plenty of quarterbacks "that aren't franchise"  that have been mediocre and win the super bowl...

Im not about to argue about whether or not Minshew is gonna turn into Brady or Favre, Im just not. For him to become a player of that caliber would take a miracle. The rest of our team would have to be absolutely elite in every category for him lead us to a deeper playoff run, and the team is far from that (+ we have experienced first hand that a mediocre QB with an elite team is not how you win it all in the NFL).

I like Minshew, I think he is an awesome guy, and he is probably the best QB we have had in years, so it is tough to say that he might not be the player we should put our money on, but honestly, that just the way I see it. If he can be a bridge guy for us then he would have given us 3 solid years as a starter and that's all you can ask for from a sixth rounder. Then he will have to compete for the job and we will see how he fares...

I feel like we keep having same discussions. The issue starts from the top. We need new GM, Coaches, etc. Given the Jaguars draft busts and injury luck over the past 10 years, possibly even new scouts and trainers.

But eyeing Lawrence or any other QB as the thing you "sell" everything to get does not work well. It takes a lot of ingredients.

If you look at any "dynastic contenders" they typically pair a great coach/scheme with a great QB.

There are occasional outliers where everything comes together for one magical run/season, but trying to plan for those is nearly impossible. 

(05-03-2020, 01:44 AM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(04-30-2020, 11:24 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Wanting to get the #1 pick is a horrible idea, because it means you have to really suck to get it.   If I have a choice between our team getting better next year or getting worse, I would hope we get better.

None of those three were number one overall picks, so the teams they landed on didn't have to suck to get them.  Trying to get the #1 pick so you can draft a particular player is a horrible idea, because it means you have to have the worst team in the league, and that is not the path to the Super Bowl.

This right here.

Since 1998, only 5 QB's started a Super Bowl with the franchise that earned a top 10 pick to draft them by virtue of their record:

Peyton Manning with Colts twice.
Donovan McNabb with Eagles.
Eli Manning with Giants twice. (Yes he was traded to them, but they were also bad enough to get the 4th pick).
Matt Ryan with Falcons.
Cam Newton with Panthers.

And 3 of those guys lost the big game, and Peyton lost once. Alex Smith doesn't count to me, because they don't reach the Super Bowl without Kapernick. Plus even his team lost to the Ravens.

Most other teams traded up to pick their franchise QB, or he fell to them later in the draft.

It's really difficult to turnover a roster of a "worst team" in the league quickly. Plus since the second contract of any franchise quarterback is such a large percentage of the team's cap, the team really needs to be a division contender and able to win a playoff game by your QB's 2nd season.

Sure, just getting "the guy" at all cost may help the Jags be relevant for once, but it may not the best way to actually win a ring/be a true contender.

It will be hilarious to watch the Lawrence lovers when he goes 1-15 here next year. But hey, keep on keeping on.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(10-12-2020, 08:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It will be hilarious to watch the Lawrence lovers when he goes 1-15 here next year. But hey, keep on keeping on.

Putting Trevor on this team with this god awful coaching staff will ruin him.

(10-12-2020, 08:40 AM)SamusAranX Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 08:35 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: It will be hilarious to watch the Lawrence lovers when he goes 1-15 here next year. But hey, keep on keeping on.

Putting Trevor on this team with this god awful coaching staff will ruin him.

Sadly that is the case. And we'll hear how the defense is the problem, the line can't protect him, the gameplan is poor, the coaches are bad, the owner doesn't care and absolutely zero self awareness from the peanut gallery.

#becausejaguars
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 08:51 AM by SignMeUpAtQB.)

It doesn't matter dude. We are 1-4 with Minshew and looking at the schedule, 1-15 isn't out of the question. We suck now!!! and we have sucked for years (aside of 2017). It doesn't matter if we suck with Minshew or Lawrence, but with Lawrence at least there is a chance to have a guy that will be the face of your Franchise, even if he doesn't win in his first year. QB is the most important position in football and if you don't have an elite guy, you are basically loosing. So [BLEEP] it, you gamble til you get a guy that can change your team, I would feel better if the jaguars constantly tried to gamble for a big win in the draft (at QB), rather than giving mediocre (or worse) guys like Minshew, Gabbert, Bortles big contracts and settle for nothing better than 8-8. If you are not a contender, you go for a home run every time until you hit it. And if Lawrence isn't it, you try again. At least show that you are trying to get this right, rather than settling for a guy who can't hit receivers in stride on a deep pass and then wondering why your team isn't beating defenses...

(10-12-2020, 08:49 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote:

It doesn't matter dude. We are 1-4 with Minshew and looking at the schedule, 1-15 isn't out of the question. We suck now!!! and we have sucked for years (aside of 2017). It doesn't matter if we suck with Minshew or Lawrence, but with Lawrence at least there is a chance to have a guy that will be the face of your Franchise, even if he doesn't win in his first year. QB is the most important position in football and if you don't have an elite guy, you are basically loosing. So [BLEEP] it, you gamble til you get a guy that can change your team, I would feel better if the jaguars constantly tried to gamble for a big win in the draft (at QB), rather than giving mediocre (or worse) guys like Minshew, Gabbert, Bortles big contracts and settle for nothing better than 8-8. If you are not a contender, you go for a home run every time until you hit it. And if Lawrence isn't it, you try again. At least show that you are trying to get this right, rather than settling for a guy who can't hit receivers in stride on a deep pass and then wondering why your team isn't beating defenses...

I'm with you, I wanted Watson and Jackson. I just don't think Lawrence is going to come here, and if he does it won't change anything because the players are the tertiary issue with this team.  And the guys pounding for him now will sound exactly like the Minshew supporters over the next two seasons.

(10-12-2020, 09:01 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 08:49 AM)SignMeUpAtQB Wrote: It doesn't matter dude. We are 1-4 with Minshew and looking at the schedule, 1-15 isn't out of the question. We suck now!!! and we have sucked for years (aside of 2017). It doesn't matter if we suck with Minshew or Lawrence, but with Lawrence at least there is a chance to have a guy that will be the face of your Franchise, even if he doesn't win in his first year. QB is the most important position in football and if you don't have an elite guy, you are basically loosing. So [BLEEP] it, you gamble til you get a guy that can change your team, I would feel better if the jaguars constantly tried to gamble for a big win in the draft (at QB), rather than giving mediocre (or worse) guys like Minshew, Gabbert, Bortles big contracts and settle for nothing better than 8-8. If you are not a contender, you go for a home run every time until you hit it. And if Lawrence isn't it, you try again. At least show that you are trying to get this right, rather than settling for a guy who can't hit receivers in stride on a deep pass and then wondering why your team isn't beating defenses...

I'm with you, I wanted Watson and Jackson. I just don't think Lawrence is going to come here, and if he does it won't change anything because the players are the tertiary issue with this team.  And the guys pounding for him now will sound exactly like the Minshew supporters over the next two seasons.

First thing that needs to change (way before the draft) is the coaching, I think we all agree on that here.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:18 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

He probably would.... just like Peyton Manning did in his first year.  This is gonna be a BAD roster next year... regardless of what direction we move in.

What would be more hilarious would be to keep Caldwell and Minshew as a starter with no succession plan, let DC take 2 more "high-quality" defensive players in the first round of the 2021 Draft (think Chaisson and Taven), and go 4-12 next season.  Then you would realize we made a huge mistake, we should have dumped Caldwell after 2020 (well before that, actually), and start all over in 2022 with no franchise quarterback on the roster.  THAT would be hysterical.

(10-12-2020, 10:15 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote:

He probably would.... just like Peyton Manning did in his first year.  This is gonna be a BAD roster next year... regardless of what direction we move in.

What would be more hilarious would be to keep Caldwell and Minshew as a starter with no succession plan, let DC take 2 more "high-quality" defensive players in the first round of the 2021 Draft (think Chaisson and Taven), and go 4-12 next season.  Then you would realize we made a huge mistake, we should have dumped Caldwell after 2020 (well before that, actually), and start all over in 2022 with no franchise quarterback on the roster.  THAT would be hysterical.

In fairness we probably don’t have THAT bad a roster, at least on offense, but the coaching or lack there of kills development. 

I’m not 100% against Dave’s drafting ability, but I am 100% against his retention of players and free agency moves.

(This post was last modified: 10-12-2020, 10:38 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(10-12-2020, 10:31 AM)Corriewf Wrote:
(10-12-2020, 10:15 AM)NeptuneBeachBum Wrote: He probably would.... just like Peyton Manning did in his first year.  This is gonna be a BAD roster next year... regardless of what direction we move in.

In fairness we probably don’t have THAT bad a roster, at least on offense, but the coaching or lack there of kills development. 

I’m not 100% against Dave’s drafting ability, but I am 100% against his retention of players and free agency moves.

We scored only 14 points yesterday against the statistically worst defense in the League.  We are not good on offense.  Some of that is coaching, but most of that is players. Dave's drafting sucks. Worse, he has no vision of shaping a TEAM... he just collects height, weight, and speed guys. Look at Chaisson. Why would we take a guy that is a true 3-4 OLB when we play a 4-3? It makes no sense.

At this point, we’ve all put up with years and years of mediocrity. It’s time to make whatever moves can guarantee a winning future. Drafting a QB in the first round, absolutely. Firing the entire staff and coach? Don’t even give it a second thought. We need some major changes around here