Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Grading is "RACIST!!!"

You can't make this stuff up!!!  

https://www.foxnews.com/us/san-diego-sch...tem-racism

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Late work and classroom behavior are no longer factors in grading.  What a joke.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I need repatriations for my grades then.

I feel sorry for the teachers. They have little recourse to correct student behavior. Now they have even less.

Lmbo. Public school is a joke anyway. What the hell Is allowing people to be late going to help with bridging a gap for retained curriculum. It’s hard to believe those things have any bearing on why failing grades were earned.

My kid got a f but had they not counted him late he would have gotten a 95%... lmbo

Did liberals just call out poor parenting?

How late is late? Can you just turn in everything at the end of the year? Are teachers really going to bother or even have time to grade it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

There's a critical subset of people that won't commit to any side of anything.
But as soon as you tell them that your side of the argument is fixing or reducing racism, they say, "how high should we jump?!"
The racism angle is distraction, IMO.
The actual question,
"Is school about learning, or work ethic, or competing?"
If we're just trying to teach kids facts and methods, we shouldn't care how much or how little work they do, so long as they demonstrate learning on the test.
If it's about work ethic, or "the real world", then every little thing the student does can be judged. That gives us some excuse to be cruel to the kids, but does tomorrow's world necessarily have to be as cruel as today's?
If it's just about competing, then yes, some of the students win, but some lose. Is that acceptable, or is competition not really the best idea for most students?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

Hey hey! Ho ho! Western Civ has got to go!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Forget grades.  Let's just give everyone a participation trophy and ice cream.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(10-18-2020, 10:38 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Forget grades.  Let's just give everyone a participation trophy and ice cream.

[Image: 012213-gus-bradley-600.jpg]

...with sprinkles, of course!
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(10-18-2020, 09:21 PM)mikesez Wrote: There's a critical subset of people that won't commit to any side of anything.
But as soon as you tell them that your side of the argument is fixing or reducing racism, they say, "how high should we jump?!"
The actual question,
If we're just trying to teach kids facts and methods, we shouldn't care how much or how little work they do, so long as they demonstrate learning on the test.
If it's about work ethic, or "the real world", then every little thing the student does can be judged. That gives us some excuse to be cruel to the kids, but does tomorrow's world necessarily have to be as cruel as today's?
If it's just about competing, then yes, some of the students win, but some lose. Is that acceptable, or is competition not really the best idea for most students?

That isn't the issue though. The issue is parent(s) not knowing how to raise a kid, not being financially stable, and not being adults themselves. No matter what you do with school, those kids are always going to be failures because of their parents. Sure 1 or 2 may escape but the vast majority will not. It doesn't matter the race though, it's the homelife.

School prepares you for life. It's not a competition as everyone can get an A, but that is just side stepping the real issue. Students generally fail because they don't put in the work and don't have parents ensuring they put the work in. You can't expect kids to do homework when there are fun things they could be doing.

It all goes back the leftist destroying of the American family and values.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

(10-19-2020, 01:12 AM)p_rushing Wrote:
(10-18-2020, 09:21 PM)mikesez Wrote: There's a critical subset of people that won't commit to any side of anything.
The actual question,

That isn't the issue though. The issue is parent(s) not knowing how to raise a kid, not being financially stable, and not being adults themselves. No matter what you do with school, those kids are always going to be failures because of their parents. Sure 1 or 2 may escape but the vast majority will not. It doesn't matter the race though, it's the homelife.

School prepares you for life. It's not a competition as everyone can get an A, but that is just side stepping the real issue. Students generally fail because they don't put in the work and don't have parents ensuring they put the work in. You can't expect kids to do homework when there are fun things they could be doing.

It all goes back the leftist destroying of the American family and values.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

You're landing on the side of "school is about work ethic and the real world" then saying that the reason not everyone succeeds is because some families are broken and have bad values.
I agree that you need a solid home life to succeed in a school that emphasizes work. 
I just wouldn't take it as a given that elementary thru high school should emphasize work so much.

This is happening in SF, too. Meritocracy is a product of white supremacy. When are you people going to wake up and realize race has become a political tool?

(10-19-2020, 07:49 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This is happening in SF, too. Meritocracy is a product of white supremacy. When are you people going to wake up and realize race has become a political tool?

These types of leftist knee jerk actions always wash out in the laundry of life. Those who are unwilling to put in the work and discipline always settle at the bottom. It’s really nothing more than leftists protecting their interests by creating a future voter base. 

I just feel sorry for the kids who look to school as a form of discipline and guidance to achieve when their home life doesn’t. Now the left wants to take that away as well.

I feel worse for the teachers who have to pretend they still love living in CA but secretly hate their lives.

(10-19-2020, 08:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:49 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: This is happening in SF, too. Meritocracy is a product of white supremacy. When are you people going to wake up and realize race has become a political tool?

These types of leftist knee jerk actions always wash out in the laundry of life. Those who are unwilling to put in the work and discipline always settle at the bottom. It’s really nothing more than leftists protecting their interests by creating a future voter base. 

I just feel sorry for the kids who look to school as a form of discipline and guidance to achieve when their home life doesn’t. Now the left wants to take that away as well.

These aren't leftist knee jerk reactions. These are calculated positions, supported by years of destructive philosophy and activist money.

(10-19-2020, 08:45 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 08:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: These types of leftist knee jerk actions always wash out in the laundry of life. Those who are unwilling to put in the work and discipline always settle at the bottom. It’s really nothing more than leftists protecting their interests by creating a future voter base. 

These aren't leftist knee jerk reactions. These are calculated positions, supported by years of destructive philosophy and activist money.

However it’s characterized, it doesn’t change the ultimate outcome. There will be local instances where something this stupid is enacted, but the futility is eventually exposed. 

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if this school district slowly walks it back when it creates more harm than good. If anything, the teacher’s unions will begin the pushback.

Sending your children to public schools is tantamount to child abuse IMO.

Whats that? Can't afford private school? To damn bad, get another job.
Looking to troll? Don't bother, we supply our own.

(10-19-2020, 09:05 AM)Jagwired Wrote: Sending your children to public schools is tantamount to child abuse IMO.

Whats that? Can't afford private school? To damn bad, get another job.

There’s plenty of good public schools. It just requires a little diligence.

(10-19-2020, 08:28 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

I didn't really get a work ethic until my 3rd year of college, and didn't see it improve my grades til the 4th year.
Before that, if the school work didn't pique my interest, I just didn't do it.
Anything the school fails to teach you, you can still pick up later in life. I don't think it's bad to try to give elementary school kids a work ethic, but it's also not a big deal if they don't. Life will teach them regardless. School is mostly a place to put kids where they don't compete with adults for jobs. As we industrialize and automate more, we demand more years of school.  Not because you need more knowledge of history to operate the fancy CNC machine than you needed to operate the old lathe, but because the CNC machine does so much more work by itself that society won't need you trying to operate it until you're older.