Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Draft talk based on Two round draft pick watcher thread

(09-28-2020, 12:48 AM)newporttom Wrote: After Sunday (9/27) games

Jags #1 - #15. As I suspected the number went up. Our strength of schedule is the hardest of the seven 1-2 teams so we are behind them all. And we manged to have the two 0-2 teams tie each other so both stay a half game ahead.
Rams #1 - Rams lost so this improved from 31 to 25.
Vikings #2 - Vikings lost again (0-3). Pick still at #35 because there are 6 0-3 teams.
Jags #2 - Slid a couple spots and is now #46.
Jags #3 - #77

My guess is by the end of this season, their picks will be something like this:

Jags #1 - #5

Rams #1 - # 25 

Jags #2 - #37

Vikings #2 - #39

Four picks in top 39 not bad at all. As far as I'm concerned, the only position groups that should not be considered with these picks are:

RB

WR

LB - take this later in draft

As things stand now, I'd expect the first pick to be either a quarterback (Fields), defensive lineman or offensive lineman.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Add K, P and LS to the exclusion list, we have to be very specific, given our darft history.

Good point. Nothing is a given with this team. Every time I watch this season's MVP, Russell Wilson, it makes me sick that Gene Smith chose Brian Angerer with that 3rd round pick.

BUWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!! So true!! I got the biggest headache after laughing so hard! Hey it the truth!!
LOVE THEM JAGUARS!

(10-11-2020, 07:59 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: As of now we are picking 5th

Still not good enough. Moving from #5 to #1 to get Lawrence will likely cost us both first rounders and a 3rd rounder as well.

(10-11-2020, 08:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Still not good enough. Moving from #5 to #1 to get Lawrence will likely cost us both first rounders and a 3rd rounder as well.

We still have 11 games to go.

(10-11-2020, 08:08 PM)enigma Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 08:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Still not good enough. Moving from #5 to #1 to get Lawrence will likely cost us both first rounders and a 3rd rounder as well.

We still have 11 games to go.

I don't even have faith in this team to lose correctly.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 08:21 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I doubt we get Lawrence and whoever picks first will draft him, nobody is trading out of 1st.

I'd be happy with Sewell

Though I would prefer NOT to pay that price, I'd be willing to do it if it meant we finally had a franchise QB.  TBH, I am hard pressed to see the Jets or Giants winning more than a game.  I'm thinking the best we can hope for is that the Jets win the top overall spot and somehow keep Gase, and the Jets decide to stick with Darnold and agree to give him help, then they decide to trade down.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(10-11-2020, 08:18 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 08:03 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Still not good enough. Moving from #5 to #1 to get Lawrence will likely cost us both first rounders and a 3rd rounder as well.

I doubt we get Lawrence and whoever picks first will draft him, nobody is trading out of 1st.

I'd be happy with Sewell

That's why I have no hope for the future. 

I'd love Sewell, but we'd have to get to #2. He is unquestionably the 2nd best player in the draft. He's a generational LT.

If we could get Lawrence for both 1sts and a 3rd I would do that instantly right now. Unfortunately, whoever winds up with the #1 pick will not accept that.

(10-11-2020, 09:21 PM)Upper Wrote: If we could get Lawrence for both 1sts and a 3rd I would do that instantly right now. Unfortunately, whoever winds up with the #1 pick will not accept that.

Then we have a franchise QB who still has to play from behind every game, because the defense is still so bad. That does us no good either. Caldwell has really screwed us!

(10-11-2020, 09:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree, on paper that's the way it looks, but some weeks I'm just stunned by certain game results. Teams win games every week that on paper, they shouldn't win. It will happen again. As for the Falcons, they've been without Julio Jones. Once he comes back, I can see them winning a couple games. I could see the Giants beating Washington twice and Dallas now that Dax is out. On paper, I see no winnable games for the Jets. They look completely inept at everything. With that said, realistically, I think they end up with 1-2 wins. I also think we will ultimately win two more completely meaningless games at the end of the season, just to screw up our final draft position. That is what I have come to expect from this team. 

There is two "prize" players in the next draft, QB Trevor Lawrence and LT Penei Sewell. I completely expect them to go #1 and #2. Lawrence is a franchise type QB and Sewell is a generational LT. We could desperately use both and I fully expect to miss out on both players.
I take little solace in the Any Given Sunday thing,

The way the Jaguars existence has been, it has always worked against the Jaguars.

We are snakebitten when it comes to the top overall pick.

During expansion, we lost the coin toss to Carolina, and they wound up with the top overall pick.  Granted we wound up getting the better pick (Boselli vs Carolina trading down and getting Kerry Collins).

But then in 2012, we wound up finishing 2-14, but the Chiefs wound up with the #1 overall pick.  They wound up with a decent LT, while we were at #2 and wound up with Joeckel.

I would hate to see us finish 1-15, only to pick #2 at best in a year with Trevor Lawrence.

(10-11-2020, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:21 PM)Upper Wrote: If we could get Lawrence for both 1sts and a 3rd I would do that instantly right now. Unfortunately, whoever winds up with the #1 pick will not accept that.

Then we have a franchise QB who still has to play from behind every game, because the defense is still so bad. That does us no good either. Caldwell has really screwed us!

If we had a true franchise QB our offense would be pretty set as is. We could go on a full defensive spending spree like we did in 2017 and build a defense with FA + the rest of the picks we have + the few good defenders we already have.

(10-11-2020, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Then we have a franchise QB who still has to play from behind every game, because the defense is still so bad. That does us no good either. Caldwell has really screwed us!

If we had a true franchise QB our offense would be pretty set as is. We could go on a full defensive spending spree like we did in 2017 and build a defense with FA + the rest of the picks we have + the few good defenders we already have.

I don't know if it would be fully loaded/ideally stocked, but it wouldn't be like, say. the 2004 offense, which was almost completely devoid of WRs, devoid of Ts, no TEs to speak of.

We wouldn't have an Ephraim Salaam at LT.  We'd have some good WRs and a good RB.

(10-11-2020, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Then we have a franchise QB who still has to play from behind every game, because the defense is still so bad. That does us no good either. Caldwell has really screwed us!

This, also likely better scheme/coaching.

(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 11:58 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(10-11-2020, 09:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I agree, on paper that's the way it looks, but some weeks I'm just stunned by certain game results. Teams win games every week that on paper, they shouldn't win. It will happen again. As for the Falcons, they've been without Julio Jones. Once he comes back, I can see them winning a couple games. I could see the Giants beating Washington twice and Dallas now that Dax is out. On paper, I see no winnable games for the Jets. They look completely inept at everything. With that said, realistically, I think they end up with 1-2 wins. I also think we will ultimately win two more completely meaningless games at the end of the season, just to screw up our final draft position. That is what I have come to expect from this team. 

There is two "prize" players in the next draft, QB Trevor Lawrence and LT Penei Sewell. I completely expect them to go #1 and #2. Lawrence is a franchise type QB and Sewell is a generational LT. We could desperately use both and I fully expect to miss out on both players.
I take little solace in the Any Given Sunday thing,

The way the Jaguars existence has been, it has always worked against the Jaguars.

During expansion, we lost the coin toss to Carolina, and they wound up with the top overall pick.  Granted we wound up getting the better pick (Boselli vs Carolina trading down and getting Kerry Collins).

But then in 2012, we wound up finishing 2-14, but the Chiefs wound up with the #1 overall pick.  They wound up with a decent LT, while we were at #2 and wound up with Joeckel.

I would hate to see us finish 1-15, only to pick #2 at best in a year with Trevor Lawrence.

It would definitely hurt to lose out on a potential franchise QB, but being the type of guy I am, (that believes in building a team from the O-Line on out,) I'd love the chance to finally get a LT that we could plug and play for the next 10 years. We haven't had a great LT since Tony Boselli. I see Sewell as a potential foundational piece in the offense. Even if we don't get Lawrence, I gotta believe that someday we will find our franchise QB. You never know, given what happened today, maybe the Cowboys decide to take one of the overrated QB's in the draft (Trey Lance or Justin Fields.) Maybe they decide not to pay Dak Prescott given the injury. He'd be a nice addition in free agency. I know it's a long shot, but nothing is 100% out of the realm of possibility. I gotta keep hoping or what's the point of watching football anymore?

(10-11-2020, 09:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:43 PM)Upper Wrote: If we had a true franchise QB our offense would be pretty set as is. We could go on a full defensive spending spree like we did in 2017 and build a defense with FA + the rest of the picks we have + the few good defenders we already have.

I don't know if it would be fully loaded/ideally stocked, but it wouldn't be like, say. the 2004 offense, which was almost completely devoid of WRs, devoid of Ts, no TEs to speak of.

We wouldn't have an Ephraim Salaam at LT.  We'd have some good WRs and a good RB.

Oh God, please don't say that name. He was the worst starting LT in the history of the franchise. He was completely incompetent at every aspect of the position. He had no redeeming qualities as a player.

(10-11-2020, 11:55 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(10-11-2020, 09:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I take little solace in the Any Given Sunday thing,

It would definitely hurt to lose out on a potential franchise QB, but being the type of guy I am, (that believes in building a team from the O-Line on out,) I'd love the chance to finally get a LT that we could plug and play for the next 10 years. We haven't had a great LT since Tony Boselli. I see Sewell as a potential foundational piece in the offense. Even if we don't get Lawrence, I gotta believe that someday we will find our franchise QB. You never know, given what happened today, maybe the Cowboys decide to take one of the overrated QB's in the draft (Trey Lance or Justin Fields.) Maybe they decide not to pay Dak Prescott given the injury. He'd be a nice addition in free agency. I know it's a long shot, but nothing is 100% out of the realm of possibility. I gotta keep hoping or what's the point of watching football anymore?

(10-11-2020, 09:53 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I don't know if it would be fully loaded/ideally stocked, but it wouldn't be like, say. the 2004 offense, which was almost completely devoid of WRs, devoid of Ts, no TEs to speak of.

Oh God, please don't say that name. He was the worst starting LT in the history of the franchise. He was completely incompetent at every aspect of the position. He had no redeeming qualities as a player.

The jury is still out on Fields for me.  he put up some impressive numbers last year, but I didn't pay close attention to him last year, and I want to see him this year before I conclude anything.

As for Lance, I've seen even less of him.  I saw clips from last weekend and he was horrible.  He has an arm and can run, but I can't speak for his accuracy or ability to process defenses outside of those clips.

My thing is it is rare to be in a reasonable position to get a true franchise QB.  It's not that I am opposed to Sewell as a player, or for solidifying LT.  But my absolute top priority is to get the franchise QB.  Even if it means trading both firsts a 2 and a 3 this year.

You are right about the LT who shall not be mentioned.  Even Todd Fordham was better than him.

If I had to rank the LTs....

1.  Boselli-by a HUGE margin
2.  Ben Coleman when subbing for Boselli.  Perhaps the most underrated Jaguar.
3.  Khalif Barnes his first two years.  Had a very positive impact his first two years.  I have no idea what happened to him after that
4.  Cam Robinson-had the knee injury two years ago, and it bothered him last year.
5.  Mike Pearson-"Baby Boseeli?  Ha!  But he gave the occasional good snap.
6.  Todd Fordham-NOT good

DAL-  ES

(10-12-2020, 01:20 AM)newporttom Wrote: So after the Vikings figured out how to lose a game they had clinched.... here's where we stand.

Jags #1 -  #6.  It's not really as good as that because there are three 1-4 teams (we are 1-4). If they were 1-4 they would be ahead of us. Chargers play Monday night.  
Rams #1 =  #27.   This keep getting worse as Rams keep winning.
Vikings #2 - #36 -  Vikings and Jags have exact same record and SOS.  Tankathon has them ahead of us in 1st round and flipped in second.
Jags #2  -  #37

We play the Lions next and then the Chargers.  Those are 'must lose' games now.   (and the Vikings down the road).

I smiled watching Russell Wilson and Seattle drive the length of the field to beat the Vikings.

Detroit and the Bolts could both easily beat the Jaguars.  Stafford and Golliday are capable of putting up big plays on our defense, especially since we can't pressure anyone.  The Bolts have the defense that could give us fits (even without  the FSU safety whose name I forget) and Herbert has been playing quite well.

Looking at that package, I'm wondering if the Jets would be willing to accept that in trade for the top pick, should we be somewhere between 3-5 overall?

(10-12-2020, 01:20 AM)newporttom Wrote: So after the Vikings figured out how to lose a game they had clinched.... here's where we stand.

Jags #1 -  #6.  It's not really as good as that because there are three 1-4 teams (we are 1-4). If they were 1-4 they would be ahead of us. Chargers play Monday night.  
Rams #1 =  #27.   This keep getting worse as Rams keep winning.
Vikings #2 - #36 -  Vikings and Jags have exact same record and SOS.  Tankathon has them ahead of us in 1st round and flipped in second.
Jags #2  -  #37

We play the Lions next and then the Chargers.  Those are 'must lose' games now.   (and the Vikings down the road).

Having 4 picks in the top 37 will give the new General Manager many great options. Although it is unlikely, maybe this general manager can persuade Eric Bianemy to accept a generous offer by Khan to coach here. If this doesn't happen, hopefully they will find the right guy to move the franchise forward.

Because we are the Jaguars, Trevor Lawrence will not be an option. The Jets look like they are clearly in the driver's seat to draft Lawrence and there is no way they trade this pick. The best case scenerio is for Justin Fields to continue to improve and have the Jaguars select him with the 2nd or 3rd pick of the draft. As much as I dislike Ohio State, I want to have Fields succeed and draw comparisons to guys like Prescott, Wilson, Jackson and, yes, even Mahomes. He definitely has the athletic skills to succeed, but will he also have all the intangibles required of a franchise quarterback? If he does, the Jaguars may be on the verge of finally finding a quarterback who can eventually get them back to the playoffs. It looks the lowly Bengals and Browns may have found their guys, so why not us? It will not happen right away, but with all the remaining high draft picks and free agent money, the Jaguars should be able to contend in 2-3 more years and stay there for awhile due to the youth on the roster. 

*** Note- If Khan retains Caldwell and Marrone, please disregard all of the above.