Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Doug open to benching Gardner this season

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 07:18 PM by mal234.)

I saw a report that Doug may bench Gardner sometime in the future this season. He said he didn't think about doing it this past Sunday but he may do it "in the future."

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jagua...-continue/

I could see this possibly happening especially if the Jags get blown out even worse in future games against tougher opponents. They are about to enter the harder part of their schedule.

I don't think that Gardner deserves to get benched. Granted I am a Minshew Supporter. But statistically speaking a lot of his numbers have actually been decent. And I don't think he's had a dumpster fire type of game this year. More than anything he hasn't been as effective in games, but I don't think he's been downright terrible. (In one article mentioning this they talked about how during the Lions game Gardner had a season "low" of 243 yards. That's his low for yards thrown this season. He's top 6 in passing stats). But the team is losing and that is the most important stat. If they do bench Gardner, I wonder if they will let Jake Luton play. Jake was the #2 QB behind Gardner, but has been inactive throughout this season. I wonder if they decided to move him to #3 QB because they think that's where his talent is in relation to the QB's on the team. Or if moving him to the #3 spot was initially about just having an experienced veteran behind Gardner in case he went down due to an injury.

If they do bench Gardner at some point, I wonder if they would actually start Glennon in his place or Jake. Maybe they would end up giving both of them playing time depending on the situation. Like if they actually benched Gardner halfway through a game. (Glennon comes in if Jake is inactive, then maybe Jake starts the next game.)

If Gardner is benched this season, I definitely think that means he could more likely be traded in the offseason. Like I mentioned in another thread, I do think there's a good possibility he could end up being traded.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Minshew has little or no trade value.  He's a 6th round pick with a weak arm.  Why would another team give up draft capital for someone like that?

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 07:23 PM by mal234.)

Gardner has shown that he can win some games and is putting up good stats on a team with a lot of problems. As I mentioned in another thread, I definitely believe that he would garner a higher pick than a 6th rounder. He has played above that. He's played better than some of the QB's that have been taken in the first round (like Daniel Jones/ Dwayne Haskins).

I think that some of you that don't like him/don't believe him may end up being surprised should he net a higher pick. Which I believe will happen, if he's traded. I could see him going for a fourth, maybe a third depending on the situation.

My husband who is a Panthers fan, "Minshew doesn't have [BLEEP] to do with the Jags losing, it's that idiot Wash. Why isn't that idiot fired? He and his defensive scheme sucks. Fire Wash, fire Marrone. Minshew is not the problem. Why does Khan still own the franchise? He sucks too."

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 07:51 PM by mal234.)

(10-20-2020, 07:25 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: My husband who is a Panthers fan, "Minshew doesn't have [BLEEP] to do with the Jags losing, it's that idiot Wash. Why isn't that idiot fired? He and his defensive scheme sucks. Fire Wash, fire Marrone. Minshew is not the problem. Why does Khan still own the franchise? He sucks too."

Some fans of other teams know he's not the biggest problem on this team. It's some of the Jags fans who are trying to blame him for a lot/even most of the problems of this team. They've been doing this since the Miami loss. It's also driven by a lot of them wanting Trevor Lawrence no matter how Gardner plays. 

I have seen fans from other teams including Colts, Washington team, Cowboys and even the 49ers were saying they didn't mind their team taking a chance on Gardner. (Jimmy G does have an injury history and has had some struggles this year. Plus the 49ers backups haven't looked so good and that is also what spurred the conversation about possibly adding Gardner as another QB to that team.)

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 07:48 PM by imtheblkranger.)

I don't think Minshew has played anywhere close to being benched and frankly it would be stupid to do

Minshew could absolutely do better. He isn’t the problem, however, and if Marrone is willing to bench him then he’s only trying to save his own job at the cost of Minshew’s progress.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 07:49 PM by mal234.)

(10-20-2020, 07:47 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I don't think Minshew has played anywhere close to being benched

I agree, he hasn't IMHO. But I could see Doug getting desperate (in an attempt to try and save his job) and possibly doing it. Especially after a couple of/few more bad losses, (With possibly even bigger blowouts) against good teams coming up.

(10-20-2020, 07:48 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Minshew could absolutely do better. He isn’t the problem, however, and if Marrone is willing to bench him then he’s only trying to save his own job at the cost of Minshew’s progress.

My thoughts exactly. There's much bigger problems than Minshew and benching him won't fix them

With our O-Line and weak defense, you can't put it all on Minshew. He's one of the 4 people IMHO that are really trying. Robinson, Cole Sr, and Chark re the others
Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2020, 08:07 PM by mal234.)

(10-20-2020, 07:48 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Minshew could absolutely do better. He isn’t the problem, however, and if Marrone is willing to bench him then he’s only trying to save his own job at the cost of Minshew’s progress.

I agree, he can be better in some ways. And he can also be worse too. There is a reason why the Jags aren't the clear cut favorite (at least not right now) to land the #1 pick. Because a bunch of other teams have bad records and stink too, lol. And some of their QB's have been playing worse than Gardner. Including Kirk Cousins, who for whatever reason has been really struggling this year. He has almost as many interceptions as he has TDs. People like to rave about QB's with big arms, but Carson Wentz who has a big arm has been struggling this year. And in the worst division in football, the NFC East. Jimmy G. has also had some problems this year. Daniel Jones went multiple games without throwing a TD this season. I think at least three? Maybe more. Yet you have some people acting like Gardner has played like the worst QB out here. He has not by any stretch of the imagination. And that factoring in his faults/limitations.

People like to criticize Gardner because of his physical traits, but I actually think a lot of the issues he has now are mental. I think he's been worried/stressed about the team constantly be down multiple scores in games. And that's affecting the way he's playing. He's not playing as free/confident as he's played before. He's needs to try and overcome that and just focus on playing the best football that he can. Because he can play good football. He's done some decent things and he's had some struggles. He can do better in some ways, though he's still not in the worst bunch of QB's.

I agree it's nowhere near time to bench him, but it's also clear he is regressing and hurting this team with his play. Right now, I would say the chances of him developing into a franchise guy are slim at best. He could still have some trade value though.

I am on the it is not Gardner's problem we are not winning train. This season is toast and should be used to see what our young players have and how they can develop over the season with some live reps. This will provide a lot of data for using the draft effectively. That includes our other Quarterbacks. So yes Let them play some. You don't have to "bench" anyone, just let them play a quarter or so now and then...call it a training year lol

ps I know sounds crazy....but ... but...but
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(10-20-2020, 07:21 PM)mal234 Wrote:
(10-20-2020, 07:19 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: Minshew has little or no trade value.  He's a 6th round pick with a weak arm.  Why would another team give up draft capital for someone like that?

Gardner has shown that he can win some games and is putting up good stats on a team with a lot of problems. As I mentioned in another thread, I definitely believe that he would garner a higher pick than a 6th rounder. He has played above that. He's played better than some of the QB's that have been taken in the first round (like Daniel Jones/ Dwayne Haskins).

I think that some of you that don't like him/don't believe him may end up being surprised should he net a higher pick. Which I believe will happen, if he's traded. I could see him going for a fourth, maybe a third depending on the situation.

We got a 4th rounder for Foles, so I would suppose we could get a 5th for Minshew.  But I am guessing that if that is all the new GM can get for him, he would likely just ride out his 2 year rookie deal to have a back-up QB that is competent on the roster.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

There isn't anyone better on the roster than Minshew so it's not like benching him would accomplish anything. It would be great if we were able to draft Trevor with the 1st pick of the draft and somehow get some trade value out of Minshew, but I don't see that happening.

The team lacks talent overall. It's not just Minshew. It's poor play on both lines, even though Caldwell has spent a lot of draft capital on both lines - it just hasn't panned out because Caldwell is a horrible drafter. The TE group is as weak as any in the NFL. There is no depth at RB and Caldwell lucked into Robinson as an undrafted free agent.

Most of our players regress under this coaching regime, there are no half time adjustments, and Marrone willingly admits he doesn't know how to fix anything.

There is no accountability and incompetence abounds. It's no wonder the few good players that Caldwell has drafted want to get out of this organization. It's a toxic environment and culture of losing.

But there are pools and Lot J, and next year there will be 2 London games so I guess the fans have that going for them.

Oh boy, I'd prefer it if the QB was the only big problem on this team. But unfortunately its everything, offense, defense, coaches, owner, fans, food vendors, mascot, orientation angle of the stadium, chlorine level of the pools, you name it

Bench for who? Mike Glennon? Luton? LOL. Marrone ate too much bologna before thinking, per usual. While I’ve come to terms and agree Minshew is not the answer, he is atleast a serviceable guy and could be a damn good back up. Develop him into that at least, don’t make it seem like it’s this guys fault lol.

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2020, 02:08 AM by MoJagFan.)

Everything is so stupid. What is being gained by bringing this up?  Hey I know let's destroy the confidence of a second year player when the whole team is a train wreck.

Screw these guys. But Wash is good to go right. The incompetence is getting so annoying. I thought it was bad and I figured this season could be problematic but jeepers creepers they are creating new ways of killing what is left of the fan base.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(10-21-2020, 02:07 AM)MoJagFan Wrote: Everything is so stupid. 

Good points --- I'm providing the cliff notes of your post.

Bring back Brunell