Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who should get hired IF Doug/Dave are fired?

Just wondering who you guys would like to see brought in should Doug/Dave be fired. I understand that a lot of people feel they won't be fired and that may very well be the case. But there are already threads and discussions where people talk about if they will and why they wont be fired. I'd like this thread to not be one of those. Simply go with the assumption (I know what assuming does) that they both will be fired and we're in the market. Any ideas?
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

What will happen? They’ll probably fire Doug mid season and promote Gruden to interim, he will rally some games and get the job going forward.

I would not venture a guess, other than that the new GM will be someone none of us have ever heard of. Reason being, GM is not one of those jobs where people get recycled like coaches do. GMs are almost always picked from a wide group of guys that are beneath the level of GM.

But one thing I will predict is that it will be just like the draft, where people on this message board fall on love with prospects and then have a meltdown when "their guy" is not the one who is hired.

(10-22-2020, 06:27 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I would not venture a guess, other than that the new GM will be someone none of us have ever heard of.   Reason being, GM is not one of those jobs where people get recycled like coaches do.  GMs are almost always picked from a wide group of guys that are beneath the level of GM.  

But one thing I will predict is that it will be just like the draft, where people on this message board fall on love with prospects and then have a meltdown when "their guy" is not the one who is hired.

I'm not asking who WILL be brought in I'm asking who people would like to see and why. I understand that people think we won't let them go and if we do we won't get any good candidates. However the question is not who you think we will but rather who do you want us to bring in if the choice was yours.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

no one is getting fired from the jags. Khan isn't going to fire anyone.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(10-22-2020, 08:31 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: no one is getting fired from the jags. Khan isn't going to fire anyone.

You've been right before but I think you might be wrong this time. If they retain this staff next year attendance may skip below even this year's levels.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(10-22-2020, 05:48 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote: Just wondering who you guys would like to see brought in should Doug/Dave be fired. I understand that a lot of people feel they won't be fired and that may very well be the case. But there are already threads and discussions where people talk about if they will and why they wont be fired. I'd like this thread to not be one of those. Simply go with the assumption (I know what assuming does) that they both will be fired and we're in the market. Any ideas?

not gonna happen: Bienemy, Leftwich
don't let it happen: Garrett, Quinn, any of the Belichick failsons

other than that, big fat ascii shrug.

I am super afraid that our next GM is the equivalent of replacing Shack with Gene.

A young, offensive minded HC

Former position coach from a winning team to be OC but HC still calls plays

I’ll take a grizzled vet/ retread at DC, I’m thinking a Wade Phillips or Anthony Lynn once the Chargers can him

GM is tough, not sure what to do there. But i DON’T want an analytics guy, period.

There are so few good Head Coaches in the NFL. People conflate football knowledge and ability as a coordinator with HC qualification. It doesn't. The fact of the matter is not many people can effectively wear all the hats that are required of a HC. The ones who can, and especially the ones who can simultaneously hold down the GM job, are in rarified air. Finding the right one is almost a crap shoot. Plus you have to take into account the chemistry with ownership and draft luck. Vrabel was a good find for Tennessee. Reid couldn't get it done in Philly, but the gods blessed him with Mahomes in KC. Belichick stumbled out of Cleveland but was bestowed with Tom Terrific and Robert Kraft in NE. Tomlin does pretty good in Pittsburgh but I think his style holds him back. 

Marrone topped out at coordinator. I think a better HC could have leveraged Minshew to more success and team consistency.

However, perhaps all is not lost with the Jaguars on HC prospects.

(10-22-2020, 09:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: There are so few good Head Coaches in the NFL. People conflate football knowledge and ability as a coordinator with HC qualification. It doesn't. The fact of the matter is not many people can effectively wear all the hats that are required of a HC. The ones who can, and especially the ones who can simultaneously hold down the GM job, are in rarified air. Finding the right one is almost a crap shoot. Plus you have to take into account the chemistry with ownership and draft luck. Vrabel was a good find for Tennessee. Reid couldn't get it done in Philly, but the gods blessed him with Mahomes in KC. Belichick stumbled out of Cleveland but was bestowed with Tom Terrific and Robert Kraft in NE. Tomlin does pretty good in Pittsburgh but I think his style holds him back. 

Marrone topped out at coordinator. I think a better HC could have leveraged Minshew to more success and team consistency.

I also don't get the 'we need an offensive minded head coach'.  That's on the coach HIRING the right offensive mind
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Ozzie Newsome & Bill Belichick. They actually worked together in Cleveland. Imagine putting those 2 minds together here in Jacksonville

OK, realistically speaking ..... try to lure Newsome in as GM and hire Joe Brady as the head coach. Joe Brady is great with QBs

I still get the feeling Dave Caldwell is safe... Nit saying that’s what I want to happen but it’s just the feeling that I get.

If Dave is retained then it will probably be Greg Roman or Josh McDaniels.

(10-22-2020, 09:36 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(10-22-2020, 09:31 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: There are so few good Head Coaches in the NFL. People conflate football knowledge and ability as a coordinator with HC qualification. It doesn't. The fact of the matter is not many people can effectively wear all the hats that are required of a HC. The ones who can, and especially the ones who can simultaneously hold down the GM job, are in rarified air. Finding the right one is almost a crap shoot. Plus you have to take into account the chemistry with ownership and draft luck. Vrabel was a good find for Tennessee. Reid couldn't get it done in Philly, but the gods blessed him with Mahomes in KC. Belichick stumbled out of Cleveland but was bestowed with Tom Terrific and Robert Kraft in NE. Tomlin does pretty good in Pittsburgh but I think his style holds him back. 

I also don't get the 'we need an offensive minded head coach'.  That's on the coach HIRING the right offensive mind

Agreed. Head coaches manage more than coach.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 10:42 AM by Upper.)

(10-22-2020, 09:36 AM)RicoTx Wrote:

Because of #1 here. It's not the rule, but a strong preference. If you are successful as a HC your underlings are going to get poached all the time and it's much easier to sustain the success if you have the same offensive mind at coach not a rotating door at the head of the offense.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DwakHI1X4AMN...name=small

HC:Bieniemy or Daboll
GM: Dorsey or probably someone from the Ravens or Chiefs
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(10-22-2020, 11:07 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: HC:Bieniemy or Daboll
GM: Dorsey or probably someone from the Ravens or Chiefs

I've read that Champ Kelly (personnel guy from the Bears) and Bieniemy might be a package deal since they have the same agent.  It would be a great combo for us moving forward.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Bring home Byron Leftwich.

I'm a fan of Brian Schottenheimer as a potential HC candidate.

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 11:52 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

IMO Leftwich isn't ready and probably won't be for the next few years.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 10-22-2020, 11:50 AM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

Leftwich was a lazy player in Jax and has done squat in the NFL with the exception of coaching Brady this season. No way to him.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.