Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Car detail

Wanted to see if there are any car detail enthusiasts out there. Since I am on restrictive exercise by doctor order I went ahead the other day and did a nice detail of my 2 cars. I haven't cleaned them since February so they definitely needed some work. I wanted to see what products and steps you all use and to see what new tricks I can pick up from some of you.

Pre clean. 

-Rinse off lose contaminants with pressure washer at 2000 psi 

spary foam with adams strip wash with foam cannon to remove any old wax and sealants, I let it sit for a few minutes to break down sap, tar, etc. 

I use chemical guys microfiber mit with rinse bucket to physically clean the car. 

next step is to use turtle wax bug and tar remover i spray the front bumper and around the splash guard to remove road grime. I let it sit for 5 minutes. 

While the car is still wet I work on the tires using eagle one all purpose cleaner for the rims and tires. I use a wheel brush from chemical guys to remove the old tire shine dressing and a microfiber cloth to clean the rims. 

I use the microfiber mit to clean the bumper and road grime. 

do a second rinse of the car and tires.

dry with a microx drying towel. 

Decon and clay then cermaic coating 

Rinse the car again then I use meguars iron decon diluted 3.1 i spray the entire car and let it sit for about 5 minutes wait for the purple stuff to show while breaking down then rinse off thoroughly. 

I then use mothers 2.0 with their instant detailing to lube the car, I use the clay bars for areas there the 2.0 car really get like the lower bumper and anywhere else where the body panels have unique grooves that the 2.0 will miss.  I will start at the front of the car on one side of the hood spray lube..clay...then use drying microfiber towel to clean up excess while working my way around the car.  

After I am done then I will use turtle wax ceramic coating. 

I spray twice on each panel buff in with a seperate microfiber towel.

for the maintenance washes I use meguiars was and wax diluted 3.1  with rainx for the windows and turtle wax cermaic wash and wax as a drying aid. I use tire magic gel for the tire shine.
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I drive towards rain clouds.

(10-26-2020, 06:29 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I drive towards rain clouds.

Haha thats once or twice a week hell maybe every other day during the summer
Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 06:44 PM by Jags.)

For someone that hasn’t washed their car in 8 months, you seem a bit anal about it. I mean, it’s pretty descriptive even down to the psi on the washer. Not judging whatsoever. I’m really not.

To answer the question, I usually have three guys sweat like pigs, hop in grass, dirt, bo, and lord knows what gets into my truck seats and floorboard. Misc mud and such typically gets splashed on the outside while edging (especially in wet conditions).

I usually just drive it through a car wash (the good kind with the purdy tire shine) shop vac the loose nasties on the inside and use a Mcguires new car scent car bomb in it. As nasty as we dirty the ole girl up, she for whatever reason cleans up well. I actually get compliments on how clean it is inside and out. I really don’t know why.

Occasionally I’ll take out the weather tech mats and wash them out, but only if the employees have been good

Apparently a platoon, company, battalion,regiment, a friggin’ brigade of birds flew over the house last week.  My wife hit the car wash, later it rained (obviously) and it took about 70% off.  The next day’s rain took off the other 30%.  Hell yeah!! No trips to the car wash this week!  But I will take the car bomb please.

If you want to wash and wax a truck that goes out to the country every weekend I might hire you.  I usually go through the drive-through car wash maybe once a month then depend on the rain showers to rinse the remaining stuff off.  It's a 2016 Ford F-150.

The inside of my truck?  Don't look in there!

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 07:11 PM by Jags.)

(10-26-2020, 07:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: If you want to wash and wax a truck that goes out to the country every weekend I might hire you.  I usually go through the drive-through car wash maybe once a month then depend on the rain showers to rinse the remaining stuff off.  It's a 2016 Ford F-150.

I’d hire you as well!   Same as JIB’s vehicle.  Just a ‘17.  But I’ll pay for the inside.  Because that’s the really bad part.  

How in the hell do you unclick the bold/italic etc on a damn phone?

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 07:22 PM by Jamies_fried_chicken.)

(10-26-2020, 06:43 PM)Jags Wrote: For someone that hasn’t washed their car in 8 months, you seem a bit anal about it.  I mean, it’s pretty descriptive even down to the psi on the washer.  Not judging whatsoever.  I’m really not.  

To answer the question, I usually have three guys sweat like pigs, hop in grass, dirt, bo, and lord knows what gets into my truck seats and floorboard.  Misc mud and such typically gets splashed on the outside while edging (especially in wet conditions).

I usually just drive it through a car wash (the good kind with the purdy tire shine) shop vac the loose nasties on the inside and use a Mcguires new car scent car bomb in it.  As nasty as we dirty the ole girl up, she for whatever reason cleans up well.  I actually get compliments on how clean it is inside and out.  I really don’t know why.

Occasionally I’ll take out the weather tech mats and wash them out, but only if the employees have been good

Detailing has always been a non sport hobby of mines. I just never took the time until about 4 years ago to get the proper tools and products to take care of my car. 

On another note noooooo you drive throught the car wash? Every time i go to fill up and I see a car go through the car was tunnel i die inside while overflowing my gas tank watching them. 

I forgot to add yeah i use turtle wax weather mat cleaner with a soft bristle long brush. After scrubbing i let the foam break down the dirt and grime then rinse with the power wash and air dry while I do the interior.

(10-26-2020, 07:01 PM)Jags Wrote:

Apparently a platoon, company, battalion,regiment, a friggin’ brigade of birds flew over the house last week.  My wife hit the car wash, later it rained (obviously) and it took about 70% off.  The next day’s rain took off the other 30%.  Hell yeah!! No trips to the car wash this week!  But I will take the car bomb please.

Thats the thing I despise the most is bird poop. And if its not removed immediately it will be etched in the paint. I just keep a small bottle of Meguiars quick detailer in the glove box along with a throwaway microfiber towel so if i seen any while im out thats just a quick clean.

(10-26-2020, 07:19 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 06:43 PM)Jags Wrote: For someone that hasn’t washed their car in 8 months, you seem a bit anal about it.  I mean, it’s pretty descriptive even down to the psi on the washer.  Not judging whatsoever.  I’m really not.  

To answer the question, I usually have three guys sweat like pigs, hop in grass, dirt, bo, and lord knows what gets into my truck seats and floorboard.  Misc mud and such typically gets splashed on the outside while edging (especially in wet conditions).

I usually just drive it through a car wash (the good kind with the purdy tire shine) shop vac the loose nasties on the inside and use a Mcguires new car scent car bomb in it.  As nasty as we dirty the ole girl up, she for whatever reason cleans up well.  I actually get compliments on how clean it is inside and out.  I really don’t know why.

Detailing has always been a non sport hobby of mines. I just never took the time until about 4 years ago to get the proper tools and products to take care of my car. 

On another note noooooo you drive throught the car wash? Every time i go to fill up and I see a car go through the car was tunnel i die inside while overflowing my gas tank watching them. 

I forgot to add yeah i use turtle wax weather mat cleaner with a soft bristle long brush. After scrubbing i let the foam break down the dirt and grime then rinse with the power wash and air dry while I do the interior.

I know there are many people that are into keeping their vehicles spotless and clean inside and out.  I’d love to be that guy.  But I just don’t have the time or energy to do it.  I think it speaks volumes for people that keep a clean car like you do.  I honestly wasn’t judging at all.  You’re better than I.  And NO! I don’t use the gas station car was silly!  My truck doesn’t fit in it.  :Smile use the stand alone gate one. Lol. 

But I’m serious, you want to detail mine in and out I’d pay.  And something tells me JIB is serious too.  You wanna make some side money feel free to pm me

(10-26-2020, 06:38 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:

Haha thats once or twice a week hell maybe every other day during the summer

After reading what you do I feel really bad about waxing my truck only once in the last 3 years. I don't mind washing a vehicle (which I do about once or twice a month) but I hate, hate waxing them. 

My neighbor has a shiny new pickup and has a detailer clean it on occasion. I've been thinking about paying someone to wax mine. It's a detestable job, in my book.

(10-26-2020, 07:05 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: If you want to wash and wax a truck that goes out to the country every weekend I might hire you.  I usually go through the drive-through car wash maybe once a month then depend on the rain showers to rinse the remaining stuff off.  It's a 2016 Ford F-150.

Ah jib not you too. I was just coming back to life and died again. I got 2009 F-150 and when the foot step broke off on the passenger side I literally went to duval ford the next day and got another one. Im not a midget but lets just say that foot step helps me wash the top of the truck.

Waxing is the worst

(10-26-2020, 07:24 PM)Jags Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 07:19 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Detailing has always been a non sport hobby of mines. I just never took the time until about 4 years ago to get the proper tools and products to take care of my car. 

I know there are many people that are into keeping their vehicles spotless and clean inside and out.  I’d love to be that guy.  But I just don’t have the time or energy to do it.  I think it speaks volumes for people that keep a clean car like you do.  I honestly wasn’t judging at all.  You’re better than I.  And NO! I don’t use the gas station car was silly!  My truck doesn’t fit in it.  :Smile use the stand alone gate one. Lol. 

But I’m serious, you want to detail mine in and out I’d pay.  And something tells me JIB is serious too.  You wanna make some side money feel free to pm me

Oh good the one that you use dont have bristles that are as abrasive. 

I will most definitely keep your offer in mind.

(10-26-2020, 07:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 06:38 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: Haha thats once or twice a week hell maybe every other day during the summer

After reading what you do I feel really bad about waxing my truck only once in the last 3 years. I don't mind washing a vehicle (which I do about once or twice a month) but I hate, hate waxing them. 

My neighbor has a shiny new pickup and has a detailer clean it on occasion. I've been thinking about paying someone to wax mine. It's a detestable job, in my book.

The best thing to get is a wet wax, all you do is rinse the car and spray it on while its wet. Grab a micofiber towel and dry it. You get the best of three worlds you are putting on a wax while drying..you dont get water spots and you can even do it in direct sunlight.

(10-26-2020, 07:46 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 07:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: After reading what you do I feel really bad about waxing my truck only once in the last 3 years. I don't mind washing a vehicle (which I do about once or twice a month) but I hate, hate waxing them. 

The best thing to get is a wet wax, all you do is rinse the car and spray it on while its wet. Grab a micofiber towel and dry it. You get the best of three worlds you are putting on a wax while drying..you dont get water spots and you can even do it in direct sunlight.

Ah! That's so simple even I can do it. 

Thanks for the tip, JFC.

(10-26-2020, 07:33 PM)Jags Wrote: Waxing is the worst

I dont really do the paste wax anymore because it is time consuming even with a buffer thats doing all the work but one panel can take 10 minutes..add that up and its like an hour to 1 1/2 hours. 

What i just told home..is spray wax is the best to go. It works just as well and takes half the time to apply.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 07:59 PM by Jags.)

I just read that.  That is certainly a game changer.  Maybe I’m old school, idk.  I’ve used products like that but felt I was cheating. Like I wasn’t really getting the true wax.  But if it’s as good, then maybe I’ll do it more often.  Do you find it lasts as long as the paste?

What’s a good wet wax that you recommend?

...and if I use RO water to rinse, thus no spots, would you still recommend the wet wax?

(10-26-2020, 07:49 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(10-26-2020, 07:46 PM)Jamies_fried_chicken Wrote: The best thing to get is a wet wax, all you do is rinse the car and spray it on while its wet. Grab a micofiber towel and dry it. You get the best of three worlds you are putting on a wax while drying..you dont get water spots and you can even do it in direct sunlight.

Ah! That's so simple even I can do it. 

Thanks for the tip, JFC.

No problem

(10-26-2020, 07:55 PM)Jags Wrote: I just read that.  That is certainly a game changer.  Maybe I’m old school, idk.  I’ve used products like that but felt I was cheating. Like I wasn’t really getting the true wax.  But if it’s as good, then maybe I’ll do it more often.  Do you find it lasts as long as the paste?

What’s a good wet wax that you recommend?

...and if I use RO water to rinse, thus no spots, would you still recommend the wet wax?

I would use a paste wax on classic cars or any other car that has thin paint because it can protect from rock chips. 

Paste wax definitely last longer because the bonding is stronger and carnabua wax typically is more resistant to the elements. The problem is making sure the right car soap is being used. If you get something has a high ph like meguiars gold class it will take that paste right off because its a conditioner as well which was meant to strip it.  

A good wet wax is either turtle wax ice and shine..or their hybrid solutions or meguairs hybrid wax.. ive used all 3 and i would say TW’s hybrid wet wax last the longest. 

and yes RO water is the best you dont need a wet wax in that situation you would be better using meguairs quick detailer for spray wax. Its easy to apply and you can easily apply it evenly.

(This post was last modified: 10-26-2020, 08:46 PM by Jags.)

Thank you for the info.  I’ll give it a shot.  I’ll have some free time coming up in 2 weeks.  I’ll wash and then rinse with the RO and try the meguires spray wax.  

What kind of tips do you have for the interior?  I can get it fairly clean.  The seats I’m good.  It’s just all the grit, dust, and grime I get on my dash and door panels.  I’ve heard Play doh works.  But Never tried it.  I usually use Armor all cleaner and the regular armor all.  The nook and crannies give me troubles.  That and the leather on the gear shift.  Mainly cause it’s like trying to clean all the dirt and stuff from a scrotum. I try to clean it in park, shift to neutral, but there is always dirt left over.