Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Puerto Rican statehood

Puerto Rico voted 52%-48% that they should become a state immediately.
Pew research reports that 2/3 of mainland americans favor allowing PR to become a state if that's what they want.
Governor Wanda may appoint two senators and however many representatives and send them to Washington.  Past PR governors have done this.  Both houses of US congress would have to approve adding PR as a state and recognizing their members of Congress.
Mitch McConnel would oppose this simply because he opposes everything (seriously what is that guy *for* besides Republican judges?).
Thoughts?
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(11-05-2020, 01:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: Puerto Rico voted 52%-48% that they should become a state immediately.
Pew research reports that 2/3 of mainland americans favor allowing PR to become a state if that's what they want.
Governor Wanda may appoint two senators and however many representatives and send them to Washington.  Past PR governors have done this.  Both houses of US congress would have to approve adding PR as a state and recognizing their members of Congress.
Mitch McConnel would oppose this simply because he opposes everything (seriously what is that guy *for* besides Republican judges?).
Thoughts?

I think they aren't a state and back Mitch McConnel on this. We don't need additional corrupt representatives in Washington. We have enough. 

Everyone knows what the end game of this one is.

PR has a larger population than 14 states.

Republicans will oppose PR statehood for the same reason they oppose DC statehood: it will result in 2 additional Democrat Senators 4 additional Representatives.

I don't know if I am for it or not.

(11-05-2020, 01:55 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 01:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: Puerto Rico voted 52%-48% that they should become a state immediately.
Thoughts?

I think they aren't a state and back Mitch McConnel on this. We don't need additional corrupt representatives in Washington. We have enough. 

Everyone knows what the end game of this one is.

You and I have enough representation, yes.
The problem is, they have none.
They are US citizens.
With no say in how the federal government is run, and ineligible to receive many federal benefits.
In return, we don't subject them to most federal taxes.
They've looked around, and said, we'll pay those taxes, give us the same recognition and benefits as everyone else.
I think that's great.

No.

We can usher in that change you aren't afraid of.

Thoughts?

Puerto Rico is a [BLEEP] hole.

We don't have enough room to add another star to our flag.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Why would they want to join this racist nation?

Why wouldn't Americans want fellow citizens to have a say?

Especially after America attempted to sterilize the island over a 30 year span

(11-05-2020, 02:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: Why wouldn't Americans want fellow citizens to have a say?

I wonder if they are still hoarding supplies we sent them for hurricane relief in a warehouse in the spirit of making Trump look bad.

Just curious, should we give DC and the virgin islands statehood or only PR?

(11-05-2020, 03:16 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:58 PM)JackCity Wrote: Why wouldn't Americans want fellow citizens to have a say?

I wonder if they are still hoarding supplies we sent them for hurricane relief in a warehouse in the spirit of making Trump look bad.

Just curious, should we give DC and the virgin islands statehood or only PR?

Not sure Virgin Islands is big enough population wise for a state but would be nice if some function was brought in for them to be represented better politically in the US

Why wouldn't the UK want the Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman, etc. to have a say in the UK elections?

(11-05-2020, 03:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

Why wouldn't the UK want the Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman, etc. to have a say in the UK elections?

You'd have to ask them

(11-05-2020, 03:45 PM)JackCity Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 03:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote: Why wouldn't the UK want the Bermuda, British Virgin Islands, Cayman, etc. to have a say in the UK elections?

You'd have to ask them

Don't you live in the UK?

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 04:07 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Absolutely YES !!!!   I went down to PR in March and the people there were very friendly.  That's interesting because the PRs here in the states tend to be more vocal and cocky but it was the opposite with the local islanders.

If anyone has chance to get down there it is really nice.  You can be at 0 feet above sea level (85 degrees temp) and go to 3,500 feet rainforest (60 degrees temp) in 45 minutes ---- very amazing.

Among the many beaches, there is also a marketplace in the middle of the country (through a forest) in a town called Guavate referred to as the Pork Highway where there are live bands, pork roasts, and all kinds of shops --- very festive !!  If you like to party, PR is a great place for it.  Flights from Fort Lauderdale or Orlando are only like $200 and $250 round trip respectively

[Image: 08lech650.2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

[Image: o.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 04:29 PM by mikesez.)

(11-05-2020, 02:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
Thoughts?

Puerto Rico is a [BLEEP] hole.

We don't have enough room to add another star to our flag.

¿Me bromas?

(11-05-2020, 03:43 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:

Those places all issue their own unique passports.  Most of the residents are not UK citizens.
They get priority for emigrating to the UK proper and becoming citizens, but no guarantee.
Kind of like how the US used to treat the Phillippines.

(11-05-2020, 03:51 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 03:45 PM)JackCity Wrote: You'd have to ask them

Don't you live in the UK?

LOL.  You made the same mistake that I did a while back.  I know they all speak English weird, but Ireland is not part of the UK.

(11-05-2020, 04:01 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Absolutely YES !!!!   I went down to PR in March and the people there were very friendly.  That's interesting because the PRs here in the states tend to be more vocal and cocky but it was the opposite with the local islanders.

If anyone has chance to get down there it is really nice.  You can be at 0 feet above sea level (85 degrees temp) and go to 3,500 feet rainforest (60 degrees temp) in 45 minutes ---- very amazing.

Among the many beaches, there is also a marketplace in the middle of the country (through a forest) in a town called Guavate referred to as the Pork Highway where there are live bands, pork roasts, and all kinds of shops --- very festive !!  If you like to party, PR is a great place for it.  Flights from Fort Lauderdale or Orlando are only like $200 and $250 round trip respectively

[Image: 08lech650.2.jpg?quality=90&auto=webp]

[Image: o.jpg]

Get away from the beaches and the tourist areas and Puerto Rico is pretty much a [BLEEP] hole.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 04:39 PM by TearExtractor.)

(11-05-2020, 04:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Get away from the beaches and the tourist areas and Puerto Rico is pretty much a [BLEEP] hole.

So kinda like the majority of the US southern states?

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 04:45 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Most likely because they speak Spanish as their primary language and that's a big issue with a significant part of our country; those that think everyone here should speak English as their primary language and should not pursue speaking other languages.  A large portion of our population really don't like immigrants and even though the PRs would not really be immigrants, some people can't differentiate as they see most Hispanics, Asians, and Indians as immigrants, regardless of whether they would born in the US or outside of the US.

(11-05-2020, 04:31 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Get away from the beaches and the tourist areas and Puerto Rico is pretty much a [BLEEP] hole.

The best part of traveling is to integrate with the local residents and experience their culture; not to sit poolside at the oceanfront hotel and talk to travels from Texas.  My best experiences have come outside of the tourist zones

Thoughts?

Nahhhh