Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Puerto Rican statehood

I'd just like them to keep their tax haven status  Ninja

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 06:43 PM by NewJagsCity.)

I like PR. I've traveled over the entire island, and found the people to be very nice, and English speaking about 60% of the time. They haven't recovered well from Maria, but I wouldn't call it a toilet. Beaches are nice, the center of the island is relatively unspoiled, and the food is good. Some of the best surfing waves in the world at Rincon. Plus, it would make a great location for an additional military presence if needed (We have some Navy there now). I know the Cubans got most of the credit for the Trump bump here in Fla, but don't discount the Puerto Ricans, I have a lot of PR friends, and about 80% of them supported Trump. The anti Trump Hispanics are Mexicans and Cent Americans.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(11-05-2020, 02:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 01:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: Puerto Rico voted 52%-48% that they should become a state immediately.
Pew research reports that 2/3 of mainland americans favor allowing PR to become a state if that's what they want.
Governor Wanda may appoint two senators and however many representatives and send them to Washington.  Past PR governors have done this.  Both houses of US congress would have to approve adding PR as a state and recognizing their members of Congress.
Mitch McConnel would oppose this simply because he opposes everything (seriously what is that guy *for* besides Republican judges?).
Thoughts?

Puerto Rico is a [BLEEP] hole.

We don't have enough room to add another star to our flag.

We brought them on as a US territory for better or for worse. If we claimed the territory, it's ours to take care of. We should've never claimed it to begin with. Blame William McKinley. He was the president that claimed Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War.

(11-05-2020, 08:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 02:56 PM)jagibelieve Wrote: Puerto Rico is a [BLEEP] hole.

We don't have enough room to add another star to our flag.

We brought them on as a US territory for better or for worse. If we claimed the territory, it's ours to take care of. We should've never claimed it to begin with. Blame William McKinley. He was the president that claimed Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War.

Pretty sure JIB was joking, but the US code has specified how to arrange 51, 52, and higher numbers of stars for decades now.  I think the count goes up to 60.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

What would be the cost of getting the infrastructure up to U.S. standards? I think that would be a large factor to consider.

(11-05-2020, 08:47 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 08:01 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: We brought them on as a US territory for better or for worse. If we claimed the territory, it's ours to take care of. We should've never claimed it to begin with. Blame William McKinley. He was the president that claimed Puerto Rico during the Spanish American War.

Pretty sure JIB was joking, but the US code has specified how to arrange 51, 52, and higher numbers of stars for decades now.  I think the count goes up to 60.

I wasn't really referring to the stars on the flag as much as I was referring to people opposing bringing in PR as a state and saying they would cost us too much money.

(11-05-2020, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What would be the cost of getting the infrastructure up to U.S. standards? I think that would be a large factor to consider.

Building codes and electrical codes and plumbing codes are all adopted at the state level.
There are a very limited number of federal infrastructure regulations, and PR has been subject to all of them forever, as far as I know. Airports and seaports are a big one, along with radio frequencies. Another one people forget is ADA.  Pretty sure ADA applies in PR.  I've designed two different sets of resort pools there and we made them compliant.
There are federal standards for federally funded roadways, but as you know most roads are not federally funded. PR has local standards for other roads just like every other state.

(11-05-2020, 09:25 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 08:47 PM)mikesez Wrote: Pretty sure JIB was joking, but the US code has specified how to arrange 51, 52, and higher numbers of stars for decades now.  I think the count goes up to 60.

I wasn't really referring to the stars on the flag as much as I was referring to people opposing bringing in PR as a state and saying they would cost us too much money.

Agreed.  They receive more than they pay in now.  We give them statehood, they will receive more and pay more.  It's probably a wash.  Meanwhile we can get closer to having one set of laws for everyone, and that alone should help expose some of the past corruption that went on there.

Another thing people forget is how the Jones Act really stifles their economy.  I know there are pluses to the act for the US as a whole, but maybe some of the extra $ PR gets are deserved, given how the Jones Act harms them.

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2020, 11:06 PM by Lucky2Last.)

Isn't Guam conservative? We used to make compromise. If we can find another territory to add that would keep the balance, I'd be for it.

(11-05-2020, 09:24 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What would be the cost of getting the infrastructure up to U.S. standards? I think that would be a large factor to consider.

Unfortunately, our infrastructure was neglected over the past 4 years so I'm really not certain if you're talking about real standards or promised standards.

(11-05-2020, 11:06 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Isn't Guam conservative? We used to make compromise. If we can find another territory to add that would keep the balance, I'd be for it.

There are exceptions to every rule. The Republicans controlled both houses when the Dakota territory was admitted as two states instead of one.

(11-05-2020, 01:52 PM)mikesez Wrote: Puerto Rico voted 52%-48% that they should become a state immediately.
Pew research reports that 2/3 of mainland americans favor allowing PR to become a state if that's what they want.
Governor Wanda may appoint two senators and however many representatives and send them to Washington.  Past PR governors have done this.  Both houses of US congress would have to approve adding PR as a state and recognizing their members of Congress.
Mitch McConnel would oppose this simply because he opposes everything (seriously what is that guy *for* besides Republican judges?).
Thoughts?

2/3 of mainland Americans want PR to become the 51st state?  I find that hard to believe.
"We believe in victory!"   - Gus Bradley
"I don't want to believe.  I want to know."   - Carl Sagan

(11-05-2020, 11:35 PM)KodiakJag Wrote:
Thoughts?

2/3 of mainland Americans want PR to become the 51st state?  I find that hard to believe.

So did I. But it's in the polls.  I looked it up.

(11-05-2020, 11:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Unfortunately, our infrastructure was neglected over the past 4 years so I'm really not certain if you're talking about real standards or promised standards.

I understand everyone has their political beliefs, but you sound completely brainwashed stupid saying that.

(11-05-2020, 11:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:15 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Unfortunately, our infrastructure was neglected over the past 4 years so I'm really not certain if you're talking about real standards or promised standards.

I understand everyone has their political beliefs, but you sound completely brainwashed stupid saying that.

They've certainly been neglected here in Ohio. I just read a report where some of our major bridges haven't been touched in decades.

(11-05-2020, 11:40 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:35 PM)KodiakJag Wrote: 2/3 of mainland Americans want PR to become the 51st state?  I find that hard to believe.

So did I. But it's in the polls.  I looked it up.

After the last 2 Presidential elections, our faith in polls should go down quite a bit.

I support statehood for PR , politics be damned there’s no reason we shouldn’t expect them to pay taxes like the rest of us.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

(11-06-2020, 05:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:40 PM)mikesez Wrote: So did I. But it's in the polls.  I looked it up.

After the last 2 Presidential elections, our faith in polls should go down quite a bit.

And the media.

(11-05-2020, 11:18 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:06 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: Isn't Guam conservative? We used to make compromise. If we can find another territory to add that would keep the balance, I'd be for it.

There are exceptions to every rule. The Republicans controlled both houses when the Dakota territory was admitted as two states instead of one.

Clarify your point. The point I am making is that, in a nation so closely divided, adding one state that leaned a particular way could be a breaking point. You know, kind of like the controversy that started the last Civil War. If we add Puerto Rico, add a conservative territory. Not that it will matter in a few years. Dems will send in their community organizers to show the locals how oppressed they are.

(This post was last modified: 11-06-2020, 10:28 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

(11-06-2020, 12:35 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(11-05-2020, 11:41 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I understand everyone has their political beliefs, but you sound completely brainwashed stupid saying that.

They've certainly been neglected here in Ohio. I just read a report where some of our major bridges haven't been touched in decades.

Exactly.  I'm from Pittsburgh and go back very often so I keep an eye on their developments.   They have the 2nd most bridges of any other city in the US and they are in terrible condition as they were built during the steel mill era and are only getting patchwork done for the most part.  Pittsburgh is one of the top cities in education, specializing in science (robotics) and medicine but their infrastructure made virtually no progress in the past 4 years.

https://patch.com/pennsylvania/northhill...pittsburgh

[Image: bridge-getty-1554218600-1894.jpg?width=695]