Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey - Worth Every Penny (article)

(01-06-2021, 11:20 AM)Kane Wrote: Great corner. Not worth the contract or giving up the 2 firsts, imo. The reason is because he doesn't do enough (because of the position) to have enough of an impact on actually winning like a QB or even a pass rusher (sacks, fumbles, negative plays) They just avoid Ramsey mostly, which is great for his stats and cutting the field in half, but the Rams still lost 6 games and struggle to find consistency on offense. How can they fix that if they have all their money tied up in Ramsey (and Donald and Goff)
Allowing only 20 yards per game is great. But strapping the cap and giving up draft capital for a single player not named QB is silly imo. And I'm actually of the opinion you don't strap the cap for any one player really.

How many SB's will the Rams win with Ramsey under that large contract? How much retooling can they do without a first round pick? Is one and done in the playoffs this year really a win?

You guys can go back to arguing how much you hate/love the guy or if he sucks/is the best... Worth that contract and coughing up the draft picks? Not in my opinion.

I think this summarises it perfect.

Ramsey undoubtedly is a fantastic player. But it was a clear ‘all in’ move to win a super bowl. The likelihood of Ramsey seeing out the contact he signed is very very small. And I would almost guarantee that they didn’t expect to us to pick as low as we are with their picks when they made the trade.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-06-2021, 11:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 11:12 AM)RicoTx Wrote: Well that's kind of a ridiculous statement since we did, indeed, get two first round picks.  So he was worth two first round picks.  There's no other way you can spin it.

I can't stand Ramsey as a person, but he's a great player whether you like it or not.

Now thats a ridiculous statement.  So Trent Richardson was worth a 1st round pick when he went to the Colts right?  Yawn was worth a 2nd and 4th since they dis get those picks right?  No i don't think he was worth 2 1sts and the contract he got.  He is a good player.and I never said he wasn't, the best? No

If he was the best he would of been one of the corners on the All Pro team and he hasn't made 1st team All Pro since 2017

Very simple question.  Did we get two firsts?
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-06-2021, 02:43 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 11:57 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Now thats a ridiculous statement.  So Trent Richardson was worth a 1st round pick when he went to the Colts right?  Yawn was worth a 2nd and 4th since they dis get those picks right?  No i don't think he was worth 2 1sts and the contract he got.  He is a good player.and I never said he wasn't, the best? No

If he was the best he would of been one of the corners on the All Pro team and he hasn't made 1st team All Pro since 2017

Very simple question.  Did we get two firsts?

Yes.  We got 2 firsts.  I consider it a boneheaded trade for the Rams to make, especially since their cap is essentially tied up in three players now.

Donald is a game-changing player and makes a noticeable impact on every snap.  Goff is a QB.  Ramsey is prevented from making a huge impact on the game by virtue of being a CB.

In my opinion, I don't think any CB is worth 2 first round draft picks and Ramsey's salary in today's NFL.  I believe we'll see this born out by the Rams' lack of playoff success.

(01-06-2021, 03:18 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 02:43 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Very simple question.  Did we get two firsts?

Yes.  We got 2 firsts.  I consider it a boneheaded trade for the Rams to make, especially since their cap is essentially tied up in three players now.

Donald is a game-changing player and makes a noticeable impact on every snap.  Goff is a QB.  Ramsey is prevented from making a huge impact on the game by virtue of being a CB.

In my opinion, I don't think any CB is worth 2 first round draft picks and Ramsey's salary in today's NFL.  I believe we'll see this born out by the Rams' lack of playoff success.

Whether you or me or whoever thinks he's worth less, he got us two picks.  So, in reality, he was worth two picks.

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 04:27 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(01-06-2021, 04:08 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 03:18 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Yes.  We got 2 firsts.  I consider it a boneheaded trade for the Rams to make, especially since their cap is essentially tied up in three players now.

Whether you or me or whoever thinks he's worth less, he got us two picks.  So, in reality, he was worth two picks
We drafted Blake Bortles with the 3rd overall pick, was he worth the 3rd overall pick?  You’re saying he was but in reality he wasnt

(01-06-2021, 04:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 04:08 PM)RicoTx Wrote: Whether you or me or whoever thinks he's worth less, he got us two picks.  So, in reality, he was worth two picks
We drafted Blake Bortles with the 3rd overall pick, was he worth the 3rd overall pick?  You’re saying he was but in reality he wasnt

You guys are talking by eachother.

Rico is making a market based argument. What the market will bear determines worth. For example a hideous piece of art may sell for a million dollars. The market for that piece was 1 million dollars. Thus it is worth 1 million.
You are arguing from your personal point of view. I wouldn't pay 1 million for that piece of art, it isn't worth it.

Most people on this board would not make the deal for Ramsey, but is someone will then that is the price.

(01-06-2021, 05:30 PM)rufftime Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 04:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We drafted Blake Bortles with the 3rd overall pick, was he worth the 3rd overall pick?  You’re saying he was but in reality he wasnt

Rico is making a market based argument.  What the market will bear determines worth.  For example a hideous piece of art may sell for a million dollars.  The market for that piece was 1 million dollars.  Thus it is worth 1 million.
You are arguing from your personal point of view.  I wouldn't pay 1 million for that piece of art, it isn't worth it.  

Most people on this board would not make the deal for Ramsey, but is someone will then that is the price.

I mean this is just semantics surely? I could go to a car dealership and see a car for $20,000 and offer $40,000 for it. That doesn’t mean that’s it worth. In every trade there’s a winner and a loser.

We won the Ramsey trade IMO,

(01-06-2021, 04:27 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: We drafted Blake Bortles with the 3rd overall pick, was he worth the 3rd overall pick?  You’re saying he was but in reality he wasnt

Rico is making a market based argument.  What the market will bear determines worth.  For example a hideous piece of art may sell for a million dollars.  The market for that piece was 1 million dollars.  Thus it is worth 1 million.
You are arguing from your personal point of view.  I wouldn't pay 1 million for that piece of art, it isn't worth it.  

Bingo.  If one ignoramus paid it.  At least one person thought 'he was worth it'.  Let's not ignore the fact that they also gave him a huge contract.

(01-06-2021, 07:25 PM)Dockerill91 Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 05:30 PM)rufftime Wrote: You guys are talking by eachother.

I mean this is just semantics surely? I could go to a car dealership and see a car for $20,000 and offer $40,000 for it. That doesn’t mean that’s it worth. In every trade there’s a winner and a loser.

We won the Ramsey trade IMO,

Commodities like a car are a bit different than a “one of a kind.”

The car gets rolled into an average worth based on all purchases.

Ramsey is one of a kind (thank god...)

We are starting to get philosophical here!  I'd argue art isn't a commodity as it is too subjective.  There is no functional value from art other then personal enjoyment from looking at it.  Or deriving meaning from it.  

Commodities, cars, Ramsey, etc... have a functional value.  Specifically Ramsey or any football player.  You exchange capital and dollars for a player with the purpose of getting a certain amount of output from them.  Blake Bortles may be "worth" the 3rd overall pick because we chose him there and he may be "worth" the huge contract we gave him because we gave it to him, but clearly we didn't get the output we expected based on everything we gave up to get him.  So do you define "worth" as what you gave up to acquire something or do you define "worth" as the functional value you received.  Or some combination of the two.

Ramsey may be "worth" everything the Rams paid him and gave up to get him because they chose to do so, but I also think they won't get the output to match that.  For now I agree with what Kane said.  He may be one of the best CBs in the league, but I don't think the Rams will get the equivalent value out of him to match what they lost.  I don't think any position is worth two first round picks and a huge contract unless it is a QB or maybe an elite pass rusher on the level of a JJ watt in his prime.  Feels like the Rams are mortgaging their future for a short term run at success.  If they dont achieve it, pretty easy to argue they didnt get enough value out of it.

(01-07-2021, 09:54 AM)rfc17 Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 05:30 PM)rufftime Wrote: You guys are talking by eachother.

We are starting to get philosophical here!  I'd argue art isn't a commodity as it is too subjective.  There is no functional value from art other then personal enjoyment from looking at it.  Or deriving meaning from it.  

Commodities, cars, Ramsey, etc... have a functional value.  Specifically Ramsey or any football player.  You exchange capital and dollars for a player with the purpose of getting a certain amount of output from them.  Blake Bortles may be "worth" the 3rd overall pick because we chose him there and he may be "worth" the huge contract we gave him because we gave it to him, but clearly we didn't get the output we expected based on everything we gave up to get him.  So do you define "worth" as what you gave up to acquire something or do you define "worth" as the functional value you received.  Or some combination of the two.

Ramsey may be "worth" everything the Rams paid him and gave up to get him because they chose to do so, but I also think they won't get the output to match that.  For now I agree with what Kane said.  He may be one of the best CBs in the league, but I don't think the Rams will get the equivalent value out of him to match what they lost.  I don't think any position is worth two first round picks and a huge contract unless it is a QB or maybe an elite pass rusher on the level of a JJ watt in his prime.  Feels like the Rams are mortgaging their future for a short term run at success.  If they dont achieve it, pretty easy to argue they didnt get enough value out of it.

These are all fair points and I honestly don't care which definitions people use. I agree the Rams will not get the return that they want. I will just drop it after this, it isn't that big of a deal really.

The price that any other team would have had to pay to acquire Ramsey (at the time of the trade) would have been at minimum what the Rams offered. Because that offer was on the table for the Jags, that is what Ramsey was worth on that day. Because the return the Rams are getting will likely not match their investment, future deals for CBs of similar skill will probably be lower.

Ramsey voted 1st team All-Pro

(This post was last modified: 01-08-2021, 07:03 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

https://twitter.com/WillieStrokerWI/stat...58881?s=19

Snubbed, like JRob missing the Pro.Bowl

Ramsey's contract isn't their problem, the problem was giving Goff elite QB money.

Jalen >>> pick 20 and 25 (or worse).

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2021, 03:16 PM by The_Franchise_QB.)

(01-10-2021, 02:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Jalen >>> pick 20 and 25 (or worse).

Yep. Been saying since the trade that it was a poor trade for us. I don’t understand trading superstars for draftpicks. You’re trading something proven for unproven. Don’t understand why there isn’t more player for player trades in the nfl. A player for pick trade is a bet on your GM hitting. Period. So everyone cheering the trade was a fan of Caldwell. As long as Caldwell was the guy making the picks it was a L for us. Maybe the second pick hits, but he will need to be an all pro type talent to obviously make this even close.

(01-11-2021, 03:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 02:38 PM)Upper Wrote: Jalen >>> pick 20 and 25 (or worse).

Yep. Been saying since the trade that it was a poor trade for us. I don’t understand trading superstars for draftpicks. You’re trading something proven for unproven. Don’t understand why there isn’t more player for player trades in the nfl. A player for pick trade is a bet on your GM hitting. Period. So everyone cheering the trade was a fan of Caldwell. As long as Caldwell was the guy making the picks it was a L for us. Maybe the second pick hits, but he will need to be an all pro type talent to obviously make this even close.

The fact that he refused to play for us made it a great trade.  It has nothing to do with 'being a fan of Caldwell'.  So you'd prefer a guy sitting out with a pretend injury (that magically cleared up once he was traded) than two first round draft choices?

(01-11-2021, 03:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:16 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote: Yep. Been saying since the trade that it was a poor trade for us. I don’t understand trading superstars for draftpicks. You’re trading something proven for unproven. Don’t understand why there isn’t more player for player trades in the nfl. A player for pick trade is a bet on your GM hitting. Period. So everyone cheering the trade was a fan of Caldwell. As long as Caldwell was the guy making the picks it was a L for us. Maybe the second pick hits, but he will need to be an all pro type talent to obviously make this even close.

The fact that he refused to play for us made it a great trade.  It has nothing to do with 'being a fan of Caldwell'.  So you'd prefer a guy sitting out with a pretend injury (that magically cleared up once he was traded) than two first round draft choices?

You are missing the fact that Ramsey was not hard to move. The return of 2 1st round picks proves that. You trade players for picks when the demand is low, IMO. Could of got a return of a player close in talent back. I would not trade a superstar for picks, I just think that’s flat out dumb.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2021, 03:43 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-11-2021, 03:35 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 03:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote: The fact that he refused to play for us made it a great trade.  It has nothing to do with 'being a fan of Caldwell'.  So you'd prefer a guy sitting out with a pretend injury (that magically cleared up once he was traded) than two first round draft choices?

You are missing the fact that Ramsey was not hard to move. The return of 2 1st round picks proves that. You trade players for picks when the demand is low, IMO. Could of got a return of a player close in talent back. I would not trade a superstar for picks, I just think that’s flat out dumb.

How do you know he was not hard to move?  I certainly don't.  I don't know how you could.  That makes it an opinion rather than a fact.  How many times do you ever see any superstar player traded for equivalent player value?

Ramsey put us in an extremely difficult situation and getting 2 1sts was probably as good of a solution as was possible.

But make no mistake, unlike the common theme from the first three pages we didn't get a steal and Ramsey is worth a lot more than two low 1st rounders.