Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jalen Ramsey - Worth Every Penny (article)

(01-07-2021, 09:54 AM)rfc17 Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 05:30 PM)rufftime Wrote: You guys are talking by eachother.

Rico is making a market based argument.  What the market will bear determines worth.  For example a hideous piece of art may sell for a million dollars.  The market for that piece was 1 million dollars.  Thus it is worth 1 million.
You are arguing from your personal point of view.  I wouldn't pay 1 million for that piece of art, it isn't worth it.  

Most people on this board would not make the deal for Ramsey, but is someone will then that is the price.

We are starting to get philosophical here!  I'd argue art isn't a commodity as it is too subjective.  There is no functional value from art other then personal enjoyment from looking at it.  Or deriving meaning from it.  

Commodities, cars, Ramsey, etc... have a functional value.  Specifically Ramsey or any football player.  You exchange capital and dollars for a player with the purpose of getting a certain amount of output from them.  Blake Bortles may be "worth" the 3rd overall pick because we chose him there and he may be "worth" the huge contract we gave him because we gave it to him, but clearly we didn't get the output we expected based on everything we gave up to get him.  So do you define "worth" as what you gave up to acquire something or do you define "worth" as the functional value you received.  Or some combination of the two.

Ramsey may be "worth" everything the Rams paid him and gave up to get him because they chose to do so, but I also think they won't get the output to match that.  For now I agree with what Kane said.  He may be one of the best CBs in the league, but I don't think the Rams will get the equivalent value out of him to match what they lost.  I don't think any position is worth two first round picks and a huge contract unless it is a QB or maybe an elite pass rusher on the level of a JJ watt in his prime.  Feels like the Rams are mortgaging their future for a short term run at success.  If they dont achieve it, pretty easy to argue they didnt get enough value out of it.

These are all fair points and I honestly don't care which definitions people use. I agree the Rams will not get the return that they want. I will just drop it after this, it isn't that big of a deal really.

The price that any other team would have had to pay to acquire Ramsey (at the time of the trade) would have been at minimum what the Rams offered. Because that offer was on the table for the Jags, that is what Ramsey was worth on that day. Because the return the Rams are getting will likely not match their investment, future deals for CBs of similar skill will probably be lower.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Jalen Ramsey - Worth Every Penny (article) - by rufftime - 01-07-2021, 11:46 AM