Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
2021 Free Agents- Who would you resign?

My top priority, as it is seemingly every 1-2 years, is re-signing Shatley. In a league where, seemingly, most offensive lineman aren't any good anymore, having a backup center who can come in consistently and not cause the line to completely implode is a luxury that no team can afford to give up.

I'd love to re-sign Cole, but I'm worried some team is going to vastly overpay him and try to make him a #1. I don't think he can handle that; I think he's best suited as a #2. So as much as I like him as a player, and as a person from what little I know (his backstory and his lack of publicly insulting or complaining about the team in his 4 years here), I don't think the Jags should get involved in a bidding war over Cole. If they can lock him up before anyone else gets to him on a deal that pays him like a #2, or even maybe a low-end #1 (just because of how much cap space the team has), I'd be for it.

I feel the same about Cam as I do Cole: I'm not sure he's worth the money he's going to command elsewhere. He's pretty streaky. But is there anybody better to replace him with? As I mentioned, offensive line play, in general, is pretty down throughout the league. I was open to the idea of moving Taylor to LT next season and trying Richardson/Smoothies/FA/Rookie at RT, but with how underwhelming Taylor's been, I'm not really comfortable with that idea anymore. If the team can wrangle Cam up with a front-loaded team friendly deal, I'd be happy to bring him back with a constant eye towards replacing him. But I'm not sure I want to pay him "starter LT on the FA market" money.

I don't think O'Shag has a role on the team next year, so as much as I like the guy, I'd let him walk.

On defense, the team needs to lock up Sidney Jones. I know he's got some injury concerns, but the team has the cap space to gamble on his health and his talent is too great to let walk, especially if just to create an unnecessary need on the team.

The only other two I value re-signing at all would be Smoot and Gotsis, but those are both only on fairly close to the minimum deals. Smoot just hasn't made consistent enough progress to be worth anything that would handcuff the Jags to him. If anything, there's a part of me that feels like had McCray not opted out this year, he'd probably have knocked Smoot back into irrelevancy this season. Gotsis is a veteran guy; he doesn't really make an impact--which means he's not a complete liability on the field, so if he wants to come back for cheap, I'd welcome it. Otherwise, I don't think the team will have too many issues replacing him.

If Herndon wants to come back on a one-year minimum deal to try to bet on himself, I guess I'd be open to that too. He's been pretty underwhelming this year, but he's still got speed.

Everyone else I think can be replaced for cheaper than what they'll command on the market.
"The season's not over... we still have a bunch of games to lose..." - TemporaryName

"The middle of the field is like Narnia to us, we don't believe it really exists" - Marvsin

Messages In This Thread
RE: 2021 Free Agents- Who would you resign? - by LMD - 11-19-2020, 02:37 AM