Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars president: TIAA Bank Field upgrades needed before lease extension

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/...400288002/

Stadium upgrade for 6 home games? We had a good run...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Best line out of the article. ie. Khan will make a boat load of money and the taxpayers will pay for this into perpetuity.
"Though many city and civic leaders are supportive of Khan’s vision for Lot J, there’s also growing scrutiny into the terms of the deal, which has been criticized as being one-sided toward the Jaguars’ owner."

(11-24-2020, 09:26 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/...400288002/

Well, we knew this was going to come up at some point. Depending on what they mean by "upgrades", it's going to be a very hard sell given the team's on the field performance since SK took over. The bottom line is that teams don't relocate due to attendance or fan support, they relocate because of stadium issues.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Khan provides an opportunity for Jacksonville to shake off the Cowford cobwebs. If we let the Jaguars move, this city will be continue to be stuck in neutral for the next 50 years because there is nothing else this city provides for recognition.

We have an ocean close by and riverfront property that many cities would kill for, yet we continue to be a backwater. Time to set aside the inferiority complex this city has and start making some long term investments.

(11-24-2020, 10:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 09:26 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: https://www.jacksonville.com/story/news/...400288002/

Well, we knew this was going to come up at some point. Depending on what they mean by "upgrades", it's going to be a very hard sell given the team's on the field performance since SK took over. The bottom line is that teams don't relocate due to attendance or fan support, they relocate because of stadiums.

What kind of improvements could be made to our stadium? We already have enough suites to support local demand. We have pools for crying out loud as well as some of the largest scoreboards in the world.

I don't see how improving our stadium is going to increase any kind of revenue.

(11-24-2020, 10:08 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:06 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Well, we knew this was going to come up at some point. Depending on what they mean by "upgrades", it's going to be a very hard sell given the team's on the field performance since SK took over. The bottom line is that teams don't relocate due to attendance or fan support, they relocate because of stadiums.

What kind of improvements could be made to our stadium? We already have enough suites to support local demand. We have pools for crying out loud as well as some of the largest scoreboards in the world.

I don't see how improving our stadium is going to increase any kind of revenue.

That's why I'm wondering. I think they must be speaking of figuring out a way to enclose the stadium to some degree.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

We need an enclosed stadium. Attending a game for the experience becomes much more appealing in air conditioned comfort, even if the team is losing.

How many folks here have skipped attending a game because they didn’t want to sit in the oppressive heat? I’m raising my hand.

(11-24-2020, 10:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Khan provides an opportunity for Jacksonville to shake off the Cowford cobwebs. If we let the Jaguars move, this city will be continue to be stuck in neutral for the next 50 years because there is nothing else this city provides for recognition.

We have an ocean close by and riverfront property that many cities would kill for, yet we continue to be a backwater. Time to set aside the inferiority complex this city has and start making some long term investments.

I am all for improvements to downtown, but it has been all talk for 8 years even with Curry's head plugged into Shad's keister. If i see another rendering with no action I am going to puke. Imagine what happens if Duval elects a Khan "unfriendly" mayor.

The NFL gets very involved when it comes to stadiums. Not so much attendance.

(11-24-2020, 10:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We need an enclosed stadium. Attending a game for the experience becomes much more appealing in air conditioned comfort, even if the team is losing.

How many folks here have skipped attending a game because they didn’t want to sit in the oppressive heat? I’m raising my hand.

Wonder if that could be added to the existing stadium or require a full teardown. I am not an engineer but I know they kept part of the original Gator Bowl when they built the stadium originally. Curious if it could even support a roof.

(11-24-2020, 10:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:08 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Khan provides an opportunity for Jacksonville to shake off the Cowford cobwebs. If we let the Jaguars move, this city will be continue to be stuck in neutral for the next 50 years because there is nothing else this city provides for recognition.

I am all for improvements to downtown, but it has been all talk for 8 years even with Curry's head plugged into Shad's keister. If i see another rendering with no action I am going to puke. Imagine what happens if Duval elects a Khan "unfriendly" mayor.

Because of our self defeating inferiority complex. We shun progress to spite ourselves.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 10:18 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

It's funny how the NFL leaves horribly outdated stadiums like Lambeau and Heinz field alone when it comes to new stadium pushes.

Curious if Buffalo is feeling the same pressure...

(11-24-2020, 10:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:14 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I am all for improvements to downtown, but it has been all talk for 8 years even with Curry's head plugged into Shad's keister. If i see another rendering with no action I am going to puke. Imagine what happens if Duval elects a Khan "unfriendly" mayor.

Because of our self defeating inferiority complex. We shun progress to spite ourselves.

I don't disagree with that. Personally, I don't mind my tax dollars going to stadium and downtown improvement. It is typically spent on worse....

This post will cause many negative comments but I'm beyond caring.  Maybe it's time for ownership to do something to turn this team and franchise into a winner instead of making demands concerning stadium upgrades.  What good is it to have a great looking stadium if the players, coaches, and general manager constantly under perform.

(11-24-2020, 10:21 AM)jagman Wrote: This post will cause many negative comments but I'm beyond caring.  Maybe it's time for ownership to do something to turn this team and franchise into a winner instead of making demands concerning stadium upgrades.  What good is it to have a great looking stadium if the players, coaches, and general manager constantly under perform.

One could argue Khan's plan all along was to make people lose interest in the team to a point of apathy like your post indicates. Consumers are smarter these days andd "Generation Jaguar" never materialized like we thought it would.

At the end of the day, I think the city will do whatever it takes to keep the Jags here. I also think the stadium could stand to be in a different part of town. Maybe that is why they are slow playing Lot J and Shipyards?

(11-24-2020, 10:13 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We need an enclosed stadium. Attending a game for the experience becomes much more appealing in air conditioned comfort, even if the team is losing.

Yup.  When I was still active military and stationed in NC, we used to make our way down for ONE game a year.  In 2009, in DECEMBER it was the Jags/Dolphins game: The one where we lost to CHAD F'IN HENNE.  It was like 95 in the stadium that day and my wife was 8 months pregnant. It was MISERABLE, I spent almost 10 bucks on an Icee, and we had to drive 6 hrs BACK to NC right after the game.

So yeah, I totes understand not wanting to sit in a boiling hot stadium to watch your team get pasted time and time again.

“Motivation alone is not enough.  If you have an idiot and you motivate him,now you have a motivated idiot.” Jim Rohn

(11-24-2020, 10:17 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It's funny how the NFL leaves horribly outdated stadiums like Lambeau and Heinz field alone when it comes to new stadium pushes.

Curious if Buffalo is feeling the same pressure...

(11-24-2020, 10:16 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Because of our self defeating inferiority complex. We shun progress to spite ourselves.

I don't disagree with that. Personally, I don't mind my tax dollars going to stadium and downtown improvement. It is typically spent on worse....

Wasn’t Heinz field built in the early 2000’s?
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???

Heinz and Lambeau are not comparable. Neither have to contend with heat so dangerous it causes EM crews to haul people out of the stadium. Plus, both have storied and winning legacies which ensures sold out games.

(11-24-2020, 10:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Heinz and Lambeau are not comparable. Neither have to contend with heat so dangerous it causes EM crews to haul people out of the stadium. Plus, both have storied and winning legacies which ensures sold out games.

So the stadium improvements revolve solely around enclosing it and not the number of corporate suites?

So this is how ends huh.

Hopefully the city works with Khan

(11-24-2020, 10:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:45 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: Heinz and Lambeau are not comparable. Neither have to contend with heat so dangerous it causes EM crews to haul people out of the stadium. Plus, both have storied and winning legacies which ensures sold out games.

So the stadium improvements revolve solely around enclosing it and not the number of corporate suites?

I think so because the NFL does not want to broadcast games showing row upon row of empty seats, which is exactly what is shown at Jaguars games because the TV cameras always show the sun baked east side of the stadium. Even when there is a high turnout for a game, that side is always abandoned because of the hot sun.