Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars president: TIAA Bank Field upgrades needed before lease extension

(11-24-2020, 10:56 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:51 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: So the stadium improvements revolve solely around enclosing it and not the number of corporate suites?

I think so because the NFL does not want to broadcast games showing row upon row of empty seats, which is exactly what is shown at Jaguars games because the TV cameras always show the sun baked east side of the stadium. Even when there is a high turnout for a game, that side is always abandoned because of the hot sun.

Yeah, good point.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'd like to see a smaller stadium, 61-63k, either enclosed or with some sort of protection from the sun. Maybe that means losing the Florida-Georgia game. I'd be okay with that. The stadium was built at 75k capacity over Wayne Weaver's objections - to keep the game in town.

They need to build a new 52k seat retractable roof stadium somewhere between 295 and WGV.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(11-24-2020, 11:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: They need to build a new 52k seat retractable roof stadium somewhere between 295 and WGV.

Yep. I'm sure WGV would appreciate that.

(11-24-2020, 11:58 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: They need to build a new 52k seat retractable roof stadium somewhere between 295 and WGV.

52k is way low imo. I'd think 60k would be a good spot. When this team is winning + add in air conditioned seating, 60k would be an easy sell even for a bad team in lil ole Jacksonville.

Families aren't passing down sport traditions. That is why generation jaguar doesn't exist. Population is imported and the loyalty is low. I am in DFW and long term the Cowboys are corporately propped up. Fans are aging out and priced out.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

(11-24-2020, 01:18 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: Families aren't passing down sport traditions.  That is why generation jaguar doesn't exist. Population is imported and the loyalty is low. I am in DFW and long term the Cowboys are corporately propped up. Fans are aging out and priced out.

True. There was always the perceived safety net of Generation Jaguar. If we could get through the tough years we would have the first generation of true Jaguar fans that weren't Miami Dolphin transplants. That hasn't transpired.

I hope for that too, but I think only minimal taxpayer money should ever go to it.  Improve the roads, bring the water and sewer, but the Jaguars should pay for pretty much everything else. 

And I don't think they ever would.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-24-2020, 01:30 PM)mikesez Wrote:

I hope for that too, but I think only minimal taxpayer money should ever go to it.  Improve the roads, bring the water and sewer, but the Jaguars should pay for pretty much everything else. 

And I don't think they ever would.

If they purchase a private stadium then the city would need to understand that it's private. If they purchase a private stadium then the Jaguars have to understand that it's taxable. I think a mix of those two things is best; Jaguars as the anchor tenant but the actual stadium still municipal.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

The NFL and it's owners are not going to allow Khan and Jacksonville to "just add a roof" or lose potential revenues by downgrading capacity. If the NFL and Jags are wanting stadium improvements, these improvements will be increased ticket revenue related, such as increased corporate boxes and/or premium areas. A covering/roof will assist putting people in the seats, but the required improvement(s) will be more than that.

Any improvements would need to be tied to an extended lease agreement so you can amortize the cost over a period and see the return. Currently we would need to amortize over 5 years. Quit using the word investment unless it is one.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-24-2020, 02:59 PM)ATLjag Wrote: The NFL and it's owners are not going to allow Khan and Jacksonville to "just add a roof" or lose potential revenues by downgrading capacity.  If the NFL and Jags are wanting stadium improvements, these improvements will be increased ticket revenue related, such as increased corporate boxes and/or premium areas.  A covering/roof will assist putting people in the seats, but the required improvement(s) will be more than that.

Interesting. Do corporate boxes and premium areas bring in more revenue than general ticket sales? Honest question. I would think a big increase in ticket sales for a covered stadium would be the largest revenue generator.

(11-24-2020, 06:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 02:59 PM)ATLjag Wrote: The NFL and it's owners are not going to allow Khan and Jacksonville to "just add a roof" or lose potential revenues by downgrading capacity.  If the NFL and Jags are wanting stadium improvements, these improvements will be increased ticket revenue related, such as increased corporate boxes and/or premium areas.  A covering/roof will assist putting people in the seats, but the required improvement(s) will be more than that.

Interesting. Do corporate boxes and premium areas bring in more revenue than general ticket sales? Honest question. I would think a big increase in ticket sales for a covered stadium would be the largest revenue generator.

I don't know this for certain but I would guess the premium areas/services bring in more money. This includes the suites which are big revenue generators.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2020, 06:37 PM by NewJagsCity.)

(11-24-2020, 10:28 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:21 AM)jagman Wrote: This post will cause many negative comments but I'm beyond caring.  Maybe it's time for ownership to do something to turn this team and franchise into a winner instead of making demands concerning stadium upgrades.  What good is it to have a great looking stadium if the players, coaches, and general manager constantly under perform.

One could argue Khan's plan all along was to make people lose interest in the team to a point of apathy like your post indicates. Consumers are smarter these days andd "Generation Jaguar" never materialized like we thought it would.

At the end of the day, I think the city will do whatever it takes to keep the Jags here. I also think the stadium could stand to be in a different part of town. Maybe that is why they are slow playing Lot J and Shipyards?

They could buy a chunk of that Davis/Skinner property off of Butler, and build it there. Take the scoreboards with you and incorporate them into the new construction.  That area has already grown like weeds in Spring, it would fit perfectly there.  Leave the old stadium there for Fla/Ga, Gator bowl and monster trucking, it'll be fine.  Daily's place will probably survive as its own entity. Consolidation in the seventies killed any possibility of downtown Jacksonville growing. Downtown Development is a myth and has been ever since I moved here in 1980, and I worked downtown for many years.  Consider this; other than the Berkman Apartments, which obviously ended very badly, the last high-rise skyscraper to be built was the Bank of America building in 1988 (I'm not counting the South bank as 'downtown'). That's how much our downtown has grown.  Since then, we've torn down more than we've built . Build the Renaissance Center just south of the Town Center on whatever land you can acquire out there along with a new stadium, and you're good to go.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(11-24-2020, 06:22 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote:
(11-24-2020, 10:28 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: One could argue Khan's plan all along was to make people lose interest in the team to a point of apathy like your post indicates. Consumers are smarter these days andd "Generation Jaguar" never materialized like we thought it would.

At the end of the day, I think the city will do whatever it takes to keep the Jags here. I also think the stadium could stand to be in a different part of town. Maybe that is why they are slow playing Lot J and Shipyards?

They could buy a chunk of that Davis/Skinner property off of Butler, and build it there. Take the scoreboards with you and incorporate them into the new construction.  That area has already grown like weeds in Spring, it would fit perfectly there.  Leave the old stadium there for Fla/Ga, Gator bowl and monster trucking, it'll be fine.

That would work for me. The traffic would be better too.

Heck I am in favor of Lot J, improving the stadium BUT...it only works for me if the Jaguars are here. No extension no dollars. Why would they not extend?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-24-2020, 06:14 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Ever since the Jags have existed, NFL owners were expected to share all national TV revenue and 1/3 of their general admission ticket revenue.  Suites and luxury boxes had no revenue sharing.  The other owners have little reason to care about those.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(11-24-2020, 10:17 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: It's funny how the NFL leaves horribly outdated stadiums like Lambeau and Heinz field alone when it comes to new stadium pushes.

Curious if Buffalo is feeling the same pressure...

Lambeau was actually updated about 5 years ago and is apparently spectacular now.
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Scrap the lot J idea and focus on the stadium reno/lease extension. Someone said lot J was only 17 acres that's tiny. My yard is almost an acre and I cannot imagine possibly being able to fit 400M worth of stuff on something only 17x the size of my yard.

(11-24-2020, 11:29 PM)Upper Wrote: Scrap the lot J idea and focus on the stadium reno/lease extension. Someone said lot J was only 17 acres that's tiny. My yard is almost an acre and I cannot imagine possibly being able to fit 400M worth of stuff on something only 17x the size of my yard.

Things can be built vertically, y'know?