Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars New GM Candidates?

(This post was last modified: 12-19-2020, 09:32 PM by mikesez.)

(12-18-2020, 08:02 PM)jrvegeeta Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:37 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I have no interest in doing this horse and pony show of changing the GM and coach again. We have done that so many times. We just need a QB every year till we have one.

There’s a reason no team even attempts this. Only some fans think this is a good idea, which is why none of us have anywhere near a shot at being a decent GM.

Coaches and general managers do not think in terms of winning.
They think in terms of other coaches, General managers, and the media not making fun of them.
it's been proven in simulations, and at the high school level, that you improve your chances of winning if you go for it on almost every fourth down.
Simulations and high school football have also shown that surprise onside kicks are a good strategy, and that the only bad time to run a "2 minute" offense is in the second half if you're up by two scores.
Why don't you see these strategies at the power 5 level, or at the NFL level?
Because coaches know that if they ever try such a strategy and lose, the story won't be about how the other team had bigger players or got lucky, the story will be about how you used an unconventional strategy and you shouldn't have.
Coaches are not patient or brave enough to let the law of averages work itself out so that the unconventional strategy can pay off.
One loss is too many.
They're chicken.

Now back to your point, there's no way to test the "draft a quarterback every year until you find the right one" strategy in a computer or at the high school or D2 level.

But you shouldn't assume it's a bad strategy just because no other coach has done it.

About 32 quarterbacks graduate from division 1 college football every single year. And every year in the NFL there are 16 teams, at least, that can't be really sure what they're going to do at quarterback next year. 

And the vast majority of division one college football programs are not teaching their quarterbacks how to read defenses or even line up under center.  

The long-term structural solution to the current shortage of good quarterbacks is to create a developmental league. That would require all the owners to cooperate. 

But the short-term solution, for a team that doesn't have a quarterback, is to draft a quarterback every year, bring in a backup who worked under a franchise quarterback every year, and give all of them opportunities to play complete games until one distinguishes himself in real game action. Keep more than three QBs on the roster. Keep 4 or 5. When you draft a guy, whether you draft him round 1 or round 7, plan to keep him around 4 years regardless. You never know how many guys just needed another honest shot in the league and they could have become the next Terry Bradshaw.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

GM's, Coaches, QB's ... etc. if they don't produce the results you are looking for part ways with them and give some else a chance. I for one am not looking for the results the current GM/coaches have produced so we need to give someone else a chance. I understand the coach was dealt a poopy hand this year, but even then more than a few decisions he made during this season were suspect. That and I have yet to forget the 2017 AFC championship that was squandered in the second half.
A new broom always sweeps clean.