Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars New GM Candidates?

(11-26-2020, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Last year Carolina defense was horrible.  Panthers went defense with everyone of their picks and they got a shut out last week while Dave is still looking like he doesn't know what he's doing.  Burns is looking better than Allen

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Dave Caldwell. I have to admit, I don’t think taking Josh Allen over Brian Burns is one of them.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I think it’s gonna be Bucky....lol
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(11-26-2020, 12:50 PM)JagsFanClubOfMD Wrote:
(11-26-2020, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Last year Carolina defense was horrible.  Panthers went defense with everyone of their picks and they got a shut out last week while Dave is still looking like he doesn't know what he's doing.  Burns is looking better than Allen

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Dave Caldwell. I have to admit, I don’t think taking Josh Allen over Brian Burns is one of them.
Agreed

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 02:31 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

(11-25-2020, 11:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 10:37 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: I have no interest in doing this horse and pony show of changing the GM and coach again. We have done that so many times. We just need a QB every year till we have one.

So you are satisfied with this roster after 7 years of Caldwell at the helm?

He was at the helm for 4 years and the roster was good in 2017, his worst first round pick (fournette) was likely not his choice. He actually makes decent trades lately, I think he has improved in that regard. The current state of the roster is because of the talent Coughlin ran off. If we didn’t have all our actual pro-bowl level players on other teams we would be better. The fact that Caldwell has drafted multiple pro-bowl level players and found many starting level players actually makes me think he is good. We couldn’t get any receivers for years before Caldwell. 

The only real knock on Caldwell is Bortles and maybe tackles.  We tried for too long with him and he just wasn’t the guy. Caldwell hasn’t found a franchise quarterback yet and I think that’s valid. But we also haven’t had the best development for our QBs. If Caldwell gets the 1st overall and gets a clear cut QB to pick I think the opinion of him will change.

On Marrone, I don’t think he’s the best coach, but he’s not as bad as we look right now. It’s not that I think he couldn’t be improved on, it’s just I don’t think the jags can get that guy. Would belichek come to the jags? Probably not. Would shanahan? I doubt it. We get the B-tier. I think our only hope is to promote a guy and hope he translate. Jay Gruden is probably as close to known commodity as we can get

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(11-27-2020, 02:29 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So you are satisfied with this roster after 7 years of Caldwell at the helm?

He was at the helm for 4 years and the roster was good in 2017, his worst first round pick (fournette) was likely not his choice. He actually makes decent trades lately, I think he has improved in that regard. The current state of the roster is because of the talent Coughlin ran off. If we didn’t have all our actual pro-bowl level players on other teams we would be better. The fact that Caldwell has drafted multiple pro-bowl level players and found many starting level players actually makes me think he is good. We couldn’t get any receivers for years before Caldwell. 

The only real knock on Caldwell is Bortles and maybe tackles.  We tried for too long with him and he just wasn’t the guy. Caldwell hasn’t found a franchise quarterback yet and I think that’s valid. But we also haven’t had the best development for our QBs. If Caldwell gets the 1st overall and gets a clear cut QB to pick I think the opinion of him will change.

On Marrone, I don’t think he’s the best coach, but he’s not as bad as we look right now. It’s not that I think he couldn’t be improved on, it’s just I don’t think the jags can get that guy. Would belichek  come to the jags? Probably not. Would shanahan? I doubt it. We get the B-tier. I think our only hope is to promote a guy and hope he translate. Jay Gruden is probably as close to known commodity as we can get

I disagree on us getting B-tier coaches. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world. Our owner has proven that he's not just going to fire you after a bad season. Now sure are we going to get Shanahan to leave the 9ers or Belicheck to leave the Pats? No. But could we have gotten Shanahan from the Falcons? Yes we could've. My point is with an owner who doesn't just fire after a year, thats desirable for job security.

As far as caldwell...he may not be the worst but the dudes had his chances and hadn't shown much. Sure he's had some hits....and some misses. You pointed out we haven't had the best development for our QBs...the GM is still at fault for that. He hired the HC and the HC hires down...if the HC hires bad the GM fires the HC and does something to fix it...he didn't. He brought in Joeckel and failed then Bottles and failed kept Gus for to long. Sorry the guy has had his hits but every failure can be traced back to him. And any up and coming "Shanahan" would love to come to this team with 2 1s and 2 2s with a good cap situation...any gm should also want this job.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

(11-26-2020, 01:37 PM)jvillejagsn1 Wrote: I think it’s gonna be Bucky....lol

Ewww
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 11-27-2020, 04:31 PM by NeptuneBeachBum.)

(11-27-2020, 04:35 AM)AlsJagsFan Wrote:
(11-27-2020, 02:29 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote: He was at the helm for 4 years and the roster was good in 2017, his worst first round pick (fournette) was likely not his choice. He actually makes decent trades lately, I think he has improved in that regard. The current state of the roster is because of the talent Coughlin ran off. If we didn’t have all our actual pro-bowl level players on other teams we would be better. The fact that Caldwell has drafted multiple pro-bowl level players and found many starting level players actually makes me think he is good. We couldn’t get any receivers for years before Caldwell. 

On Marrone, I don’t think he’s the best coach, but he’s not as bad as we look right now. It’s not that I think he couldn’t be improved on, it’s just I don’t think the jags can get that guy. Would belichek  come to the jags? Probably not. Would shanahan? I doubt it. We get the B-tier. I think our only hope is to promote a guy and hope he translate. Jay Gruden is probably as close to known commodity as we can get

I disagree on us getting B-tier coaches. There are only 32 of these jobs in the world. Our owner has proven that he's not just going to fire you after a bad season. Now sure are we going to get Shanahan to leave the 9ers or Belicheck to leave the Pats? No. But could we have gotten Shanahan from the Falcons? Yes we could've. My point is with an owner who doesn't just fire after a year, thats desirable for job security.

As far as caldwell...he may not be the worst but the dudes had his chances and hadn't shown much. Sure he's had some hits....and some misses. You pointed out we haven't had the best development for our QBs...the GM is still at fault for that. He hired the HC and the HC hires down...if the HC hires bad the GM fires the HC and does something to fix it...he didn't. He brought in Joeckel and failed then Bottles and failed kept Gus for to long. Sorry the guy has had his hits but every failure can be traced back to him. And any up and coming "Shanahan" would love to come to this team with 2 1s and 2 2s with a good cap situation...any gm should also want this job.

I would tend to agree with you.  Are some coaches better than others?  Sure, but to a smaller degree than is perceived by the fans.  Every NFL coach knows the X's and O's to a depth most fans cannot comprehend.  They all know what tactical scheme is strong or weak against a given play.  The best coaches can: a) anticipate what their opponent will call in a given situation slightly better than their counterparts, b) know their own personnel's strengths and weaknesses and try to take advantage of the former while minimizing the latter, and c) attack the tactical and personnel weaknesses of their opponents while simultaneously hiding their own flaws.  But all of these differences are marginal and not as significant as perceived by fans. 

Talent plays a far bigger role, imo.  You can have a play on paper where you say "ok, the DT is double teamed here, so we should be good" but that DT is Aaron Donald and he still blows up the play.  Or "we have this receiver doubled here so we are good" but that receiver is DeAndre Hopkins and he still catches the ball.  Do coaches play a role?  Sure.  But again, its not as big as people think. Its the Jimmy's and the Joe's more than the X's and the O's. That's why I am a guy who is beating the drum so loud to get Caldwell out... his record here is BRUTAL. His lack of leadership has created a culture where no one wants to stay here, and you can only blame the X's and O's to a marginal degree.  At some point, you have to see HE is the problem.  Black Monday can't get here soon enough!
This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-86.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-85.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Gotta love how some people continue to ignore this and think everything is fine with Caldwell and Marrone at the helm.  While picking in the top 10 in the draft every year does add a certain amount of excitement to the offseason  the entire regular season simply blows chunks.

(11-27-2020, 06:09 PM)navyjagfan Wrote: This is a results-oriented business.  There are no trophies or titles given for "moral victories" or for "winning the draft".  Our record with DC is 37-85.  6-10 is our 2nd best season in 8 years of Caldwell leadership.  These are the FACTS.

Gotta love how some people continue to ignore this and think everything is fine with Caldwell and Marrone at the helm.  While picking in the top 10 in the draft every year does add a certain amount of excitement to the offseason  the entire regular season simply blows chunks.

Yeah, but if the Jaguars win their next 48 games then Caldwell will have a .500 record as a GM.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

(11-24-2020, 08:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Does Theo Epstein know football?

Funny thing about this... here on ESPN Chicago a few days ago, they talked about this exact scenario (except GM of the Bears). They had him on the radio and asked him this question. He laughed, and said he wouldn't want to disrespect the people who've been around football for decades by even trying. So basically he's sticking to baseball.

Anyone wonder why Kahn has been so quiet as things have gone from bad to worse? No comments no statements, not a peep. Could it be that when Covid hit he had meetings with all his business managers to minimize the impact? Challenging them to find ways to reduce cost and position for the future, keeping as much money in the business. So our guys fearful for their jobs do just that, Trade everyone they can getting future draft picks and release those they can with high Dollar salaries. They review this plan with him warning it could get ugly. This gets them a bye this year putting off the show improvement or else year.....just a wild [BLEEP] guess.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(11-27-2020, 09:54 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Anyone wonder why Kahn has been so quiet as things have gone from bad to worse? No comments no statements, not a peep. Could it be that when Covid hit he had meetings with all his business managers to minimize the impact?  Challenging them to find ways to reduce cost and position for the future, keeping as much money in the business.  So our guys fearful for their jobs do just that, Trade everyone they can getting future draft picks and release those they can with high Dollar salaries. They review this plan with him warning it could get ugly. This gets them a bye this year putting off the show improvement or else year.....just a wild [BLEEP] guess.

The whole "Covid hit" excuse is totally stupid. Every single team has been hit by the feared "Covid" so even if it did play a role in teams having reduced practice or whatever...every team had that same situation. The most logical guess that I could come up with as to why Khan is staying quiet is A) He already knows he's cleaning house or B) He knows he's keeping the staff in place because he plans on moving the team and losing helps that. 

I'm not sure what the reason is but "covid" shouldn't be one....unless it's strictly hit Jacksonville.
"Don't argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference."

Peyton Manning
Here we go again

(This post was last modified: 11-29-2020, 07:34 PM by Upper.)

Sorry if someone already linked this. He also said he had heard great things about Quentin Harris and Ed Dodds but didn't know them personally.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status...4631030784

(11-26-2020, 09:17 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Last year Carolina defense was horrible. Panthers went defense with everyone of their picks and they got a shut out last week while Dave is still looking like he doesn't know what he's doing. Burns is looking better than Allen

Say Goodnight Gracie.....

(11-29-2020, 07:28 PM)Upper Wrote: Sorry if someone already linked this. He also said he had heard great things about Quentin Harris and Ed Dodds but didn't know them personally.

https://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks/status...4631030784

Just give me people from winning organizations that have contributed to their success.

Adam Peters, do it, do it!
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

(11-29-2020, 07:17 PM)Preach Wrote: Peyton Manning

That'd be awesome but talk about a pipe dream.

(11-27-2020, 02:29 AM)HandsomeRob86 Wrote:
(11-25-2020, 11:25 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: So you are satisfied with this roster after 7 years of Caldwell at the helm?

I think you're pretty much spot-on.

Daniel Jeremiah