Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
We should have drafted Justin Jefferson

So many on this board were hungry for a wide receiver in the first round to give us additional offensive firepower. I know we have a strong receiving core, but Justin Jefferson with our second first round pick would have been nice. I have not seen enough from Laviska (who I like as a role player) to think he is on the same level, and Chaisson has been a complete non-factor. Just my 2 cents.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You don't have to tell us, most of us wanted Jefferson at 20.

Yeah agreed. It’s just so frustrating to see our fans make better draft picks on average than our (prior) GM.

(12-07-2020, 11:46 PM)Upper Wrote: You don't have to tell us, most of us wanted Jefferson at 20.

Yes. A lot of us was liking him at 20 especially when the draft fell the way it did.

I for sure would have liked him, but I'm happy with Shenault as well. Especially once we (hopefully) get a good coaching staff.

I read on YouTube that a lot of people said he is going to be a Hall Of Famer when it’s all said and done.

(12-08-2020, 02:06 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I read on YouTube that a lot of people said he is going to be a Hall Of Famer when it’s all said and done.

Lol nice. I do remember a lot of people on this board wanting Jefferson. The craziest thing is I really think we could take the average of what everyone on this board wanted for our first round picks with much better results than our actual staff over the past decade.

(12-08-2020, 06:54 PM)Newton Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 02:06 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I read on YouTube that a lot of people said he is going to be a Hall Of Famer when it’s all said and done.

Lol nice. I do remember a lot of people on this board wanting Jefferson. The craziest thing is I really think we could take the average of what everyone on this board wanted for our first round picks with much better results than our actual staff over the past decade.

You're probably not wrong. Ranking football players seems an ideal application of the wisdom of crowds. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

(12-08-2020, 07:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 06:54 PM)Newton Wrote: Lol nice. I do remember a lot of people on this board wanting Jefferson. The craziest thing is I really think we could take the average of what everyone on this board wanted for our first round picks with much better results than our actual staff over the past decade.

You're probably not wrong. Ranking football players seems an ideal application of the wisdom of crowds. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

It is, but trading and choosing free agents is not.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-08-2020, 07:24 PM)mikesez Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:16 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: You're probably not wrong. Ranking football players seems an ideal application of the wisdom of crowds. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

It is, but trading and choosing free agents is not.

The first step to getting personnel right is correctly evaluating personnel. The Jaguars either have continually failed to do that, or ignored quality and value in favor of filling roster spots with inferior players. Whatever the problem has been, ranking players correctly according to ability is critical.

(12-07-2020, 11:44 PM)Newton Wrote: So many on this board were hungry for a wide receiver in the first round to give us additional offensive firepower. I know we have a strong receiving core, but Justin Jefferson with our second first round pick would have been nice. I have not seen enough from Laviska (who I like as a role player) to think he is on the same level, and Chaisson has been a complete non-factor. Just my 2 cents.

Good old "Diamond" Dave turning draft picks into coal!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-08-2020, 07:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: It is, but trading and choosing free agents is not.

The first step to getting personnel right is correctly evaluating personnel. The Jaguars either have continually failed to do that, or ignored quality and value in favor of filling roster spots with inferior players. Whatever the problem has been, ranking players correctly according to ability is critical.

Agreed. 

But there are a few reasons you're never going to find a GM who admits he just goes with what the crowd wants.
It would be dumb for a GM to telegraph his preferences like that. it would ruin his ability to bargain with the other GMs.

Then you have the problem where the fans become aware of their own power, like pro bowl voting.  Newer and more casual fans would be attracted to the discussion, and would steer it based on their favorite college team, rather than a sincere talent evaluation. A sociologist might call this Campbell's law.

In any case, it is possible to evaluate personell better than the crowd does.
Just like it is possible to win some games in vegas, if you are consistently smarter or have better information than the other bettors. 

But if you're going to be one of the 32 general managers in the NFL, you have to believe that you're better at evaluating personnel than the mass of unpaid fans.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(12-08-2020, 07:32 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 07:24 PM)mikesez Wrote: It is, but trading and choosing free agents is not.

Agreed, like you say.  They were more worried about filling roster spots for need whether it be this year or next year instead of just taking the best player

Lol... had we drafted Jefferson, we wouldn't be getting that 8 solo tackles that Chaisson is giving the Jags. That's potentially 8 TDs that Chaisson saved us. Are you really willing to give up the potential Defensive Rookie of the Year for some run of the mill WR that had 5 TDs against Oklahoma last year.

(12-08-2020, 09:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol... had we drafted Jefferson, we wouldn't be getting that 8 solo tackles that Chaisson is giving the Jags.   That's potentially 8 TDs that Chaisson saved us.  Are you really willing to give up the potential Defensive Rookie of the Year for some run of the mill WR that had 5 TDs against Oklahoma last year.

Haha nice! I like the wisdom of the crowd comments when it comes to draft selections. That would be an excellent experiment. I am so glad Dave is finally gone. Hopefully the next GM reads this board Wink

(12-08-2020, 11:49 PM)Newton Wrote:
(12-08-2020, 09:42 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Lol... had we drafted Jefferson, we wouldn't be getting that 8 solo tackles that Chaisson is giving the Jags.   That's potentially 8 TDs that Chaisson saved us.  Are you really willing to give up the potential Defensive Rookie of the Year for some run of the mill WR that had 5 TDs against Oklahoma last year.

Haha nice! I like the wisdom of the crowd comments when it comes to draft selections. That would be an excellent experiment. I am so glad Dave is finally gone. Hopefully the next GM reads this board Wink

If they really want to check the wisdom of the crowds they would probably need to aggregate much more information. However, it's not hard to get the fans to share their thoughts on which prospects are better than others, so a team that wanted to do that could probably get that kind of polling done without much trouble. 

Imagine Jaguars.com just had a contest for a fan to win $10000 and all you need to do to enter is rank your top 20 players on a contest website, or something like that. It would be a really cheap way to get tens of thousands of not hundreds of thousands of data points. Then all they'd need to do is run the results through some statistical analysis and they'd have a likely better representation of what the ordering of talent in the first round is than if some overpaid clown like Caldwell who had already fallen in love with someone like Bortles were ranking it. And $10000 is a lot less than that all the overpaid clowns running the show down at the stadium get.

Like many of us have been saying, the Jags board would have made much better decisions than Caldwell.

2020: Wirfs and Jefferson
2019: Josh Allen (no brainer)
2018: Goedert or Hernandez
2017: tricky year but Watson or Jamal Adams
2016: Ramsey
2015: Cooper or Leonard Williams

Suffice to say but the Jags would be better off with just letting the board make picks. The board was really split about Watson though so not sure how we would have decided that year.

Not many rookies drafted thaf late in the 1st are pure route runners like Jefferson.

This is another example of not drafting BAP even if it is a position of perceived strength and how it catches up to you.

Firing Caldwell was the best decision Khan has ever made. Worst GM in the league by far.

Yes, Caldwell was trying to replace Yannick instead of trying to find truly elite players.

I am so glad that we will have someone else making personnel decisions for this team.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.