Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Zach Wilson

What does everyone think about Zach Wilson? I think he has a higher ceiling than Justin Fields. 

- He has great pocket presence
- Quick release
- Throw first QB
- Tremendous Arm
- Can make all NFL throws
- Makes it to 3rd and 4th reads
- Very mobile with speed
- 3rd Ranked QB

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I've made it clear that Wilson is my favorite QB in the class. I truly believe he and Lawrence will be top 5 NFL QB's in the next 5 years. Both are what I consider "plug and play" QB's. They can start immediately and begin growing with the team. Both have all the attributes that I want in an NFL QB starting with the mental aspects of the game. That's the most important IMO.

I am also high on Kyle Trask and Mac Jones. They aren't as finished as Lawrence and Wilson, physically speaking. They need some coaching, but I believe at worst, they can be reliable backups. They are not what I consider "plug and play" QB's though and that is what we need. I believe these two are gonna need to sit behind a veteran for a year to get used to the speed of the game. In time, I see them being starting NFL QB's, but they are gonna need to go to patient franchises with really good coaching staffs. Right now, that situation is completely up in the air with us. We have no idea who we're gonna hire at this point.

Trey Lance is an intriguing guy. From the very small sample size I've seen of this kid, (just 1 game,) I definitely see some potential, but there is absolutely no way I would spend a first or second round pick on a QB from such a small school with such a limited number of starts under his belt. That is entirely too risky for a team with so many needs. Lance is the epitome of a "boom or bust" player. He is very raw though and in no way, should be starting for any NFL team for at least a full season, probably 2. Could he turn into an NFL QB? Sure, but you are making a long term investment into his development. Ideally, he should go to a team with an aging veteran who is still playing at a reasonably high level, but may retire in 2-3 years. As a Jaguars fan since day 1 of the team's existence, I just don't have the patience for that. This kid does have a high ceiling, but he also has a very low floor.

Fields is the player I dislike the most, of all the "draftable" QB's. I live in southwestern Ohio and watch him play every week. He is the definition of a good college QB, who when I watch him play, just does not project to the next level imo. He relies too heavily on his athleticism and cuts off his reads at the sign of any trouble. He does have a strong arm, but he rarely uses it to throw into any tight windows. Instead, he is always throwing to wide open receivers or running, which keeps his completion percentage high, but that is not gonna cut it on the next level. NFL QB's have to make throws into tight windows. I've also seen him make bad throws way too many times. Chris Olave has bailed him out a bunch this season by making some pretty dynamic catches on badly thrown passes. I believe Olave is a borderline first rounder in a very deep year for WR's. If we take Fields, I'm gonna be completely "gutted", but that looks like what is gonna happen.

With all this said, as of now, I believe we will draft Fields. I pray I am wrong though. I know it's early and a lot of things can change once the real evaluation processes begin. A lot of things can happen. We don't even know for sure if Zach Wilson is even gonna declare for the draft. All I know is that I cannot endure another bad QB for this team. It's been so long and I've seen soooooooooooo much losing. It seems endless. We have to get this draft right. It's gonna determine our direction for the next 4-5 years. We've wasted so many talented players over the years by not supplying them with competent QB play. Watching that happen again would be crushing.

Wilson looked very good last night against a pretty good S.Diego State defense. He can make all the throws and is able to effectively throw to his 2nd and 3rd options when the primary receiver isn't open. He even had one Mahomes-like play when he had to underhand a pass to his running back. The new general manager will have a very tough decision on draft day. It will define the franchise's success for the next half decade. This organization found that out the hard way with both Gabbert and Bortles.

Shad Khan needs to hire a general manager who is very knowledgeable about quarterbacks and who isn't afraid to be second-guessed on his choice by the media and fans. Fields will be the "easier" choice, because it is what will be expected. However, if his evaluation is in favor of Wilson that needs to be the pick. For the sake of our loyal and suffering fanbase, I hope he gets it right.

(12-13-2020, 01:22 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: Wilson looked very good last night against a pretty good S.Diego State defense. He can make all the throws and is able to effectively throw to his 2nd and 3rd options when the primary receiver isn't open. He even had one Mahomes-like play when he had to underhand a pass to his running back. The new general manager will have a very tough decision on draft day. It will define the franchise's success for the next half decade. This organization found that out the hard way with both Gabbert and Bortles.

Shad Khan needs to hire a general manager who is very knowledgeable about quarterbacks and who isn't afraid to be second-guessed on his choice by the media and fans. Fields will be the "easier" choice, because it is what will be expected. However, if his evaluation is in favor of Wilson that needs to be the pick. For the sake of our loyal and suffering fanbase, I hope he gets it right.

I'm sure Shad/Tony will ask each candidate who they would draft if they had to draft today and Lawrence goes #1. If anyone says Fields, end the interview. I'd rather have Sewell than Fields. Maybe Lawrence balks at going to NYJ, in which case the Jags unload both #1s, #2, and some other picks. Totally worth it to get THE MAN for a decade. Upgrade his offensive line in free agency so he doesn't get killed in Year one and use what's left of the draft picks on defense. That's what GM DogCatcher would do.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Well if Fields is good at throwing to wide open players, he’s gonna love throwing to Chark.

Unless the Jets drop one, come April, Zach Wilson vs Justin Fields will become a huge controversy. At this point, I am leaning towards Wilson but looking forward to the post season games.

Wilson is my favorite QB in the draft. He is a special talent. He has the physical skills everyone looks for and he is a leader. He isn't a system QB and has played in one of the most NFL ready offenses at BYU. The kid is a no brainer at 2. We will probably draft Fields, but give me Wilson over erry body.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-15-2020, 02:30 PM)Dimson Wrote: Wilson is my favorite QB in the draft. He is a special talent. He has the physical skills everyone looks for and he is a leader. He isn't a system QB and has played in one of the most NFL ready offenses at BYU. The kid is a no brainer at 2. We will probably draft Fields, but give me Wilson over erry body.

I wish he were taller and a little more hefty.

No thanks.. Give me Fields..

[Image: ezgif-5-b2a80726c8.gif]

I’ve resigned myself to the fact we’re getting Fields. I try to watch his tape and get excited but it just doesn’t do much for me. It’s him throwing to wide open WRs with a perfectly clean pocket, his WRs making excellent plays, or him running around. Hopefully I’m wrong and I’m just missing what everyone else is seeing that’s making him a mortal lock at 2

(12-15-2020, 08:52 PM)JNev Wrote: I’ve resigned myself to the fact we’re getting Fields. I try to watch his tape and get excited but it just doesn’t do much for me. It’s him throwing to wide open WRs with a perfectly clean pocket, his WRs making excellent plays, or him running around. Hopefully I’m wrong and I’m just missing what everyone else is seeing that’s making him a mortal lock at 2

It'd be a damn shame if Fields couldn't hit wide open receivers or him making plays running around as well.

(12-15-2020, 02:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 02:30 PM)Dimson Wrote: Wilson is my favorite QB in the draft. He is a special talent. He has the physical skills everyone looks for and he is a leader. He isn't a system QB and has played in one of the most NFL ready offenses at BYU. The kid is a no brainer at 2. We will probably draft Fields, but give me Wilson over erry body.

I wish he were taller and a little more hefty.

He is 6'3. He is plenty tall. He is still growing and he will put on weight.

He looks like the second pick in the draft
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(12-16-2020, 12:16 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: He looks like the second pick in the draft

I would be giddy if that happened. He has everything you look for, even if he is currently a bit light.

(12-15-2020, 11:23 PM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-15-2020, 02:57 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: I wish he were taller and a little more hefty.

He is 6'3. He is plenty tall. He is still growing and he will put on weight.

He doesn't look 6'3" out on the field.

He looked bad against Coastal Carolina, but he did have some drops.

This place is pretty much the only place where there's a ton of Fields hate. Fields has consistently improved over the course of his college career. I think if we hit on coaching staff, Fields has a chance to be better than Lawrence, who appears to be pretty much the same player he was as a freshman.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 10:49 AM by Kane.)

(12-16-2020, 10:30 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: He looked bad against Coastal Carolina, but he did have some drops.

This place is pretty much the only place where there's a ton of Fields hate.  Fields has consistently improved over the course of his college career.  I think if we hit on coaching staff, Fields has a chance to be better than Lawrence, who appears to be pretty much the same player he was as a freshman.

Preference =/= hate

Just sayin...

Some people just don't dig Fields game and/or have questions about his skill as it translates to the NFL.

If anything the Fields hype around here, which there is a lot of, reminds me a lot of the Teddy Bridgewater love. Which was so overblown he was passed over by 31 teams.
I don't think Fields gets passed over in that way... Just think when fans sink their teeth into a guy they "love" they won't let it go or change their mind. (Same could be said for the Wilson fans)

You say he could be better than Lawrence... but he could flame out. No one knows.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 12:07 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-16-2020, 09:22 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:16 AM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: He looks like the second pick in the draft

I would be giddy if that happened. He has everything you look for, even if he is currently a bit light.

I'd be so happy, I might pass out.

(12-16-2020, 10:30 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: He looked bad against Coastal Carolina, but he did have some drops.

This place is pretty much the only place where there's a ton of Fields hate.  Fields has consistently improved over the course of his college career.  I think if we hit on coaching staff, Fields has a chance to be better than Lawrence, who appears to be pretty much the same player he was as a freshman.

Stat wise, but he's still making the same one read and run decisions he has made from day 1. He has never changed. He gets away with it, because he's on an elite team where he only throws to wide open receivers. He'll get exposed in the NFL doing that and he could be out of the league in 5-6 years. 

You're insane saying Lawrence looks the same.

(12-16-2020, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 09:22 AM)Dimson Wrote: I would be giddy if that happened. He has everything you look for, even if he is currently a bit light.

I'd be so happy, I might pass out.

Stat wise, but he's still making the same one read and run decisions he has made from day 1. He has never changed. He gets away with it, because he's on an elite team where he only throws to wide open receivers. He'll get exposed in the NFL doing that and he could be out of the league in 5-6 years. 

You also have no clue (and neither do I) when it comes to what the OSU coaching staff is asking of Fields. 

Maybe he’s doing exactly what the coaching staff is asking.

(12-16-2020, 12:11 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(12-16-2020, 12:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'd be so happy, I might pass out.

You also have no clue (and neither do I) when it comes to what the OSU coaching staff is asking of Fields. 

Maybe he’s doing exactly what the coaching staff is asking.

I have never ever, ever heard of a coaching staff that tells a QB to only look to one option and if they aren't open, take off running. If they are doing that, they are doing a terrible dis-service to their QB's when it comes to NFL development. I can't imagine that happening at all.