Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cleveland to drop Indians nickname after 105 years

Lou Brown is rolling over in his [BLEEP] grave.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story?id=305156...-105-years

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Politics aside, Spiders and Rocks are both way better than Indians as names for a team from Cleveland.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

It never ends

Better pick up Major League on DVD before it is wiped out of cinema history.

(12-13-2020, 11:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: Politics aside, Spiders and Rocks are both way better than Indians as names for a team from Cleveland.

If they change their name to the Cleveland Rock Spiders, then I'm done with baseball.  Confused

Always surprised me that there's more upset over a name change than teams moving cities.

(12-14-2020, 12:39 AM)captivating Wrote:
(12-13-2020, 11:18 PM)mikesez Wrote: Politics aside, Spiders and Rocks are both way better than Indians as names for a team from Cleveland.

If they change their name to the Cleveland Rock Spiders, then I'm done with baseball.  Confused

All the little chicks with the crimson lips say,

Next up, the Braves, Chiefs, Warriors Seminoles......
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Polaris, which owns the Indian Motorcycles brand, must be getting nervous.

(12-14-2020, 08:34 AM)Sneakers Wrote: Next up, the Braves, Chiefs, Warriors Seminoles......

FSU has a close relationship with tribal leadership for permission and control of the name and likeness.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 08:42 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

I think we just got too used to Indians being a normal nickname whereas if you place other races into nicknames as shown below, I can see how they could all be offensive.

[Image: K5nJQVKQDbmf8c5kwiuEpG.png]

(12-14-2020, 08:42 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I think we just got too used to Indians being a normal nickname whereas if you place other races into nicknames as shown below, I can see how they could all be offensive.

[Image: K5nJQVKQDbmf8c5kwiuEpG.png]

Odd, I don't find any of those offensive because they're nothing but caricatures. But I guess we now let mentally soft people run the world. That's why you never hear any whining about the mascot of Notre Dame. And I don't care if they change the Indians name and logo, it doesn't matter to me what they're called.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We're looking at you Celtics and Vikings.

(12-14-2020, 08:54 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We're looking at you Celtics and Vikings.

Not to mention any teams named after endangered species.

(12-14-2020, 08:54 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: We're looking at you Celtics and Vikings.

Hoe DARE anyone laud such uncivilized groups as Pirates, Raiders, and Buccaneers! Why, they were very bad people and we should not be glorifying them!
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I find the Jaguars to be quite offensive these days. Maybe a name change is in store .... couldn't hurt.

(12-14-2020, 09:31 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I find the Jaguars to be quite offensive these days.  Maybe a name change is in store .... couldn't hurt.

We don't know if you are kidding at this point.

I'm curious as to how large the domino effect will be from this. I wasn't kidding about Indian Motorcycles. Now that two major sports teams have relented, there's definitely going to be a larger effort. Mainly by white liberals who feel an obligation to be offended for other people.

Over the years I've read several articles concerning the Indians name and it's a mixed bag. It seems there are as many, if not more, actual Indians who are indifferent of the name than those who are offended.

Do the FSU outreach tact. Offer scholarships, creative input and other benefits to Native American groups for approval to use the name. Either that or shoulder the expense of rebranding. That's what it's coming down to.

If people with Irish or Swedish ancestry say those names offend them, then we probably should.

(This post was last modified: 12-14-2020, 09:46 AM by homebiscuit.)

(12-14-2020, 09:35 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-14-2020, 09:31 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I find the Jaguars to be quite offensive these days.  Maybe a name change is in store .... couldn't hurt.

We don't know if you are kidding at this point.

Especially from someone who's board name mocks the deaths of millions of people and the widespread destruction of homes around the world by adopting the name of the phenomenon which causes it. 

Absolutely soulless.

(12-14-2020, 09:37 AM)mikesez Wrote:

If people with Irish or Swedish ancestry say those names offend them, then we probably should.

Is there a tipping point percentage we should observe? If only 5% of those with that ancestry are offended but the rest are indifferent or proud of the name, do we change it?