Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
If Jags truly liked both Fields and Wilson they could acquire some draft capital

Right now the draft order is

Jets
Jags
Bengals
Chargers

We could have our choice of Fields or Wilson.  The Bengals and Chargers both need a LT and probably covet Sewell.

If we truly would be happy with either guy, you ought to be able to move a spot or two and still get your guy. Lets say you approach Chargers and say give us some capital and you can jump Bengals and get Sewell. If they do it, Bengals could trade down and we lose one QB.  And then we take the other.  If they don't trade down we still get our #1 choice.

Or, we call Bengals and say the Chargers are bugging us to move up. But if you give us X, we can swap places, you guarantee you get Sewell. And we still get our #1 guy unless Bengals end up trading out. In which case we get our second choice.

But these only work on a foolproof basis if you are happy with either guy.  And you have a GM with some stones. I think the trade with Chargers would garner more.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There's no pussyfooting around a QB. Identify one, select one.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I like your thinking on this. Sewell is considered the top left tackle by a wide margin and the Chargers have a strong need at this position. If the draft order stays the same, the Jags should definitely give them a call to see what they'd be willing to give up in this trade. The draft value chart many use indicates that the difference between picks 2 and 4 would be a late 1st round pick. The Chargers wouldn't do this even if they had a 2nd 1st round pick. However, I do believe the Jaguars could get the Chargers 3rd round pick which would be somewhere around pick 68. If the new g.m. sees little or no difference between Fields and Wilson, he'd have nothing to lose by making this trade. The Jags would then have 6 picks in the top 68 with the opportunity to trade up at some point if there is a player they covet.

(12-16-2020, 02:00 AM)newporttom Wrote: Right now the draft order is

Jets
Jags
Bengals
Chargers

We could have our choice of Fields or Wilson.  The Bengals and Chargers both need a LT and probably covet Sewell.

If we truly would be happy with either guy, you ought to be able to move a spot or two and still get your guy. Lets say you approach Chargers and say give us some capital and you can jump Bengals and get Sewell. If they do it, Bengals could trade down and we lose one QB.  And then we take the other.  If they don't trade down we still get our #1 choice.

Or, we call Bengals and say the Chargers are bugging us to move up. But if you give us X, we can swap places, you guarantee you get Sewell. And we still get our #1 guy unless Bengals end up trading out. In which case we get our second choice.

But these only work on a foolproof basis if you are happy with either guy.  And you have a GM with some stones. I think the trade with Chargers would garner more.

I say we give the Bengals our first three picks and the Kismet full of money for Joe Burrow. Bad knee and all.

Jets
Jags
Bengals
Chargers

Or QB hungry team picking at 5 wants to move up we swap with them and let them pick one and we get the other. IF they are both rated the same by the GM that is.

I don't know that the difference between the top two LTs is significant enough for the Bolts to jump up.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 11:54 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

If Zach Wilson declares, I stay at #2 and take him. That is a given. He's a true franchise QB IMO. If he stays in school, as much as I want OT Penei Sewell in that situation, I'm thinking we should trade down and add capital for the 2022 draft. We could then build the O-Line and defense for a QB we take in the 2022 draft and look for a short term solution in the off season. I'm really thinking that Wilson and Mac Jones may stay in school. If that is the case and we can't get Trevor Lawrence, there is no QB I wanna draft, unless somehow Trask falls to round 2 and that is a long shot. I REALLY hope I'm wrong and Wilson declares for the draft, but I get the feeling he won't.

(12-16-2020, 07:38 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:

Jets
Jags
Bengals
Chargers

I say we give the Bengals our first three picks and the Kismet full of money for Joe Burrow. Bad knee and all.

I would easily take a one-legged Joe Burrow over Fields.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2020, 12:01 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-16-2020, 10:53 AM)Kane Wrote:

Jets
Jags
Bengals
Chargers

Or QB hungry team picking at 5 wants to move up we swap with them and let them pick one and we get the other. IF they are both rated the same by the GM that is.

I don't know that the difference between the top two LTs is significant enough for the Bolts to jump up.

It depends. If Christian Darrisaw declares for the draft. He is close to Sewell. There is a significant difference between the two, but Darrisaw is starting to narrow the gap. I think Penei Sewell could very well be the best player in the draft, but Darrisaw is starting to look like a top 10 player as well.

(12-16-2020, 03:54 AM)jaglou53 Wrote: I like your thinking on this. Sewell is considered the top left tackle by a wide margin and the Chargers have a strong need at this position. If the draft order stays the same, the Jags should definitely give them a call to see what they'd be willing to give up in this trade. The draft value chart many use indicates that the difference between picks 2 and 4 would be a late 1st round pick. The Chargers wouldn't do this even if they had a 2nd 1st round  pick. However, I do believe the Jaguars could get the Chargers 3rd round pick which would be somewhere around pick 68. If the new g.m. sees little or no difference between Fields and Wilson, he'd have nothing to lose by making this trade. The Jags would then have 6 picks in the top 68 with the opportunity to trade up at some point if there is a player they covet.

If this happens, we hired the wrong guy. Wilson is miles better than Fields.

And then another team trades up to 2 for Fields and someone else trades with the Bengals for Wilson and we're left with egg all over. 

Just take the QB at 2.

You can always structure the deal to prevent that. And 2 provisional first round picks if the pick is traded......