Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Change in Trade Dynamic?

(12-21-2020, 11:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Never did I think a blowout loss could be such a breath and a breath of fresh air, but that's exactly what happened today with our loss to the Ravens and the Jets win over the Rams, because with those events, the Jaguars are now slated to have the top overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Assuming this holds true, the question goes from what do we do with the 2nd overall pick, to what do we do with our second first round pick and other picks?

Do you...

1.  Stand pat with our pick in the mid 20s and just take the best players on the board for the remainder of the draft?

2.  Package some picks and try to trade up to get a player you covet but would not be available to you at that point in the draft?  If so, who would you target, and how much would you be willing to move to get that player?

3.  Would you move down from 26?  Is there a position of need for the Jaguars where the draft depth is sufficient in 2nd through 4th rounds?  How many starters do you think we could realistically get in this draft class?

I think the holes on this roster are too numerous to do much trading up, unless someone freefalls to the point where you'd be foolish not to make the jump and get them.

This may be the ideal draft just to sit back and grab the top guy on your board at every pick. April gonna be fun!

If we have the 25th pick, and Kyle Pitts falls to the late teens, I would think very seriously about trading up to get him.  He would be such a weapon for a guy like Trevor Lawrence.  

I have seen several mock drafts where Kyle Pitts falls to around the 18th pick.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-21-2020, 02:23 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I'm normally against doing this, but if we get Lawrence, I'd be inclined to move up with that other first rounder and select OT Christian Darrisaw of Virginia Tech. I know we'd have to give up a lot in order to move high enough to get him, but PFF gave him a blocking score that was exactly the same as they did Penei Sewell in 2019. It was the highest score they had given since 2014. If we get a true franchise QB, you better protect him. We don't wanna end up like the Bengals and Joe Burrow.

The problem will be Darrisaw going too high to get to. He is likely to rise to top 10 range and our Rams pick will be in the 20s. It would cost us a future 1st plus some mid round stuff to move up to get him probably.

(12-21-2020, 11:05 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think the holes on this roster are too numerous to do much trading up, unless someone freefalls to the point where you'd be foolish not to make the jump and get them.

This may be the ideal draft just to sit back and grab the top guy on your board at every pick. April gonna be fun!

If we have the 25th pick, and Kyle Pitts falls to the late teens, I would think very seriously about trading up to get him.  He would be such a weapon for a guy like Trevor Lawrence.  

I have seen several mock drafts where Kyle Pitts falls to around the 18th pick.
No one saw Lamb and Jeudy fall last year so it’s certainly possible.

(This post was last modified: 12-21-2020, 11:12 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-21-2020, 11:02 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(12-20-2020, 10:56 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Never did I think a blowout loss could be such a breath and a breath of fresh air, but that's exactly what happened today with our loss to the Ravens and the Jets win over the Rams, because with those events, the Jaguars are now slated to have the top overall pick in the 2021 draft.

Assuming this holds true, the question goes from what do we do with the 2nd overall pick, to what do we do with our second first round pick and other picks?

Do you...

1.  Stand pat with our pick in the mid 20s and just take the best players on the board for the remainder of the draft?

2.  Package some picks and try to trade up to get a player you covet but would not be available to you at that point in the draft?  If so, who would you target, and how much would you be willing to move to get that player?

3.  Would you move down from 26?  Is there a position of need for the Jaguars where the draft depth is sufficient in 2nd through 4th rounds?  How many starters do you think we could realistically get in this draft class?

I think the holes on this roster are too numerous to do much trading up, unless someone freefalls to the point where you'd be foolish not to make the jump and get them.

Keep in mind that even with Lawrence, this rebuild won't happen overnight. After drafting him, I'd be satisfied with a 6-10 record in 2021, as long as we show significant progression over this season that we could build on. I'm all for adding as many building blocks as we can around Lawrence on the offense, even if that means we don't get the upgrades we need on defense. That can be addressed in free agency and the 2022 draft. If we stay at #1, our entire draft plan should revolve around keeping Lawrence protected and giving him weapons i.e. a go to TE. Everything else is icing on the cake.

(12-21-2020, 11:10 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-21-2020, 11:02 AM)Mikey Wrote: I think the holes on this roster are too numerous to do much trading up, unless someone freefalls to the point where you'd be foolish not to make the jump and get them.

Keep in mind that even with Lawrence, this rebuild won't happen overnight. After drafting him, I'd be satisfied with a 6-10 record in 2021, as long as we show significant progression over this season that we could build on. I'm all for adding as many building blocks as we can around Lawrence on the offense, even if that means we don't get the upgrades we need on defense. That can be addressed in free agency and the 2022 draft. If we stay at #1, our entire draft plan should revolve around keeping Lawrence protected and giving him weapons i.e. a go to TE. Everything else is icing on the cake.

We are in complete lockstep agreement here.

Acquiring Lawrence is just one of many steps to make this a championship team.

We have to get the right GM who:

1.  Knows how to identify the right coach.  (as an aside, I have been thinking about Sean Peyton in this role for a couple of days now.)
2. Believes that Trevor Lawrence is the guy we should draft.
3.  Knows how to identify the talent to build around Lawrence that fits the offensive scheme the new coach employs.
4.  Knows that while Trevor Lawrence is an important piece of the puzzle, he isn't the only piece.
5.  Knows how to maneuver in the draft and be willing to do so, whether moving up, down, or standing pat.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!