Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Potential 2021 Free Agents

(This post was last modified: 02-18-2021, 05:17 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-18-2021, 05:10 PM)D6 Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 12:36 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He plays like the NFL game is too fast for him and he also just gets bulldozed. To be honest, I'm not very high on OSU O-Linemen after seeing so many fail. I also believe it was Michael Jordan, another OSU grad that allowed the hit on Burrow that got him hurt. Jordan has been God-awful.

Thankfully on this end, the two former OSU Offensive Lineman on the Lions, LT Taylor Decker and LG Jonah Jackson,  have performed much better than the two Bengals former OSU Offensive Lineman. Decker signed a contract extension last summer and went on to have a Pro Bowl caliber season. Jackson had his share of growing pains as a rookie in 2020 but he looks like a long term solution.   As many mistakes Bob Quinn made when he was the Lions GM, to his credit, Quinn did a very good job in drafting Offensive Lineman. 

With Joe Burrow coming off a major knee injury,  there's no question the Bengals need to prioritize protecting him far better. 

If they don't Bengal fans are gonna riot! When I see mock drafts where they have the Bengals passing on Sewell, I kinda laugh. If they did that, people around here would set the stadium on fire. Unlike the Eagles, who had a ton of injuries on the O-Line, but do have some talented players, the Bengals just flat out lack talent. Jonah Williams is the only decent player they have on the O-Line. Most of their other starters would be backups on other teams.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-18-2021, 05:16 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 05:10 PM)D6 Wrote: Thankfully on this end, the two former OSU Offensive Lineman on the Lions, LT Taylor Decker and LG Jonah Jackson,  have performed much better than the two Bengals former OSU Offensive Lineman. Decker signed a contract extension last summer and went on to have a Pro Bowl caliber season. Jackson had his share of growing pains as a rookie in 2020 but he looks like a long term solution.   As many mistakes Bob Quinn made when he was the Lions GM, to his credit, Quinn did a very good job in drafting Offensive Lineman. 

With Joe Burrow coming off a major knee injury,  there's no question the Bengals need to prioritize protecting him far better. 

If they don't Bengal fans are gonna riot! When I see mock drafts where they have the Bengals passing on Sewell, I kinda laugh. If they did that, people around here would set the stadium on fire. Unlike the Eagles, who had a ton of injuries on the O-Line, but do have some talented players, the Bengals just flat out lack talent. Jonah Williams is the only decent player they have on the O-Line. Most of their other starters would be backups on other teams.

It would be an understandable reaction ( figuratively speaking ) by Bengals fans.

As ultra important as Trevor Lawrence will be for the Jaguars franchise, the importance of Joe Burrow to the Bengals franchise is in the same ballpark. With Burrow already suffering a major knee injury,  passing on Penei Sewell would very likely turn out to be an enormous mistake. 

Kennan and Keel

I think JuJu, ARob or Samuel would be awesome pickups and all make sense to some extent. This would allow us to focus on other positions of need and load Lawrence with another weapon. Hell, we could even maybe land a Henry or Smith and fixate the TE starter position through FA aswell.

Draft comes, we can still select a developmental TE and strengthen our OL and most importantly anyone on Defense because.... let's face it, that D needs a influx of talent.

I really hope we go hard after this guy
https://www.nfl.com/news/hunter-henry-op...ree-agency

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 09:25 AM by ATLjag.)

(02-21-2021, 02:20 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I really hope we go hard after this guy
https://www.nfl.com/news/hunter-henry-op...ree-agency

With yesterday's report of the Jags not picking up the option on Eifert, the team will have to address the TE position for sure now.

According to ESPN, it's looking like some of our top FA targets might get franchised including Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye. That would suck. Smith and Henry are the only two TE's I was really interested in. I still don't wanna draft one with a high pick, because they take too long to develop.

(02-23-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: According to ESPN, it's looking like some of our top FA targets might get franchised including Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye. That would suck. Smith and Henry are the only two TE's I was really interested in. I still don't wanna draft one with a high pick, because they take too long to develop.

I dont think those are our top FA targets.  I think those will be LT and dline.  I hope hope we take a good look at Freiermuth in the 2nd

(02-23-2021, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: According to ESPN, it's looking like some of our top FA targets might get franchised including Jonnu Smith, Hunter Henry, Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye. That would suck. Smith and Henry are the only two TE's I was really interested in. I still don't wanna draft one with a high pick, because they take too long to develop.

I dont think those are our top FA targets.  I think those will be LT and dline.  I hope hope we take a good look at Freiermuth in the 2nd
That’s why he said “some of” our top FA targets.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 04:30 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-23-2021, 01:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 01:16 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I dont think those are our top FA targets.  I think those will be LT and dline.  I hope hope we take a good look at Freiermuth in the 2nd
That’s why he said “some of” our top FA targets.

Exactly. I like everyone on the board, have no clue what the teams real top targets are. Everything is just speculation based on who's available, what our needs are and what the draft class for that position looks like. If Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith do get tagged, I go all in on Trent Williams and Marcus Williams and I'd have to look for a TE in the draft and just pray they develop quickly.

(02-23-2021, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 01:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That’s why he said “some of” our top FA targets.

Exactly. I like everyone on the board, have no clue what the teams real top targets are. Everything is just speculation based on who's available, what our needs are and what the draft class for that position looks like. If Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith do get tagged, I go all in on Trent Williams and Marcus Williams and I'd have to look for a TE in the draft and just pray they develop quickly.

So what TE in the draft would you look for under those circumstances?

I am still big on Friermuth.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Allie-Cox would be a good mid-range signing.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 06:18 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-23-2021, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 01:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: That’s why he said “some of” our top FA targets.

What's this notion about TEs not developing quickly?  Most of the good and great TEs broke out in the 2nd year.  Hockenson just made the Pro Bowl in his 2nd year, Kelce had over 800 yards.  Hunter Henry had over 600 yards 5 TDs.  Freiermuth reminds me of a Heath Miller or a Todd Heap.  Heap had over 800 yards in his 2nd year and a PB while Miller had almost 5oo yards and 5 TD his rookie year.  All those guys were huge additions to there teams and many more other guys as well.  Year 2 is the sweet spot for the good TEs

(02-23-2021, 06:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly. I like everyone on the board, have no clue what the teams real top targets are. Everything is just speculation based on who's available, what our needs are and what the draft class for that position looks like. If Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith do get tagged, I go all in on Trent Williams and Marcus Williams and I'd have to look for a TE in the draft and just pray they develop quickly.

What's this notion about TEs not developing quickly?  Most of the good and great TEs broke out in the 2nd year.  Hockenson just made the Pro Bowl in his 2nd year, Kelce had over 800 yards.  Hunter Henry had over 600 yards 5 TDs.  Freiermuth reminds me of a Heath Miller or a Todd Heap.  Heap had over 800 yards in his 2nd year and a PB while Miller had almost 5oo yards and 5 TD his rookie year.  All those guys were huge additions to there teams and many more other guys as well.  Year 2 is the sweet spot for the good TEs
You can sign Jonnu and still draft Freirmuth. Giving Lawrence no viable TE this year would be a mistake.

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 06:56 PM by JagswinJagswin.)

Assuming that QB is the first pick of the draft, IMO the biggest needs for the Jags to fill in the off-season are 2 starters on the OL with 1 being a LT, DL, FS, CB, TE. How they come about, I don't care if it's draft, trade, or free agency. I don't think the Jags are going to be as fruitful as we hope in free agency with big named guys. While I would like to have players like Jonnu Smith, Marcus Maye, or Justin Simmons I don't feel any of those guys will hit free agency. Nor do I see a guy like Hunter Henry making it to be a FA.

I would love to have Trent Williams for a 3 year deal, it all depends on how high the bidding goes for his services. If they are addressing OL, like I pray they do, then they may have to look into other option like trading for one of the Saints OT. A post 6/1 trade of Armstead saves the Saints over 11.6m on the cap. Ramczyk only has 1 year left of his contract at 11m savings. Not sure how the Saints would be able to get enough off their cap to resign him next year. The Jags may be able to give up something like the 25, 65, and 154 to get one of them and resign if it's Ram. The Saints are going to have to work some magic to keep both of those guys. The Falcons are over the cap by like 12m, they may listen to an offer for LT Jake Matthews but I doubt it, he's been consistent and reliable. In the end my bet is the Jags tag or resign Cam, ugh, and hope he performs better with better coaching and I'd be ok with that i guess if he resigns for 10-12m a year, which isn't going to happen. My bet is they draft an OL or 2 during the draft and run with this average at best OL. If they do that my over/under odds on the QB getting hurt is under 8 games.

At CB, if they can resign Sidney Jones at a not breaking the bank deal I'd prolly be OK to roll with him and CJ as the starters. On the DL do we even see guys like Al Woods, Rodney Gunter, or Lerentee McCray back? If so, do they add anything? Do we try to resign Abry Jones? Does Bryan even make the team with a change in scheme? There are a lot of FA DL players that could make a difference for the Jags. Overall, assuming the guys I listed do not make it to FA, if the Jags walk out of FA with LT Trent Williams, DE Leonard Williams, FS Marcus Williams, and CB Sidney Jones plus a few lower tier guys like TE Tonyan or Everett I would be ecstatic. I don't see but maybe 1 of those guys wearing the Jags uni next year.

(02-23-2021, 06:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 06:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What's this notion about TEs not developing quickly?  Most of the good and great TEs broke out in the 2nd year.  Hockenson just made the Pro Bowl in his 2nd year, Kelce had over 800 yards.  Hunter Henry had over 600 yards 5 TDs.  Freiermuth reminds me of a Heath Miller or a Todd Heap.  Heap had over 800 yards in his 2nd year and a PB while Miller had almost 5oo yards and 5 TD his rookie year.  All those guys were huge additions to there teams and many more other guys as well.  Year 2 is the sweet spot for the good TEs
You can sign Jonnu and still draft Freirmuth. Giving Lawrence no viable TE this year would be a mistake.

I'd be good with signing Jared Cook and drafting Freiermuth

(This post was last modified: 02-23-2021, 07:31 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-23-2021, 04:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 04:29 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Exactly. I like everyone on the board, have no clue what the teams real top targets are. Everything is just speculation based on who's available, what our needs are and what the draft class for that position looks like. If Justin Simmons and Marcus Maye, Hunter Henry and Jonnu Smith do get tagged, I go all in on Trent Williams and Marcus Williams and I'd have to look for a TE in the draft and just pray they develop quickly.

So what TE in the draft would you look for under those circumstances?

Honestly, I don't know. I wouldn't specifically target any TE in any particular round. It would all depend on how the board fell and which players I had rated at the top of my board and who was available. I'm not one of those people who subscribes to the idea that we must find a breakout TE this season. We have a ton of needs on this team and ultimately some needs will get addressed and others won't. Rome wasn't built in a day and I know we are in a total re-build, so realistically we are probably looking at 2-3 years before we will be competitive. As long as we go into next season with a new QB, better O-Line protection on the edge for that QB and major improvements at a few defensive positions, I will be happy. If we cannot find a franchise TE this year, I look for one next season. You can win games with average TE play. Yes, great teams like Kansas City and Tampa Bay have excellent TE's, but guys like Kelce and Gronkowski are also future Hall of Famers. Those kinds of players are few and far between. If we could get someone who could give us key yards as a "safety net" player for the QB, I'll be satisfied with that. We'll just have to see how things play out.

(02-23-2021, 06:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 06:17 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: What's this notion about TEs not developing quickly?  Most of the good and great TEs broke out in the 2nd year.  Hockenson just made the Pro Bowl in his 2nd year, Kelce had over 800 yards.  Hunter Henry had over 600 yards 5 TDs.  Freiermuth reminds me of a Heath Miller or a Todd Heap.  Heap had over 800 yards in his 2nd year and a PB while Miller had almost 5oo yards and 5 TD his rookie year.  All those guys were huge additions to there teams and many more other guys as well.  Year 2 is the sweet spot for the good TEs

Again, it's looking like Jonnu Smith might get franchised, so he might not be an option.

(02-23-2021, 07:30 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-23-2021, 04:54 PM)Bullseye Wrote: So what TE in the draft would you look for under those circumstances?

Honestly, I don't know. I wouldn't specifically target any TE in any particular round. It would all depend on how the board fell and which players I had rated at the top of my board and who was available. I'm not one of those people who subscribes to the idea that we must find a breakout TE this season. We have a ton of needs on this team and ultimately some needs will get addressed and others won't. Rome wasn't built in a day and I know we are in a total re-build, so realistically we are probably looking at 2-3 years before we will be competitive. As long as we go into next season with a new QB, better O-Line protection on the edge for that QB and major improvements at a few defensive positions, I will be happy. If we cannot find a franchise TE this year, I look for one next season. You can win games with average TE play. Yes, great teams like Kansas City and Tampa Bay have excellent TE's, but guys like Kelce and Gronkowski are also future Hall of Famers. Those kinds of players are few and far between. If we could get someone who could give us key yards as a "safety net" player for the QB, I'll be satisfied with that. We'll just have to see how things play out.

I don't know how you are defining "breakout" TE.
First and foremost, I look for a TE that could provide that security blanket for a QB.  The guy who, when the chips are down, can reliably get open-especially over the middle, catch the ball, and move the chains.  People say that great QBs make the receiver.  While there is some truth to that, most great QBs have had weapons at TE that helped enable them to be great.  Brady has Gronk.  Brett Favre had Chmura and Jackson.  Aikman had Novacek.  Fouts had Winslow.  Stabler had Casper.  Beyond that, having a TE that can create match up problems for defenses can take the offense to another level.  Many of those guys I listed above created matchup problems for defenses, and their offenses were better for it.
If, as you observe, we are 2-3 years before we are competitive, then it wouldn't be devastating if a rookie TE we provided for TL wouldn't have a HUGE immediate impact.  As long as they "grow up" together in the scheme and both improve over time, I'm okay with it.  But I suspect Friermuth would have a pretty decent impact for TL this year as his security blanket, and has the ability to pose problems for some defenses.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!