Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

I'm very much against retreads, but I don't consider Payton a retread. This guy has maintained NFL success and has another playoff bound team despite being without his #1 receiver and starting QB for much of the year. I'd be thrilled to have Payton as a coach. I just don't want a coach with a recent history of being fired or someone like Bill Cowher who has been out of coaching altogether for 13 years.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There was actually an article I read, and I'm pretty sure I shared around here, from a few years ago that showed recently failed retreads do very well in their second stints. It's the retreads that try to return to coaching after a sizeable time out of the sport that fail again. In general, of course, it's not a hard rule.

(12-23-2020, 03:48 PM)Upper Wrote: There was actually an article I read, and I'm pretty sure I shared around here, from a few years ago that showed recently failed retreads do very well in their second stints. It's the retreads that try to return to coaching after a sizeable time out of the sport that fail again. In general, of course, it's not a hard rule.

Good info, thanks for sharing.

Tony Pauline linked us to the Cowden/Arthur Smith Titans GM/HC combo.

(12-24-2020, 01:02 AM)Upper Wrote: Tony Pauline linked us to the Cowden/Arthur Smith Titans GM/HC combo.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to that duo.

Bienemy and Daboll are my top two wants.

(12-24-2020, 01:39 AM)JaguarKick Wrote: Bienemy and Daboll are my top two wants.

Bienemy is my favorite for head coach. I remember playing as him on Techmo Bowl back in the day. LOL.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

Urban Meyer to the NFL is picking up steam. An ESPN and CBS article just dropped within minutes of each other and both link Urban to the Jags.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3060...n-coaching

Breer and Prisco have both stated they have heard the same thing. Earlier this week Joe Cowart reached out to someone close to Urban and made it sounds like it has legs.

Hope Khan confirms he wouldn’t pick Fields over Trevor lol.

(12-27-2020, 09:31 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Urban Meyer to the NFL is picking up steam. An ESPN and CBS article just dropped within minutes of each other and both link Urban to the Jags.

Breer and Prisco have both stated they have heard the same thing. Earlier this week Joe Cowart reached out to someone close to Urban and made it sounds like it has legs.

Well Urban has no relation to Fields and Urban also said Trevor is the best quarterback ever.... so there’s that lol

(12-27-2020, 09:31 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Urban Meyer to the NFL is picking up steam. An ESPN and CBS article just dropped within minutes of each other and both link Urban to the Jags.

Good Lord, I hope not. I am not a fan of Meyer's offensive scheme and he's not reliable. He has several health issues which contributed to him leaving the University of Florida and Ohio State. He also was criticized for his handling of a domestic violence issue regarding one of his assistant coaches. We can do much better than him.

Urban Meyer receiving NFL head coaching buzz, Lions and Jaguars could have serious interest for 2021

Former Ohio State and Florida coach Urban Meyer has received some overtures from NFL teams in recent years, and league sources said he could receive serious consideration from the Lions and Jaguars in 2021. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban...GGrHHZCi_8
You know trouble is right around the corner when your best friend tells you to hold his beer!!

No.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-27-2020, 11:35 AM)The Drifter Wrote: Urban Meyer receiving NFL head coaching buzz, Lions and Jaguars could have serious interest for 2021

Former Ohio State and Florida coach Urban Meyer has received some overtures from NFL teams in recent years, and league sources said he could receive serious consideration from the Lions and Jaguars in 2021. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/urban...GGrHHZCi_8

If we were stuck with Fields, I might consider it.

Otherwise?

No!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Gross. No. At the first sign of adversity he would have a "health scare".

Not to mention his #1 skill being recruiting is useless in the pros.

Good Lord, No! I am not a fan of Meyer's offensive scheme or the way he runs his teams and he's not reliable. He has several health issues which contributed to him leaving the University of Florida and Ohio State. He also was criticized for his handling of a domestic violence issue regarding one of his assistant coaches. Even if we did sign him, success or not, he probably wouldn't last 4 years and he'd retire again. I'd rather stick with guys who some NFL experience.

Definitely not interested in any college coaches that don't have extensive NFL coaching experience. The things that make a successful college coach are completely different than the things that make a successful NFL coach. Just because Carroll and Vermeil were successful doesn't mean others without their kind of experience will be.

https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/pro/2...0201227101

Seems to be a lot of smoke here. This article and CBS said he is going to make a decision this week.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 12:23 PM by StroudCrowd1.)

(12-27-2020, 12:19 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/pro/2...0201227101

Seems to be a lot of smoke here. This article and CBS said he is going to make a decision this week.

Make a decision on what? We have a HC and no GM. I assume we would let the new GM make that decision,  no? Then again  Shad and Tony still own this place...

Everyone, I am announcing my intentions to be the next Jaguars HC.

(12-27-2020, 12:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 12:19 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: https://www.toledoblade.com/sports/pro/2...0201227101

Make a decision on what? We have a HC and no GM. I assume we would let the new GM make that decision,  no? Then again  Shad and Tony still own this place...

Based on the Albert Breer report, it sounds like Khan would go with a “coach-centric” approach. Sounds like he would hire Urbs and then hire a GM to match him.

(12-27-2020, 12:28 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 12:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Make a decision on what? We have a HC and no GM. I assume we would let the new GM make that decision,  no? Then again  Shad and Tony still own this place...

Based on the Albert Breer report, it sounds like Khan would go with a “coach-centric” approach. Sounds like he would hire Urbs and then hire a GM to match him.

That is an awful idea.