Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

I can't think of a faster way to vanquish the hopes of fans for an organizational rebirth.

How can he control a professional team when he couldn't maintain discipline in a college locker room? He has health issues, one of which is stress induced migraines. Yeah, no worries about that in the NFL.

For the love of all that is holy, please let this be nothing more than empty column fodder.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Breer just tweeted the following:

“ So in reporting on Urban Meyer and Jacksonville 2 weeks ago, here's what I'd say ...

1) Thru his OSU and UF players, he's studied the NFL of late.

2) Jags would look for a strong program-builder in an HC. That's Meyer.

3) Meyer has explored staffing.

4) Health is a factor.”

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 12:36 PM by homebiscuit.)

(12-27-2020, 12:31 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Breer just tweeted the following:

“ So in reporting on Urban Meyer and Jacksonville 2 weeks ago, here's what I'd say ...

1) Thru his OSU and UF players, he's studied the NFL of late.

2) Jags would look for a strong program-builder in an HC. That's Meyer.

3) Meyer has explored staffing.

4) Health is a factor.”

Weak scattershot generalizations. Meyer should not use those on a resume.

(12-27-2020, 12:28 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 12:21 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Make a decision on what? We have a HC and no GM. I assume we would let the new GM make that decision,  no? Then again  Shad and Tony still own this place...

Everyone, I am announcing my intentions to be the next Jaguars HC.

Based on the Albert Breer report, it sounds like Khan would go with a “coach-centric” approach. Sounds like he would hire Urbs and then hire a GM to match him.

If he does something so asinine, my head is gonna explode. Khan knows nothing about football. Let the football people make the decisions.

(12-27-2020, 01:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 12:28 PM)HolsterHusto Wrote: Based on the Albert Breer report, it sounds like Khan would go with a “coach-centric” approach. Sounds like he would hire Urbs and then hire a GM to match him.

If he does something so asinine, my head is gonna explode. Khan knows nothing about football. Let the football people make the decisions.

Like the last 7 years?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Survey Says! NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 01:06 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-27-2020, 01:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 01:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: If he does something so asinine, my head is gonna explode. Khan knows nothing about football. Let the football people make the decisions.

Like the last 7 years?

Right. Where has that got us?

If Khan hires a coach first, that will severely limit the GM candidates, because they are gonna want to hire their own coaches. We might miss out on the top GM candidates, because Khan wants to do things the wrong way. Not to mention that Meyer's defenses don't really fit our personnel scheme.

(12-27-2020, 01:02 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 01:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Like the last 7 years?

Right. Where has that got us?

If Khan hires a coach first, that will severely limit the GM candidates, because they are gonna want to hire their own coaches. We might miss out on the top GM candidates, because Khan wants to do things the wrong way. Not to mention that Meyer's defenses don't really fit our personnel scheme.

So you think Khan should keep doing what he's been doing? Because maybe he needs to get involved instead of turning it to "football people" who suck.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Why? His main talent is managing the dark side of college programs. At Florida that even meant criminals, much like was done in Nebraska. He should go into politics instead.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

I'm glad we had this one week glimmer of hope...

(12-27-2020, 11:43 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Gross. No. At the first sign of adversity he would have a "health scare".

Not to mention his #1 skill being recruiting is useless in the pros.

But Meyer isn't a good recruiter.

He is better than the last few Jags coaches, but that isn't saying much.

His health issues weren't that bad, it was family issues and him not having a QB at UF that caused him to quit.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 03:48 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-27-2020, 02:52 PM)p_rushing Wrote: He is better than the last few Jags coaches, but that isn't saying much.

His health issues weren't that bad, it was family issues and him not having a QB at UF that caused him to quit.

Sent from my SM-T970 using Tapatalk

He was having crippling migraines and high blood pressure. He even said as much. His family wanted him to quit, due to the health conditions.

Whatever else you think about him, he has a history of building successful programs. Don't know how that will translate in the NFL but we could do worse.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-27-2020, 03:43 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Whatever else you think about him, he has a history of building successful programs. Don't know how that will translate in the NFL but we could do worse.

A history of building successfull programs?  No lol, they are already built when he gets there, he wins and leaves.  He won those championships with other coaches recruits not his.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 04:04 PM by p_rushing.)

(12-27-2020, 04:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 03:43 PM)hb1148 Wrote: Whatever else you think about him, he has a history of building successful programs. Don't know how that will translate in the NFL but we could do worse.

A history of building successfull programs?  No lol, they are already built when he gets there, he wins and leaves.  He won those championships with other coaches recruits not his.
I wouldn't say he doesn't build it, but he doesn't build it for long-term success. If he doesn't have a very specific QB, it falls apart.

Then he runs away and quits so he isn't blamed.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 04:10 PM by Upper.)

Could do worse is definitely the mindset we should have when we go into the offseason owning the #1 pick with a generational talent available, 11 total draft picks, and a ton of cap space and literally everyone is saying we are the top destination for a GM and HC.

Have some standards my dude.

(12-27-2020, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote:

Could do worse is definitely the mindset we should have when we go into the offseason owning the #1 pick with a generational talent available, 11 total draft picks, and a ton of cap space and literally everyone is saying we are the top destination for a GM and HC.

Exactly. The goal should be for Jacksonville to be another Green Bay or Pittsburgh in 10 years, somewhere the NFL can't possibly leave because it's won 2-3 Superbowls and it's now the kind of team people that don't care about football buy licensed stuff from.

We don't need to take a flyer on someone like Meyer.

(12-27-2020, 04:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A history of building successfull programs?  No lol, they are already built when he gets there, he wins and leaves.  He won those championships with other coaches recruits not his.

He was at Ohio State for 7 years. The last four years he went 12-1, 11-2, 12-2, 10-1 and was 3-1 in bowl games. Are you really trying to say that he was playing with someone else's players then? He was at Florida for 6 years, the last 3 he went 13-1, 13-1 before having his worst season where he still won 8 games and went 7-1 in bowl games. Are you saying that was someone else's team? Need to bring a better argument dude.

(12-27-2020, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: Could do worse is definitely the mindset we should have when we go into the offseason owning the #1 pick with a generational talent available, 11 total draft picks, and a ton of cap space and literally everyone is saying we are the top destination for a GM and HC.

(12-27-2020, 04:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Exactly. The goal should be for Jacksonville to be another Green Bay or Pittsburgh in 10 years, somewhere the NFL can't possibly leave because it's won 2-3 Superbowls and it's now the kind of team people that don't care about football buy licensed stuff from.

Guy has a .854 lifetime coaching record. Are you really saying we should aspire higher? Ok, sure but it's going to be really hard to find that guy.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 04:39 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-27-2020, 04:31 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 04:01 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: A history of building successfull programs?  No lol, they are already built when he gets there, he wins and leaves.  He won those championships with other coaches recruits not his.

He was at Ohio State for 7 years. The last four years he went 12-1, 11-2, 12-2, 10-1 and was 3-1 in bowl games. Are you really trying to say that he was playing with someone else's players then? He was at Florida for 6 years, the last 3 he went 13-1, 13-1 before having his worst season where he still won 8 games and went 7-1 in bowl games. Are you saying that was someone else's team? Need to bring a better argument dude.

(12-27-2020, 04:07 PM)Upper Wrote: Could do worse is definitely the mindset we should have when we go into the offseason owning the #1 pick with a generational talent available, 11 total draft picks, and a ton of cap space and literally everyone is saying we are the top destination for a GM and HC.

(12-27-2020, 04:13 PM)SeldomRite Wrote: Exactly. The goal should be for Jacksonville to be another Green Bay or Pittsburgh in 10 years, somewhere the NFL can't possibly leave because it's won 2-3 Superbowls and it's now the kind of team people that don't care about football buy licensed stuff from.

Guy has a .854 lifetime coaching record. Are you really saying we should aspire higher? Ok, sure but it's going to be really hard to find that guy.

That's college. Way different than the pros. In the NFL, it's a totally different animal. You will be dealing with hard headed adults and giant egos. For a coach with high blood pressure, migraines and other health issues, coming to the NFL is not a good idea.