Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

My sources just told me that the Jags are going to make a HC and GM announcement before the start of the new league year.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 02:16 PM by mikesez.)

Until today, I hope the Trevor would not pull any Eli Manning or a John elway.
But today I hope he goes out there, and says that he always wanted to play in the nfl, and he always assumed he would be playing for a real NFL coach, and he wants to clarify that he would rather be traded than play for a team whose coach has no NFL experience.
I hope he refuses to play for meyer, and I hope that that is enough to get shad off of this train...
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

(01-13-2021, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: Until today, I hope the Trevor would not pull any Eli Manning or a John elway.
But today I hope he goes out there, and says that he always wanted to play in the nfl, and he always assumed he would be playing for a real NFL coach, and he wants to clarify that he would rather be traded than play for a team whose coach has no NFL experience.
I hope he refuses to play for meijer, and I hope that that is enough to get shad off of this train...

Go flush yourself
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(01-13-2021, 12:29 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 12:22 PM)D6 Wrote: One concern in particular about Urban Meyer as an NFL HC, relates to his health.  With the longer hours for most NFL coaching staffs, compared to college coaching staffs, will Meyer be able to handle the cumulative work load?

Yeah that is a legit concern, especially considering his past and tendency to be high strung.

If the reports are accurate that Urban Meyer likely will become Jaguars HC,  one of the issues that I think Shad Khan should have made a point of emphasis ( I have no idea whether it was ) is how Meyer plans on keeping his emotions under control?  And what the options are to help him accomplish this? 

The HC decision is too important for the Jaguars to ignore uncomfortable issues. That much more with Trevor Lawrence on the verge of being the most important player in franchise history.

(01-13-2021, 11:50 AM)Jag88 Wrote: A lot of hate for urban here. Smh. Lets keep a positive attitude. Hope for the best  regardless of who is chosen

I think at this point a lot of us can at least deal with a Meyer hire and hope for the best. It's the Baalke side of things now that's just awful.

(01-13-2021, 11:26 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 10:59 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Well, turn it around.  If Meyer can win national championships with the crappy QBs he's had, why can't he win with a really good one like Trevor Lawrence?

Because this isn't college football. It's a lot easier to win a conference or even the national title when you're coaching at an elite football program where you basically have your pick of recruits, than it is to win in the NFL. The NFL is full of college stars and they go wherever the money is. Meyer won on the college level, because he had elite players who wanted to go to OSU and Florida in order to get national exposure and improve their chances of getting drafted highly. 
No, just no.

(01-13-2021, 01:08 PM)mikesez Wrote: Until today, I hope the Trevor would not pull any Eli Manning or a John elway.
I hope he refuses to play for meijer, and I hope that that is enough to get shad off of this train...

I won't go that far.

If we make a mistake with a coach, there's no need to magnify that by chasing away a potential franchise QB.

A competent coach is easier to find than a potential franchise QB.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(01-13-2021, 01:21 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 11:50 AM)Jag88 Wrote: A lot of hate for urban here. Smh. Lets keep a positive attitude. Hope for the best  regardless of who is chosen

I think at this point a lot of us can at least deal with a Meyer hire and hope for the best. It's the Baalke side of things now that's just awful.

Nope.  Do not want Urban in any capacity.

(01-13-2021, 12:22 PM)D6 Wrote: One concern in particular about Urban Meyer as an NFL HC, relates to his health.  With the longer hours for most NFL coaching staffs, compared to college coaching staffs, will Meyer be able to handle the cumulative work load?

He won't have to recruit so that will really reduce his stress levels.

Chargers Interested in Meyer

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 02:02 PM by Sibelius.)

(01-13-2021, 01:57 PM)JAGFAN88 Wrote: Chargers Interested in Meyer

Awright Chargers! Save us from ourselves!

(01-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:

He won't have to recruit so that will really reduce his stress levels.

He'll still be dealing with potential free agents though. And how will he handle coaching adults over college kids?
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2021, 02:21 PM by Tank Commander.)

Interesting:

Smith's father is FedEx founder Frederick W. Smith. He and his wife, Allison, reside in Nashville, Tennessee with their three children, Tanner, Sophie, and William.[8][9] He has eight siblings.

That would be interesting since Weaver tried to sell the team to Fred Smith.

I hope he refuses to play for meyer, and I hope that that is enough to get shad off of this train...
Did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

(01-13-2021, 01:33 PM)Bullseye Wrote:

I won't go that far.

If we make a mistake with a coach, there's no need to magnify that by chasing away a potential franchise QB.

A competent coach is easier to find than a potential franchise QB.

You can announce that you've hired a coach, and then fire him a week later.
You can't do the same thing with the number one draft pick.
I'd like to see Trevor put us on notice, so that the clowns doing our coaching search have fair warning.
My fellow southpaw Mark Brunell will probably always be my favorite Jaguar.

The only job more attractive at the moment. You get a guaranteed stud young QB/DE combo in Herbert/Bosa. Herb is the real deal. Chargers also have plenty of pieces on the team, they can contend very quickly.

(01-13-2021, 02:00 PM)Sibelius Wrote:

Awright Chargers! Save us from ourselves!

(01-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Tank Commander Wrote: He won't have to recruit so that will really reduce his stress levels.

He'll still be dealing with potential free agents though. And how will he handle coaching adults over college kids?

I'm not discounting the challenging aspects of dealing with NFL Free Agents.  Yet, when compared to College Recruiting of 17 and 18 year old teenagers, it appears that College Recruiting is more taxing.  Two reasons immediately come to mind:

1. With College Recruiting,  you usually have to convince multiple family members as well as the prospect.

2.  With NFL Free Agency,  UFAs from other teams in much more a normal year than 2020, come to the team facility. With college recruiting, the travel involved is substantial. 

Having expressed all of this, I believe the overall job of an NFL Head Coach is noticeably more taxing than a College Football HC.  

(01-13-2021, 02:24 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 02:00 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Awright Chargers! Save us from ourselves!

I'm not discounting the challenging aspects of dealing with NFL Free Agents.  Yet, when compared to College Recruiting of 17 and 18 year old teenagers, it appears that College Recruiting is more taxing.  Two reasons immediately come to mind:

1. With College Recruiting,  you usually have to convince multiple family members as well as the prospect.

2.  With NFL Free Agency,  UFAs from other teams in much more a normal year than 2020, come to the team facility. With college recruiting, the travel involved is substantial. 

Having expressed all of this, I believe the overall job of an NFL Head Coach is noticeably more taxing than a College Football HC.  

Plus there's a lot of cheating in College recruiting.

I'm not sure that Urban was comfortable with that aspect and I think that stress contributed alot to his health problems.

(01-13-2021, 02:24 PM)The_Franchise_QB Wrote:

The only job more attractive at the moment. You get a guaranteed stud young QB/DE combo in Herbert/Bosa. Herb is the real deal. Chargers also have plenty of pieces on the team, they can contend very quickly.

On the downside, the Chargers HC would be working for the Spanos family. This to me is why I rank the Chargers as amongst the worst NFL HC jobs.