Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(12-27-2020, 06:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 06:04 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Please, god no. The history of college coaches in NFL is not pretty

It's on and off. Tom Coughlin did pretty well in his early days. Jimmy Johnson did ok. Pete Carroll. There are others. I'm not arguing for Meyer but I'd rather have him over some crappy retread.

TC had plenty of experience under Parcells. What's Meyer's NFL experience? That's the problem, he's never coached in the NFL at all from what I can find.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-27-2020, 06:04 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Please, god no. The history of college coaches in NFL is not pretty

It's on and off. Tom Coughlin did pretty well in his early days. Jimmy Johnson did ok. Pete Carroll. There are others. I'm not arguing for Meyer but I'd rather have him over some crappy retread.

In the past 25 years, most successful (SB winning) coaching tenures had a failed first attempt. Not usually a horrible stint, but one that fell apart or fell short of expectations. (Belicheck, Reid, Carroll, Kubiak, Coughlin, Dungy, Gruden).

And the ones that did not had a good deal of NFL experience, with Payton, Tomlin, Harbaugh, McCarthy, Pederson.

(12-27-2020, 06:11 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 06:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote: It's on and off. Tom Coughlin did pretty well in his early days. Jimmy Johnson did ok. Pete Carroll. There are others. I'm not arguing for Meyer but I'd rather have him over some crappy retread.

Yeah but TC and JJ were over 25 years ago. Carroll has done well, but he was an NFL HC before his college sabbatical.

None of the recent college coaching jumps have fared well. Ruling is still to be decided for Carolina and Matt Rhule, but it will be tough for them until they get a QB.

Jim Harbaugh too. Anyway, I'm in favor of identifying the GM first and letting him pick the HC.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Yes. He would be a great choice. He wins and hires the right coaches. He holds people accountable. A winning coach. But i doubt thats the hire.

(12-27-2020, 06:19 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Yes. He would be a great choice. He wins and hires the right coaches. He holds people accountable. A winning coach. But i doubt thats the hire.

Listen to some of you gator homers. 

For once in a very long while the future of the Jags looks bright and now we're talking about Urban Meyer? Really, Urban Meyer??? 

Jesus Christ, get that stink away from here. I swear, some of you people could [BLEEP] up a wet dream.

It was the way it was done back in the day, yes. Switzer, Walsh, Brown, and more too. However, none of them are recent. The most recent successful one is Carroll who was 11 years ago and is the oldest HC in the NFL.

The history of guys who have done it this millennium is like 2 people.

(12-27-2020, 04:41 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 04:31 PM)hb1148 Wrote: He was at Ohio State for 7 years. The last four years he went 12-1, 11-2, 12-2, 10-1 and was 3-1 in bowl games. Are you really trying to say that he was playing with someone else's players then? He was at Florida for 6 years, the last 3 he went 13-1, 13-1 before having his worst season where he still won 8 games and went 7-1 in bowl games. Are you saying that was someone else's team? Need to bring a better argument dude.

Guy has a .854 lifetime coaching record. Are you really saying we should aspire higher? Ok, sure but it's going to be really hard to find that guy.

Why would we care about his college record?

ah ye cuz coach moron's record in the nfl showed a whole lot more.

can't believe you idiots don't want this guy, a win at all costs dude. If this was 2001 and steve spurrier was available at the end of coughlin's era you'd dude's would be going insane. He's better than spurrier, with a better record and more national championships. Might be more scummy but who cares, nfl and college are both crooked leagues.

can't believe what im reading here, what NFL retread do you instead suggest then?

Urban Myers

Bowling Green - 2 years left to Utah
Utah - 2 years left to Florida
Florida 5 years Florida almost recruits itself.
left before poop hit fan. see article
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-foo...-will-musc
Ohio State - 7 years another school that almost recruits itself
left after

On August 1, 2018, Meyer was placed on paid administrative leave by Ohio State, after reports surfaced that Meyer knew about spousal abuse allegations against assistant coach Zach Smith prior to Smith's firing the week prior.[73]
After an independent investigative panel reviewed the evidence, the Ohio State Board of Trustees found that Meyer and Ohio State University Athletic Director Gene Smith did not uphold the values of the university. On August 22, the board voted to suspend Meyer for the opening three games of the season for the Buckeyes. He missed the team's games against Oregon State, Rutgers, and TCU.

His biggest talent is managing the dark side of college football well, but can't for too long and has to move on. This even as he rails against this same stuff while in the booth.So in the short term maybe a good hire who knows, but you really want the short term?
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 08:12 PM by homebiscuit.)

Listening to 1010XL call in show while driving to the store. A caller asked two questions, the second question being about bringing in Meyer to develop Lawrence. The mere suggestion of bringing Meyer in is so eye-rollingly stupid that they didn't even address that question. Completely ignored it because it's so STUPID.

(12-27-2020, 07:13 PM)paksat Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 04:41 PM)SeldomRite Wrote:  Why would we care about his college record?

ah ye cuz coach moron's record in the nfl showed a whole lot more.

can't believe you idiots don't want this guy, a win at all costs dude. If this was 2001 and steve spurrier was available at the end of coughlin's era you'd dude's would be going insane. He's better than spurrier, with a better record and more national championships. Might be more scummy but who cares, nfl and college are both crooked leagues.

can't believe what im reading here, what NFL retread do you instead suggest then?

Let me guess, you would also like to see Tim Tebow brought in as Offensive Coordinator. Am I right?

I think we should go after the coach with perhaps the best college resume of all time in Nick Saban and see what he can do in the NFL.

Oh wait....

Bologna Marrone to Oscar Mayer Weiner.

Can we stay away from processed meat coaches.

(12-27-2020, 08:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Listening to 1010XL call in show while driving to the store. A caller asked two questions, the second question being about bringing in Meyer to develop Lawrence. The mere suggestion of bringing Meyer in is so eye-rollingly stupid that they didn't even address that question. Completely ignored it because it's so STUPID.

(12-27-2020, 07:13 PM)paksat Wrote: ah ye cuz coach moron's record in the nfl showed a whole lot more.

Let me guess, you would also like to see Tim Tebow brought in as Offensive Coordinator. Am I right?

maybe we should hire another nfl retread like marrone? or how about a defensive coordinator like we had before him! they're both nfl guys!

(12-27-2020, 09:29 PM)paksat Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 08:10 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Listening to 1010XL call in show while driving to the store. A caller asked two questions, the second question being about bringing in Meyer to develop Lawrence. The mere suggestion of bringing Meyer in is so eye-rollingly stupid that they didn't even address that question. Completely ignored it because it's so STUPID.

maybe we should hire another nfl retread like marrone? or how about a defensive coordinator like we had before him! they're both nfl guys!

Bringing a college coach straight into pro HC job with no previous NFL experience is reckless and stupid.

Urban meyer gets anxiety attacks, breaksdown under pressure then quits. Pass.

No Thanks

(12-27-2020, 09:24 PM)Predator Wrote: I think we should go after the coach with perhaps the best college resume of all time in Nick Saban and see what he can do in the NFL.

Oh wait....

Yeah, I was going to bring him up. Recruiting is easy. Draft is hard. Hence Saban's retreat to college ball.

Please no.

We have no idea who our new head coach will be. Its exciting times

Both Coughlin and Carroll had previously coached in the NFL.  Carroll had been head coach of two different NFL teams.  He could be considered a "retread".  Now, it's true that Jimmy Johnson had no NFL experience, but you're going back 30 years there.