Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars coaching candidates? (merged coaching threads)

(12-28-2020, 01:18 AM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...90624?s=19

I call bull [BLEEP].

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

As do I. Jags are interviewing GMs. Are they telling these GMs that they have to hire a re-tread or a former college HC? That would be a good way eliminate strong GM candidates. I always suspect Frennete is the least plugged in of local reporters.

(12-23-2020, 01:57 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 01:51 PM)Newton Wrote: I would take Peyton in a heart beat

Me too.  Tomlin wouldn't be far behind in my eyes.

Tomlin has actually been to more Super Bowls than Peyton.  He's never had a losing season.

I think he doesn't get enough credit for his flexibility.

He was a Dungy disciple, coming up through Minnesota and Tampa-tow 4-3 based defenses.

But he was willing to eschew his own personal defensive philosophy to stick with what works in the Steelers' defensive scheme.  Many coaches would not have done so.  Their egos would not permit it.
I admit I used to thing Tonkin wasn’t that good and was just handed a loaded team. But he has reinvented the Steelers over and over, and getting as much out of Antonio Brown as he did is crazy impressive. I always thought he was too much of a players coach with Brown, but now with hindsight I have to say he was a belichek like manager of a player who proved too troublesome for multiple franchises.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

(12-27-2020, 09:28 PM)captivating Wrote: Bologna Marrone to Oscar Mayer Weiner.

Can we stay away from processed meat coaches.

or any food coaches, before that it was Ice Cream GUS!
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(12-28-2020, 01:42 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 01:18 AM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/GeneFrenette/status/...90624?s=19

I call bull [BLEEP].

This is where most successful coaches come from for God's sake! Besides, we don't even have a GM hired yet. Who knows what kind of coach they will want to hire.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 06:48 AM by The Real Marty.)

(12-23-2020, 03:48 PM)Upper Wrote: There was actually an article I read, and I'm pretty sure I shared around here, from a few years ago that showed recently failed retreads do very well in their second stints. It's the retreads that try to return to coaching after a sizeable time out of the sport that fail again. In general, of course, it's not a hard rule.

Dick Vermiel was out of football for 15 years, and then came back and won the Super Bowl with the Rams.  For those of you too young to remember, he was the very successful head coach of the Eagles, then he spent 15 years doing college football color commentary for ABC, then he became coach of the Rams and won the Super Bowl with Kurt Warner.  

I see a retread as a safe, conservative choice.  The retread has head coaching experience.  He may have not had success, but it may have been because he never had the right QB, or the right overall talent on the team.  Bill Belichick, Andy Reid, both retreads.  Tony Dungy.  Pete Carroll did the total flame-out with (I think) the Jets, but later came back as coach of the Seahawks.  

A candidate without head coaching experience is more of a high ceiling, low floor kind of choice.  You might get a superstar, or you might get a total dud.   First timers I can think of off the top of my head:   Josh McDaniels failed.  Adam Gase is failing.  Gus Bradley failed.  On the other hand, Mike Tomlin.  Tom Landry.  Vince Lombardi.  Jimmy Johnson.  All first timers.  Mike Vrabel. 

The right candidate is a natural leader with a good personality, steadiness, organizational skills, extremely strong work ethic, and very high football IQ.  I don't think you can say, no retreads or no first timers.  Personally, I would hire the GM first, and then work with the GM to select a HC that meshes with the GM.  The success of a HC is so dependent on having a good GM to supply him with talent.

(12-27-2020, 06:08 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 06:04 PM)SamusAranX Wrote: Please, god no. The history of college coaches in NFL is not pretty

It's on and off. Tom Coughlin did pretty well in his early days. Jimmy Johnson did ok. Pete Carroll. There are others. I'm not arguing for Meyer but I'd rather have him over some crappy retread.

Bill Belichick and Andy Reid are both retreads with their second head coaching job.  

On the other hand, if you're only talking about crappy retreads, I agree.

(This post was last modified: 12-28-2020, 10:25 AM by Mikey.)

(12-27-2020, 06:19 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Yes. He would be a great choice. He wins and hires the right coaches. He holds people accountable. A winning coach. But i doubt thats the hire.

I suggest you hit up the googles for Zack Smith Urban Meyer.

The dude employed the sentient fecal matter known as Greg Schiano.

Hard pass.

(12-27-2020, 09:36 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 09:29 PM)paksat Wrote: maybe we should hire another nfl retread like marrone? or how about a defensive coordinator like we had before him! they're both nfl guys!

Bringing a college coach straight into pro HC job with no previous NFL experience is reckless and stupid.

If it's an up-and-comer like Matt Rhule, it's a little more justifiable. Someone who spent their entire career in the NCAA and on the downhill portion of their career? I'll keep looking.

Remember what Saban did in Miami? I can't rule the same possibility out with Urbz, although he'd probably just head home instead of pursue another job on a sideline

(12-27-2020, 10:56 PM)Jagsfan32277 Wrote: Urban meyer gets anxiety attacks, breaksdown under pressure then quits.  Pass.

man, I am the same way, but make a whole heap less doing it. Stupid mikey.

Urban Meyer would want to draft Fields over Lawrence

(12-28-2020, 02:00 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Urban Meyer would want to draft Fields over Lawrence

And create uncomfortable moments during pressers by absent-mindedly calling him Timmy.

(12-28-2020, 02:00 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: Urban Meyer would want to draft Fields over Lawrence

Meyer did say Trevor Lawrence is the best college QB he's ever seen

(12-28-2020, 06:26 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(12-23-2020, 03:48 PM)Upper Wrote: There was actually an article I read, and I'm pretty sure I shared around here, from a few years ago that showed recently failed retreads do very well in their second stints. It's the retreads that try to return to coaching after a sizeable time out of the sport that fail again. In general, of course, it's not a hard rule.

Dick Vermiel was out of football for 15 years, and then came back and won the Super Bowl with the Rams. 

He was the one example of that succeeding.

Urban would accept the job, convince everyone to draft Fields, then once he realizes his mistake get an ailment and leave. He then would accept the HC job at Texas..I can't believe anyone is seriously considering this guy. Well maybe a fool...
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(12-27-2020, 06:27 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 06:19 PM)Jag88 Wrote: Yes. He would be a great choice. He wins and hires the right coaches. He holds people accountable. A winning coach. But i doubt thats the hire.

Listen to some of you gator homers. 

For once in a very long while the future of the Jags looks bright and now we're talking about Urban Meyer? Really, Urban Meyer??? 

Jesus Christ, get that stink away from here. I swear, some of you people could [BLEEP] up a wet dream.

I was under the impression that most Gator homers hated Meyer.  Speaking for myself, I do not.  I do hate the idea of him coaching our Jags though.

JDR back in the Ville!

(12-28-2020, 03:37 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1343...27488?s=20

A good 3-4 defensive coach and Clemsons OC doesn't sound that bad honestly.

(12-28-2020, 03:16 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Urban would accept the job, convince everyone to draft Fields, then once he realizes his mistake get an ailment and leave. He then would accept the HC job at Texas..I can't believe anyone is seriously considering this guy.  Well maybe a fool...

Lotta bitter Gator fans in this forum, lol. It's been a long time bro. Time to move on.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(12-28-2020, 03:47 PM)hb1148 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:16 PM)Jag149 Wrote: Urban would accept the job, convince everyone to draft Fields, then once he realizes his mistake get an ailment and leave. He then would accept the HC job at Texas..I can't believe anyone is seriously considering this guy.  Well maybe a fool...

Lotta bitter Gator fans in this forum, lol. It's been a long time bro. Time to move on.

Not a Gator fan bro...just not a fan of Urban and don't want us to be another one of his stops. (Auburn Grad)
A new broom always sweeps clean.