Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hypothetical

Assuming we hold on to the #1 draft pick and Trevor Lawrence is ours.

Assuming also we sign at least one top tier OL in free agency (Trent Willliams, Brandon Scherff), how many OL, if any, do you draft with our other picks in this draft?

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(12-26-2020, 08:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Assuming we hold on to the #1 draft pick and Trevor Lawrence is ours.

Assuming also we sign at least one top tier OL in free agency (Trent Willliams, Brandon Scherff), how many OL, if any, do you draft with our other picks in this draft?
2-3. Not sold on Taylor, Robinson, Bartch or even Norwell and Linder. 

If there’s a top tier OLine at our 2nd 1st rounder or either of our 2nd rounders, I’m taking them. 

Signing a TE in FA. Drafting some more WRs. I’m going all offense to help ensure that Lawerence has weapons and stays upright.

(This post was last modified: 12-26-2020, 09:28 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(12-26-2020, 08:40 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Assuming we hold on to the #1 draft pick and Trevor Lawrence is ours.

If we sign Trent Williams, I draft another OT early on to compete for the RT spot and I draft a OG/OT in the later rounds as well to compete for the RG position. 

If we sign Scherff, I draft two OT's. A starting LT with the second pick in round 1 and another somewhere around the 4th or 5th round to compete for the RT position.

Depends who's available of course, but I expect O-line with the 2nd first.  Defense with both seconds, third and maybe fourth rounders.  Back for O-line again with the 4th or 5th.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

There is no limit. I am signing Trent Williams if at all possible and still taking OL with our next 3 if good ones are there. Something like Trent Williams, Leatherwood/Vera-Tucker/Eichenberg, Mayfield, and Dickerson/Brown is possible.

(12-26-2020, 10:45 PM)Upper Wrote: There is no limit. I am signing Trent Williams if at all possible and still taking OL with our next 3 if good ones are there. Something like Trent Williams, Leatherwood/Vera-Tucker/Eichenberg, Mayfield, and Dickerson/Brown is possible.

I'd rather just trade up and get that TE from Florida.  The guys you listed are just guys outside Trent Williams.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 07:45 AM by The Real Marty.)

I would draft at least one offensive lineman every year no matter what.  Having young developing offensive linemen is that important.  

But for this year, I would also say, good receivers can be just as beneficial to pass protection as offensive linemen are.  Young QBs have a tendency to hold the ball too long when they can't find an open receiver.  Especially rookie QBs who are used to the college version of "open," which is open by 2 yards or more, vs the NFL version of "open," which is open by a foot.  Young QBs need WRs and TEs who can give him obvious targets and get the ball out of his hands.  

We've all seen young QBs get sacked even though they have good pass protection, and we've all seen veteran QBs who are hard to sack because they get the ball out quickly.

So if we sign a top quality offensive lineman in free agency, then with our next few picks in the first and second round, I would look for weapons as well as offensive linemen.  Because it takes all 11 guys to make an effective offense, and all the pass protection in the world won't do any good if the QB doesn't get rid of the ball.

Imagine if we'd taken any of the guys taken after Henderson between Wills and Lamb, and one of Raegor, Jefferson, or Ruiz at 20.

Instead we got a typical Gata and a Tweener. Though we'd be better off we probably wouldn't have just a single win and thus hurt this year's pick.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(12-27-2020, 10:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Imagine if we'd taken any of the guys taken after Henderson between Wills and Lamb, and one of Raegor, Jefferson, or Ruiz at 20.

Instead we got a typical Gata and a Tweener. Though we'd be better off we probably wouldn't have just a single win and thus hurt this year's pick.

That's what is so frustrating. 90% of this board wanted Khan to fire Caldwell and Marrone last season. Instead, he kept them and we essentially wasted that draft. We knew Caldwell was making bad picks, but there was nothing we could do.

(12-27-2020, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 10:47 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Imagine if we'd taken any of the guys taken after Henderson between Wills and Lamb, and one of Raegor, Jefferson, or Ruiz at 20.

That's what is so frustrating. 90% of this board wanted Khan to fire Caldwell and Marrone last season. Instead, he kept them and we essentially wasted that draft. We knew Caldwell was making bad picks, but there was nothing we could do.

In the end, it might be the best thing Khan has ever done.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(12-27-2020, 11:07 AM)Dimson Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 10:56 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That's what is so frustrating. 90% of this board wanted Khan to fire Caldwell and Marrone last season. Instead, he kept them and we essentially wasted that draft. We knew Caldwell was making bad picks, but there was nothing we could do.

In the end, it might be the best thing Khan has ever done.

True.

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2020, 11:57 AM by Bullseye.)

(12-26-2020, 09:22 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:

2-3. Not sold on Taylor, Robinson, Bartch or even Norwell and Linder. 

If there’s a top tier OLine at our 2nd 1st rounder or either of our 2nd rounders, I’m taking them. 

Signing a TE in FA. Drafting some more WRs. I’m going all offense to help ensure that Lawerence has weapons and stays upright.

I might take 2-3 but I would want to keep Linder and Norwell.

If it were up to me, I would have a starting OL of:

LT-T. Williams, LG Norwell, C Linder, RG Scherff, RT Rookie or Taylor

Rookie LT, Rookie IOL, C Shatley

To me this strategy would give us a clear upgrade in talent at least at two positions-Maybe 3 if the rookie RT beats out Taylor, improved depth along the OL, and someone to groom in once Williams, Norwell Linder and Scherff gets too old/expemsive.

(12-26-2020, 09:28 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

If we sign Trent Williams, I draft another OT early on to compete for the RT spot and I draft a OG/OT in the later rounds as well to compete for the RG position. 

If we sign Scherff, I draft two OT's. A starting LT with the second pick in round 1 and another somewhere around the 4th or 5th round to compete for the RT position.

That seems reasonable.

(12-26-2020, 10:06 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Depends who's available of course, but I expect O-line with the 2nd first.  Defense with both seconds, third and maybe fourth rounders.  Back for O-line again with the 4th or 5th.

That's interesting because it provides the offensive defensive balance we need.  Unless we hit on those guards though, I don't know if it provides the quality of depth we need along the OL.

I'd definitely prefer Trent Williams in free agency. I'd draft someone who could eventually replace him. Mayfield of Michigan would be my preference and he could initially compete with Taylor at right tackle. If he is available at the top of round 2, he'd be my top choice. The number of guards we draft depends on which current players are not re-signed. If they keep both Norwell and Cann, there should be no urgency to draft a guard until the last couple of rounds. The exception would be, as always should be the case, if someone they really like is surprisingly still on the board. Trey Smith is one player I'd love to have. He can be a dominant run blocker in the NFL. A 2nd round of Mayfield and Smith would not be hard to take, especially after signing Trent Williams. In this scenerio, I'd take Freirmuth at the end of round 1 and then focus on defense after round 2. By adding Leonard Williams and one of the very good safeties (Simmons, Marcus Williams or Marcus Maye) the defense would be vastly improved prior to the draft. They could further strengthen that side of the ball in rounds 3-5.

(12-27-2020, 12:00 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 10:06 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Depends who's available of course, but I expect O-line with the 2nd first.  Defense with both seconds, third and maybe fourth rounders.  Back for O-line again with the 4th or 5th.

That's interesting because it provides the offensive defensive balance we need.  Unless we hit on those guards though, I don't know if it provides the quality of depth we need along the OL.

I'd like to see them start thinking about a C. Linder is getting up there, still producing, just aging and injuries making him miss here and there. I know we have Shatley, but Id rather have Linders permanent replacement on the roster soon, so we dont end up throwing in a rookie maybe even an UDFA because we waited too long to look. Not a huge priority at this point in time, but if there is a good one available in the next couple drafts, I'd like to see him on the roster

I feel like everyone keeps assuming the Jags will be able sign T. Williams. If anything I think he will stay in San Fran, and y'all need a plan B.

(12-27-2020, 02:10 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I feel like everyone keeps assuming the Jags will be able sign T. Williams. If anything I think he will stay in San Fran, and y'all need a plan B.

We can offer way more money than the Niners, but this is more about what we wish will happen, not what will happen. In all likelihood, we'll have a rookie starting at LT.

(12-26-2020, 11:50 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 10:45 PM)Upper Wrote: There is no limit. I am signing Trent Williams if at all possible and still taking OL with our next 3 if good ones are there. Something like Trent Williams, Leatherwood/Vera-Tucker/Eichenberg, Mayfield, and Dickerson/Brown is possible.

I'd rather just trade up and get that TE from Florida.  The guys you listed are just guys outside Trent Williams.

I thought about trading up for Pitts and such a move is doable, provided Pitts falls down to about 16.

There are lots of teams between 5-15 or so that are in good shape at the TE spot.

Per PFNs mock draft simulator, picks 5-16 look like this

5.  Atlanta
6.  Miami
7.  Philadelphia
8.  Dallas
9.  Chargers
10.  Giants
11.  Lions
12.  49ers
13.  Broncos
14.  Vikings
15.  Patriots
16.  Bears
17.  Raiders
18.  Ravens

25.  Jaguars

First off, typically speaking TEs don't go in the top 5.  Usually, if they go in the first round. they typically go around mid first round, but quality TEs are found in the 3rd round by good drafting teams.

Secondlly assuming the draft sequence looks like this, most of those teams are pretty decently stocked at TE.  Atlanta made the trade for Hayden Hurst.  Miami has Mike Gesicki.  The Giants have Engram.  There is the Iowa contingency headed u by Hockenson (:ions). Kittle (49ers) and Fant (Denver).  The Vikings have Irv Smith.  The Bears just drafted Cole Kmet, and the Raiders have Darren Waller.  To me, this leaves The Patriots and Ravens as teams most likely to draft Pitts.

Let's say we have to jump ahead of the Ravens.

Per the trade value charts, it would likely take the 25th pick the top pick in the 3rd and a 4th to move up that high.

Now if we had the first pick in every round, we could trade back from the top of the 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd  to essentially recoup that trade cost.

(12-27-2020, 05:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote:
(12-26-2020, 11:50 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote: I'd rather just trade up and get that TE from Florida.  The guys you listed are just guys outside Trent Williams.

I thought about trading up for Pitts and such a move is doable, provided Pitts falls down to about 16.

There are lots of teams between 5-15 or so that are in good shape at the TE spot.

5.  Atlanta
6.  Miami
7.  Philadelphia
8.  Dallas
9.  Chargers
10.  Giants
11.  Lions
12.  49ers
13.  Broncos
14.  Vikings
15.  Patriots
16.  Bears
17.  Raiders
18.  Ravens

25.  Jaguars

First off, typically speaking TEs don't go in the top 5.  Usually, if they go in the first round. they typically go around mid first round, but quality TEs are found in the 3rd round by good drafting teams.

Secondlly assuming the draft sequence looks like this, most of those teams are pretty decently stocked at TE.  Atlanta made the trade for Hayden Hurst.  Miami has Mike Gesicki.  The Giants have Engram.  There is the Iowa contingency headed u by Hockenson (:ions). Kittle (49ers) and Fant (Denver).  The Vikings have Irv Smith.  The Bears just drafted Cole Kmet, and the Raiders have Darren Waller.  To me, this leaves The Patriots and Ravens as teams most likely to draft Pitts.

Per the trade value charts, it would likely take the 25th pick the top pick in the 3rd and a 4th to move up that high.

Now if we had the first pick in every round, we could trade back from the top of the 2nd and pick up an extra 3rd  to essentially recoup that trade cost.

Something tells me the Chargers are gonna let Henry walk in free agency. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they do, they'll be all over Pitts.

(12-27-2020, 05:40 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(12-27-2020, 05:37 PM)Bullseye Wrote: I thought about trading up for Pitts and such a move is doable, provided Pitts falls down to about 16.

5.  Atlanta
6.  Miami
7.  Philadelphia
8.  Dallas
9.  Chargers
10.  Giants
11.  Lions
12.  49ers
13.  Broncos
14.  Vikings
15.  Patriots
16.  Bears
17.  Raiders
18.  Ravens

25.  Jaguars

Something tells me the Chargers are gonna let Henry walk in free agency. Maybe I'm wrong, but if they do, they'll be all over Pitts.

Possible.

But they need a LT for Herbert.