Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Jaguars are now on the clock!

(01-01-2021, 11:08 PM)captivating Wrote: So has Fields just moved up to No. 1

After watching him play through pain last night, I'd definately say that Fields has definately moved up on my list. I'm not saying that he's better than Lawrence, but what I am saying is that I'd be happy w/either QB prospect. Fields played Lights Out last night. Win or lose, if he does the same within his next game, sign me up.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
"AZANE"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

If Lawrence doesn't declare, I'd feel good about Fields. They're both going to be good pros. Not sure Lawrence is really the generational talent people keep talking about but he's going to be a really good player.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-02-2021, 07:39 AM)hb1148 Wrote: If Lawrence doesn't declare, I'd feel good about Fields. They're both going to be good pros. Not sure Lawrence is really the generational talent people keep talking about but he's going to be a really good player.

I kind of feel the same way after last night.  I still prefer Lawrence, no doubt at all, but after last night I have less worry about him deciding to stay in school.  I'd be fine with Fields.   I'm sure Jets fans are feeling a lot better, too.

(01-02-2021, 08:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 07:39 AM)hb1148 Wrote: If Lawrence doesn't declare, I'd feel good about Fields. They're both going to be good pros. Not sure Lawrence is really the generational talent people keep talking about but he's going to be a really good player.

I kind of feel the same way after last night.  I still prefer Lawrence, no doubt at all, but after last night I have less worry about him deciding to stay in school.  I'd be fine with Fields.   I'm sure Jets fans are feeling a lot better, too.

My main concern with Lawrence is he's a tall skinny kid with pretty average mechanics and there aren't many great NFL QBs you can describe that way. I wonder how he'll hold up against NFL defenses. Also the league seems to be moving towards players who are great at scrambling and improvising. While he can do it in a pinch, I don't see that as really his strong point.

The other thing I notice and I'll be the first to admit I've only seen him in a couple of games this year, is his accuracy seems average at best.

Still more upside than downside but there is some risk there.

(01-02-2021, 08:31 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 08:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I kind of feel the same way after last night.  I still prefer Lawrence, no doubt at all, but after last night I have less worry about him deciding to stay in school.  I'd be fine with Fields.   I'm sure Jets fans are feeling a lot better, too.

My main concern with Lawrence is he's a tall skinny kid with pretty average mechanics and there aren't many great NFL QBs you can describe that way. I wonder how he'll hold up against NFL defenses. Also the league seems to be moving towards players who are great at scrambling and improvising. While he can do it in a pinch, I don't see that as really his strong point.

The other thing I notice and I'll be the first to admit I've only seen him in a couple of games this year, is his accuracy seems average at best.

I mean the only other Tall Skinny QB to come to mind coming out of college now happens to be the GOAT ?

(01-02-2021, 08:31 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 08:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: I kind of feel the same way after last night.  I still prefer Lawrence, no doubt at all, but after last night I have less worry about him deciding to stay in school.  I'd be fine with Fields.   I'm sure Jets fans are feeling a lot better, too.

Average at best?

Dude. His accuracy is probably his best trait. Watch some more games before making that statement.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021, 09:26 AM by Dockerill91.)

(01-02-2021, 08:18 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:

I mentioned this in the college section as well but is relevant here.

Controversial statement considering he just got 6 touchdowns in a Bowl game, but I don’t really rate Fields too highly. 

I think his first TD should have been an interception and he had a wide open made down the middle to hit for an easier TD. I think the first quarter he seemed to hurry himself and have happy feet, until he realised that the Dline was never going to get to him and he had all day to throw he never set his feet right and looked settled.

His deep ball accuracy is extremely impressive, but there’s no way in hell he consistently gets that much time and wide open receivers down field to make as much use of it.

With the bad decisioning and the fact he seems willing to throw across his body on his back foot I can see a few 4 interception games.

This is just my thoughts and by no means an NFL scout or even a pro at any level, but I think he’s played far too few games in College as QB, I think he could benefit from another season, not that he will because who would forfeit the millions he will get as a top 5 (probably number 2 pick)

Just to clarify when I say I don’t rate him too highly I mean as a top 10 pick. I’m not saying he’s trash or anything.

I have just watched the highlights of the game and there is no denying Fields looks good. However every highlight real I watch two things seem to stand out and is the reason why I see TLaw as far superior.

Fields, appears to hold on to the ball to long on a lot of plays. I also think he’s very obvious with his target acquisition. I think NFL defences will take advantage of these two things and he will struggle.

Holy recency bias.

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021, 10:03 AM by StroudCrowd1.)

I dont think Fields is a huge upgrade from Darnold and would actually feel sorry for Jet fans if they picked him. He is a slightly above average pro QB who will produce some exciting plays and get some wins, but his ceiling isnt Jackson or Murray. I see him more as a David Garrard on steroids.

I think if you focus on some of the throws TL made last night with the amount of time his line was giving him, you will walk away more impressed and hopeful.

Yeah definitely stick with Trevor. It’s a more difficult decision between Zach Wilson and fields. Personally, I would go with Wilson, but Fields showed the heart of a lion last night.

(01-02-2021, 09:18 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 08:31 AM)hb1148 Wrote: My main concern with Lawrence is he's a tall skinny kid with pretty average mechanics and there aren't many great NFL QBs you can describe that way. I wonder how he'll hold up against NFL defenses. Also the league seems to be moving towards players who are great at scrambling and improvising. While he can do it in a pinch, I don't see that as really his strong point.

Average at best?

Dude. His accuracy is probably his best trait. Watch some more games before making that statement.

I guess it's possible that the two games I saw just happened to be bad games for him in that regard and that he's dead on in the ones I didn't see. Did you watch last night? It's not that he's bad, it's just that his accuracy was not on the level you'd expect from a generational talent from what I've seen. To many overthrows although that could be related to his mechanics breaking down when he's under pressure.

(01-02-2021, 09:12 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 08:31 AM)hb1148 Wrote: My main concern with Lawrence is he's a tall skinny kid with pretty average mechanics and there aren't many great NFL QBs you can describe that way. I wonder how he'll hold up against NFL defenses. Also the league seems to be moving towards players who are great at scrambling and improvising. While he can do it in a pinch, I don't see that as really his strong point.

I mean the only other Tall Skinny QB to come to mind coming out of college now happens to be the GOAT ?

Brady is 6'4'' 230 or thereabouts. TL is 6'6'' 220. It's splitting hairs a bit and it won't make a difference between his success or lack thereof but it might make a difference in how healthy he can stay over a 16 (or eventually 17) game schedule.

What I learned from last night's game.
1. Ohio State's O-line and D-line won the battle of the trenches. This swung the game to OSU.
2. Lawrence without protection is human. (if we draft him better have a good line, not an average one)
3. Fields is pretty good given good protection. Clemson really never got consistent pressure on him like Northwestern did the previous week.
4. Alabama better watch out.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

(01-02-2021, 10:50 AM)hb1148 Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 09:12 AM)Dockerill91 Wrote: I mean the only other Tall Skinny QB to come to mind coming out of college now happens to be the GOAT ?

Brady is 6'4'' 230 or thereabouts. TL is 6'6'' 220. It's splitting hairs a bit and it won't make a difference between his success or lack thereof but it might make a difference in how healthy he can stay over a 16 (or eventually 17) game schedule.

Maybe he is now but in his first few years Brady wasn't even close to 230.
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-02-2021, 11:22 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote:
(01-02-2021, 10:50 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Brady is 6'4'' 230 or thereabouts. TL is 6'6'' 220. It's splitting hairs a bit and it won't make a difference between his success or lack thereof but it might make a difference in how healthy he can stay over a 16 (or eventually 17) game schedule.

Maybe he is now but in his first few years Brady wasn't even close to 230.

Also you have to remember, he was drafted 20 years ago. ;-)

(01-01-2021, 11:08 PM)captivating Wrote: So has Fields just moved up to No. 1

Apparently, just as he dropped out of the first round after going 12-27-114 and 2 int in his previous game against NW.

Lawrence is #1 and its not even close

One luxury Ohio St has always had is their oline gives the QB so much time and not realistic for the NFL. Bama pretty much the same thing. Thier WRs are also always much better than the opposition. Both of their dlines are good though so maybe finally it will equal out on both sides. When those QB make it to the NFL they are in for a rude awakening when they don't have the time and their WRs aren't running wide open. Like a Tua and Haskins

(This post was last modified: 01-02-2021, 11:40 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

Wilson is without a doubt, my #2 and it's not even close. Mac Jones is my clear #3 and Trask and Fields are neck and neck at #4 followed by Shane Buechele, Jamie Newman and Sam Ehlinger. Last night didn't really change anything for me. Fields was playing with a clean pocket all night and his receivers were running free. Ohio State completely dominated on both sides of the line and Clemson's DB's looked liked they were running with cement shoes on. Anyone can shine when they have all day to throw to elite WR's. 

I had Chris Olave going in the early part of round 2, but now I believe he could go in the bottom part of round 1. He gets better and better as the year goes along.

(01-02-2021, 09:58 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I dont think Fields is a huge upgrade from Darnold and would actually feel sorry for Jet fans if they picked him. He is a slightly above average pro QB who will produce some exciting plays and get some wins, but his ceiling isnt Jackson or Murray. I see him more as a David Garrard on steroids.

I think if you focus on some of the throws TL made last night with the amount of time his line was giving him, you will walk away more impressed and hopeful.

Most mocks I'm seeing now, have the Jets going with Zach Wilson.

(01-02-2021, 11:39 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

Wilson is without a doubt, my #2 and it's not even close. Mac Jones is my clear #3 and Trask and Fields are neck and neck at #4 followed by Shane Buechele, Jamie Newman and Sam Ehlinger. Last night didn't really change anything for me. Fields was playing with a clean pocket all night and his receivers were running free. Ohio State completely dominated on both sides of the line and Clemson's DB's looked liked they were running with cement shoes on. Anyone can shine when they have all day to throw to elite WR's. 

I had Chris Olave going in the early part of round 2, but now I believe he could go in the bottom part of round 1. He gets better and better as the year goes along.

(01-02-2021, 09:58 AM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: I dont think Fields is a huge upgrade from Darnold and would actually feel sorry for Jet fans if they picked him. He is a slightly above average pro QB who will produce some exciting plays and get some wins, but his ceiling isnt Jackson or Murray. I see him more as a David Garrard on steroids.

Most mocks I'm seeing now, have the Jets going with Zach Wilson.

I'm always skeptical about Alabama QBs. They aren't exactly a quarterback factory for HOFers.