Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Andrew Wingard - Defensive Player of the Game

(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 12:44 PM by HURRICANE!!!.)

You know your team sucks when this dude gets the Defensive Player of the Game (as noted within this mornings fencing commercial on 1010xl).

I guess it's kind of like voting for the most likely to succeed from the group of homeless people living on Skid Row.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

That'll be a nice resume enhancer when he's looking for a gig next year.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-04-2021, 02:29 PM)FBT Wrote: That'll be a nice resume enhancer when he's looking for a gig next year.

I mean Wingard has definitely gotten better since coming here. There are so many holes on the team and he could be a good special teams/depth player that I could see him sticking around. I get that is not the popular opinion.

(01-04-2021, 02:40 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 02:29 PM)FBT Wrote: That'll be a nice resume enhancer when he's looking for a gig next year.

I mean Wingard has definitely gotten better since coming here. There are so many holes on the team and he could be a good special teams/depth player that I could see him sticking around. I get that is not the popular opinion.

That's all he was intended to be when they brought him here.  Unfortunately, this team was ravaged by injuries making him a starter.  Not his fault, but he really is a special teams guy, and not much more.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

(01-04-2021, 02:40 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:

He plays way too "out of control" and makes way too many stupid mistakes like trying to run that interception out of the endzone. He's just too undisciplined. Let him walk.

(01-04-2021, 03:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 02:40 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I mean Wingard has definitely gotten better since coming here. There are so many holes on the team and he could be a good special teams/depth player that I could see him sticking around. I get that is not the popular opinion.

He plays way too "out of control" and makes way too many stupid mistakes like trying to run that interception out of the endzone. He's just too undisciplined. Let him walk.

I would be stunned if there is any sports team with a full roster of players who never make stupid decisions. 

I'm also not saying Jags have to keep him. I'm just saying you cannot replace 45 players on the roster in 1 off season.

Some of the guys on this team have to be kept, and put in better position to succeed or coached up.

(01-04-2021, 04:03 PM)rpr52121 Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 03:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He plays way too "out of control" and makes way too many stupid mistakes like trying to run that interception out of the endzone. He's just too undisciplined. Let him walk.

I would be stunned if there is any sports team with a full roster of players who never make stupid decisions. 

I'm also not saying Jags have to keep him. I'm just saying you cannot replace 45 players on the roster in 1 off season.

Some of the guys on this team have to be kept, and put in better position to succeed or coached up.

If we were to keep him only as a special teamer, I'd be fine, but he should NEVER see the field as a DB ever again.

I like the guy. Kind of reminds me of Rudy Reuttiger a little bit.

He tries hard all the time. Special teams. Hi motor

He's under contract for another year at a base of $850,000, a minimal amount by NFL standards. He's got a good mentality and skillset for a special teamer, and worth keeping. Although not desirable as a starting defensive back, he is now an experienced backup if you have to use him in a pinch.

A far better player than given credit for. More often than not a play that looks like a safety mistake is the safety cleaning up the mess left by a CB or nickel.

Good backup SS with solid special teams contribution.

Maybe he could develop into a starter quality SS, but I'm not holding my breath.

Under no circumstances should he play FS as he was asked to do early in the season. He ain't got the wheels or the angles to cover back there.

I'd wager the new GM addresses both safety positions by bringing competition, maybe even a splash pick or signing at FS.

I would’ve mind keeping him around for backup and support roles. He’s shown that he can make plays unlike BAD Angle Wilson.

I refer to him as Gabbert on Defense. He did have his best game week 17.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2021, 12:53 AM by iHaunting Raven.)

(01-04-2021, 03:56 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-04-2021, 02:40 PM)rpr52121 Wrote: I mean Wingard has definitely gotten better since coming here. There are so many holes on the team and he could be a good special teams/depth player that I could see him sticking around. I get that is not the popular opinion.

And yet he said:

"I pride myself on being one of the smartest guys in the building and maybe in the NFL"

Confused

"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2021, 07:20 AM by Predator.)

People seem to forget he is only a 2nd year player.

He made some mistakes like all 2nd year players, but he also flashed at times being a starter and played well on special teams. He is a guy who is always around the ball and you have to like that type of player.

Will he develop into a quality starter? I don't know, but he definitely looks like he could be a quality backup at least and a special teams ace.

I would be surprised if he isn't on the roster next year.

(01-07-2021, 07:18 AM)Predator Wrote: People seem to forget he is only a 2nd year player.

He made some mistakes like all 2nd year players, but he also flashed at times being a starter and played well on special teams. He is a guy who is always around the ball and you have to like that type of player.

Will he develop into a quality starter? I don't know, but he definitely looks like he could be a quality backup at least and a special teams ace.

A 2nd year player who was undrafted, and from a small school. 

Some people just expect everybody to be great no matter what and if they aren't they're complete trash in their eyes. Classic casual fans showing themselves.

He's developmental depth moving forward. Solid special teamer and can fill in at either safety spot in a pinch.

(01-07-2021, 07:31 AM)Eric1 Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 07:18 AM)Predator Wrote: People seem to forget he is only a 2nd year player.

A 2nd year player who was undrafted, and from a small school. 

Some people just expect everybody to be great no matter what and if they aren't they're complete trash in their eyes. Classic casual fans showing themselves.

He's developmental depth moving forward. Solid special teamer and can fill in at either safety spot in a pinch.

Agreed. A player doesn't perform like that unless he's developed and grown into the game. Wingard put on a display of what he's learned. I think he's worthy of a return.

I love this time of year when all the amateur GM's start their player analysis.... 
very entertaining.  Big Grin
"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

(01-07-2021, 09:21 AM)Mowerguy Wrote: I love this time of year when all the amateur GM's start their player analysis.... 
very entertaining.  Big Grin

I am a professional armchair GM, thank you very much!