Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tony B a HOF once finalist again

(01-19-2021, 09:14 PM)JagNGeorgia Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 06:39 PM)Firesky Wrote: This is lunacy. absolute LUNACY

Calvin Johnson has the record for most receiving yards in a single season, and record for 2nd most yards in a game (7 yards from 1st; Thanksgiving against the Cowboys after Jerry Jones insinuated Dez Bryant was as good or better than CJ), record for most consecutive 100 yard receiving games. Calvin Johnson is arguably the best Wide Receiver of all time. He did this with Matt Stafford at QB on some absolutely talentless lions teams. The list of players who average more receiving yards than CJ: Julio Jones ... End of list. Whoever tried to compare his numbers to Jimmy Smith doesn't understand that Calvin had like 1k less yards in several less years and still had more TD's and evisecerated JSmooth on a per game basis. I think people just don't understand how DOMINANT Calvin was, there was not a CB in the nfl he couldn't get a catch over. Stafford was famously quoted as saying "It took me till the middle of my 3rd year to figure out that just because Calvin is double or triple covered doesn't mean he's not open"

I love Boselli, but to just flat out say he's a better OT than CJ was a WR is absolute insanity. Boselli was as good as they come and deserves to be in the hall. But Calvin Johnson is a first ballot HoF player imho, and is essentially Barry Sanders 2.0 at WR. Imagine if he played on a better team or with a competent QB?

What's lunacy is calling Calvin Johnson the best WR of all time.

Regardless, you missed my point. I'm not making an argument for Jimmy Smith > Calvin Johnson. Although, I'm not sure I'd use a tied record as proof he's the best of all time since Thielen shares that record with him, and Matt Stafford is a good QB, so I'm not sure he's been disadvantaged by playing with him. Averaging a lot of yards-per-game in today's pass oriented league isn't as impressive to me since it's so much easier to do now than it was before. Otherwise, Odel Beckham Jr. is better than Jerry Rice, Marvin Harrison, and Terrell Owens. Anyway, I his stats weren't better than Jimmy Smith to show how far away he is from the best receivers. He's 32nd all time. I'm fine making him a HOFer but he's not a 1st ballot HOFer.

I believe Boselli is top-3 OTs of all time, but I don't think he's a 1st ballot since he didn't play long enough--the same reason Johnson shouldn't be a 1st ballot.

There's an argument for it, the man was 6'5" 235 lbs, ran a 4.34, had enormous hops and caught everything. Much like Barry Sanders (who also has a claim for best RB of all time) his career was wasted in Detroit. 

Tied or not, he still holds it and 100 yards per game half a season in a row is damn impressive, but do you know what's not tied? His record for Most receiving yards in a season, and he is #2 in single game receiving production. Odell Beckham Jr. has never had near the highs Calvin had, his best receiving season he finished 500 yards short of Calvin's best; Calvin should impress you in any era. What has Stafford done since he retired?

If T.O. wasn't a 1st ballot I can see making Calvin Johnson wait a year, the amount of WR's up for consideration is absurd so I could see him having to wait. I wouldn't keep him off my ballot though.
Championship Formula:

1) Draft Trevor Lawrence!
2) Play good physical Defense! 
3) Keep 91% of the roster healthy!
4) ???
5) Blank #2
6) CHAMPIONSHIP!!!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Tony B a HOF once finalist again - by Upper - 01-06-2021, 01:01 AM
RE: Tony B a HOF once finalist again - by rfc17 - 01-06-2021, 09:31 AM
RE: Tony B a HOF once finalist again - by Dimson - 01-06-2021, 11:00 AM
RE: Tony B a HOF once finalist again - by Firesky - 01-06-2021, 11:48 AM