Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Teams in Cap Hell for 2021

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 01:21 AM by JagFan81.)

So i was looking at teams cap room for next season and was surprised to see so many already over next years cap budget. I forgot the league is decreasing the cap by $22m next season due to covid losses. Now we may have dodged one mighty bullet with our cap but some teams are going to have real problems. The Saints are $95m over the cap right now!!

The teams already over are

Bears- $90,000
Raiders- $7.6m
Vikings- $9.1m
Chiefs- $13.6m
Texans- $17.7m
Rams-$20.9m
Packers- $21.7m
Steelers- $21.7m
Falcons- $24.3m
Eagles- $70.3m
Saints- $95m

You can see how many teams have been caught by the drop and while for some teams it may be a few cuts, for others thats big chunks or key players, this could be an interesting route to add some talent for us.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Tell the rams we'll givem a 7th round pick to take Ramseys big [BLEEP] contract off their hands Wink

(This post was last modified: 01-06-2021, 01:50 PM by Mikey.)

(01-06-2021, 01:20 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: So i was looking at teams cap room for next season and was surprised to see so many already over next years cap budget. I forgot the league is decreasing the cap by $22m next season due to covid losses. Now we may have dodged one mighty bullet with our cap but some teams are going to have real problems. The Saints are $95m over the cap right now!!

Bears- $90,000
Raiders- $7.6m
Vikings- $9.1m
Chiefs- $13.6m
Texans- $17.7m
Rams-$20.9m
Packers- $21.7m
Steelers- $21.7m
Falcons- $24.3m
Eagles- $70.3m
Saints- $95m

You can see how many teams have been caught by the drop and while for some teams it may be a few cuts, for others thats big chunks or key players, this could be an interesting route to add some talent for us.

You will see some restructures to convert salary to signing bonus and push the burden down the road for a number of these teams.

I am also pretty confident that we'll see the owners opt against enforcing the cap overages for a season or so to straighten out the messes...this is a pretty unique circumstance, but if the TV deals start shrinking in the world of streaming services, a lot of these delay tactics are gonna bite some franchises in the backside.

This is where the money people in a front office earn their paycheck.

(01-06-2021, 07:51 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Tell the rams we'll givem a 7th round pick to take Ramseys big [BLEEP] contract off their hands Wink

Heck with that, they can keep Ramsey, I want Aaron Donald if I'm giving them a 7th rounder.

Reckon we can pillage some of the saints Oline with some picks?

(01-06-2021, 01:49 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(01-06-2021, 01:20 AM)JagFan81 Wrote: So i was looking at teams cap room for next season and was surprised to see so many already over next years cap budget. I forgot the league is decreasing the cap by $22m next season due to covid losses. Now we may have dodged one mighty bullet with our cap but some teams are going to have real problems. The Saints are $95m over the cap right now!!

Bears- $90,000
Raiders- $7.6m
Vikings- $9.1m
Chiefs- $13.6m
Texans- $17.7m
Rams-$20.9m
Packers- $21.7m
Steelers- $21.7m
Falcons- $24.3m
Eagles- $70.3m
Saints- $95m

You will see some restructures to convert salary to signing bonus and push the burden down the road for a number of these teams.

I am also pretty confident that we'll see the owners opt against enforcing the cap overages for a season or so to straighten out the messes...this is a pretty unique circumstance, but if the TV deals start shrinking in the world of streaming services, a lot of these delay tactics are gonna bite some franchises in the backside.

This is where the money people in a front office earn their paycheck.

(01-06-2021, 07:51 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: Tell the rams we'll givem a 7th round pick to take Ramseys big [BLEEP] contract off their hands Wink

Heck with that, they can keep Ramsey, I want Aaron Donald if I'm giving them a 7th rounder.

I do think the league will find an 'alternative' route than just dropping the cap. In a way it feels like the original drop was to warn teams the cap isnt going up. Teams have got used to it jumping every year to cover them. The league isnt about to start punishing teams, and especially some of those teams. Where it gets interesting, players are earning more after the last CBA, the drop in revenue is mainly things like ticket revenue and gameday revenue. I cant see them asking players to take the hit as they are still playing and practicing as usual. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see them decrease around $10m and give teams an out like you say for a season and hope 2022 season is back to normal.

Certainly something to keep an eye on this off season

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Meh they will all make it work or cut guys.