Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Tiger

• Temps dropped from the 80's to the high 40's
  • Surgically repaired back
  • Surgically repaired leg replete with titanium in place
  • Bad knee
  • Already out of contention even he shoots a 65 on Sunday

He did the right thing

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(05-22-2022, 01:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-21-2022, 05:31 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: Tiger never gives up and never mails it in.  Leg hurts, probably no chance of winning, but he still clamps down and makes the cut.  I think a lot of guys in that situation would have gladly taken the weekend off.

Tiger withdrawals.  Perhaps he does give up and mails it in.

Don't be that guy.

What the hell was Pereira trying to do with that drive on the 18th?

(05-22-2022, 06:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What the hell was Pereira trying to do with that drive on the 18th?

Huge choke by Mito. Willy Z is my favorite golfer so I was excited mito choked and he got a chance in the playoff. He's gonna get one soon.

(05-22-2022, 10:25 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 06:42 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: What the hell was Pereira trying to do with that drive on the 18th?

Huge choke by Mito. Willy Z is my favorite golfer so I was excited mito choked and he got a chance in the playoff. He's gonna get one soon.

Jeff Prosser described it as Pereira getting tased at the top of his swing. That’s accurate.

(This post was last modified: 05-23-2022, 09:59 AM by NewJagsCity. Edited 1 time in total.)

(05-22-2022, 10:25 PM)jessepeck1213 Wrote:

Zalatoris should have won easily. If he could have cured his slice-itis on his drives and iron play, he would have won by a couple of strokes. Having to scramble so much on the back nine really hurt him. His short game/putting kept him in it. As for Pereira, a meltdown of historic proportion. You were the leader from day 2 till the final hole, and you choke it away. That's Mickelson/Van De Velde level choke.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

(05-22-2022, 01:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 01:11 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Tiger withdrawals.  Perhaps he does give up and mails it in.

Don't be that guy.

Way too funny that, after Marty posted "Tiger never gives up and never mails it in" he did just that.

(05-23-2022, 01:50 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-22-2022, 01:46 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: Don't be that guy.

Way too funny that, after Marty posted "Tiger never gives up and never mails it in" he did just that.

There’s a difference between calling it quits because of lack of motivation or success and being in physical pain from severe injury. It was obvious Tiger was hurting on day one and it just got worse.

he gyrated like his spinal column turned to jelly for a split second.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Should this thread really be named Tiger? I mean, do quitters really deserve to have their name in the Subject Line? What's next, the Roberto Duran "No Mas" thread or perhaps the Hugh Douglas thread?

(05-23-2022, 03:07 PM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 01:50 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Way too funny that, after Marty posted "Tiger never gives up and never mails it in" he did just that.

There’s a difference between calling it quits because of lack of motivation or success and being in physical pain from severe injury. It was obvious Tiger was hurting on day one and it just got worse.

I think the point is he wouldn't have withdrawn if he had been in contention.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(05-24-2022, 10:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-23-2022, 03:07 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: There’s a difference between calling it quits because of lack of motivation or success and being in physical pain from severe injury. It was obvious Tiger was hurting on day one and it just got worse.

I think the point is he wouldn't have withdrawn if he had been in contention.

But would he even be in contention while suffering debilitating pain? It’s a meaningless circular argument. 

I have a history of calling it quits for no apparent reason. It most likely has to do with

(05-25-2022, 06:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote:
(05-24-2022, 10:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote: I think the point is he wouldn't have withdrawn if he had been in contention.

But would he even be in contention while suffering debilitating pain? It’s a meaningless circular argument. 

I have a history of calling it quits for no apparent reason. It most likely has to do with

Whether he was capable of being in contention or not is irrelevant.   The fact that he wasn't is the whole point.  He wouldn't have withdrawn while any chance of winning remained.  He's not playing for the love of the game, and he certainly doesn't need the money.  It's all about personal glory.  Hasn't he publicly stated that he's only interested in the Majors?  Not exactly "Sportsman of the Year" stuff.

There's a big difference between pain that affects your performance and pain that is debilitating.  He used the pain as an excuse to withdraw when it became obvious the glory was out of reach.

(05-25-2022, 12:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 06:51 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: But would he even be in contention while suffering debilitating pain? It’s a meaningless circular argument. 

Whether he was capable of being in contention or not is irrelevant.   The fact that he wasn't is the whole point.  He wouldn't have withdrawn while any chance of winning remained.  He's not playing for the love of the game, and he certainly doesn't need the money.  It's all about personal glory.  Hasn't he publicly stated that he's only interested in the Majors?  Not exactly "Sportsman of the Year" stuff.

There's a big difference between pain that affects your performance and pain that is debilitating.  He used the pain as an excuse to withdraw when it became obvious the glory was out of reach.

Exactly.  He's only there to chase Jack Nicholas' record.  When defeat is imminent, he packs it in.

(05-25-2022, 02:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 12:39 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Whether he was capable of being in contention or not is irrelevant.   The fact that he wasn't is the whole point.  He wouldn't have withdrawn while any chance of winning remained.  He's not playing for the love of the game, and he certainly doesn't need the money.  It's all about personal glory.  Hasn't he publicly stated that he's only interested in the Majors?  Not exactly "Sportsman of the Year" stuff.

Exactly.  He's only there to chase Jack Nicholas' record.  When defeat is imminent, he packs it in.

So you've become a mind reader.  Impressive.  

It was pretty obvious that he was barely making it around the course on Saturday.

(05-25-2022, 03:42 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 02:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Exactly.  He's only there to chase Jack Nicholas' record.  When defeat is imminent, he packs it in.

It was pretty obvious that he was barely making it around the course on Saturday.

Not a mind reader, I'm a mine reader.  I read what's mine.

(05-25-2022, 03:42 PM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 02:47 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Exactly.  He's only there to chase Jack Nicholas' record.  When defeat is imminent, he packs it in.

Do you seriously believe he would have withdrawn had he still been in contention?

(05-25-2022, 06:02 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 03:42 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: So you've become a mind reader.  Impressive.  

Do you seriously believe he would have withdrawn had he still been in contention?

I think he would have weighed the possibility of permanent injury or extreme pain against the possibility of winning a 16th major.  

But in the situation he was in, I don't see how anyone can criticize his decision to withdraw.  And right now, I see some possibility that he might retire for good.

(05-26-2022, 09:22 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 06:02 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Do you seriously believe he would have withdrawn had he still been in contention?

I think he would have weighed the possibility of permanent injury or extreme pain against the possibility of winning a 16th major.  

But in the situation he was in, I don't see how anyone can criticize his decision to withdraw.  And right now, I see some possibility that he might retire for good.

Permanent injury???  It's GOLF.  There are no blindside hits, checking headfirst into the boards or 100 mph fastballs being thrown at your head.  Everyone stands quietly while you hit a little ball with a club.

Extreme pain?  When the going got tough, Tiger got gone!

The "situation" (out of contention) he was in is exactly why I criticize his decision.  If he was in such pain, why didn't he withdraw after round 1 or 2?

I really don't mind Tiger cherry-picking tournaments to potentially cement his legacy with - or "pad his historic stats" - however you want to look at it.
Doesn't bother me, and I don't mind a WD when it's not working.

He's a living legend of the game with precious few years left to be remotely competitive in such tournaments.
Let him give it a go when his conditioning and injury recovery are in a good place.
It's good for the game and if he ever gets to the point of really contending again it would be one heckuva story.
There aren't many in the PGA universe that don't want him out there. The majority of the players and organizers want him around.

I kinda' doubt it's gonna happen for him though. Between the screws in his leg and the fusion of his spine he's got a lot stacked against him. I still enjoy following his rounds occasionally while he tries.