Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
NBA 2020-2021 Season thread *****Official******

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2021, 03:01 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

Placeholder to get this started. 
Harden to the nets. I am calling it now, there’s almost no way that combo of personalities will work with Kylie KD and Harden.

Another exciting start to the NBA season. Last seasons thread ended up lasting way longer than it should have so hopefully we will avoid that this year. The trades are going crazy again this year. I am beginning to believe that trading for superstars, especially near 30, is the surest way to start a rebuild even faster. You might get a playoff series win or two, but these trades aren't producing championships (with the notable exception of Anthony Davis - who was much younger and quite a bit better as a two way player than most of the other 'superstars' that were traded). The wizards trading Wall for Westbrook was pointless. Westbrook isn't good enough to elevate a team by himself, and Wall was home grown. I wouldn't have done it. So far the trade hasn't really worked for either side. I think the same thing will happen with Harden. He is a aging one way player only, you don't win championships with those guys. KD has never been an all-defense kind of guy, neither is Kyrie, and all of them are prone to sulking. This team is like a match near a stick of dynamite. And giving away unprotected picks 6 years in the future? Someone is getting some very high picks for the beard.

On the other hand, trading a superstar is the fastest way to rebuild. OKC and the Rockets are now in much stronger positions than they were previously. And the crazy thing, is they didn't get that much worse. They were borderline playoff teams with their stars and now they are a little worse, except they have tons of picks going into the future. My personal feeling is that they will be better teams than the people they traded with in a 3-4 years at most. And then they will remain better for a much longer period.

On other NBA front, I think Giannis signing with the Bucks was expected, but I don't think he will win there. I would look for Bucks to try and get a haul for him in about 3.5 years, cause I doubt he signs another extension after this one. I love Giannis attitude and his family story, but the fact he waited to sign as long as he did tells me he thought long and hard about leaving. Give him a few more years of doing bad in the playoffs and he will leave. Now if he gets a ring, I think it could change, but I just don't see that happen unless he continues to expand his game. He must learn to shoot better, its the only way out. But 2 years in a row he gets MVP in the regular and then gets stopped by the good teams in the playoffs. There is a way to beat him, and unless he improves the better teams will keep doing it. Although I admit the Jrue Holiday trade will benefit him, and as a two way player he will help much more than some of the 'superstars' above will, I don't think he puts you over the top. I think they maybe make it to ECF this year, but I can't see them beating Boston outside of injuries. I think that Boston will likely come out of the East this year, but Miami wouldn't shock me either, although I don't think they will capture the bubble magic again.

And of course that brings me to the Magic. Or tragic. Sign Fultz, and he goes down with an ACL after looking like he might be good this year. Cole Anthony looks like a chucker. And I have to watch Lamelo, whose shooting is better than expected, looking pretty dang good for Charolette in their kind of awesome jerseys. 8th seed here we come again.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

right on. I’m with you on the nets. I hate harden. His playing style is painful enough to watch but his diva personality along with Kyrie is a ticking time bomb. On paper the nets look great but thinking about all those personalities in a 7 game series seems like a volatile situation waiting to blow. The only possible way they could make it more hilarious is if they added Draymond to the bench to light the match LOL( obviously I know that would never happen but it would be funny). They look like the 2020 clippers.

I think what giannis did was noble and I’m always pulling for small markets like that to land big moves since im a jags fan. But I’m with you in thinking he will have to move to get a chip. I see the same thing for Dame. Lilliard is a hell of a player, but I think it’s a matter of time before short playoff runs are going to add up and he will have to make a decision whether he wants to stay in Portland or win a chip. I know he has chemistry with CJ but unless they land another max, 2nd round is about as far as they will go in the west.

Shaping up to be a fun year.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 02:57 PM by HandsomeRob86.)

(01-18-2021, 10:16 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: right on. I’m with you on the nets. I hate harden. His playing style is painful enough to watch but his diva personality along with Kyrie is a ticking time bomb. On paper the nets look great but thinking about all those personalities in a 7 game series seems like a volatile situation waiting to blow. The only possible way they could make it more hilarious is if they added Draymond to the bench to light the match LOL( obviously I know that would never happen but it would be funny). They look like the 2020 clippers.

I think what giannis did was noble and I’m always pulling for small markets like that to land big moves since im a jags fan. But I’m with you in thinking he will have to move to get a chip. I see the same thing for Dame. Lilliard is a hell of a player, but I think it’s a matter of time before short playoff runs are going to add up and he will have to make a decision whether he wants to stay in Portland or win a chip. I know he has chemistry with CJ but unless they land another max, 2nd round is about as far as they will go in the west.

Shaping up to be a fun year.

It would be a real change in personality for Dame to leave man. I think he wants to be the guy that lifts a franchise up, but then again, who would have saw Westbrook wanting out 3 years ago. I just don't get the same vibes from Giannis as I do with Dame tho. Giannis does the whole 'I'm from a small place' routine so I relate to Milwaukee, but I think he enjoys the limelight he has gotten, and will feel it when the media starts to focus on him continually losing in the playoffs. He reminds me of Dwight actually in that sense. Man Dwight changed over the years. Whereas Dame feels like a guy who just doesn't care that much about media narratives.

I could see what your saying tho if Portland keeps flopping. No one really wants to be Stockton anymore when everyone is switching and getting rings. That era really ended in the 90's. I would love to see Dame stay tho same with Giannis. It would kind of be surprising if either of them were on the same team in 5 years tho.

Also how do we give +1 now, I don't see the button anymore, but I saw you were able to do it for mine?

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Came across this quote after Nets lost to Cleveland for the second time in a row: “We’re kind of learning on the fly because we haven’t had many practices, but we have to have constant effort,” Harden said. “Honestly, our problem isn’t offense. We’re not worried at all about offense. It’s our defense.”

Agree Hardin, the problem is and will remain defense, cause only 1 of your big 3 plays it and even he doesn’t do it at an elite level. This Nets team are not contenders IMO. But some credit where it is do, they haven’t started the infighting, yet.

Also on Cleveland going above .500 for the first time since LeBron left. Kind of impressive. They have made the most of their draft picks and are making a solid go of it. I hope they keep it up.

Another thing I hope is that the Magic miss the playoffs this year. I know thats weird for a fan, but the Magic have been locked into this 8th seed roster for too long. It’s like the same team gets run back over and over. They are just good enough to sneak into the playoffs and get the gentlemen’s sweep every year. Actually that’s not completely fair, if we didn’t have so many injuries the Magic might be able to take the next step with Isaac. Vuc is a beast also, I feel kind of bad that we don’t have the talent to take advantage of his great play. I did love the Cole Anthony game winner, but that just the kind of chucking he has been doing all season, and he hasn’t made them consistently. I get it, he’s young, but still I would love to see some better slot selection and higher percentage makes. Maybe I shouldn’t complain, the Magic need all the offense they can get.

Also the bottom of the East is a blood bath. Miami wouldn’t be in the playoffs if they started right now. Lot of .500ish teams. Should be interesting, I personally am pulling for Cleveland to get in and Charlotte. I thought Atlanta would be better, but they never seem to be. Anyway, it’s all interesting, all the game delays make it hard to project this season also.

The nice thing about the Harden trade is that I am really enjoying watching the Rockets again. I think Harden is a phenomenal player, but I can't stand statisticsball. I want to see good spacing, ball movement, and hustle. I think the Rockets did a fantastic job of putting together a competitive team. Not sure how long it will last, though.

I've watched the Nets. Personally, I would try to trade Kyrie, but that will never happen. I'm not really a fan of the big 3 concept. Anyways, the Nets are doing a terrible job getting turnovers. I think teams are averaging quite a bit more shots per game. The Nets offense is incredible, though.

(02-03-2021, 08:33 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: The nice thing about the Harden trade is that I am really enjoying watching the Rockets again. I think Harden is a phenomenal player, but I can't stand statisticsball. I want to see good spacing, ball movement, and hustle. I think the Rockets did a fantastic job of putting together a competitive team. Not sure how long it will last, though.

I've watched the Nets. Personally, I would try to trade Kyrie, but that will never happen. I'm not really a fan of the big 3 concept. Anyways, the Nets are doing a terrible job getting turnovers. I think teams are averaging quite a bit more shots per game. The Nets offense is incredible, though.

They are doing better than I thought together, but the defense is just as bad as I thought it would be. I still don’t believe the nets are a championship level team. I expect them to lose in the second round or ECF at best. 

Miami has gone to crap so far this year. I keep looking at them and asking, is this the same team? What a finals hangover. I can’t remember the last time a team ran back a finals team with all the starters intact and just up and missed the playoffs. 

Orlando is tanking despite trying to win. They just need to fire sale all our older talent (Vuc, Gordon, Fournier, and Ross). All those guys are worth at least low first round picks (maybe high second for Ross). They would all be much better as complimentary pieces on a contender. Just need to commit to the rebuild

The Brooklyn Nets rarely have the 'Big 3' all available for a game. Kevin Durant was pulled twice during the home loss to Toronto.the other night because of Covid contact concerns. Durant had to miss last night's game at Philadelphia and is out at least two more games. Kyrie Irving missed last night's game at Philadelphia with a finger injury.

Brooklyn was undermanned last night but the score was 79-79 in the middle of the 3rd QTR. The Nets self destructed in the remainder of the QTR, with the very talented 76ers taking advantage, and building a 16 point lead. That resulted in HC Steve Nash resting James Harden in the entire 4th QTR. Good big picture decision.

(This post was last modified: 02-12-2021, 09:32 AM by HURRICANE!!!.)

Wake me up when the playoffs start.  Same goes for the NCAA Tournament.

Definitely a shame because there were years when I'd renew my NBA All-Access Package without giving it a thought.  There was also a day where I could name the starting lineup of probably 20 college teams.  Now I can't name 3 players in college basketball.

Baseball pretty much died for me ~ 10 years ago and basketball is now taking that same path where I only watch the playoffs.  Kind of sad since that's all I did since age 5 and averaged 17 points in HS.

(02-12-2021, 09:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Wake me up when the playoffs start.  Same goes for the NCAA Tournament.

Definitely a shame because there were years when I'd renew my NBA All-Access Package without giving it a thought.  There was also a day where I could name the starting lineup of probably 20 college teams.  Now I can't name 3 players in college basketball.

Baseball pretty much died for me ~ 10 years ago and basketball is now taking that same path where I only watch the playoffs.  Kind of sad since that's all I did since age 5 and averaged 17 points in HS.

I had a partial scholarship to Slippery Rock for b-ball.   Smile  Never got to go because my dad died over the summer after my senior year in HS and I had to stay near home.

I used to be glued to the couch year-round with every pro sport in Philly.  I just totally lost interest in everything but football after a few years in FL.  I'm going to make an attempt to get back into hockey and MLB now that I'm in DFW.  I'll still follow the Jags and be back in town for a couple of games, mainly because I despise the Cowboys.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(02-12-2021, 09:58 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 09:28 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Wake me up when the playoffs start.  Same goes for the NCAA Tournament.

I had a partial scholarship to Slippery Rock for b-ball.   Smile  Never got to go because my dad died over the summer after my senior year in HS and I had to stay near home.

I used to be glued to the couch year-round with every pro sport in Philly.  I just totally lost interest in everything but football after a few years in FL.  I'm going to make an attempt to get back into hockey and MLB now that I'm in DFW.  I'll still follow the Jags and be back in town for a couple of games, mainly because I despise the Cowboys.

Sorry to hear about your dad's death and the immediate impact that must have had you on.

Slippery Rock was our rival so you must have been really good during HS.  I went to IUP but the coach at that time enforced the UVA type passing the ball 10x before shooting offense which I no longer enjoyed so I just focused on pickup games and happy hours for the most part.  Most of the pickup games were with the Philly kids who played around the clock.  I even played for Kappa Alpha Psi one summer which was kind of an honor for this little 6' white dude ..... HA !!

The northeast definitely promotes all of the sports as do other major city's (like the DFW region).  Heck, the Pens beat the Caps 6-3 and Anthony Davis just went down with an injury, so perhaps there is hope for getting back into the NBA and Hockey this year after all.

.... I'm with you on the Cowboys hate as well ... mine stemming mostly from the 70's 

(This post was last modified: 02-16-2021, 07:25 PM by RicoTx.)

(02-15-2021, 06:56 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 09:58 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I had a partial scholarship to Slippery Rock for b-ball.   Smile  Never got to go because my dad died over the summer after my senior year in HS and I had to stay near home.

Sorry to hear about your dad's death and the immediate impact that must have had you on.

Slippery Rock was our rival so you must have been really good during HS.  I went to IUP but the coach at that time enforced the UVA type passing the ball 10x before shooting offense which I no longer enjoyed so I just focused on pickup games and happy hours for the most part.  Most of the pickup games were with the Philly kids who played around the clock.  I even played for Kappa Alpha Psi one summer which was kind of an honor for this little 6' white dude ..... HA !!

The northeast definitely promotes all of the sports as do other major city's (like the DFW region).  Heck, the Pens beat the Caps 6-3 and Anthony Davis just went down with an injury, so perhaps there is hope for getting back into the NBA and Hockey this year after all.

.... I'm with you on the Cowboys hate as well ... mine stemming mostly from the 70's 

I used to practically live at Alverthorpe and Roychester Parks in the Philly burbs in my twenties (eons ago).  I used to run with the college players from St. Joe, LaSalle, Drexel and some of the other local colleges.  I did a pretty good job of holding my own against some pretty decent college players, so I feel pretty confident that I could have at least been on a college roster.  My problem was that I was kind of a tweener at a little less than 6'5".  Probably too slow to play guard and a bit small to play against some of the bigger forwards.  And my game was probably more suited to the playground than a structured approach like you mention.

That was a fun time in my life.  If it wasn't raining, I was playing hoops.

(This post was last modified: 05-17-2021, 12:59 AM by HandsomeRob86.)

Whelp. The magic did it. They blew up the team and successfully tanked their way to a bottom three record. Hopefully we get a good pick and even more hope that we don’t use it on a dang center. I am glad we got some value for Vuc beyond the pick, cause honestly I don’t trust this front office to draft very well beyond the top 2 or 3.

I like the play in tournaments. I feel like it makes sure that every decent team has a chance. Especially in the west. Interesting that both of the 10th seeds ended up with the same record. So for playoffs, I think we will just have to see how it goes out west. Utah has been really solid all season, but I have a hard time seeing them make it more than WCF. I like Denver, but I don’t think they can beat the Lakers without Murray. Actually kind of sad that it will likely be Lakers/suns the first round. That’s basically the two best teams in the West going at each other. If I was the Lakers, I might deliberately lose to GS so I could go on the other side of the bracket, which looks easier to me. On the East side I like Philly. I still think the nets will get shut down in the ECF or 2nd round, just cause their D isn’t good. I could also see the Bucks coming out of the East as well. Everyone else’s is cannon fodder. A matchup that I want to see is Wizards vs Nets. I think that would be great. Anyway, looking forward to the playoffs. Also it’s sad that Lamelo will prob be bounced after one game, but the hornets needed to play better and they didn’t.

It looks like nobody cares about basket ball around here, but we are down to the final 4 of the nba playoffs. I've enjoyed the games so far. It helps with the football withdraw.

I watch it pretty closely. There have been some good series/games so far; but all the injuries have put a damper on the league overall.

But I'd be okay with any of the teams left winning it. At least, they are all new teams instead usual crowd.

^^ Absolutely, I like seeing someone new winning it. I've been enjoying the hawks runs and the suns look legit.

I just want to know how anybody can shoot free throws as [BLEEP] as Ben Simmons. He lost the series for the Sixers.

^^ He needs to go work on his shooting game. If he cares. He's super rich either way. Big choke by philly.

(This post was last modified: 06-25-2021, 08:45 AM by rpr52121.)

(06-24-2021, 05:39 PM)Jag88 Wrote: ^^ He needs to go work on his shooting game. If he cares. He's super rich either way. Big choke by philly.

I mean he has had the same Achilles heel for at least 3 years now. 

Either he doesn't really care, is completely oblivious, or has a complete mental block like how every once in awhile professional golfer can no longer putt or a tennis player can no longer serve. 

I think he is making a mistake not going to the Olympics for Australia. Its an actual competition that has less pressure than anything he will have in the NBA. A good opportunity to just fight his way through it.

Anyone notice that the 2 players that became head cases were top pics in Philly? Their fanbase is toxic for those that may have some mental weaknesses. Heck, even Carson Wentz started sucking there.

(06-25-2021, 10:10 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: Anyone notice that the 2 players that became head cases were top pics in Philly?  Their fanbase is toxic for those that may have some mental weaknesses.  Heck, even Carson Wentz started sucking there.

Who else is the 'head case'?