Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hypothetical Jaguar Scenarios for Backup QB

Do we take Fields? I’ve heard this too many times already. No! We take Trevor Lawrence 100 times out of 100. However I would like to see what we do at backup QB.

Minshew - very capable QB
Haskins - ties with Urban
Alex Smith - ties with Urban
Tebow - I’m just kidding 

Man we are on every sports channel right now.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't understand this obsession that every player has to have a connection to Urban.  Use your scouts and find the best backup quarterback available or at least the best for the price you are wiling to pay.

Personally, I keep Minshew as a third backup, if nothing else.  He's dirt cheap by NFL standards and we aren't going to find someone with more experience for the price.  I like keeping three backups given that quarterback is the most important position on the team and you can't just "plug and play" a guy from off the street.  I also don't see a big benefit in having a "developmental quarterback" as the third stringer with Trevor Lawrence as our starter for the long haul.

I think we need a veteran qb on the roster to help with grooming Trevor.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

Backup QB will be.. DUN DUN DUN Blaine Gabbert. The prodigal son returns!

I am against putting Minshew on the roster. The playbook for Minshew would be completely different from the playbook for TL. They are totally different QBs. If TL could not play for some reason, we would have to completely change the playbook for Minshew. I think what we need is a veteran backup QB with a similar skillset to TL. That way, if he has to come in, he can run the same playbook.

Imagine the buzz that would occur if Urban accepts a call from the Jets to swap first picks. Jets get their coveted Trevor, and Meyer gets his "other" elite QB (assume Fields) and a king's ransom of draft and/or players. Personally, I would take Trevor. But, hypothetically, what would the Jags receive to move back one spot?

(01-15-2021, 02:10 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I am against putting Minshew on the roster.  The playbook for Minshew would be completely different from the playbook for TL.   They are totally different QBs.   If TL could not play for some reason, we would have to completely change the playbook for Minshew.  I think what we need is a veteran backup QB with a similar skillset to TL.  That way, if he has to come in, he can run the same playbook.

What veteran is the same as TL though?
And even if there is one out there that is similar, that I can't seem to think of, is he available and the right price?

(01-15-2021, 02:56 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Imagine the buzz that would occur if Urban accepts a call from the Jets to swap first picks.  Jets get their coveted Trevor, and Meyer gets his "other" elite QB (assume Fields) and a king's ransom of draft and/or players.  Personally, I would take Trevor.  But, hypothetically, what would the Jags receive to move back one spot?
Meyer took the job because of the 1st overall pick.

If the Jags have pick #3, I doubt he would be the coach.

(01-15-2021, 01:59 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Backup QB will be.. DUN DUN DUN Blaine Gabbert.  The prodigal son returns!

There can only be 1 Sunshine.. Wouldn't work.

(This post was last modified: 01-15-2021, 09:00 PM by JagFanatic24.)

(01-15-2021, 03:30 PM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 02:56 PM)ATLjag Wrote: Imagine the buzz that would occur if Urban accepts a call from the Jets to swap first picks.  Jets get their coveted Trevor, and Meyer gets his "other" elite QB (assume Fields) and a king's ransom of draft and/or players.  Personally, I would take Trevor.  But, hypothetically, what would the Jags receive to move back one spot?
Meyer took the job because of the 1st overall pick.

If the Jags have pick #3, I doubt he would be the coach.

Agreed, so I wouldn’t worry about that. This is the first time in franchise history that we have the #1 overall pick to get a QB that will set this team up for the next 15 years. We’re not going to squander it away by moving down in the draft.

This is a year where we “sit and pick” 

Urban Meyer, Trevor Lawrence, 2 first round picks, 2 second round picks, James Robinson, Chark, Shenault. This offseason is about to be lit!

And I 100 percent agree about bringing in a veteran for TL. Hopefully Fitzmagic.

(01-15-2021, 03:29 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-15-2021, 02:10 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: I am against putting Minshew on the roster.  The playbook for Minshew would be completely different from the playbook for TL.   They are totally different QBs.   If TL could not play for some reason, we would have to completely change the playbook for Minshew.  I think what we need is a veteran backup QB with a similar skillset to TL.  That way, if he has to come in, he can run the same playbook.

What veteran is the same as TL though?
And even if there is one out there that is similar, that I can't seem to think of, is he available and the right price?

Mariotta?  Hey we are talking backups.  Ducks.

(01-15-2021, 01:59 PM)The Eleventh Doctor Wrote: Backup QB will be.. DUN DUN DUN Blaine Gabbert.  The prodigal son returns!

The pro.... the progidal.... my son returns!

i'd personally love to see an RG3 as backup. I'm gonna get torched for this... go ahead. lol.

I’m fine with Minshew or Fitzpatrick. I don’t think we have to change the playbook if Minshew has to come in.

I need 3 firsts (this year's 2, and the next two drafts), this year's 2, next year's 3, Mekhi Becton, and Marcus Maye.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I've been extremely ctritical on Lawrence over the past couple of weeks as i'm sure some of you know. But, my critiscisim has simply been with people saying he's gonna be elite like it's a gurantee.

With that being said, I have 0 faith in Fields being a good QB and would be shocked if he ended up being above average. So, the only way i'd even considering swapping picks with the Jets is if they gave us something like..

both their first, their 2nd/3rd/4th, and the first for the next 3-4 years. 

But my issue even if they offered something so crazy for our pick.. I don't really like any of the other QBs this year at all. So I think at this point you just take Lawrence.

Now if we could get that trade, and swap the 2nd overpick for D Watson or something along those lines.. could be pretty good. But at this point in time I think you just take Lawrence and play it safe.

(01-16-2021, 01:10 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: i'd personally love to see an RG3 as backup. I'm gonna get torched for this... go ahead. lol.

RG3 comes from a losing culture and losing work ethic. Wouldn't fit in with what Urban is trying to build here.

(01-16-2021, 10:14 AM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 01:10 AM)MJonesD_32 Wrote: i'd personally love to see an RG3 as backup. I'm gonna get torched for this... go ahead. lol.

RG3 comes from a losing culture and losing work ethic. Wouldn't fit in with what Urban is trying to build here.

Just to be fair, Urban is taking over a team WITH a losing culture and losing work ethic...
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

(01-16-2021, 10:48 AM)WingerDinger Wrote:
(01-16-2021, 10:14 AM)Tank Commander Wrote: RG3 comes from a losing culture and losing work ethic. Wouldn't fit in with what Urban is trying to build here.

Just to be fair, Urban is taking over a team WITH a losing culture and losing work ethic...

We practically define it.

(This post was last modified: 01-16-2021, 06:02 PM by JagFan81.)

Would you make Lawrence the week 1 starter? Obviously its his job but if we have another covid affected camp it seems a bit crazy to just throw him in, especially with our Oline and learning a new system.

Minshews contract makes him look the most attractive. Solid QB for $700,000. You could easily pay more for less. I get the logic of a vet but how much do you pay a QB whos going to be replaced by week 7 no matter how well they play.

Next year is going to be another rebuilding year, roll with Minshew until Lawrence is ready and use the cap elsewhere.