Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hypothetical Jaguar Scenarios for Backup QB

(01-18-2021, 05:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 10:27 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: He won a game, this past season. I think we can do better than having him as a backup.

So he's only played one season?  Yes, we must have BACKUP quarterback that has a winning record.

It's not just that, it's the fact that he regressed greatly over the past season. He is like a deer in headlights and holds onto the ball way too long. That's my main concern. It got worse as the season progressed. I believe we'd be better off bringing in a decent veteran backup like Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick to backup Lawrence. It's not like we won't have the money to do it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-18-2021, 05:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So he's only played one season?  Yes, we must have BACKUP quarterback that has a winning record.

It's not just that, it's the fact that he regressed greatly over the past season. He is like a deer in headlights and holds onto the ball way too long. That's my main concern. It got worse as the season progressed. I believe we'd be better off bringing in a decent veteran backup like Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick to backup Lawrence. It's not like we won't have the money to do it.

Both of these guys have had multiple regressions during their careers and will cost multiple times as much when we could better use the money on people we expect to actually contribute on the field. You don't throw away money just because you have it.

Minshew is a quality backup with potential trade value that will likely go up with more NFL experience. The smart thing is to keep him until we get a trade offer we can't refuse not to be actively looking to dump him as quick as we can just so we can replace him with a more expensive washed up QB.

(01-18-2021, 05:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:10 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So he's only played one season?  Yes, we must have BACKUP quarterback that has a winning record.

So piss away some money on a backup QB when there are so many other needs on this team?  Makes zero sense.  Sorry.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(01-16-2021, 07:44 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: I think Minshew is the best backup QB possible. My problem with it is that he clearly still wants to be a starter.. He apparently pleaded with Marrone to put him back in when Luton or Glennon got a start this year and that kinda attitude wouldn't be ideal with TL here. But if he's okay with being a backup for some time, then he would be ideal.

Every quarterback wants to be a starter. Minshew has got to know that no team is bringing him in to be the starter.  He's got to accept his role and I think he will.

I would keep him as a third string quarterback since he's dirt cheap and has a lot of experience for the price which is a 6th round contract.  I would look for someone better as our top backup.

The more I think about it, I think we will be just fine with Minshew as the backup QB to Trevor Lawrence. He’s cheap and he’s already a Jaguar. No need in moving him. He was already a backup this past season so he already knows what’s up.

(01-18-2021, 08:19 PM)Predator Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's not just that, it's the fact that he regressed greatly over the past season. He is like a deer in headlights and holds onto the ball way too long. That's my main concern. It got worse as the season progressed. I believe we'd be better off bringing in a decent veteran backup like Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick to backup Lawrence. It's not like we won't have the money to do it.

Both of these guys have had multiple regressions during their careers and will cost multiple times as much when we could better use the money on people we expect to actually contribute on the field. You don't throw away money just because you have it.

Minshew is a quality backup with potential trade value that will likely go up with more NFL experience. The smart thing is to keep him until we get a trade offer we can't refuse not to be actively looking to dump him as quick as we can just so we can replace him with a more expensive washed up QB.

You are vastly overestimating his value. I'd be surprised if any team offered anything for Minshew. He has no trade value.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 10:34 AM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-18-2021, 08:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 05:43 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: It's not just that, it's the fact that he regressed greatly over the past season. He is like a deer in headlights and holds onto the ball way too long. That's my main concern. It got worse as the season progressed. I believe we'd be better off bringing in a decent veteran backup like Andy Dalton or Ryan Fitzpatrick to backup Lawrence. It's not like we won't have the money to do it.

So piss away some money on a backup QB when there are so many other needs on this team?  Makes zero sense.  Sorry.

Not when you're playing a rookie QB. I want a proven veteran behind him. We know the limitations of Minshew (weak arm and he holds the ball too long.) Too many fans on this board are fascinated by Minshew, not because of his playing ability, but because of his personality. I get it. He seems like the kind of guy I'd wanna have a beer with. He's a cool guy, but I don't want him playing QB for my team. As far as the money, we have tons to spend in free agency. It isn't your dime, so who cares how much a veteran backup QB would cost? It's not your money and it would be a short term deal. I see no drawbacks.

Jags already tried that with a vetren qb a couple years ok. Got overrated nick foles spent tons of money. all it did was  put jags in a salary cap hole.  Keep minshew as back up qb cause hes still under rookie contract.

spend your cap on building a O-line to protect our starting qb who ever it ends up being. use our cap to help build a defense by bringing in a proven defenseive player who can be a good influnce on the young players,and build a o-line though the draft as well.

maybe bring n a JJ watt. he will be a free agent this season.  you want to build a winning culture yes,but you also have to watch your salry cap or you will be in a hole again with salary cap.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

(01-19-2021, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-18-2021, 08:22 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So piss away some money on a backup QB when there are so many other needs on this team?  Makes zero sense.  Sorry.

Not when you're playing a rookie QB. I want a proven veteran behind him. We know the limitations of Minshew (weak arm and he holds the ball too long.) Too many fans on this board are fascinated by Minshew, not because of his playing ability, but because of his personality. I get it. He seems like the kind of guy I'd wanna hang out with, but I don't want him playing QB for my team. As far as the money, we have tons to spend in free agency. It isn't your dime, so who cares how much a veteran backup QB would cost? It's not your money and it would be a short term deal. I see no drawbacks.

So since it 'isn't my dime' I can't have an opinion on how they spend their money in free agency?  So why have an opinion on anything regarding the team?  I mean, I don't own the team so why should I care...right?  

It's ridiculous to go shopping for a backup...a [BLEEP] BACKUP...when you have one under contract already.  

Just about any team is going to be screwed if they are forced to play their backup for any amount of time.

(01-19-2021, 10:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:29 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Not when you're playing a rookie QB. I want a proven veteran behind him. We know the limitations of Minshew (weak arm and he holds the ball too long.) Too many fans on this board are fascinated by Minshew, not because of his playing ability, but because of his personality. I get it. He seems like the kind of guy I'd wanna hang out with, but I don't want him playing QB for my team. As far as the money, we have tons to spend in free agency. It isn't your dime, so who cares how much a veteran backup QB would cost? It's not your money and it would be a short term deal. I see no drawbacks.

So since it 'isn't my dime' I can't have an opinion on how they spend their money in free agency?  So why have an opinion on anything regarding the team?  I mean, I don't own the team so why should I care...right?  

It's ridiculous to go shopping for a backup...a [BLEEP] BACKUP...when you have one under contract already.  

Just about any team is going to be screwed if they are forced to play their backup for any amount of time.

So if you have a car that is broken down, you shouldn't look for another one, because you already have a car? 

I want a proven backup behind my rookie QB. I don't want a Joe Burrow situation here. Dalton has a lifetime 56-35 win/loss record and Ryan Fitzpatrick was having a very good season for the Dolphins before being benched, so they could start Tua. Neither would cost nearly as much as what you are making them out to be and they would only be on short term deals. I believe it's important for rookie QB's to be able to come in and learn from veterans. There is nothing Minshew can teach Lawrence except how to look like a deer in headlights when being blitzed. Why are so many people on this board so enamored with Minshew? He's just "a guy."

(01-19-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:39 AM)RicoTx Wrote: So since it 'isn't my dime' I can't have an opinion on how they spend their money in free agency?  So why have an opinion on anything regarding the team?  I mean, I don't own the team so why should I care...right?  

So if you have a car that is broken down, you shouldn't look for another one, because you already have a car? 

I want a proven backup behind my rookie QB. I don't want a Joe Burrow situation here. Dalton has a lifetime 56-35 win/loss record and Ryan Fitzpatrick was having a very good season for the Dolphins before being benched, so they could start Tua. Neither would cost nearly as much as what you are making them out to be and they would only be on short term deals. I believe it's important for rookie QB's to be able to come in and learn from veterans. There is nothing Minshew can teach Lawrence except how to look like a deer in headlights when being blitzed. Why are so many people on this board so enamored with Minshew? He's just "a guy."

And what exactly am I 'making them out to be' other than more than Minshew?

What the hell is the 'Joe Burrow situation'?  I don't even understand the relevance.  He was playing very well without this mythical backup.  He obviously didn't need said mythical backup to learn anything from.  Then he got hurt.  What did it cost the Bengals by not having this backup?

I think you can look at this two ways;

My preferred option as I do like Minshew - Keep him as back up, he's cheap and half decent.
or,
You trade Minshew, we are a rebuilding team and he is worth something possibly a 4th rounder. Bring in a QB in free agency that has some experience to pass on. With our cap space that shouldn't be an issue on a one year deal.

We finally for the first time in our history get the #1 pick, with a great franchise QB prospect available no less, and we are still unironically having backup QB debates. What a godforsaken franchise and fanbase this is.

(01-19-2021, 10:37 AM)snowwolf776 Wrote: Jags already tried that with a vetren qb a couple years ok. Got overrated nick foles spent tons of money. all it did was  put jags in a salary cap hole.  Keep minshew as back up qb cause hes still under rookie contract.

spend your cap on building a O-line to protect our starting qb who ever it ends up being. use our cap to help build a defense by bringing in a proven defenseive player who can be a good influnce on the young players,and build a o-line though the draft as well.

maybe bring n a JJ watt. he will be a free agent this season.  you want to build a winning culture yes,but you also have to watch your salry cap or you will be in a hole again with salary cap.

That's thinking in the wrong direction, wolfie. Foles was a vet backup signed to be the starter, and then got paid accordingly.

I think the majority of the board talking about paying to bring in a backup are looking more at a Chenne, Colt McCoy type that is not going to require a $50M signing bonus and is not really a threat to unseat your rookie, but reliable should he get hurt.

I don't think anybody here (at least those that aren't huffing ether before posting) would be in favor of blowing the cap room on a clipboard holder.

As to JJ, I don't know that he'll want to leave one rebuild for another. He'll likely take a sweetheart deal to play somewhere with a good chance to get a ring next season, time is running out for him.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 01:52 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-19-2021, 12:04 PM)Upper Wrote: We finally for the first time in our history get the #1 pick, with a great franchise QB prospect available no less, and we are still unironically having backup QB debates. What a godforsaken franchise and fanbase this is.

Perhaps you could post a list of topics that are acceptable for sophisticated fans to talk about.  It would me nice to have a reference available.

(01-19-2021, 11:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:02 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: So if you have a car that is broken down, you shouldn't look for another one, because you already have a car? 

And what exactly am I 'making them out to be' other than more than Minshew?

What the hell is the 'Joe Burrow situation'?  I don't even understand the relevance.  He was playing very well without this mythical backup.  He obviously didn't need said mythical backup to learn anything from.  Then he got hurt.  What did it cost the Bengals by not having this backup?

Let me spell it out for you. The Bengals were counting on Burrow to make it through the season and he got injured. They had nothing behind him in the way of backup QB's. If that situation happens to Lawrence and we are left with Minshew as the backup I would not expect to win over one game and that's if we were lucky. The regression I saw in him from 2019 to 2020 was overwhelming. He looked completely lost. He has never mastered the art of throwing the ball away when no one is open. He just freezes up and takes the sacks and we lose yards. It happened over and over last year. I want a veteran who isn't constantly costing us yards. Veteran QB's know to throw the ball out of bounds when no one is open. If you wanna keep Minshew as a 3rd QB, fine. He certainly has no trade value, but he should not be the backup. Hopefully Meyer sees this.

(01-19-2021, 03:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:51 AM)RicoTx Wrote: And what exactly am I 'making them out to be' other than more than Minshew?

Let me spell it out for you. The Bengals were counting on Burrow to make it through the season and he got injured. They had nothing behind him in the way of backup QB's. If that situation happens to Lawrence and we are left with Minshew as the backup I would not expect to win over one game and that's if we were lucky. The regression I saw in him from 2019 to 2020 was overwhelming. He looked completely lost. He has never mastered the art of throwing the ball away when no one is open. He just freezes up and takes the sacks and we lose yards. It happened over and over last year. I want a veteran who isn't constantly costing us yards. Veteran QB's know to throw the ball out of bounds when no one is open. If you wanna keep Minshew as a 3rd QB, fine. He certainly has no trade value, but he should not be the backup. Hopefully Meyer sees this.

So let me spell this out for YOU.

Were the Bengals going to go to the playoffs with Burrow?  No.  Without?  No.  No difference I would say.

Are the Jaguars going to the playoffs with Lawrence?  Probably not.  Without?  Probably not.  Again...ZERO difference.

You really think ANY team is going to be as good with their backup?  Hell no.

You're this worked up about a [BLEEP] BACKUP quarterback when we have one that's just as good as most BACKUPS in the NFL...and he's already paid for.  Good grief.

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 05:01 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-19-2021, 04:31 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 03:47 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Let me spell it out for you. The Bengals were counting on Burrow to make it through the season and he got injured. They had nothing behind him in the way of backup QB's. If that situation happens to Lawrence and we are left with Minshew as the backup I would not expect to win over one game and that's if we were lucky. The regression I saw in him from 2019 to 2020 was overwhelming. He looked completely lost. He has never mastered the art of throwing the ball away when no one is open. He just freezes up and takes the sacks and we lose yards. It happened over and over last year. I want a veteran who isn't constantly costing us yards. Veteran QB's know to throw the ball out of bounds when no one is open. If you wanna keep Minshew as a 3rd QB, fine. He certainly has no trade value, but he should not be the backup. Hopefully Meyer sees this.

So let me spell this out for YOU.

Were the Bengals going to go to the playoffs with Burrow?  No.  Without?  No.  No difference I would say.

Are the Jaguars going to the playoffs with Lawrence?  Probably not.  Without?  Probably not.  Again...ZERO difference.

You're this worked up about a [BLEEP] BACKUP quarterback when we have one that's just as good as most BACKUPS in the NFL...and he's already paid for.  Good grief.

No

No 

No team is gonna be as good with their backup, but does that mean you should roll out there with garbage backing up your starter? Isn't the purpose of playing football to try and win the game? Wouldn't you want to put yourself in the best position possible, by having a competent backup QB. Don't you think it would be wise to have a veteran presence who knows they are coming in on a mentoring role to help along a promising, young rookie? What is the drawback. 

I'm not getting worked up at all. I kinda find this humorous. Your the one with the [bleeps] in their post, so you must be getting worked up yourself. Your love and affection for Minshew is totally blinding you to what he actually is, a bad QB. I find it funny.  Laughing

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 05:09 PM by RicoTx.)

(01-19-2021, 05:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 04:31 PM)RicoTx Wrote: So let me spell this out for YOU.

No

No 

No team is gonna be as good with their backup, but does that mean you should roll out there with garbage backing up your starter? Isn't the purpose of playing football to try and win the game? Wouldn't you want to put yourself in the best position possible, by having a competent backup QB. Don't you think it would be wise to have a veteran presence who knows they are coming in on a mentoring role to help along a promising, young rookie? What is the drawback. 

I'm not getting worked up at all. I kinda find this humorous. Your the one with the [bleeps] in their post, so you must be getting worked up yourself. Your love and affection for Minshew is totally blinding you to what he actually is, a bad QB. I find it funny.  Laughing

I'm glad you find it funny.  I'm just thinking if I emphasized my point it might drill into your hard head.  Obviously I was wrong if you think we're going to find a backup QB that is going to matter worth a flip.

(01-19-2021, 05:09 PM)RicoTx Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:00 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: No

No 

I'm glad you find it funny.  I'm just thinking if I emphasized my point it might drill into your hard head.  Obviously I was wrong if you think we're going to find a backup QB that is going to matter worth a flip.

I do. I just want a backup QB that gives us a 50/50 chance to win. I'm not asking for Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunately Minshew does not meet that criteria.