Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hypothetical Jaguar Scenarios for Backup QB

(01-19-2021, 05:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:09 PM)RicoTx Wrote: I'm glad you find it funny.  I'm just thinking if I emphasized my point it might drill into your hard head.  Obviously I was wrong if you think we're going to find a backup QB that is going to matter worth a flip.

I do. I just want a backup QB that gives us a 50/50 chance to win. I'm not asking for Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunately Minshew does not meet that criteria.

I really don't think there are many back up QBs that legit give you 50/50 chance at winning.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-19-2021, 05:41 PM)Kane Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I do. I just want a backup QB that gives us a 50/50 chance to win. I'm not asking for Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunately Minshew does not meet that criteria.

I really don't think there are many back up QBs that legit give you 50/50 chance at winning.

That's what I've been saying all along...
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 01-19-2021, 06:22 PM by Predator.)

(01-19-2021, 05:38 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I do. I just want a backup QB that gives us a 50/50 chance to win. I'm not asking for Aaron Rodgers. Unfortunately Minshew does not meet that criteria.

There are many starting QBs that don't give their team a 50/50 chance at winning.

This guy lives in a fantasy world.

I honestly think at this point in their careers, Dalton and Fitzpatrick do or as close to 50/50 as you will get.

It's been ten years since we've had a starting QB that gave us a 50/50 chance of winning.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

I gotta take Rico’s side on this one. We already have a backup QB. Can we focus on players that will be playing every Sunday. I’d rather spend my money on them.

Online it sounds like you want Dalton or Fitzmagic but it probably ain’t happening.

Fitz gonna end up in New Orleans, Carolina, it someone that doesn’t have a franchise QB. As far as Dalton, who cares. We have Minshew as our QB2 and he’s certainly capable of winning games. He’s also only costing us $700k

Fitz or Dalton ain’t gonna accept $700k to ride pine.

Alex Smith 2nd String
Haskins 3rd String
Tebow 4th String/1st String Wildcat

(01-19-2021, 07:03 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: I gotta take Rico’s side on this one. We already have a backup QB. Can we focus on players that will be playing every Sunday. I’d rather spend my money on them.

Online it sounds like you want Dalton or Fitzmagic but it probably ain’t happening.

Fitz gonna end up in New Orleans, Carolina, it someone that doesn’t have a franchise QB. As far as Dalton, who cares.  We have Minshew as our QB2 and he’s certainly capable of winning games. He’s also only costing us $700k

Fitz or Dalton ain’t gonna accept $700k to ride pine.

I don't think he is capable. Right now, he's just a bad backup.

I know some think you should bring in a veteran quarterback to "mentor" a rookie quarterback.  I'm not big on this.  If your backup does that, fine, but I don't break the bank just to get a mentor.  You already have a quarterbacks coach whose full time job is to mentor the quarterback.  If that isn't enough, you can hire an assistant quarterbacks coach.  Coaches don't count against the salary cap.  A high priced backup does.

In the Jaguars situation, I'm strongly of the belief that Trevor Lawrence will start week one.  As such, the backup only matters in case of an injury.  This makes the backup position a gamble.  If Trevor Lawrence is lost for the entire season, we would wish we got the high priced backup.  If Trevor Lawrence plays the entire season, you've just wasted salary cap space on a player who contributed nothing to the team.  It's a balancing act.  My inclination is to emphasize the starters.  What good are backups if you team can't win games with your starters playing?  Ryan Fitzpatrick had a salary of $8 million last year.  That's money that you could use towards a starting offensive lineman or tight end or something else.  I would emphasize utilizing our salary cap to build the best team possible around Lawrence.  Fitzsimmons would make more sense for a team where the rookie may not be ready to start until mid-season.  For Jacksonville, I'd get someone better than Minshew and Glennon but don't break the bank for someone like Fitzsimmons.

(01-20-2021, 12:55 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I know some think you should bring in a veteran quarterback to "mentor" a rookie quarterback.  I'm not big on this.  If your backup does that, fine, but I don't break the bank just to get a mentor.  You already have a quarterbacks coach whose full time job is to mentor the quarterback.  If that isn't enough, you can hire an assistant quarterbacks coach.  Coaches don't count against the salary cap.  A high priced backup does.

In the Jaguars situation, I'm strongly of the belief that Trevor Lawrence will start week one.  As such, the backup only matters in case of an injury.  This makes the backup position a gamble.  If Trevor Lawrence is lost for the entire season, we would wish we got the high priced backup.  If Trevor Lawrence plays the entire season, you've just wasted salary cap space on a player who contributed nothing to the team.  It's a balancing act.  My inclination is to emphasize the starters.  What good are backups if you team can't win games with your starters playing?  Ryan Fitzpatrick had a salary of $8 million last year.  That's money that you could use towards a starting offensive lineman or tight end or something else.  I would emphasize utilizing our salary cap to build the best team possible around Lawrence.  Fitzsimmons would make more sense for a team where the rookie may not be ready to start until mid-season.  For Jacksonville, I'd get someone better than Minshew and Glennon but don't break the bank for someone like Fitzsimmons.

Given the fact that we retained George Warhop as our O-Line Coach and hired Trent Baalke as our GM, I don't know if Lawrence even makes it a full season before getting injured. Warhop has completely failed to develop our young OT's and Baalke is a terrible drafter. I also have no confidence in Meyer to build this "elite" staff that he talks about, because so far his choices have been no better than what we've had the last 15 years.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 08:45 AM by CanDoBetter.)

(01-20-2021, 12:55 AM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I know some think you should bring in a veteran quarterback to "mentor" a rookie quarterback.  I'm not big on this.  If your backup does that, fine, but I don't break the bank just to get a mentor.  You already have a quarterbacks coach whose full time job is to mentor the quarterback.  If that isn't enough, you can hire an assistant quarterbacks coach.  Coaches don't count against the salary cap.  A high priced backup does.

My favourite is Alex Smith but I really doubt he's going to play next season. By all accounts he helped Mahomes and he looks like the perfect professional. I wouldn't mind bringing him in to be a coach either. 

I mean, Lawrence also looks like someone who won't have a problem to give 100% but it would for sure help to have a veteran presence around who can guide him a bit when needed.

(01-19-2021, 06:21 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 05:41 PM)Kane Wrote: I really don't think there are many back up QBs that legit give you 50/50 chance at winning.

I honestly think at this point in their careers, Dalton and Fitzpatrick do or as close to 50/50 as you will get.

Yeah... so very few of them. And the better back ups likely won't really be available. Dalton may be available I guess, Fitzy isn't a FA.
The FA crop available is not really anything special.

We could just keep Minshew and probably not miss a beat.

Oline, Minshew is going to be the QB2. It’s just smart money at this point. He had a busted up thumb last year but he has shown he can win ball games.

We’re gonna use our money for starting players in FA. As far as who they hired to answer phones and sit at a desk, that ain’t got nothing to do with Trevor Lawrence getting hurt.

Relax man. We’re going to be good for a long time. We got the QB and the RB. I’m hoping Chark and Shenault are them dudes. Maybe we switch to a 34 and get some rookies and go from there.

If I was a player I wouldn’t care who the coach was, the GM, the cheerleaders, I wouldn’t care who the equipment manager was. I would be doing my thing no matter was who. The NFL guys are the same way.

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2021, 07:54 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(01-20-2021, 02:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Oline, Minshew is going to be the QB2. It’s just smart money at this point. He had a busted up thumb last year but he has shown he can win ball games.

We’re gonna use our money for starting players in FA. As far as who they hired to answer phones and sit at a desk, that ain’t got nothing to do with Trevor Lawrence getting hurt.

Relax man. We’re going to be good for a long time. We got the QB and the RB. I’m hoping Chark and Shenault are them dudes. Maybe we switch to a 34 and get some rookies and go from there.

If I was a player I wouldn’t care who the coach was, the GM, the cheerleaders, I wouldn’t care who the equipment manager was. I would be doing my thing no matter was who. The NFL guys are the same way.

A busted thumb has nothing to do with holding onto the ball so long that he looks like a deer in headlights, resulting in constant sacks for losses. 

Have you seen the moves this team has made since hiring Meyer? I have no confidence that we'll ever be good. We have a bargain basement GM that flushed the Niners down the toilet, a head coach with no NFL experience, questionable character and health problems that wants total control, the worst O-Line coach in the league and more to come. What part am I supposed to be optimistic about?

(01-20-2021, 07:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What part am I supposed to be optimistic about?

If we can successfully get the double dip from the Ravens staff then our defensive coaching could/should be WAY upgraded.

Hopefully Trevor Lawrence is just that good.

I agree most of the news since Urban has been quite a letdown though.

(This post was last modified: 01-21-2021, 09:28 AM by Mikey.)

(01-20-2021, 07:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 02:09 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: Oline, Minshew is going to be the QB2. It’s just smart money at this point. He had a busted up thumb last year but he has shown he can win ball games.

A busted thumb has nothing to do with holding onto the ball so long that he looks like a deer in headlights, resulting in constant sacks for losses. 

Have you seen the moves this team has made since hiring Meyer? I have no confidence that we'll ever be good. We have a bargain basement GM that flushed the Niners down the toilet, a head coach with no NFL experience, questionable character and health problems that wants total control, the worst O-Line coach in the league and more to come. What part am I supposed to be optimistic about?

@You might be able to buy Lot J for cheap right now...@

(01-20-2021, 09:32 PM)Upper Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 07:53 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: What part am I supposed to be optimistic about?

If we can successfully get the double dip from the Ravens staff then our defensive coaching could/should be WAY upgraded.

Hopefully Trevor Lawrence is just that good.

I agree most of the news since Urban has been quite a letdown though.

....since?

(01-22-2021, 04:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/13...30410?s=20

I rocked one of those all through high school and college. Then my hair started falling out. If I had enough hair (which I don't,) I'd still have one. Coolest hair style ever, no matter what anyone says.

(01-22-2021, 05:23 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 04:41 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/FieldYates/status/13...30410?s=20

I rocked one of those all through high school and college. Then my hair started falling out. If I had enough hair (which I don't,) I'd still have one. Coolest hair style ever, no matter what anyone says.

Business in the front, party in the back.

Was reading the first couple of pages of this and got tired of it so pardon me if this has already been said, but you worry about a quality veteran backup when you have a playoff roster. We don’t. Minshew is a fine backup for us unless someone wants to offer a 3rd for him.