Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What’s next for Watson?

(06-11-2022, 09:01 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(06-09-2022, 07:23 AM)RicoTx Wrote: I would love to see Watson suspended after the Turds guaranteed all that money...

I'm a little mixed.  On the one hand, it would be funny to see the Browns get screwed.  On the other hand, a division rival, the Texans, would benefit from the good draft position of the picks that they got from the Browns.
I would expect there is language to void the trade picks if something like this happens and they withheld info or are added to the lawsuits.

It will make the Browns look even worse if they knew what the Texans did and didn't include anything to void the trade and contract.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 06-22-2022, 05:36 PM by NewJagsCity.)

20 of the 24 cases now settled. However, it's reported that the NFL wants a 'significant' suspension for 2022. This has dragged on for so long now, that I don't see him playing this year for the Browns. If the Browns don't have an out clause in his contract, they they are even dumber than we imagined.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/des...-rcna34569

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-w...-for-2022/
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

I don't think he should get to ever play again but then again I don't think people who put hands on their pregnant wives should get to either and here we are.
No Fun

I don't think there's any void the trade language. Best they got is if a full year's suspension happens the contract doesn't start til next season or something. But Watson gets like 50 mil this year no matter what if I heard Rapsheet on McAfees show correct last week

(07-05-2022, 08:59 PM)Kane Wrote: I don't think there's any void the trade language. Best they got is if a full year's suspension happens the contract doesn't start til next season or something. But Watson gets like 50 mil this year no matter what if I heard Rapsheet on McAfees show correct last week

There's no voids until year 3 and that's only if any new stuff comes out between now and then.

Pat had another guy on his show a little bit ago that went over the contract. Watson already got $45m guaranteed as a signing bonus, already paid. If he's suspended for this season, he'll only lose out on $1m, which is his base salary for the year. Dude basically said it's the best contract hes ever seen drawn up for a player. Basically his agent is a wizard and the Browns are dumb as all [BLEEP].

Here's the video - 

6 game suspension.  One quarter for every accusation?

Browns QB Deshaun Watson suspended six games for violating NFL's personal conduct policy (msn.com)
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

(08-01-2022, 09:08 AM)Sneakers Wrote: 6 game suspension.  One quarter for every accusation?

Browns QB Deshaun Watson suspended six games for violating NFL's personal conduct policy (msn.com)

From what I've read, sounds like neither side wanted this to go to an appeal. I expected the initial judgment to be more harsh, but reduced upon appeal to roughly 8. Sounds like the judge decided to put a minimal punishment out there to get this resolved and out of the news more quickly.

It's not a good look for the league (consider Calvin Ridley suspended a season for frequenting the business of one of the league's biggest partners), but in the absence of criminal charges there's not much to go on. I have a feeling the settlements were bigger penalties to him, financially, than any suspension or public outcry will be, in the long run.

Don't go looking for heroes in pro sports, kids.

Fred Taylor's take on Deshaun Watson as he stated on First Take this morning.
* Where are we going with this. The kid was punished. He was punished fairly.
* Those women will get on with their lives. They settled. And so will Deshaun.

(08-01-2022, 10:53 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 09:08 AM)Sneakers Wrote: 6 game suspension.  One quarter for every accusation?

From what I've read, sounds like neither side wanted this to go to an appeal. I expected the initial judgment to be more harsh, but reduced upon appeal to roughly 8. Sounds like the judge decided to put a minimal punishment out there to get this resolved and out of the news more quickly.

It's not a good look for the league (consider Calvin Ridley suspended a season for frequenting the business of one of the league's biggest partners), but in the absence of criminal charges there's not much to go on. I have a feeling the settlements were bigger penalties to him, financially, than any suspension or public outcry will be, in the long run.

They would have to be quite large to hurt him financially with that new contract.  Loss of sponsorship income will probably prove to be more significant.  Either way, he's not hurting.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Goodell still has to weigh in. He can increase the punishment if he wishes. I doubt he'll reduce it. Half a season sounds about right to me, maybe Goodell adds another 2 games.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

He deserves a year. Six games is light with 20+ women accusing you of some rub and tug's. A good point was made on 1010XL this morning. Hopkins got six games for a small trace of PED's. Ridley in Atlanta got a year for betting on a game he wasn't even in.

The NFL needs to get this [BLEEP] right and they need to make an example out of this behavior. It's funny that they even had to say in the agreements that he's only allowed to get rub downs, no more tugs, only from within the club's house.

That's all I needed to hear. He needs more than six games. I would make it twelve at the MINIMUM. It's not like it's going to hurt his bank account, since Cleveland was dumb enough to guarantee everything.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

(08-01-2022, 11:19 AM)Sneakers Wrote:
(08-01-2022, 10:53 AM)Mikey Wrote: From what I've read, sounds like neither side wanted this to go to an appeal. I expected the initial judgment to be more harsh, but reduced upon appeal to roughly 8. Sounds like the judge decided to put a minimal punishment out there to get this resolved and out of the news more quickly.

They would have to be quite large to hurt him financially with that new contract.  Loss of sponsorship income will probably prove to be more significant.  Either way, he's not hurting.

based on the structure of his contract,6 games adds up to $345K in game checks lost (IIRC) if the penalty stands.

I'm pretty darn sure 25+ settlements gonna add up to more than that. None of them were announced before he signed the deal with CLE, so I have a feeling there were multiple commas involved, when all was said and done.

How convenient for the suspension to end just before the Browns face the Ravens and Bengals in weeks 7 and 8 respectively.

(08-01-2022, 03:33 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: How convenient for the suspension to end just before the Browns face the Ravens and Bengals in weeks 7 and 8 respectively.

Imagine being able to determine which games to specifically suspend a player. That's a good point you raised. If you're suspending him for six games they could throw an interesting wrench into their system. Specifically suspend him during all divisional games. LOL. 

He can play in any other game but those games. It would throw a lot of chemistry off in most cases with 1st team reps on offense. Goodell should get more creative with these suspensions. 

I would do it in a heartbeat.
[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

So the whole ruling doesn't really make sense to me.

She basically says the NFL met all the necessary findings to show that Watson did what was accused. But then she credits Watson for following through "on the process" where she herself does not believe he was being credible or telling the truth? I totally get that a defendant does not have to incriminate themselves (even though SCOTUS actually said Miranda rights don't exist in the last session), but they shouldn't get leniency because they did not incriminate themselves. She then keeps referring to the incidents as allegations after that coming to the conclusion that sexual deviancy occurred.

She notes that there was such serial deviancy with 4 women being victimized the NFL's case that he is banned from using non team personnel masseuses, though it is unclear what would happen if he later on breaks that ban or how the NFL can ensure that he follows it. But it does not seem to take into account the "serial"-ness of the accusations when comparing the punishment to other players who were punished/banned. It is basically saying because you were not caught and punished after the first incident then the fact that I (the judge) know there are at least 3 more separate victims doesn't matter? So the NFL has to in advance have written CBA language that if the first punishable act is actually 4 separate punishable acts, then the punishment can be doled out in multiples?

Then she keeps referring to incident as non-violent as if that exonerates the act? In most instances of sexual harassment/abuse the emotional/psychological nature of is consider the major factor, not the lack of violence. If there had been violence against the multiple women, then the charge would have been sexual assault --a different charge- and Watson have would have already have faced an indefinite ban on the commissioners list, lost his pay for last season of the Texans on that list, and likely faced criminal prosecution. Yes, there should be a sliding a scale of the for the punishment depending on the severity of the crimes/accusations but it the lack of violence doesn't mean there should be leniency.

Then she keeps trying to use past punishments as precedents? If that was the path forward, why do we need her at all. The whole point of the arbiter and the new "court like proceeding" was to establish a new line of precedents. This whole line of argumentation didn't make sense. She and the new arbitrator were brought in to create a new line of precedent, not follow line of precedents that based on an older different system and that most have decried and forced an entirely new system.

Perhaps all of these inconsistencies, and frankly contradictions, are a result of poorly worded CBA that ties Judge's hands, but in that case why wouldn't the Judge just come out and say that? It is as if she goes out of her way to not say that directly but instead make opaque garbs about the CBA instead.

I was expecting her to screw up this ruling. You have a former contract law judge who really has no business being in her current role.

I guess she doesn't think the threat of violence is enough to be counted as being violent. I would have thought that he would have gotten a minimum of 2 games per woman.

If he's allowed to play this year it's a farce.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(08-02-2022, 08:29 AM)RicoTx Wrote: If he's allowed to play this year it's a farce.

You must be new to the NFL, Rico.

@@

(08-02-2022, 07:33 AM)p_rushing Wrote: I was expecting her to screw up this ruling. You have a former contract law judge who really has no business being in her current role.

I guess she doesn't think the threat of violence is enough to be counted as being violent. I would have thought that he would have gotten a minimum of 2 games per woman.

Damn…. so 50 games?