Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How do you feel about the Baalke hire?
#becausejagurs
93% approval
Corn
Blank #2
Leftwich>Garrard
Bortles!
It hurts mama!
Superbowl
Going for #1 overall 3 years in a row
Urban Meyer just had 'health issues' and quit
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Official Baalke Confirmed as GM (merged)

(01-20-2021, 09:43 AM)Preach Wrote: They should have consulted with Trevor first

I bet he would've made better choices.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-20-2021, 07:57 AM)NH3 Wrote: When Baalke was hired last season, I somehow had the feeling that he would eventually replace Caldwell. I like this move because we potentially can maintain the scouting reports, along/w the scouts. He'll probably make a change here and there but it's too late to revamp the department prior to the 2021 NFL Draft. Hopefully he and Meyer can reconnect.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Because our scouting department has been so good??????

(01-20-2021, 09:57 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 07:57 AM)NH3 Wrote: When Baalke was hired last season, I somehow had the feeling that he would eventually replace Caldwell. I like this move because we potentially can maintain the scouting reports, along/w the scouts. He'll probably make a change here and there but it's too late to revamp the department prior to the 2021 NFL Draft. Hopefully he and Meyer can reconnect.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...

Because our scouting department has been so good??????

Actually, if you look around the league at the former Jaguars who are starting on playoff teams this year, you could make the case that our scouting was pretty good; we just couldn't retain people.

(01-20-2021, 08:28 AM)The Real Marty Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 11:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: From BCC:

The connection between Baalke and Meyer dates back to Meyer’s time at Utah when he coached former 49ers quarterback Alex Smith. At the time of Smith’s selection, Baalke was the team’s western regional scout. The relationship between Meyer and Baalke will be important moving forward.
It has long been thought that Meyer would take on more responsibilities than that of a typical NFL head coach, making personnel decisions, and handpicking his own GM to help guide him through his first year at the professional level.

According to CBS Sports reporter, Jonathan Jones Meyer didn’t want to “bite more than he can chew” during year one, allowing Baalke to introduce him to the NFL before making a final decision after year one.

Should we gather Baalke is still the interim GM for another year?

That's a distinct possibility in my opinion.

(01-20-2021, 08:17 AM)hb1148 Wrote: Underwhelmed. He's clashed with some of his previous head coaches and while he has a rep for being a decent evaluator of defensive talent, on the offensive side of the ball, not so much.

Thinking/hoping Meyer will be responsible for actually making the picks and Baalke will run the scouting department and negotiate contracts.

If he clashes with Urban Meyer, he'll be gone.

People like to talk about how he chose Alex Smith instead of Aaron Rogers, but in all fairness, there was a strong debate before the draft about whether Smith or Rodgers should be the first choice, and Rodgers slid all the way to pick #23, so 21 other teams also missed on Aaron Rodgers.

One thing in his favor is that he has a leg up on all the other candidates in terms of evaluating the talent currently on the roster.

Evaluating talent on our roster:

Good/Keep:
DJ Chark
Myles Jack
James Robinson
Laviska Shenault
Josh Allen
K'Lavon Chaisson
CJ Henderson
Josh Lambo
Logan Cooke

Expendable/Just a Guy
EVERYONE ELSE

Our OLine isn't horrible, but in my opinion - any of them can be replace/upgraded in the draft/free agency.  There are some young guys that have some potential (Ben Bartch, Devon Hamilton, Collin Johnson) that I'd like to keep around, but at this point the roster evaluation is "Jaguars = Bad"

There are only so many hours in a day, and only so many days until free agency and the draft. Combine that with having to interview and hire coaches, and I can see why just keeping Baalke on (at least for this year) might make sense.

Welp

(01-19-2021, 10:24 PM)Tank Commander Wrote:
(01-19-2021, 10:22 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: I like all of this

San Francisco went 51-44-1 during Baalke’s time as G.M., with three consecutive NFC title game appearances and a Super Bowl appearance.

In 2011, Baalke earned NFL executive of the year, as selected by Pro Football Weekly and the Pro Football Writers of America, after helping transform a 6-10 team into a 13-3 team in his first season as G.M.

The 49ers produced 24 All-Pro selections and 35 Pro Bowl nods during Baalke’s time.

That wasn't Baalke. He only ruined the 49ers.
See, this is what I'm not getting.

How could he have singularly ruined the 49ers if he has those accolades-besides from maybe driving away Harbaugh?

He drafted some good players while he was there like Aldon Smith, Kaepernick,
Iupatie and Davis, Eric Reid Novorro Bowman and Vance McDonald.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

*looks at his 2012 draft*

...is it too late to bring Caldwell back? What an awful draft. We've got all this draft capital, and we're wasting it with Trent Baalke? *sigh* cause of course Khan has to mess this up somehow.

I keep saying it, and it keeps getting truer with each day. The Jaguars are like someone that just won the powerball jackpot and immediately spends all the money on pez dispensers as an investment. Technically it's possible for the move to not result in the kind of dumpster fire it looks like it should be, but one thing is for sure, now, at least the first few years of Trevor's career (assuming the Jaguars don't go full Jaguars with the first pick) are going to be wasted. I just hope he doesn't end up like Andrew Luck.

I didn't have an opinion either way regarding Khan as an owner until now, but after the off-season series of moves I think he might be the worst owner in the league at this point, which is quite the feat considering how bad some of them are.

(01-20-2021, 01:38 AM)Firesky Wrote: i'm sure he'll weigh in as far as scouting goes

This is the problem part. He's probably going to be effectively head scout, and his track record with scouting is poor.

I am not going to kevetch on any of these things anymore. They aren't consulting me on these things. This is a somewhat different plan and I have a feeling we will see the direction it takes in the first season.

Our eyes will tell us soon enough. The draft direction, free agent period and off season program will be telling.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

I'd imagine Balke will be there to crunch numbers related to salary cap and duration of contracts. His drafts in SF are less than stellar

Trent Baalke’s Draft Picks
Draft Year Player Round Taken Departure Result Current Status
2011 Aldon Smith 1 Released FA
2011 Colin Kaepernick 2 Opted out FA
2011 Chris Culliver 3 FA FA
2011 Kendall Hunter 4 Released FA
2011 Daniel Kilgore 5 Trade (7th) Miami Dolphins
2011 Ronald Johnson 6 Released FA
2011 Colin Joines 6 Trade (7th) Carolina Panthers
2011 Bruce Miller 7 Released FA
2011 Mike Person 7 Released On 49ers 90-man roster
2011 Curtis Holcomb 7 Released Jacksonville Jaguars
2012 A.J. Jenkins 1 Trade (player) FA
2012 LaMichael James 2 Released FA
2012 Joe Looney 4 Released Dallas Cowboys
2012 Darius Fleming 5 Released FA
2012 Trenton Robinson 6 Released FA
2012 Jason Slowey 6 Released FA
2012 Cam Johnson 7 Trade (7th) Detroit Lions
2013 Eric Reid 1 FA FA
2013 Tank Carradine 2 FA Oakland Raiders
2013 Vance McDonald 2 Trade (4th) Pittsburgh Steelers
2013 Corey Lemonier 3 Released Free Agent
2013 Quinton Paton 4 FA FA
2013 Marcus Lattimore 4 Retired Retired
2013 Quinton Dial 5 Released Green Bay Packers
2013 Nick Moody 6 Released FA
2013 B.J. Daniels 7 Released FA
2013 Carter Bykowski 7 Released (practice squad) Retired
2013 Marcus Cooper 7 Released Chicago Bears
2014 Jimmie Ward 1 On Team On Team
2014 Carlos Hyde 2 FA Cleveland Browns
2014 Marcus Martin 3 Released Dallas Cowboys
2014 Chris Borland 3 Retired Retired
2014 Brandon Thomas 3 Trade (Player) FA
2014 Bruce Ellington 4 Released Houston Texans
2014 Dontae Johnson 4 FA Seattle Seahawks
2014 Aaron Lynch 5 FA Chicago Bears
2014 Keith Reaser 5 Released Kansas City Chiefs
2014 Kenneth Acker 6 Traded (7th) Jacksonville Jaguars
2014 Kaleb Ramsey 7 Retired Retired
2014 Trey Millard 7 Released Kansas City Chiefs
2015 Arik Armstead 1 On Team On Team
2015 Jaquiski Tartt 2 On Team On Team
2015 Eli Harold 3 Traded (7th) Detroit Lions
2015 Blake Bell 4 Released FA
2015 Mike Davis 4 Released Seattle Seahawks
2015 DeAndre Smelter 4 Released Jacksonville Jaguars
2015 Bradley Pinion 5 On Team FS
2015 Ian Silberman 6 Released Oakland Raiders
2015 Trenton Brown 7 Traded (3rd) New England Patriots
2015 Rory Anderson 7 Released FA
2015 DeForest Buckner 1 On Team On Team
2016 Joshua Garnett 1 On Team On Team
2016 Will Redmond 3 Released Kansas City Chiefs
2016 Rashard Robinson 4 Traded(5th) New York Jets
2016 Ronald Blair 5 On Team On Team
2016 John Theus 5 Released Retired
2016 Fahn Cooper 5 Released FA
2016 Jeff Driskel 6 Released Cincinnati Bengals
2016 Kelvin Taylor 6 Released FA
2016 Aaron Burbridge 6 On Team On Team
2016 Prince Charles Iworah 7 Released Washington

Meh. It makes sense from a continuity standpoint. Urban's new to the NFL and he needs someone in place to help him hit the ground running. I think he'll be the de facto GM anyway.

(01-20-2021, 02:18 AM)jessepeck1213 Wrote: At least it's not Ray Farmer.

I'm with this person.  Farmr would've  burriued the Jags.   Caldwell,and doug had already run them into the ground. they are gone  now though. 

Farmer wasn't hired as the GM.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Look at Baalke's performance over the span of his time at San Francisco. The team did great when he started but as time went on things got worse and worse until he was fired when they went 2-14. Under his leadership the 49ers became ESPN's worst sports franchise in 2016.

I want a GM with a track record of making things better, not worse.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-20-2021, 12:02 PM)Sibelius Wrote: Look at Baalke's performance over the span of his time at San Francisco. The team did great when he started but as time went on things got worse and worse until he was fired when they went 2-14. Under his leadership the 49ers became ESPN's worst sports franchise in 2016.

I want a GM with a track record of making things better, not worse.

Any chance for that ended when Khan went all in on king Urban. No decent GM in their right mind would come into this Jaguars situation.

Khan quickly turned the best opening in the league into the worst.

(01-19-2021, 11:19 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: From BCC:

The connection between Baalke and Meyer dates back to Meyer’s time at Utah when he coached former 49ers quarterback Alex Smith. At the time of Smith’s selection, Baalke was the team’s western regional scout. The relationship between Meyer and Baalke will be important moving forward.
It has long been thought that Meyer would take on more responsibilities than that of a typical NFL head coach, making personnel decisions, and handpicking his own GM to help guide him through his first year at the professional level.

According to CBS Sports reporter, Jonathan Jones Meyer didn’t want to “bite more than he can chew” during year one, allowing Baalke to introduce him to the NFL before making a final decision after year one.

Should we gather Baalke is still the interim GM for another year?

That makes this move less concerning if true. It would also show that this is irrefutably Meyer’s team from top-to-bottom at least until he finds someone to act as GM.

Underwhelming to say the least, but I'm fine waiting to see what the new braintrust does in FA and the draft before getting worked up about it.

(01-20-2021, 11:30 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: I'd imagine Balke will be there to crunch numbers related to salary cap and duration of contracts.  His drafts in SF are less than stellar

Trent Baalke’s Draft Picks
Draft Year Player Round Taken Departure Result 
2015 DeForest Buckner 1 On Team On Team

Not On team.
s
;

;

Feels a bit of a sideways move. Khan has said a lot lately about him being in the decision process but is this who Khan or Urban wanted? 

Ill give him a shot and hopefully hes learnt from his past mistakes but he wasnt on my list. 

I just hope we dont end up back with Caldwell/Coughlin/Marrone situation where no one knows whos calling the shots.