Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: How do you feel about the Baalke hire?
#becausejagurs
93% approval
Corn
Blank #2
Leftwich>Garrard
Bortles!
It hurts mama!
Superbowl
Going for #1 overall 3 years in a row
Urban Meyer just had 'health issues' and quit
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Official Baalke Confirmed as GM (merged)

(01-24-2021, 04:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 03:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: The greatest mistake ever made by the previous regime was picking the Bobblehead over Andy Reid to lead this franchise.

Sorry, but that pales in comparison to taking Fournette instead of Mahommes in 2017.

Hardly, though 4nette was a poor choice Mahomes is nothing but hindsight on your part.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-24-2021, 06:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 04:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Sorry, but that pales in comparison to taking Fournette instead of Mahommes in 2017.

Hardly, though 4nette was a poor choice Mahomes is nothing but hindsight on your part.

Were you still believing in Bortles in 2017?  I WANTED a new QB.  

Would I have taken Mahommes over Watson.......maybe, maybe not.  I would not have have taken a RB to ease the pressure on the QB,  I would have looked for a QB who could handle the pressure.
When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Walter football is always entertaining...

Jaguars hire OC Darrell Bevell: F Grade
Trevor Lawrence will be playing in the NFL on Hard Mode. The Jaguars have made all the wrong moves this offseason, hiring an exhausted head coach with no pro experience and a general manager who tried his best to ruin an NFL franchise. The Jaguars continued making terrible decisions, bringing in Darrell Bevell to be their offensive coordinator.

I've heard Bevell described as a "nice guy, but terrible coordinator." I don't know him personally, but I would agree with the latter sentiment. Bevell was able to get the least out of Russell Wilson during his 7-year tenure in Seattle. He then moved on to Detroit, where he wasted countless downs feeding the ball to the decrepit Adrian Peterson rather than D'Andre Swift. Bevell has been one of the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL over the past decade, so it's unclear why the Jaguars thought that hiring would be a good decision.

Jaguars hire GM Trent Baalke: F Grade
Wow. There are so many great general manager candidates available, and the Jaguars went with Trent Baalke? That's unreal.

Baalke ruined the 49ers in the middle portion of the last decade. When the 49ers fired him, I gave it an A++ grade. Here's what I wrote:

I don't think I've ever given an A++ grade for a coach hiring or firing, but this certainly warrants one. Trent Baalke has finally been axed as the 49ers' general manager, per a Jay Glazer report.

I can't believe it's finally happened. Baalke, along with Jed York, destroyed the 49ers' once-great franchise. Baalke got rid of Jim Harbaugh because he couldn't get along with a top-five NFL head coach. He followed that up by hiring "yes man" Jim Tomsula as a replacement, and he predictably proved to be a disaster. Baalke then brought in Chip Kelly, who was a proven failure as an NFL head coach. Kelly had already shown that he didn't understand simple NFL concepts, so hiring him was an insanely stupid decision.

Baalke's personnel moves were also very questionable. He managed to nail some draft picks, but he whiffed on plenty of selections, including A.J. Jenkins (first round, 2012), LaMichael James (second round, 2012), Tank Carradine (second round, 2013), and so on. He overpaid for some players - why are Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek getting a combined $50 million? - and made horrible moves in free agency, signing Zane Beadles, Reggie Bush (4 years, $16 million!) and Torrey Smith (5 years, $40 million!!!!).

This deserves an "F." The Jaguars still have a bright future with Trevor Lawrence, but Baalke will probably find a way to ruin things.

(01-24-2021, 09:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Walter football is always entertaining...

Trevor Lawrence will be playing in the NFL on Hard Mode. The Jaguars have made all the wrong moves this offseason, hiring an exhausted head coach with no pro experience and a general manager who tried his best to ruin an NFL franchise. The Jaguars continued making terrible decisions, bringing in Darrell Bevell to be their offensive coordinator.

I've heard Bevell described as a "nice guy, but terrible coordinator." I don't know him personally, but I would agree with the latter sentiment. Bevell was able to get the least out of Russell Wilson during his 7-year tenure in Seattle. He then moved on to Detroit, where he wasted countless downs feeding the ball to the decrepit Adrian Peterson rather than D'Andre Swift. Bevell has been one of the worst offensive coordinators in the NFL over the past decade, so it's unclear why the Jaguars thought that hiring would be a good decision.

Wow. There are so many great general manager candidates available, and the Jaguars went with Trent Baalke? That's unreal.

Baalke ruined the 49ers in the middle portion of the last decade. When the 49ers fired him, I gave it an A++ grade. Here's what I wrote:

I don't think I've ever given an A++ grade for a coach hiring or firing, but this certainly warrants one. Trent Baalke has finally been axed as the 49ers' general manager, per a Jay Glazer report.

I can't believe it's finally happened. Baalke, along with Jed York, destroyed the 49ers' once-great franchise. Baalke got rid of Jim Harbaugh because he couldn't get along with a top-five NFL head coach. He followed that up by hiring "yes man" Jim Tomsula as a replacement, and he predictably proved to be a disaster. Baalke then brought in Chip Kelly, who was a proven failure as an NFL head coach. Kelly had already shown that he didn't understand simple NFL concepts, so hiring him was an insanely stupid decision.

Baalke's personnel moves were also very questionable. He managed to nail some draft picks, but he whiffed on plenty of selections, including A.J. Jenkins (first round, 2012), LaMichael James (second round, 2012), Tank Carradine (second round, 2013), and so on. He overpaid for some players - why are Vance McDonald and Garrett Celek getting a combined $50 million? - and made horrible moves in free agency, signing Zane Beadles, Reggie Bush (4 years, $16 million!) and Torrey Smith (5 years, $40 million!!!!).

This deserves an "F." The Jaguars still have a bright future with Trevor Lawrence, but Baalke will probably find a way to ruin things.

Well, they aren't wrong about Baalke...
"Treyvon Wallet is elite run defender and better overall than Aidan Hutchinson" 11/11/23

(01-24-2021, 07:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 06:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Hardly, though 4nette was a poor choice Mahomes is nothing but hindsight on your part.

Would I have taken Mahommes over Watson.......maybe, maybe not.  I would not have have taken a RB to ease the pressure on the QB,  I would have looked for a QB who could handle the pressure.

Let's no to try and revise history here.

10 teams passed on Mahomes that draft and I don't recall you or anyone suggesting Mahomes be drafted with the 4th pick. Watson? Yes. Mahomes? Not a single person.

In reality, the pick was widely criticized at the time for being too high for what many considered a high risk player and for the fact the chiefs passed on Watson.

(01-24-2021, 09:41 PM)Predator Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 07:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Were you still believing in Bortles in 2017?  I WANTED a new QB.  

10 teams passed on Mahomes that draft and I don't recall you or anyone suggesting Mahomes be drafted with the 4th pick. Watson? Yes. Mahomes? Not a single person.

In reality, the pick was widely criticized at the time for being too high for what many considered a high risk player and for the fact the chiefs passed on Watson.

THANK YOU.

+1 for this.

(01-24-2021, 09:30 PM)StroudCrowd1 Wrote: Walter football is always entertaining...

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2021, 02:13 PM by JaguarKick.)

Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this.

(01-24-2021, 07:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote: Were you still believing in Bortles in 2017?  I WANTED a new QB.  

Mahomes was actually my favorite QB in that draft and I very much wanted the Jags to trade down and take him.

(01-24-2021, 07:31 PM)Sneakers Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 06:08 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: Hardly, though 4nette was a poor choice Mahomes is nothing but hindsight on your part.

I didn't say I would've taken 4Nette, but Mahomes wasn't projected anything like what he's turned out with Reid. I was fine with the way they structured BB5's deal but might've taken Watson anyway.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(01-25-2021, 02:11 PM)JaguarKick Wrote:

Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this.

(01-24-2021, 09:41 PM)Predator Wrote: Let's no to try and revise history here.

Mahomes was actually my favorite QB in that draft and I very much wanted the Jags to trade down and take him.

And you said that at the time?

Also you aren't trading down with the bills. They were looking to add picks not give them away.

(01-20-2021, 12:59 AM)icey14 Wrote: I think hes just there for the paperwork and contracts. Someine Urban must trust. Like the gm in sea or KC.  The HC there call the shots the GM just handle the day to day transactions

Ding..Ding...Ding  Exactly, there is something about experience that tells you what doesn't work as you have seen it go up in flames before.
A new broom always sweeps clean.

Bevell is an excellent hire. He is a proven coordinator and more impatiently he has a proven track record of working with a young, inexperienced QB. Couldn't ask for much else.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

It's clear Walter is a Jags fan and is most likely one of our posters here.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-26-2021, 07:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote: It's clear Walter is a Jags fan and is most likely one of our posters here.

With how negative he is, I thought it was pretty obvious he was a board member, lol.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSIM9bZmkezB9B4qD2qAtT...IGQHCZIPuA]

(01-26-2021, 12:57 AM)Dimson Wrote: Bevell is an excellent hire. He is a proven coordinator and more impatiently he has a proven track record of working with a young, inexperienced QB. Couldn't ask for much else.

He's gotten better about calling balls and strikes. He is opinionated about past performance of hires and typically doesn't give people the benefit of the doubt to change.

(01-25-2021, 10:40 PM)Predator Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 02:11 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this.

Also you aren't trading down with the bills. They were looking to add picks not give them away.

I liked Mahomes in a trade down in that draft,  but I suggested trading down to the saints pick. It's laid out in a post I've quoted since.  He was gone one pick too soon had we traded to that spot. 

My biggest miss in that draft was thinking Watson would have a serious INT problem at the next level. 

I knew Fournette at 4 was a mistake at least.  Another player I liked trading down from 4 was Tre'Davious White.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Bevell.

(01-26-2021, 07:45 AM)hb1148 Wrote: It's clear Walter is a Jags fan and is most likely one of our posters here.

HA !!  one of the 2 writers is actually from Tennessee and the other is from Philly.   They're always biased against the Jags but usually right considering the failure of the Jags throughout the past decade.

(01-26-2021, 01:57 PM)Dimson Wrote:

With how negative he is, I thought it was pretty obvious he was a board member, lol.

No doubt. Complete with the whole angry adolescent schtick.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

(01-25-2021, 10:40 PM)Predator Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 02:11 PM)JaguarKick Wrote: Yeah I pretty much agree with all of this.

I mentioned it a couple times.  I didn't like Watson or Trubisky at all.  Obviously I never would have dreamed Mahomes would turn out to be what he is, but as someone who watches a lot of Texas Tech football I thought he would be very good.

It doesn’t matter but I said if Fournette isn’t the pick then Mahommes has to be the guy. I’m trying to find the post.