Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Agent wish list

(02-11-2021, 07:22 AM)Predator Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 05:47 AM)Upper Wrote: I really don't think we need to be rebuilding for long if at all. Players are going to want to come play for Urban and Tlaw and all of the advantages that Florida has. We should be able to get like 4 quality starters from FA and then hopefully another one or two instant impact guys with our other 3 top 50 picks.

Brown is the type of guy who would help shorten the process.

Young and talented. Fits in with where our roster needs to go for a proper rebuild.

Bucky Brooks made an observation about Brown.

He said while he performed well in his time at LT, it was on a predominantly run first team on a temporary basis.  He said he would be cautious about putting him in full time on a typical team on a full time basis.

I didn't see him much at LT that I remember.  I will withhold comment on him until I can go back and watch those games.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-12-2021, 02:46 AM)Predator Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 02:03 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote: I think that you have been listening to Dave Caldwell too much.  You appear to be under the impression that a rebuild takes many years.  NFL stands for Not For Long.  Teams can quickly turn it around in the NFL and the Jaguars, in particular, are very well positioned to do so.  

One thing that can slow down a rebuild is a bad salary cap situation.  That doesn't apply here.  It's actually the opposite.  As of right now, not only do they not have a problem, but they are the team farthest under the salary cap and have virtually no dead money.  We don't need another 1 to 2 years to clear the cap like many so called "rebuilding" teams.  It's already done here.

Second, the lack of ability to obtain a franchise quarterback can also hamper a rebuild.  Sometimes teams aren't drafting high enough to get a top quality quarterback or it's a draft when none are available.  While there's always some risk to any draft pick, Trevor Lawrence is the closest thing to a sure thing at quarterback in years.

Third, the draft is also key to rebuilding.  Not only have the Jaguars not traded away future picks which sometimes holds back a rebuild, but we have a ton of extra picks.  With extra picks in the 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th rounds, it's almost like we are getting two years worth of draft picks at once.  That speeds up the rebuild.

The way I look at is that with our salary cap position, we should be able to get at least 3 quality starters and maybe more in free agency.  I also always consider 1st and 2nd picks to be starting talent.  We also have the very top pick in the third round which should be considered too.  With two first rounders, two second rounders and the top pick in the third round, that's potential for 5 new starters.  Add that to the 3 free agents and we're looking at 8 new starters.  That even assumes that we don't find a diamond in the rough with all of our late round picks or that some young player (Bartch, etc.) doesn't develop and win a starting role.  Keep in mind that these aren't just 8 random positions.  We can basically go in and upgrade the 8 weakest positions on the team.  You then mix our new players with 4 former pro-bowlers, James Robinson who should have made the pro-bowl, Myles Jack who arguably also should have made the pro-bowl plus young talent such as a top 10 cornerback in C.J. Henderson and early second rounder Shenault, etc and you have the makeup of a good starting roster.  Between free agency, the extra late draft picks and first option on waiver wire players, our depth should also be significantly improved.  You also have to factor in that this team incredibly had 16 rookies on their opening day roster last year plus a large number of other young players in prominent roles.  Many of those players will improve with experience.  Hopefully better coaching will also make a difference to the team in 2021.  The bottom line is that this shouldn't be a prolonged rebuild.  I don't think we'll have a great record next year due to the high amount of youth, but there's no reason this team can't be good the following year.  If this team isn't highly competitive for a playoff spot in 2022, the front office did not do its job.

TLDR

I am talking about being for signing  24 year old probowler. You are really overthinking this.

I have no problem with trading for Orlando Brown versus signing Trent Williams in free agency.  Arguments can be made for both sides.  I like both options and probably even lean towards Orlando Brown at this time.  My disagreement is with you not wanting to sign Trent Williams because this team is "rebuilding" and apparently don't believe it will be competitive for several years.  If the team makes the right moves, that's simply not true.  If the front office does it job, this team should be competitive in 2022.  I listed plenty of reasons to support this view.  If you are too lazy to read it, so be it.

(02-12-2021, 02:04 PM)TheDuke007 Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 02:46 AM)Predator Wrote: TLDR

I am talking about being for signing  24 year old probowler. You are really overthinking this.

I have no problem with trading for Orlando Brown versus signing Trent Williams in free agency.  Arguments can be made for both sides.  I like both options and probably even lean towards Orlando Brown at this time.  My disagreement is with you not wanting to sign Trent Williams because this team is "rebuilding" and apparently don't believe it will be competitive for several years.  If the team makes the right moves, that's simply not true.  If the front office does it job, this team should be competitive in 2022.  I listed plenty of reasons to support this view.  If you are too lazy to read it, so be it.

I agree completely. It's nice to have so many viable options for a position that we've "whiffed" on for so long. Now we can sign Williams in free agency, trade for Brown or draft a LT from one of the deepest classes in many years. As someone who values OT's and sees LT as the second most important position on the team, I am feeling very positive about our future prospects.

(02-12-2021, 12:52 PM)Bullseye Wrote: Bucky Brooks made an observation about Brown.

He said while he performed well in his time at LT, it was on a predominantly run first team on a temporary basis.  He said he would be cautious about putting him in full time on a typical team on a full time basis.

I didn't see him much at LT that I remember.  I will withhold comment on him until I can go back and watch those games.

The PFF draft podcast gave a major buyer beware on Brown today too. Protecting for Lamar is just different from any other team. EDGEs literally never try inside moves because their #1 priority is keeping outside contain. They also use extra TE to stay and help block more than any other team.

If it were either just giving up the draft capital for Brown or just paying him then it would be easier to palate, but having to do both is too much risk for me.

I hope we're not big spenders in FA. Best to build through the draft and target players in the 2nd wave of free agency instead. We can still pick up quality starters, and instead of spending $20M a year on a. 33 year old LT, move up in the draft to around 15 or so to get Trevor's blind-side protector. It's a DEEP draft for O-line, WR, and CB so FA should focus on D-line, safety, and TE.

(02-17-2021, 06:35 PM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status...09120?s=21

That would be ideal. Then you draft RT competition to push Taylor.

I'd give Trent considerably more than 18-20M per year if they put in a hard out after 2-3 years too.

(02-17-2021, 06:45 PM)Upper Wrote: I'd give Trent considerably more than 18-20M per year if they put in a hard out after 2-3 years too.

Absolutely! Front load the crap out of that contract, so no one else can compete for him.

(02-17-2021, 06:45 PM)Upper Wrote: I'd give Trent considerably more than 18-20M per year if they put in a hard out after 2-3 years too.

3 years should be the max for the contract length imo. I think it would be foolish to give him a 4++ year deal. 2-3 years max and re-evaluate his play/situation then. Father time never loses and its only a matter of time before it gets him. Great OTs typically start to hit their decline at 32-33 years old.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2021, 09:13 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

I'd start at 20 but I'd make tied for the highest paid tackle in the league in his first few years.  I think he will have an impact on the oline like CC did on the dline.

Bakhtiari is 23 mil a year and the highest paid tackle and I'd give Williams that if need be

(02-17-2021, 06:35 PM)Upper Wrote: https://twitter.com/nfldraftbites/status...09120?s=21

[Image: my.gif]

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(02-17-2021, 09:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:

I'd start at 20 but I'd make tied for the highest paid tackle in the league in his first few years.  I think he will have an impact on the oline like CC did on the dline.

Bakhtiari is 23 mil a year and the highest paid tackle and I'd give Williams that if need be

Man, I don't really even have a max number I'd give on the first two years if there is a hard out after two years. I'd give him 4/100 if it was 30/30/20/20 with only the first 60M guaranteed.

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2021, 10:59 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-17-2021, 09:23 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 09:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd start at 20 but I'd make tied for the highest paid tackle in the league in his first few years.  I think he will have an impact on the oline like CC did on the dline.

Man, I don't really even have a max number I'd give on the first two years if there is a hard out after two years. I'd give him 4/100 if it was 30/30/20/20 with only the first 60M guaranteed.

I'm all for getting Williams, but at 30 mil a year, no thanks.  I know you like to give open check books but there always has to be a limit. Making him the highest paid is a take it or leave it

(02-17-2021, 10:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 09:23 PM)Upper Wrote: Man, I don't really even have a max number I'd give on the first two years if there is a hard out after two years. I'd give him 4/100 if it was 30/30/20/20 with only the first 60M guaranteed.

I'm all for getting Williams, but at 30 mil a year, no thanks.  I know you like to give open check books but there always has to be a limit. Making him the highest paid is a take it or leave it

I am an open checkbook when it comes to elite players at critical positions who will protect our brand new face of the franchise while we have the most cap space available in the league and no in house players to spend it on in the near future.

As long as there is a hard out in the next 2-3 years we could sign Trent to a record shattering deal and still have more than enough money to do whatever we want in FA/resigning our top players without the cap ever becoming even close to a problem.

(02-17-2021, 09:23 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 09:09 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'd start at 20 but I'd make tied for the highest paid tackle in the league in his first few years.  I think he will have an impact on the oline like CC did on the dline.

Agreed. As long as we're only paying big money the first 2 years and have an out clause in the 3rd year, pay him whatever it takes in the first 2 years. We have the cap space and LT is the second most important position on the team. We must protect Lawrence, no matter the cost.

(02-17-2021, 11:31 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 10:58 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: I'm all for getting Williams, but at 30 mil a year, no thanks.  I know you like to give open check books but there always has to be a limit.   Making him the highest paid is a take it or leave it

I am an open checkbook when it comes to elite players at critical positions who will protect our brand new face of the franchise while we have the most cap space available in the league and no in house players to spend it on in the near future.

As long as there is a hard out in the next 2-3 years we could sign Trent to a record shattering deal and still have more than enough money to do whatever we want in FA/resigning our top players without the cap ever becoming even close to a problem.
You like to do that all the time, you wanted to do the same thing with Yawn and Ramsey lol.  You always have to put a limit on a player or we will be right back to where we were again.  Good thing we got McCracken, I'm sure he will handle the cap a little better than just handing out blank checks

I definitely had limits on those two...you must be thinking of someone else.

(02-17-2021, 06:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:

That would be ideal. Then you draft RT competition to push Taylor.

I'm insecure enough that even if we sign him, I am still keying in on LT candidates at 25 and 33 as they fit. I'd love to have a guy ready to plug in with no drop-off as soon as Williams' age catches up to him or the contract elapses.

Keep the cabinet stocked!!

(02-18-2021, 09:32 AM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 06:42 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: That would be ideal. Then you draft RT competition to push Taylor.

I'm insecure enough that even if we sign him, I am still keying in on LT candidates at 25 and 33 as they fit. I'd love to have a guy ready to plug in with no drop-off as soon as Williams' age catches up to him or the contract elapses.

Keep the cabinet stocked!!

I feel the exact same way. I believe we have huge liabilities at both OT positions. Signing Williams would in no way stop me from selecting a really good OT from this loaded draft class. Best case scenario is that Williams is signed to play LT and we draft another OT who beats out Jawaan Taylor for the RT position. When Williams is done playing for the Jags, our RT can then slide over to the left side and we add another RT in about 3 years.