Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Agent wish list

A good SI article on Dawuane Smoot and free agency, quoting him wanting to return for the right money.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/shou...uane-smoot

In the end, it estimates his nearest value comparables for a new contract would be the recent Emmanuel Ogbah and Quinton Jefferson deals. These two deals averaged $6.75-7m per year (for 2 year deals). Would you re-sign Smoot for a price tag of about $7m per year? In my opinion, I would like him back, but it seems a little rich for a rotational defender.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 03:38 PM by CanDoBetter.)

He would be a backup in a 3-4. Gotsis would be a better 3-4 DE backup than him and I don't think we're resigning either of them.

Nah Smoot ain't worth that we can get his production from damn near any mid round draft pick for minimal salary.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 04:35 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-19-2021, 02:46 PM)ATLjag Wrote: A good SI article on Dawuane Smoot and free agency, quoting him wanting to return for the right money.
https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/shou...uane-smoot

In the end, it estimates his nearest value comparables for a new contract would be the recent Emmanuel Ogbah and Quinton Jefferson deals.  These two deals averaged $6.75-7m per year (for 2 year deals).  Would you re-sign Smoot for a price tag of about $7m per year?  In my opinion, I would like him back, but it seems a little rich for a rotational defender.

Yes. He is my priority, when it comes to our own free agents. Looking at the roster, we're gonna need big DE's to play 5 technique in 3-4 sets. Smoot is a proven commodity and should thrive in such a position. I believe he would be an automatic starter opposite Costin in 3-4 sets and that would be one less position we'd need to address in the first 2 days of the draft. $7 million a year is not much to pay for a starting DE. I'd hammer this deal out before free agency even starts.

(02-19-2021, 03:37 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: He would be a backup in a 3-4. Gotsis would be a better 3-4 DE backup than him and I don't think we're resigning either of them.

Disagree. What has Gotsis ever done? He's just a guy. At least Smoot can get to the QB.

(02-19-2021, 11:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 09:21 AM)Mikey Wrote: The point is that you're not using the early pick on a backup level OT. You are getting a quality OT, but not installing him as day one starter. If, like O-LM proposed, we start the draft pick on the right side, that allows our backup level OT (taylor, bartch) to be just that. Sometimes darft picks are taken with the future in mind. Assuming we pursue and land Williams, Cam is gone; Williams gets hurt, what's the plan?

Get the big guys early.

Where would I be getting a backup level OT? Jawaan Taylor is flat out bad. I believe the OT I select at #25 would beat him out for the starting job, day one. How does that equate to a backup OT? There are multiple OT's in this class that I truly believe would beat out Taylor for the RT job, immediately. I would definitely take one of them if they were there at #25. If I go into the season with Robinson or Taylor as my starting OT, I'm gonna be worried all year for the safety of Trevor Lawrence, because of their lack of pass blocking. I wanna be able to trust my OT's and right now, I don't at all. 
If Cam is gone and Williams gets hurt in your scenario, I keep the rookie I draft at #25 at RT and play Richardson at LT or vice versa. Although it's not an ideal situation due to injury, I feel way better about that lineup than I do starting Robinson or Taylor at either of the OT positions.

The idea was the early pick starts on the right, Taylor is relegated to the bench. He can start learning to play guard to serve as depth on the right side. If Richardson or Bartch outplay him, he gets to do some spectating. I think we're in agreement that he isn't starter material. We've got him for fairly cheap for another few years, let's see if we can't develop something out of him before tossing him on the heap is all I'm suggesting.

(02-19-2021, 04:43 PM)Mikey Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 11:09 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Where would I be getting a backup level OT? Jawaan Taylor is flat out bad. I believe the OT I select at #25 would beat him out for the starting job, day one. How does that equate to a backup OT? There are multiple OT's in this class that I truly believe would beat out Taylor for the RT job, immediately. I would definitely take one of them if they were there at #25. If I go into the season with Robinson or Taylor as my starting OT, I'm gonna be worried all year for the safety of Trevor Lawrence, because of their lack of pass blocking. I wanna be able to trust my OT's and right now, I don't at all. 
If Cam is gone and Williams gets hurt in your scenario, I keep the rookie I draft at #25 at RT and play Richardson at LT or vice versa. Although it's not an ideal situation due to injury, I feel way better about that lineup than I do starting Robinson or Taylor at either of the OT positions.

The idea was the early pick starts on the right, Taylor is relegated to the bench. He can start learning to play guard to serve as depth on the right side. If Richardson or Bartch outplay him, he gets to do some spectating. I think we're in agreement that he isn't starter material. We've got him for fairly cheap for another few years, let's see if we can't develop something out of him before tossing him on the heap is all I'm suggesting.

That's fine as long as he's not out there at RT, endangering Lawrence's health. Make him earn a starting position on the inside, but in the meantime both OT spots need to be addressed ASAP.

(02-19-2021, 04:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [quote pid='1362177' dateline='1613763463']
He would be a backup in a 3-4. Gotsis would be a better 3-4 DE backup than him and I don't think we're resigning either of them.

Disagree. What has Gotsis ever done? He's just a guy. At least Smoot can get to the QB.
[/quote]

You don't really need that from a 3-4 DE. That's the job for the pass rushers. 

Considering how vocal you've been about 3-4 you should know that.

(This post was last modified: 02-19-2021, 07:32 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-19-2021, 06:56 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 04:34 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [quote pid='1362177' dateline='1613763463']

You don't really need that from a 3-4 DE. That's the job for the pass rushers. 

Considering how vocal you've been about 3-4 you should know that.
[/quote]

Just because most of the pass rush normally comes from the OLB's in a 3-4 scheme, doesn't mean you don't try to generate some from every position. Aaron Donald, Quinnen Williams, Stephon Tuitt, Ndamukong Suh and Leonard Williams are all 3-4 DE's with great pass rushing abilities that help their team a great deal. Since Allen's production declined and Chaisson virtually did nothing last year, wouldn't it be smart to have as many pass rushers as we can at every position, regardless of scheme. We still have no idea what we have with our current OLB's (Allen and Chaisson), so I would try to generate a pass rush anywhere I can get it. Opposing QB's could've sat in the pocket and read a book, we were so bad last year. Smoot was our most consistent pass rusher last season and he wasn't even a starter. Why would you wanna give that up?

Let's sign Donald then. Or Williams or Suh.

Not that easy? Never knew there were downsides of a 3-4...Smoot is just a guy and can be replaced easily and where would you play him? He's not good enough to be a LB in a 4-2 and not good enough against the run to be a DE in 3-4.

It's as if you don't realize there are only a limited number of really good players at each position and the salary cap means you need to compromise and/or hit on your high draft picks.

What's more is that plenty of Jags fan argue as if all the other 31 teams(give or take a handful awful franchises) have 53 man rosters where every single man is a first team All-Pro. The reality is that even on the strongest rosters a majority of the players are easlly replaceable 'just a guy'-types.

So again: what do you need from your 3-4 DE backup? A runstopper or a pass rusher?

(02-20-2021, 06:11 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Let's sign Donald then. Or Williams or Suh.

Not that easy?  Never knew there were downsides of a 3-4...Smoot is just a guy and can be replaced easily and where would you play him? He's not good enough to be a LB in a 4-2 and not good enough against the run to be a DE in 3-4.

It's as if you don't realize there are only a limited number of really good players at each position and the salary cap means you need to compromise and/or hit on your high draft picks.

What's more is that plenty of Jags fan argue as if all the other 31 teams(give or take a handful awful franchises) have 53 man rosters where every single man is a first team All-Pro. The reality is that even on the strongest rosters a majority of the players are easlly replaceable 'just a guy'-types.

So again: what do you need from your 3-4  DE backup? A runstopper or a pass rusher?

I easily play him 3-4 DE. That's what he is made for. 

Dude, do you realize we have more cap money than any other team in the NFL? We don't need to worry about money this year. We just have to be careful for future years and how we structure contracts, so we don't end up like the how Saints currently are. Right now, we are in excellent shape though, so why not keep our best players? Keeping Gotsis over Smoot is just flat out, ignorant!

Who says we need an all-pro at every position? We're talking about Smoot. He's a pretty good player on a bad team. I wanna keep all the pretty good players that we have. I just want serviceable players at every starting position and we didn't even come close to having that last season. I don't know where you are coming up with this stuff? Nobody is asking for all-pros. That was never even mentioned. 

Ideally, I want someone who at least has the ability to do a little bit of both. I hate having one-dimensional players at any position. We desperately need to generate some kind of pass rush, because our secondary stinks! I don't trust either one of our current OLB's, so why not at least try to keep guys with some pass rushing abilities who can play DE? Nobody is saying Smoot is Suh or Donald, but he does have the ability to get to the QB and did so more than any of our other players last year and he wasn't even a starter.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 10:55 AM by JNev.)

I'm excited for Telvin, Calais, Yann, and Malik Jackson to be back next season! I think Barry Church and Gipson are probably available too

Malik Hooker would be a great signing. If not him I’ll take Tre Boston.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 11:39 AM by Upper.)

(02-20-2021, 10:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I easily play him 3-4 DE. That's what he is made for. 

Dude, do you realize we have more cap money than any other team in the NFL? We don't need to worry about money this year.

We have the money to pay him, but there are also a lot of better players we could sign for that same money in FA. Hell, let's bring Alualu back for a couple of years.

(02-20-2021, 11:38 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 10:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I easily play him 3-4 DE. That's what he is made for. 

Dude, do you realize we have more cap money than any other team in the NFL? We don't need to worry about money this year.

We have the money to pay him, but there are also a lot of better players we could sign for that same money in FA. Hell, let's bring Alualu back for a couple of years.

You completely overestimate what type of player is out there cheap.

(02-20-2021, 11:42 AM)Predator Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 11:38 AM)Upper Wrote: We have the money to pay him, but there are also a lot of better players we could sign for that same money in FA. Hell, let's bring Alualu back for a couple of years.

You completely overestimate what type of player is out there cheap.

PFFs top 150 FAs has half a dozen DIs in the ~6-7M predicted range. Smoot is not on the list.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 12:13 PM by CanDoBetter.)

(02-20-2021, 10:43 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 06:11 AM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Let's sign Donald then. Or Williams or Suh.

Not that easy?  Never knew there were downsides of a 3-4...Smoot is just a guy and can be replaced easily and where would you play him? He's not good enough to be a LB in a 4-2 and not good enough against the run to be a DE in 3-4.

So again: what do you need from your 3-4  DE backup? A runstopper or a pass rusher?

I easily play him 3-4 DE. That's what he is made for. 

Dude, do you realize we have more cap money than any other team in the NFL? We don't need to worry about money this year. We just have to be careful for future years and how we structure contracts, so we don't end up like the how Saints currently are. Right now, we are in excellent shape though, so why not keep our best players? Keeping Gotsis over Smoot is just flat out, ignorant!

Who says we need an all-pro at every position? We're talking about Smoot. He's a pretty good player on a bad team. I wanna keep all the pretty good players that we have. I just want serviceable players at every starting position and we didn't even come close to having that last season. I don't know where you are coming up with this stuff? Nobody is asking for all-pros. That was never even mentioned. 

Ideally, I want someone who at least has the ability to do a little bit of both. I hate having one-dimensional players at any position. We desperately need to generate some kind of pass rush, because our secondary stinks! I don't trust either one of our current OLB's, so why not at least try to keep guys with some pass rushing abilities who can play DE? Nobody is saying Smoot is Suh or Donald, but he does have the ability to get to the QB and did so more than any of our other players last year and he wasn't even a starter.

Good that we don't have any other holes so you can spend a fortune on a backup. You still don't get that the multidimensional 3-4 DE you're looking for isn't available unless we somehow can get JJ Watt to come here. Then we can use Costin, Hamilton or someone else of our current starters as backup. 

Smoot is just a guy. I can't believe you're willing to die on that hill.

PS I said I don't think they're keeping any of them. It's not like I will worry about that.

(02-20-2021, 12:11 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Smoot is just a guy. I can't believe you're willing to die on that hill.

Speaking of just a guy...we could bring in Lawrence Guy for the same amount and receive a significantly better player.

(02-20-2021, 12:04 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 11:42 AM)Predator Wrote: You completely overestimate what type of player is out there cheap.

PFFs top 150 FAs has half a dozen DIs in the ~6-7M predicted range. Smoot is not on the list.

They also rank guys based on hoping they will perform like they did 3 years ago, not on what they have done the past 2 seasons.

(02-20-2021, 11:38 AM)Upper Wrote:

Why? Alualu is not better than Smoot. Not by a long shot. 

I'm not saying we shouldn't bring in other DE/DT types. We should. We only have Costin under contract to play DE in 3-4 sets, so we definitely need depth. If you think we're gonna find better DE's at that low price, you are mistaken. DE's with any kind of pass rush ability at all are gonna command much more. Every year the price for skilled players at each position, rises.

(This post was last modified: 02-20-2021, 01:25 PM by TheO-LineMatters.)

(02-20-2021, 12:11 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote:

Good that we don't have any other holes so you can spend a fortune on a backup. You still don't get that the multidimensional 3-4 DE you're looking for isn't available unless we somehow can get JJ Watt to come here. Then we can use Costin, Hamilton or someone else of our current starters as backup. 

Smoot is just a guy. I can't believe you're willing to die on that hill.

PS I said I don't think they're keeping any of them. It's not like I will worry about that.

That is far from a fortune in today's NFL. Not even close. Yes, you can get multi-dimensional DE's. You just have to look for them. I'm not talking about getting guys with double digit sack numbers. Those guys are few and far between and would cost a fortune. I just want guys that can get about 5 sacks off the edge, in 3-4 sets. We have to generate a pass rush somewhere and I don't trust our current OLB's to do that. Yes, we have Costin, but we need much more than one DE/DT to play 5 technique. Hamilton is gonna be our starting NT. He played very well last year once Jones got injured and he took the starting spot. Our run defense was much better with him starting, but once Hamilton got injured, the run defense went right back to sucking. 

I'm not dying on any hill. I just don't understand wanting to get rid of the only guy we had last season that showed any kind of pass rush ability, over a mid range $7 million a year contract.

(02-20-2021, 12:14 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-20-2021, 12:11 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: Smoot is just a guy. I can't believe you're willing to die on that hill.

Speaking of just a guy...we could bring in Lawrence Guy for the same amount and receive a significantly better player.

Guy is not better at all.