Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Free Agent wish list

(02-07-2021, 11:38 PM)enigma Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 11:32 PM)Upper Wrote: Shaq Barrett should be firmly on our radar too.

He definitely secured his own bag after his Super Bowl performance tonight.

Lots of people have been connecting Judon with us since we hired half of the Ravens defensive coaches, but Barrett is a way better player.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(02-08-2021, 12:52 AM)Upper Wrote:
(02-07-2021, 11:38 PM)enigma Wrote: He definitely secured his own bag after his Super Bowl performance tonight.

Lots of people have been connecting Judon with us since we hired half of the Ravens defensive coaches, but Barrett is a way better player.

He will cost much more money than Judon and he's been one of the best defensive payers in the league over the last few years not just last night.  I'd love Barrett but I think Meyer will see Allen and Chaisson as our OLBs and not spent that kind of money.  Hopefully we throw than money at Trent Williams

(02-08-2021, 07:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 12:52 AM)Upper Wrote: Lots of people have been connecting Judon with us since we hired half of the Ravens defensive coaches, but Barrett is a way better player.

He will cost much more money than Judon and he's been one of the best defensive payers in the league over the last few years not just last night.  I'd love Barrett but I think Meyer will see Allen and Chaisson as our OLBs and not spent that kind of money.  Hopefully we throw than money at Trent Williams

I agree completely with these sentiments, especially your closing line.  I think Trent Williams, despite his age and contract demands, should be this team's top FA priority.  If he came anywhere close to playing at last year's level, he would represent a huge upgrade for us at the most important position.

While LB would be a priority if we switch to a 3-4, I think ILB would be as much of a priority as OLB/Edge, but there hasn't been much ILB conversation among Jaguars fans/observers.  I am as guilty as not prioritizing them much at all in any mocks I do.  All things considered, I think for our first year running a 3-4, we're decently set up at starting LB, assuming Chaisson is better standing up than in a 3 point stance and depending on the scheme.  If we employ a scheme that requires the OLBs to drop in coverage a lot (think early Patriots) then Chaisson would not fare well.  I think he needs to spend the bulk of his time going forward, after the passer.  Josh Allen, however, could do anything in any scheme assuming he's healthy.  As for the inside guys, I think Jack might have problems taking on guards, while Schoebert might have limits in coverage.  Not sure we have much behind them, though.  Between free agency and the draft, I would think we bring in at least 3 LBs.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 11:52 AM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-08-2021, 10:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 07:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:   He will cost much more money than Judon and he's been one of the best defensive payers in the league over the last few years not just last night.  I'd love Barrett but I think Meyer will see Allen and Chaisson as our OLBs and not spent that kind of money.  Hopefully we throw than money at Trent Williams

I agree completely with these sentiments, especially your closing line.  I think Trent Williams, despite his age and contract demands, should be this team's top FA priority.  If he came anywhere close to playing at last year's level, he would represent a huge upgrade for us at the most important position.

While LB would be a priority if we switch to a 3-4, I think ILB would be as much of a priority as OLB/Edge, but there hasn't been much ILB conversation among Jaguars fans/observers.  I am as guilty as not prioritizing them much at all in any mocks I do.  All things considered, I think for our first year running a 3-4, we're decently set up at starting LB, assuming Chaisson is better standing up than in a 3 point stance and depending on the scheme.  If we employ a scheme that requires the OLBs to drop in coverage a lot (think early Patriots) then Chaisson would not fare well.  I think he needs to spend the bulk of his time going forward, after the passer.  Josh Allen, however, could do anything in any scheme assuming he's healthy.  As for the inside guys, I think Jack might have problems taking on guards, while Schoebert might have limits in coverage.  Not sure we have much behind them, though.  Between free agency and the draft, I would think we bring in at least 3 LBs.
Zaven Collins, dude is maybe my favorite definsive player in the draft and I'd think about him at 25 and I'd definitely take him at 33 if he's there.  To be honest I think he will be gone by 25 though.  He reminds me of Brian Urlacher, dude Flys all over the place and has All Pro potential imo.  We can't forget about Shaq Quarterman though who I feel is better suited for a 3-4 MLB, who just needs to put on a little weight imo but he plays much stronger than his listed weight and looks bigger.  I still wouldn't pass on Collins though because we have Quarterman and Scobert, I think dude is gonna be a star

(02-08-2021, 07:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 12:52 AM)Upper Wrote: Lots of people have been connecting Judon with us since we hired half of the Ravens defensive coaches, but Barrett is a way better player.

The FA prediction articles I've seen have all had Judon getting significantly more than Barrett. ~25M AAV for Trent, ~15M for Barrett, ~10M for Johnson III, and ~10M for Jonnu and roll the 20M left over into next year.

(02-08-2021, 02:21 PM)Upper Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 07:28 AM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:   He will cost much more money than Judon and he's been one of the best defensive payers in the league over the last few years not just last night.  I'd love Barrett but I think Meyer will see Allen and Chaisson as our OLBs and not spent that kind of money.  Hopefully we throw than money at Trent Williams

The FA prediction articles I've seen have all had Judon getting significantly more than Barrett. ~25M AAV for Trent, ~15M for Barrett, ~10M for Johnson III, and ~10M for Jonnu and roll the 20M left over into next year.
In.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 04:04 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-08-2021, 02:21 PM)Upper Wrote:

The older Judon is going to get more than one of the best pass rushers in the league?  I just find it hard to believe unless he stays in TB.  Led the league in sacks last year and led the league in pressures this year. More pressures over the last 2 years than any player

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1356626183765516288?s=19

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 07:04 PM by Predator.)

(02-08-2021, 10:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote:

I think Trent Williams is more appropriate for a team trying to win now not for one in the process of rebuilding.

With so many positions on this team in need of upgrade, I think it's too early to invest that much cap space in one player.

I think the team would be better served using that cap space to bring in a broad range of players in order to increase the odds of finding a core group of talent that works.

After you find that core, then you can start targeting individual players and offering big contracts to fill the remaining roster holes.

I do think we need to get better play from that position and should be addressed in the offseason, I just don't think we need to break the bank on any player while the roster is likely multiple years of development away from being able to reap the full benefits of that player.

Also, a big contract now and it's impact on future salary caps could potentially hamstring your rebuilding efforts before they are completed.

(02-08-2021, 07:02 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I agree completely with these sentiments, especially your closing line.  I think Trent Williams, despite his age and contract demands, should be this team's top FA priority.  If he came anywhere close to playing at last year's level, he would represent a huge upgrade for us at the most important position.

I think Trent Williams is more appropriate for a team trying to win now not for one in the process of rebuilding.

With so many positions on this team in need of upgrade, I think it's too early to invest that much cap space in one player.

I think the team would be better served using that cap space to bring in a broad range of players in order to increase the odds of finding a core group of talent that works.

After you find that core, then you can start targeting individual players and offering big contracts to fill the remaining roster holes.

I do think we need to get better play from that position and should be addressed in the offseason, I just don't think we need to break the bank on any player while the roster is likely  multiple years of development away from being able to reap the full benefits of that player.

Also, a big contract now and it's impact on future salary caps could potentially hamstring your rebuilding efforts before they are completed.

What? Trent Williams should be brought in to keep our incumbent QB upright. Look no further than last year's number one pick. That is all, carry on...
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

I focus on landing Trent Williams, Jonnu Smith, one of the top Safeties and re-signing Smoot and Cole. If we could do that, we are well on our way to success. If we can't get Trent Williams then a defensive lineman like Leonard Williams, Trey Hendrickson or Kerry Hyder would move up on the priority list to play 3-4 DE.

Not sure why people are so high on Jonnu Smith in here. Hes a good blocker but dude has never even broke 450 receiving yards in a season. I want Hunter Henry or draft Freiermuth

(02-08-2021, 07:21 PM)JaG4LyFe Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 07:02 PM)Predator Wrote: I think Trent Williams is more appropriate for a team trying to win now not for one in the process of rebuilding.

I do think we need to get better play from that position and should be addressed in the offseason, I just don't think we need to break the bank on any player while the roster is likely  multiple years of development away from being able to reap the full benefits of that player.

What? Trent Williams should be brought in to keep our incumbent QB upright. Look no further than last year's number one pick. That is all, carry on...

The bengals LT made his block perfectly. It was the LG and RT who missed the blocks that hurt Burrows.

Like I said, you are better off investing your resources to improve multiple positions during a rebuild rather than making a huge investment in just one.

(02-08-2021, 07:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not sure why people are so high on Jonnu Smith in here.  Hes a good blocker but dude has never even broke 450 receiving yards in a season.  I want Hunter Henry or draft Freiermuth

Hunter Henry is hurt a lot and misses too much time and I don't want to waste a high pick on a TE. They take too long to develop.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 07:54 PM by flgatorsandjags.)

(02-08-2021, 07:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 07:46 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: Not sure why people are so high on Jonnu Smith in here.  Hes a good blocker but dude has never even broke 450 receiving yards in a season.  I want Hunter Henry or draft Freiermuth

Hunter Henry is hurt a lot and misses too much time and I don't want to waste a high pick on a TE. They take too long to develop.

He missed the same amount of games Smith did last year, 2.  Not all TEs take a long time to develop. Most of the good ones lit it up in years 2, if you feel there is a TE in the draft that will be good we need to take him.  I think Freiermuth could put up at least 400 yards as a rookie with some TDs, which is aobut what you will get from Jonnu Smith

(02-08-2021, 07:53 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 07:48 PM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: Hunter Henry is hurt a lot and misses too much time and I don't want to waste a high pick on a TE. They take too long to develop.

He missed the same amount of games Smith did last year, 2.  Not all TEs take a long time to develop. Most of the good ones lit it up in years 2, if you feel there is a TE in the draft that will be good we need to take him.  I think Freiermuth could put up at least 400 yards as a rookie with some TDs, which is aobut what you will get from Jonnu Smith

I like the idea of Freiermuth. He fills a need and is projected to go somewhere around where we have two draft picks.

If he still available when we are picking, I think it would be pretty hard for us to pass up on him.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 09:46 PM by Upper.)

Using a very valuable top 50 pick on Freiermuth when there are 3 or 4 good TE candidates in FA is a waste of opportunity cost even if Freiermuth was the rare TE that produced early. Taking him ahead of someone like Nixon or McNeil (among many others) would be crazy. Same with safety. Sign a good TE and a good S and use the picks on positions that are not so deep in FA.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 09:54 PM by Bullseye.)

(02-08-2021, 07:02 PM)Predator Wrote:
(02-08-2021, 10:54 AM)Bullseye Wrote: I agree completely with these sentiments, especially your closing line.  I think Trent Williams, despite his age and contract demands, should be this team's top FA priority.  If he came anywhere close to playing at last year's level, he would represent a huge upgrade for us at the most important position.

As usual we disagree Laughing  , but yours is not an unreasonable take by any means.

When TC built this team the first time, his model free agent was 26 years old.  Indeed, as a general rule of thumb, I agree that free agents should be younger, especially for a team like ours that is rebuilding from the ground up.

But there are reasons/advantages to going after Williams.

1.  As discussed earlier, he would provide an immediate and substantial upgrade at a premium position.  After QB, LT is the most important position on offense.  It's not often a LT of that caliber becomes available.  We should take advantage of that opportunity.

2.  We have the cap room now to absorb the cap hit.  Furthermore with the cap going down, we are at an advantage over other teams who are stressed for cap room and will be precluded from bidding on him for that reason.  We'll have the maneuverability we need in the future if we structure his deal right.  By the time we need to re-sign Lawrence, Williams' contract can be trimmed from the cap if too burdensome.

3.  Signing Williams should give us time.  If we have him, we don't have to worry about a rookie LT trying to protect his blind side while he develops.  A left side of Williams, NNorwell and Linder should provide knowledge, experience and ability to provide ample protection for Lawrence-at least from that side of the line.  As Lawrence learns to read NFL defenses and identify blitzers more efficiently he'll have that protection he needs. By the time we have to replace Williams, Lawrence can do a better job of protecting himself.  In his early years, we can draft linemen, develop depth and groom Williams replacement then, with an experienced and savvy Lawrence now at the helm.

4.  Signing Williams helps us in the draft.  As I also discussed earlier, signing Williams frees up our draft after Lawrence.  Instead of maybe forcing a pick on a LT who may or may not be worth it at 25 or 33 or 45, we could feel free to pick the best player.  If we signed Williams, perhaps in the next year or two, we'll be higher in the draft pool and may be able to spend a higher pick on a LT prospect that may be worth it.  LT is a premium position, and the best ones tend to go very high.  This may be a deep T class, but I get the sense that given the draft order and the importance of the position, we may be picking from the remains after other teams have scavenged from the top.  If we sign Williams and there is still a T on the board worth it at 25, we could still draft him there and, by and large, be finished building the O-Line.  The drafted T would compete with Taylor at RT, with the loser either sliding inside to possibly upgrade Cann or at minimum, provide depth at T. 

We saw in last night's game what the lack of quality T depth can do to even a great QB.  We've seen what happened to Andrew Luck's career when he was not adequately protected.  We saw what happened to last year's #1 overall pick.  If we have any interest in avoiding these things with Lawrence, we need smart and effective investment in the offensive line, especially at LT.  Williams would certainly upgrade the most important position.  We have the cap space to bring him in.  Signing him gives us time and draft flexibility to do it, to the point of completing the OL for the next few years and giving us depth.

Though Williams is older and more expensive than what would ordinarily be preferred, he is the smart and effective investment we need at the most important position in the OL.

(01-20-2021, 04:25 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote: I didn't see this thread yet. Who is on your FA wish list? (Not counting Jags potential FA departures like Cole, Smoot, Jones)

Mine are:

Hunter Henry or Zach Ertz if released
ARob
Trent Williams (if we don't address LT some other way)
Marcus Williams
Leonard Williams

Apparently it's the year of Williams.

I think Trent Williams should be our tpp priority.  I wouldn't mind adding Brandon Scherff, either.

There are a few defensive players I wouldn't mind signing.

I expect at least one Ravens defender to sign.  Usually when a new scheme is installed by a coach that has come from elsewhere, it's common that coach will bring in a player or two who fits and knows the scheme.

Leonard Williams would be a good fit, too, but I know T. Williams, Scherff, and L. Williams isn't likely and may not be feasible without further roster cuts from this end.

Probably because he always tears the jags up.

(This post was last modified: 02-08-2021, 11:16 PM by Upper.)

Jonnu was the third target on the run heaviest team in the league. Of course his overall numbers are going to be underwhelming. Just watch the games and it's easy to see how important his splash plays are and how he could easily see a statistical breakout in a bigger role.

As I've said a few times I would also be very happy giving Mo Alie-Cox the expanded role that he has shown he deserves the last few years too. Here is PFFs blurb on his 2020 season:

82. TE MO ALIE-COX, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Injuries opened the door for Mo Alie-Cox to have an expanded role in 2020. While he still only played 527 snaps, it was by far the most of his career and he showed a huge uptick in production. Alie-Cox saw 40 targets this season, more than three times his previous career high; 87.5% of the targets thrown his way were caught and he generated a passer rating for Philip Rivers of 106.9.