Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jaguars expected to hire Ex Lions Interm HC Darrell Bevell as OC

We have free agency, draft and off season. Going to save freak out until 2021 season is in the books. We will see enough by then to see positive trends.
The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(01-21-2021, 08:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1341579536216039425?s=20

I believe there are two key reasons why Matthew Stafford performed better in the games this season that Darrell Bevell was Interim HC than when Matt Patricia was HC:

1. Under Bevell, the Lions opened up the vertical game much more with Kenny Golladay out with injury than in the many games that Golladay was out earlier in the season.  

2. Bevell provided much needed fresh air to the Lions after the rigidity of Patricia being lifted.  The vast majority of Lions players responded favorably to Bevell as Interim HC. 

In addition to the vast NFL Offensive Coordinator experience Bevell would bring to the Jaguars if he becomes their OC, his 4 games and 5 weeks of gaining NFL HC experience should help Urban Meyer, as Meyer makes the transition to being an NFL HC.

(01-22-2021, 12:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheJaguarsWire/statu...68064?s=20

I think it's a huge plus. 

Matthew Stafford was having his best season in 2019 before he suffered what became a season ending back injury at the midway point of the season. That was Darrell Bevell's first of 2 seasons with the Lions. Stafford was combining being highly effective with vertical passing, with good decision making.  

On a related note, Darrell Bevell becoming Lions OC provided Stafford with a much needed bridge in dealing with Matt Patricia. Bevell's people skills and communication skills are substantial assets.

(01-22-2021, 12:42 AM)D6 Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 08:47 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: https://twitter.com/PFF/status/1341579536216039425?s=20

I believe there are two key reasons why Matthew Stafford performed better in the games this season that Darrell Bevell was Interim HC than when Matt Patricia was HC:

1. Under Bevell, the Lions opened up the vertical game much more with Kenny Golladay out with injury than in the many games that Golladay was out earlier in the season.  

2. Bevell provided much needed fresh air to the Lions after the rigidity of Patricia being lifted.  The vast majority of Lions players responded favorably to Bevell as Interim HC. 

In addition to the vast NFL Offensive Coordinator experience Bevell would bring to the Jaguars if he becomes their OC, his 4 games and 5 weeks of gaining NFL HC experience should help Urban Meyer, as Meyer makes the transition to being an NFL HC.
It also helps when you finally give your stud running back playing time and the ball.

It was egregious that Peterson and Kerryon took snaps from Swift.

(01-22-2021, 12:57 AM)D6 Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:45 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheJaguarsWire/statu...68064?s=20

I think it's a huge plus. 

Matthew Stafford was having his best season in 2019 before he suffered what became a season ending back injury at the midway point of the season. That was Darrell Bevell's first of 2 seasons with the Lions. Stafford was combining being highly effective with vertical passing, with good decision making.  

On a related note, Darrell Bevell becoming Lions OC provided Stafford with a much needed bridge in dealing with Matt Patricia. Bevell's people skills and communication skills are substantial assets.

Your insight and perspective are always valuable on this board, D6. 
Especially in moments like these. Thanks ! 

Hope we get to see your Bevell observations put into regular practice in Jax soon.

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 10:41 AM by Brett.)

Here is the great insight I bring into this topic:

[Image: 7BBC2CXZ2VCOJPSK5X2QTJ77OM.jpg]

You're welcome.

But in all seriousness, I like this hire. It seems everyone looks down upon every hire but I'm willing to stay positive.

Looks like a good choice. Lors of success, lots of NFL experience, good with QBs. I think he'll help Meyer and TL this year.
[Image: badbaalke.jpg]

(01-21-2021, 08:09 PM)Jags32250 Wrote: Every single hire and the board implodes.

Let’s see what happens folks.

A group of negative Nancy's.

He is a Brad Childress understudy who in turn learned under Andy Reid in Philly. I watched Bevells offense in Mn, though i think it was more Childress’s than his and it was tough to watch sometimes, but when they got the right QB to run the offense it was a well oiled machine under Favre. I hold judgment until i see what he does with the Jags, Imagine he has evolved over the years simce his time in Minnesota.
[img]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/1a8a2498-9833-4b7d-8cc7-5e45aa36d9f6[/img][img=648x560]blob:https://www.duvalpride.com/cfd7a344-8206-4fed-a4c4-6536e150b1a7[/img]

(This post was last modified: 01-22-2021, 02:52 PM by Jag88.)

We will see. Sounds good from what im reading. Im more concerned to see how the new defense looks.

(01-22-2021, 08:35 AM)Cleatwood Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:42 AM)D6 Wrote: I believe there are two key reasons why Matthew Stafford performed better in the games this season that Darrell Bevell was Interim HC than when Matt Patricia was HC:

It also helps when you finally give your stud running back playing time and the ball.

It was egregious that Peterson and Kerryon took snaps from Swift.
Even Adrian Peterson felt that D'Andre Swift should have moved ahead of him in the Lions RB pecking order sooner. 

Adrian Peterson Says Lions Should Have Started D'Andre Swift Sooner - Sports Illustrated Detroit Lions News, Analysis and More

Whether it was because it was Matt Patricia's decision to rely more on the long time veteran Peterson ( experience is an emphasis with the 'Patriot Way ) or it was Darrell Bevell's decision to go with Peterson more ( they have had a football relationship going back to 2007 in Minnesota ) , is unclear.

(01-22-2021, 08:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 12:57 AM)D6 Wrote: I think it's a huge plus. 

Your insight and perspective are always valuable on this board, D6. 

Hope we get to see your Bevell observations put into regular practice in Jax soon.

Thanks, NYC4jags!

One additional thought about Darrell Bevell as a play caller comes to mind at this time. Bevell likes gadget plays. One player used on a number of gadget plays is Jamal Agnew, who is scheduled to become an UFA in 2021. Agnew is a differential Returner on Special Teams. He was a backup Nickel CB before being converted to WR in 2020.   Even before the conversion to WR, Bevell and prior Offensive Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter used Agnew on some gadget plays on Offense. 

(01-22-2021, 03:23 PM)D6 Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 08:39 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: Your insight and perspective are always valuable on this board, D6. 

Thanks, NYC4jags!

One additional thought about Darrell Bevell as a play caller comes to mind at this time. Bevell likes gadget plays. One player used on a number of gadget plays is Jamal Agnew, who is scheduled to become an UFA in 2021. Agnew is a differential Returner on Special Teams. He was a backup Nickel CB before being converted to WR in 2020.   Even before the conversion to WR, Bevell and prior Offensive Coordinator Jim Bob Cooter used Agnew on some gadget plays on Offense. 

I could see that resulting in some interesting packages for Shenault

(01-23-2021, 05:32 PM)imtheblkranger Wrote:
(01-22-2021, 03:23 PM)D6 Wrote: Thanks, NYC4jags!

I could see that resulting in some interesting packages for Shenault

Definitely!

From a potential standpoint, Laviska Shenault reminds me of a much bigger version of Golden Tate.  

Though Golden Tate was no longer with the Lions when Darrell Bevell became Offensive Coordinator, Bevell was the Seahawks OC in Tate's final 3 seasons in Seattle.. 

Lots of optimism about Bevell coming to Jacksonville. Apparently the talent around him made him look better with the other teams.

If Bevell is retained this year there may be a riot outside the stadium.
[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

BahahajahahahHa

Imagine this Bevell had some success with HoF QBs and RBs... (Think those Sea and Min teams had good defense too)
And not so much without.

I didn't like the Bevell hire from the beginning, just like I didn't like when Meyer was hired or Baalke. With every game we play, things go from bad to worse.

(11-22-2021, 11:08 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: I didn't like the Bevell hire from the beginning, just like I didn't like when Meyer was hired or Baalke. With every game we play, things go from bad to worse.

Agreed. Got bashed as a jaded gator fan when I spoke against Urban. I was indifferent on the staff he built cuz a fish rots from the head down.
Nanny nanny boo boo losers hahahaha.